• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

just washed my flagship android phone in the damn washing machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The CEO of Levi's doesnt was his jeans. Should have followed in his footsteps, bro.

Someone should tell him that cotton breathes.
And that he smells.

Roo

I know you don't have rice but you definitely should buy some asap
litter has dust that can get inside the phone fucking things up even more.
Just don't leave it there.

The Beard

Are you still within the return period ? Just be like,

"Hey, this damn Samsung Flagship phone you sold me just stopped working."

"Ok sir, may I have a look."

"Surely"

"Why is it all caked up with cat litter ?"

"Whaaaaaat ? Let me see that !"

*take the phone back, turn around, and run for your life.

If he bought the phone with an Amex or Chase Freedom card, I believe they have some form of accident protection that could get him something back for his amphibious phone

see5harp

Did you write that before the cat litter was in it or after? Because that's pretty good handwriting if it was the latter.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Walk in there saying you were hit with a water hose, blame someone on it, and see what they say. I'd do it quick, but standing around won't fix it

I'm pretty sure when using cat litter to dry up wet electronics, you need the silica gel cat litter which looks kinda clear and just sucks up moisture. Not the typical clay that'll end up sticking together and getting in your speaker holes. :I Plain ol' rice works as well.

Praying for you phone, man.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Man something about that bag being appropriately labeled is fucking hilarious to me.

If it doesn't work out, just draw a little tombstone around it, add an epitaph and you're good to go.

---

I think it might turn out ok. Being totally submerged could be better since the whole thing is grounded with water rather than just shorting out with a few drops.

I had something similar happen and found the rice bag thing didn't work out that well for me. I live in a very dry area so I just kept a fan on mine for a day and then it was fine.

I'd say take out the battery, but Samsung removed that capability too.

I took it out to clean the ports and I think I accidentally pressed the power button.

Damn, I hope not.

I wrecked a good IBM Model M keyboard from 1985 by dropping a glass of water on it. I tried to dry it but some keys didn't respond anymore. Sucks when good electronics die that way. Good luck, dude.

jyoung188

I did that with a blackberry years ago. It went through a full wash AND dry cycle and it worked like a champ after. I don't know if these newer phones handle that kind of abuse.

Edit: I also spilled an entire glass of water on my 2009 MacBook Pro, directly on the keyboard, while it was on, and I still use it to this day. I took it apart as much as I could and let it dry out for a week and it's worked fine since.

smurfx

get some go again
bsp_zpsp60gvd2i.jpg
lol

Hrothgar

If I'm going to get something it would be silica gel but I don't even have a damn cat and I was really excited to find a use for this cat litter. It's unscented.

Silica gel would just get into every tiny damn hole and cause more issues than the water itself.

Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member Member with a nice chair, nice beard, nice wall hooks, a broken phone and a broken TV

Man something about that bag being appropriately labeled is fucking hilarious to me.

Yep this. Sorry OP.

If it's any consolation I put my phone through a wash once, left it in rice for 48 hours and it worked like a champ.

I then proceeded to drop it in the toilet while having a piss when drunk. Still worked. Did kinda smell funny though...

Aren't most phones submergible in water up to a certain point or is that just Sony Xperia phones?

Sorry BlameSpace. Have any insurance on it?

Symphonia

Banned
Why does the bag need to be dated?
It strikes me as odd, and quite comical, that the label is so detailed. I can picture BS having an airing cupboard just full with similar bags labelled in a similar manner. iPhones, iPads, iPods, tablets, and other smartphones just stashed away and left to dry in cat litter. Though that itself confuses me. Why cat litter? BS sure is a strange specimen.

Jacobi

Banned
My iphone fell in the toilet yesterday. Works pretty well again (some weird screen bugs and wifi isnt working) so there's still hope.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I put my phone in the wash once.

I left it to dry for 3 days but it didn't work so I took it apart and it still had water in it. It had gotten into every bit of the phone and killed it.

on the plus side it smelt really nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom