• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justice League apparently stinks, because of course

Big Blue

JQvKVfx.gif

Wow, just wow.

BvS was one of the worst Superhero films I've ever seen, Suicide Squad was awful and MOS was mediocre....but for some reason after WW was a pleasant surprise I didn't think they'd screw this up despite not being impressed with the trailers. It seemed like an easy win.

They pretty much had to go with what they had (everything was ready as BVS released). However after the negative reaction they rewrote on the fly.... then the reshoots and this is the end result.

Seeing it in 10 minutes, even for free I'm still wondering if its the best use of my time.

I don't get the appeal of Cyborg as a member of JL. Just feels wrong to me. As a standalone hero like Robocop or something, sure. But fighting alongside Batman and Supes just doesn't do it for me. He'd be fine as a villain, I guess. The only incarnation of the character I like is from Teen Titans Go and even then I don't really like him that much. And the name "Cyborg" is pretty unimaginative. Now you're going to ask how it is worse than Batman or Superman or Wonder Woman, but those sort've roll off the tongue, and have the word man/woman in them. Batman is a bat man, but at least "Batman" isn't a commonly used term everywhere else in Sci Fi like cyborg is. Now if he was named "Borgman" then that would at least be better. I dunno.

wondermega

I don't get the appeal of Cyborg as a member of JL. Just feels wrong to me. As a standalone hero like Robocop or something, sure. But fighting alongside Batman and Supes just doesn't do it for me. He'd be fine as a villain, I guess. The only incarnation of the character I like is from Teen Titans Go and even then I don't really like him that much. And the name "Cyborg" is pretty unimaginative. Now you're going to ask how it is worse than Batman or Superman or Wonder Woman, but those sort've roll off the tongue, and have the word man/woman in them. Batman is a bat man, but at least "Batman" isn't a commonly used term everywhere else in Sci Fi like cyborg is. Now if he was named "Borgman" then that would at least be better. I dunno.

Come on dude. He's the team's Tragic Iron Man. As for the name, at the time (early 80s) it wasn't super overused everywhere and sounded kind of cool. Everything starts sounding ridiculous once you start repeating it to yourself..

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I will watch it on an airplane or HBO go. Promise.

As expected the movie blows, will not go see. Will probably bomb at the box office like BvS. There's no hype or buzz for this movie. Theatres were like ½ sold out here in my city on opening day.

black_13

Banned
Didn't expect much since it was still Snyder behind most of it. They should've just scrapped the whole thing and let Joss make it from scratch. Whedon coming in at last second and trying to do reshoots is like trying to polish a turd.

Big Blue

I don't mind it, but he had no business replacing Green Lantern. It's a joke.

M.W.

Shocker. MoS is still one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

BvS is horrendous. This is apparently ass as well. Trifecta.

gioGAF

I am disappointed. I was really hoping this would be at least mediocre like most of their other films (except for BvS which is horrendous and Wonder Woman which I thought was good).

luxsol

This is what kills me. You haven't even seen the movie and have no real basis of judgment for how the characters are treated, but you have no problem spouting bullshit about how awful they're handled. You're not alone in this so I don't mean to be picking on you, but it's just a kick in the dick to me because I WANT these movies to be good and want them to continue to improve.

It's not like if JL bombs that WB will suddenly say "Hey, let's get Scorcese to make these movies!" they're just gonna stop making them. So the best hope for better versions of these characters are for the success of each movie. Not the failure.

Oh well. I'm probably caring too much about this shit now lol.

I'm not spouting anything bad about this movie, just stating my bias based on what they have produced thus far. All the previous movies, their characterizations, and designs have been awful.

Grinchy

Banned
I had some problems with BvS, but still enjoyed it. I'll give this a shot.

Suicide Squad was an unwatchable mess.

Just came back from seeing it. Nowhere near as bad as people are making it out to be. While not an amazing movie, it's perfectly entertaining.

The cast work off each other really well, and while they were all good in their respective roles, Ezra Miller was the definite standout of the bunch.

Regarding the tone, you can definitely tell two directors had their hand in this but it's not as bad as I thought it would be. For the most part, it does kinda flow.

My one major gripe is I feel it should have been a bit longer if only to get a better feel for Flash, Cyborg, and Aquaman.

The villain was incredibly forgettable and generic but then again, that can be said about a lot of Marvel villains as well.

Overall, I'd say it was a 7/10.

Tosyn_88

Come on dude. He's the team's Tragic Iron Man. As for the name, at the time (early 80s) it wasn't super overused everywhere and sounded kind of cool. Everything starts sounding ridiculous once you start repeating it to yourself..

I think there's also the need from a marketing perspective to have a robot to appeal to Asia and also to have the only known black hero in as well. I'd be honest, I don't like the character, even from the comics. His design just doesn't appeal at all. He looks like something someone and his kid came up with.

Has anyone noticed how after a good series of Batman movies we always get a "bad" series of Batman movies and spinoffs.
Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer/George Clooney, Christian Bale, Ben Affleck.
Hopefully when we are done with Affleck there will be a good return to form.

Kid Ying

I've already watched the movie. It's not terrible at all. In fact, there's nothing terrible in it, besides Batman. It's just an okay movie.

I've watched with lots of people and everyone thought the same. It's okay. Too much jokes, the villain is no match for the league and there are a couple of scenes that are bad (and a couple that are pretty good). Thats about it. The movie is not like bvs and mos at all. It really it's more like ww.

WaterAstro

Marvel built Avengers off of a bunch of origin movies. WB isn't doing that. Hard to feel attached, just like how I felt for Batman in BvS.

SeppOCE

Just saw it. Its actually terrible. DC needs a redo on everythig except wonder woman. Flash and cyborg could probably carry their own films so I hope they do a flashpoint movie and use it as a way to retcon everything.

It's something they have tried to force in the comics as well. He's a Teen Titan but for diversity's sake they keep trying to make him a member of the League. Should have just used John as GL instead.

All the reshoots in the world can't save a Snyder film.
I still don't understand why WB went all in with Snyder. Watchmen was alright, but Sucker Punch was all the proof I needed that he was a hack.

Jeez. I'm going in expecting to see a decent action flick. I don't go into superhero films expecting to be blown away by the plot and characters. The DC films have at least delivered on the action and soundtrack.

aaronsan

Banned
glad to see the thread title isnt even trying to hide the shit this topic will be. Could we at least pretend we can have a decent dc movie topic? Without pages (or likely a page nowadays) of shitposting with no actual discussion.

Dude your first sentence is practically a meme these days. Can we just take it as read from now on?

RCU005

I don't know why people expected more of Justice League after Wonder Woman. JL has the same concept as Batman v Superman, and it was filmed right after the other. The concept that made Wonder Woman successful came later, and that is why the made so many reshoots of Justice League.

As long as Snyder is involved, things wond't change. Patty Jenkins proved that Snyder was the problem of the DCEU. Suicide Squad tried to copy Snyder style (then again regretting it and had to do reshoots) and the outcome was mediocre. Patty went with her own style and paid off. So, in short, fire Snyder already!.

jadedm17

Jeez. I'm going in expecting to see a decent action flick. I don't go into superhero films expecting to be blown away by the plot and characters. The DC films have at least delivered on the action and soundtrack.

There's a lot of better options for fun superhero flick both on Marvel's side and with movies like Kingsman and the Fast and Furious franchise, which also have coherent plots : I can enjoy almost anything but even I couldn't enjoy Suicide Squad.

Why bother with garbage when you can watch Dark Knight or Spiderman 2 again and have both great action and a decent movie?

The bar is higher now, we don't need to settle for incoherent garbage full of plot holes. (I'm looking at you every Transformer movie.)

I really do not understand why people hate the DC movies but love the Marvel movies. They're all crap.

Some Marvels are cartoon level with bad jokes (and quips). Like "I want a refund" level. Others getting into that territory, but tolerable. Then you can Winter Soldier which is as kinda far away in tone from something like Ragnarok/Guardians.

jadedm17

Can you "it's not that bad" people realize that's not a glowing review? Passable and forgettable are not good things for something this big; There are so many better movies to spend your time and money.

I'm not judging you for enjoying but to me every movie has a tier : This movie screams free Netflix or maybe $2 Redbox rental, not a theatre viewing.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Can you "it's not that bad" people realize that's not a glowing review? Passable and forgettable are not good things for something this big; There are so many better movies to spend your time and money.

I'm not judging you for enjoying but to me every movie has a tier : This movie screams free Netflix or maybe $2 Redbox rental, not a theatre viewing.

Nope. I don't care if this had a 0 on rotten tomatoes and was suckerpunch bad (which was bad but not crazy bad ). I don't care if this movie was banned in 47 states (and Puerto Rico) THERE IS NO POWER IN THE VERSE THAT COULD STOP ME FROM SEEING A FREAKIN JUSTICE LEAGUE MOVIE!!
Bunk a review . Bunk a Critic. Bunk who and or what ever, I've been waiting for a real JL movie since Ronald Wilson Reagan was President...and I'm talking 1st term.

jadedm17

Nope. I don't care if this had a 0 on rotten tomatoes and was suckerpunch bad (which was bad but not crazy bad ). I don't care if this movie was banned in 47 states (and Puerto Rico) THERE IS NO POWER IN THE VERSE THAT COULD STOP ME FROM SEEING A FREAKIN JUSTICE LEAGUE MOVIE!!
Bunk a review . Bunk a Critic. Bunk who and or what ever, I've been waiting for a real JL movie since Ronald Wilson Reagan was President...and I'm talking 1st term.

As a Ninja Turtle fan I can feel your pain, but money talks loudest and supporting this nonsense means we will never get a version worth out money.

For TMNT I ripped free movie pass stickers off TMNT DVDs at Walmart so I spent $3 total watching both of the Bay TMNT movies on release.

I still won't judge you for paying for JL but I can't express enough how much I hate Suicide Squad

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
As a Ninja Turtle fan I can feel your pain, but money talks loudest and supporting this nonsense means we will never get a version worth out money.

For TMNT I ripped free movie pass stickers off TMNT DVDs at Walmart so I spent $3 total watching both of the Bay TMNT movies on release.

I still won't judge you for paying for JL but I can't express enough how much I hate Suicide Squad

Suicide Squad was not a movie but a series of vignettes. I do not blame you for hating that project at all.

Bleepey

Some might find it enjoyable

Some might watch it and have an informed opinion before commenting. I just came back from watching it. I found it perfectly enjoyable. You could tell that a lot was cut. There were a lot of cheesy moments to appease fanboys who complain about Snyder's serious tone and whilst there were some scenes that clearly were reshot to add levity or help trim the movie. I found it pretty good. I might say it was my favourite comic book movie of the year considering it was the only one i didn't nap off whilst watching. I wouldn't mind a Snyder cut but it doesn't feel as broken as the BVS theatrical cut. The "controversy" about male gaze with the Amazons was utter bullshit, the men were way more objectified than the women if honest and the only time they showed of the Amazonians physique was to show how strong they were. I was more impressed with their muscles than abs

Favourite parts:

Lois being described as the thirstiest woman he ever met
Aquaman having the lasso of truth around him and talking about how much he wants to bone Wonder Woman. IN this current climate it seems kinda risque but i think it works
The second post credit sequence was awesome/

gatti-man

I watched it today and really enjoyed it. The internate hate is completely overstated. It’s a fun movie that only seems terrible when compared to marvel movies. On its own it’s a solid effort that gives me hope for the future of DC.

Top Bottom