• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justin Timberlake is "finalizing" his deal for the Super Bowl Half-Time show.

Zenner

Did the Superbowl ever get the acts to start paying for the privilege of the half-time show? I recall they were pushing for that, but obviously the performers were not so keen on that.

Gattsu25

Banned
Unless he apologizes for throwing Janet under the bus he shouldn't be up there.

Why is he allowed back but Janet Jackson isn't?
I know why

Haha, absolutely not.

Justin got off scot-free for that incident while Janet's career was ruined. In the Twitter age it would be a supremely dumb move for him to re-conjure such images.
Yeah, these mirror my thoughts. How he got out of that situation scott free while her career was decimated despite him literally being the person that ripped her chest piece off (and his just being quiet and letting that injustice play out) will always be at the front of my mind when it comes to him.

Yeah, these mirror my thoughts. How he got out of that situation scott free while her career was decimated despite him literally being the person that ripped her chest piece off (and his just being quiet and letting that injustice play out) will always be at the front of my mind when it comes to him.

Janet Jackson also has better songs.

Honestly it’s hard for anyone to follow what Gaga did this year (which was, to me, the third greatest halftime set after Prince and MJ), but I think he’ll do a solid job. He has the hits and star power, but the cynic in me is kinda miffed that he’s been invited back when Janet Jackson is still black listed. Sexism at work there.

daemonic

Banned

Agreed. It's what I think of every time I see his name or hear his music. Really bizarre how that whole debacle played out.

RJM77

Just saw Janet's concert last night and the pre show DJ mixed in Sexy Back with a bunch of Janet and Michael songs. There may not be bad blood between them anymore.
But having just witnessed her perform her ass off for two hours at 51yo, with too many songs to cram in to a show, Justin is a small talent compared to Janet.

highrider

Banned
He’s got a lot of talent, but as others have said the way he handled the Janet thing was bullshit, and it makes it hard to like an otherwise likable guy for me.

PBY

Banned
I mean, he hasn't had an album since 2013 and it was fantastic (Part 1, I mean) and put out one of the catchiest pop songs of 2016...

In your opinion. Song was huge, but I thought it was absolute trash. And I felt like his 2013 album also sucked.

It's also just a shitty, safe white male pop star in a year when literally anyone else would be more relevant.

Once again - fuck the NFL.

Blader

Because it was her breast hanging out, not his. Simple as that.

I had no idea about this though:

Timberlake and Jackson were threatened with exclusion from the 2004 Grammy Awards unless they agreed to apologize on screen at the event. Timberlake attended and issued a scripted apology when accepting the first of two Grammy Awards he received that night (Best Pop Vocal Album for Justified and Best Male Pop Vocal Performance for "Cry Me a River").[39]

lol, how pathetic.

ZeoVGM

Banned
In your opinion. Song was huge, but I thought it was absolute trash. And I felt like his 2013 album also sucked.

I mean, yeah, opinions and all. But thinking 20/20 Part 1 sucked is crazy to me.

It's also just a shitty, safe white male pop star in a year when literally anyone else would be more relevant.

A bit of an exaggeration there.

Justin Timberlake doesn't suck, hater.

Because it was her breast hanging out, not his. Simple as that.

Come on now; he was an active participant in that moment and deliberately exposed said breast. Absolving him just because it wasn’t his skin is shady as hell. She got thrown to the dogs while he became the industry darling after a half-hearted public apology. That ain’t right.

He had one of the biggest songs of 2016. Like, you would need to go out of your way to not hear "Can't Stop the Feeling."

I dont listen to the radio, I dont watch tv, I barely watch movies. Ive maybe heard the song once, but I wouldnt know because I dont usually pay attention to the music thats in the few things I do watch. Not that much of a stretch, really.

Blader

Come on now; he was an active participant in that moment and deliberately exposed said breast. Absolving him just because it wasn’t his skin is shady as hell. She got thrown to the dogs while he became the industry darling after a half-hearted public apology. That ain’t right.

I'm not absolving him or even think either of them needs to be 'absolved', as if they committed some horrible offense. I'm just saying that's how the people outraged by the whole thing see it as. They were incensed by the sight of Jackson's breast, so in their minds, Jackson is the go-to target.

He had one of the biggest songs of 2016. Like, you would need to go out of your way to not hear "Can't Stop the Feeling."

I dont listen to the radio, I dont watch tv, I barely watch movies. Ive maybe heard the song once, but I wouldnt know because I dont usually pay attention to the music thats in the few things I do watch. Not that much of a stretch, really.
Basically this. I haven't heard anything from him since that song with a music video dedicated to his grandparents or something. I didn't even know he still had recent music.

Though, it would be crazy if he ends up being a milkshake duck, lol.

Nah he's talented.

Justin can either redeem himself by doing something for Janet, or can fuck off.

So can CBS/Viacom too. They can really fuck off. But Justin made a choice in that controversy, and it'd be real nice if he rectified rhat.

see5harp

I know people upset about Janet but you really trying to play it like Justin Timberlake isn't one of the better live pop acts on the planet, even right now 5 years after his last album? The last decent Janet album with certified radio hits was more than a decade before the damn wardrobe malfunction.

RJM77

I know people upset about Janet but you really trying to play it like Justin Timberlake isn't one of the better live pop acts on the planet, even right now 5 years after his last album? The last decent Janet album with certified radio hits was more than a decade before the damn wardrobe malfunction.

Not even close to true. Doesn't Really Matter and All for You went to #1 and Someone To Call My Lover went to #3 three years before the Super Bowl. The album was the second highest first week sales for a female artist at the time.

The Velvet Rope album was just 7 years before the Superbowl.

The week before the Superbowl the lead single, Just A Little While, from her next album was the most added song to pop radio and was tracking to hit #1 or close to it. Then it was completely dropped from radio and MTV on Monday morning.

There's been a very strong anti-Timberlake backlash in the last year or so online.

FyreWulff

All For You album release said:
The album's lead single, "All for You", debuted on the Hot 100 at number fourteen, setting a record for the highest debut by a single that was not commercially available. Jackson was titled "Queen of Radio" by MTV as the single made airplay history, being "added to every pop, rhythmic and urban radio station" within its first week.

this was 3 years before the Super Bowl, but thanks for playing

juicyb

Well this has me excited at least. Love me some JT besides Can't Stop the Feeling, so I'm all in. Gaga's performance was the best modern one I've seen and the only one I truly remember so he's got a lot to live up to. He has a bevy of songs I enjoy tho so I'm looking forward to it. Gaga only has her first album and then kinda crashed

ZeoVGM

Banned

While I would say that her albums after the incident weren't great, she absolutely had radio hits on the album she put out before that Super Bowl.

Top Bottom