• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience |OT|

I want to listen to the album a few more times before I give a rank to the songs, but I can at least say I don't skip any tracks when I listen to this album

mattchuuu

Neo Member
I only learned of this release after hearing a negative review on NPR on Tuesday, so I'm definitely not the intended audience. But I was curious, having grown up liking N'Sync. On first listen, I appreciated JT's vision of attempting a mellow work. Two more listens later, I think I'm done with the whole album. It just seems neither genuine nor interesting. Stylistically, "That Girl" was my favorite, but the lyric "that girl" is painfully banal and its constantly belted as the heart of the chorus.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I'm in Canada, but it looks like they ship here! I've been looking for this, when it wasn't on JT or Amazon's sites I figured it wasn't released on vinyl or something. Awesome, thank you!

It's on amazon's site (at least the US one), its' where I got my copy of FS/LS vinyl last month.

They cost $16.98

Kabuto

People don't like Let the Groove Get in? It's one of my favorite songs of the album.

My list:

Body Count
Let the Groove Get In
Strawberry Bubblegum
Don't Hold the Wall
Blue Ocean Floor
Pusher Love Girl
Dress On
Mirrors
Tunnel Vision
Spaceship Coupe
That Girl
Suit & Tie

Other than Suit & Tie, every song on this album is great. Top 3 songs just make me want to jam out in my car every time I hear it.

Artemisia

Banned
So I'm listening to the album again, and I noticed the choruses don't really serve their purpose, that is being the climax of the song.

The verses do a really good job in setting up the song and getting you pumped for that big moment... and then it just falls flat. Tunnel Vision is the most guilty of this.

ifSpIQmWtm1Yz.gif

tj hazuki

thelordrol02.png

However, Bllboard saying
Today (March 24), industry sources forecast that the pop star's new "The 20/20 Experience" could sell between 950,000 and 975,000 by the close of the tracking week -- tonight. (Nielsen SoundScan's sales week runs Monday-Sunday each week.)

Wow

Pavaloo

It's on amazon's site (at least the US one), its' where I got my copy of FS/LS vinyl last month.

They cost $16.98

Wow, there they are, both albums on amazon. No way I missed this.. must be new.. at least I know Justified is, because it says I can pre-order. But damn, great news again, thanks Matrix.

After having listened to it all week, I think it's a really good album, probably my favorite so far of 2013. Thinking about double dipping and getting the CD.

stravinsky

Neo Member
I think the first half of Mirrors is some of the best mainstream pop in recent history; don't really care for the rest of the album.

Been listening to this album all week. And damn, Suit & Tie brought some high expectations and the album pretty much blew that out of the water. I think the biggest problem of the album is there's just too much stuff going on that it's hard to take everything in within the first listen, but once you're past that and start to pick up everything else going on within the music, it becomes really amazing.

The best song of the album would be a tie between Mirrors, Let The Groove Get In, and Blue Ocean Floor. Especially their outro's, that's some of the finest music I've ever heard. Worst track would be Tunnel Vision, reason being is that the tracks feels empty. Like it just stays the same throughout the entire song compared to the rest of the tracks were there's a flow and the music is actually going somewhere.

Nope. I like the idea of adding drums and spicing up the track but the drums they put in sounds terrible and totally ruins the entire song. Plus, the entire mix sounds like a piece of crap. Do bedroom producers these days not understand how a dB meter works?

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Wow, there they are, both albums on amazon. No way I missed this.. must be new.. at least I know Justified is, because it says I can pre-order. But damn, great news again, thanks Matrix.

No problem. Justified was not in stock, you're right about that.

Servbot24

Banned
Nope. I like the idea of adding drums and spicing up the track but the drums they put in sounds terrible and totally ruins the entire song. Plus, the entire mix sounds like a piece of crap. Do bedroom producers these days not understand how a dB meter works?

Yeah, that was awful. Fuck nerdy laptop assholes drowning everything in reverb.

y2dvd

Just read yahoo's review of the album but it wasn't pretty.

Away from the "boy-band" machine, Justin Timberlake theoretically shouldn't have so much gravitas. He's not any more talented than your average, well-coached teen-pop star.

When Timberlake sings "Pusher love/Be my drug/Hook me up" it is very calculated. He still somehow lives in a "Tiger Beat" bubble. He's better than Bieber but not by much. His songs are still full of lame teen-pop come-ons.

"Strawberry Bubblegum" begins with a deep, Barry White-esque voice saying, "Hey… pretty lady…" while Timberlake sings "This goes out to you!" Such a move seems engineered to make gullible teen girls in the audience scream. The dusty string loop and the added record scratchiness on the track fit the faux-vintage vibe that coats this record. With its ethereal, soft tone, the track wants to be Jackson's "Butterflies" but lacks that song's genuinely eerie and weirdly beautiful sense of longing. Once again, Timberlake's amateurish lyrics don't do him any favors. He tries very hard by adding a retro-sounding organ solo, but such retro-touches feel about as genuine as a hipster trying on a different kind of hat.

Overall, though, this is a surprisingly uninspired collection. Timberlake wants to be a legend. He needs to become more of an innovator and less of a cultural regurgitator. For now, he is merely a pop imitator with too much flash and not enough flavor.

Too many quotable sections..

As an album guy, JT delivered. This one feels like his most cohesive piece of work yet. FL/LS felt disparate and oddly slapped together at times. I could easily see why playlist people don't like this album--it screams 'play me front to end'.

Dreaver

I've never been so much into Justin Timberlake but I decided to give the new album a listen, pretty good. I actually love Mirrors and Suit & Tie. I also dig the fact that the songs are not your average 3 minutes length. Definitely going to give the whole album another listen.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dress On and Body Count haven't really jived with me, despite having heard them a few times each while driving on Saturday.

Oh well.
Yeah it's pretty clear they were not produced with the album in mind. They're pretty forgettable if I'm honest. I listened to them once and have no motivation to ever again.

Yeah it's pretty clear they were not produced with the album in mind. They're pretty forgettable if I'm honest. I listened to them once and have no motivation to ever again.

Exactly my same issue with the songs. I mean, for bonus tracks they're okay but they do sound more tacked on than anything really.

Not really diggin' the album. The only tracks I found enjoyable and worth going back to were That Girl, Mirrors, and Blue Ocean Floor.

Any more info regarding part 2?

Majmun

I predicted 295k first week sales in the Popgaf thread. I clocked myself hard

I'm glad that my prediction flopped tho. This album deserves all the success it's getting.

What a huge comeback for JT. But I'm sure we're going to see a comeback this year that will go BEYONd that.

3phemeral

I predicted 295k first week sales in the Popgaf thread. I clocked myself hard

I'm glad that my prediction flopped tho. This album deserves all the success it's getting.

What a huge comeback for JT. But I'm sure we're going to see a comeback this year that will go BEYONd that.

I don't remember my prediction, but I'm sure his final sales will be double of whatever I thought it'd be, and I was aiming high already.

Really loving this album. The songs are long, indeed, but they're still damn good. I love that this isn't a straight pop album, it tries to be something more.

Top Bottom