• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT5| Controversies Over Nothing

Pendulum

Suzy is in Shinchon. Just saw her. Don't like the blond hair.

10460712_905059899511320_3269742824685391891_n.jpg
Btct3gTCYAAo1VG.jpg:large

Not the blonde I was thinking.

Eldren

Can't wait for the Monthly Recap comeback! Based Llehuty

Hyperbole? Name one other female idol who has that type of high energetic stage presence on her own. Last time I've seen anything like that was Hyori, but even she didn't shake her ass with Hyuna's level of conviction.

Hyoyeon solo debut #BELIEVE

HyunA(4minute) - RED, 현아(포미닛) - 빨개요, Show Music core 20140726

How much longer until they tone down the choreography? (Hopefully a lot longer, it's fun)

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Blacklist and Red were so good tonight, on part of both the performers and the show direction. Love love love.

Edit: P.S. The dancer who was bottom-left at the start of Red is SO HOT.

Cuddler

I guess I'm one of the few that didn't like the new Hyuna tracks. It just sounds too much like Nicki Minaj with the helium infused rapping.

With that said, HOLY SHIT at the Music Bank performance. I honestly don't remember the last time that I was sitting in front of the computer shaking my head and clapping at the end. Loved how she pulls off the "bad bitch" look in the first performance and the second act was just so fun! That was a Beyonce like performance and if that didn't make her the top female idol in KPop I don't know what will.

Hyperbole? Name one other female idol who has that type of high energetic stage presence on her own. Last time I've seen anything like that was Hyori, but even she didn't shake her ass with Hyuna's level of conviction.

lol, wait that's the most important thing to be the top female idol in KPop? Anyway, the top female idol in KPop is BoA imo.

Dice

Was BoA ever as popular in Korea as in Japan?
Yes, BoA is a legend. Her Japanese promotions seem like they have more invested in them because... they do. Popularity in Korea doesn't equate to money like it does in Japan.

Peru

Of course the market in Korea is smaller so she couldn't have sold 1 million+ of one album like she did several times in Japan at her peak.

Dicetrain, do you still stand by your words on LE?

Dice

Yes. My issue with her isn't lack of capability, it is her put-on persona which seems quite removed from how she is all of her not-performing time. I find it to be against the nature of hip-hop, and especially grating when it is (albeit slightly less so over time) a rip of Minaj and Iggy, who truly annoy the everliving shit out of me because they also seem to think hip-hop is a fashion statement.

Hip-hop does have some dressing up to it, some boasting, some choice of confidence and declaration and confrontation, but as far as I am concerned it is to be born of what you are, not something you just thought was cool and copied. I know LE has the capability of transmitting herself purely, otherwise she wouldn't be writing songs and getting in production, but that is only the message. There is the message transmitted and there is the means of transmission, and in the latter she hasn't made herself yet.

It is not just a face, it's like playing the blues, except it's more like playing the fuck you. Either way it has to be you and I never feel like I'm seeing her. If she just did the idol rapper thing I wouldn't have an issue. It's the claim to something she isn't actually doing that bothers me.

Peru

I don't see how she's similar to Iggy and Minaj and I think Iggy is pretty different from Minaj, particularly in that Minaj is capable of being good while Iggy is quite shit at rapping.

And I just don't see what you're describing, I mean, I'm a big fan of hers and even I haven't seen that much of her outside of performances so what is she putting on?

ramyeon

If you wanna think she's the top idol in Korea, go for it. But as for a performance that's Beyonce level, I don't see how that's even a fair comparison to make when Hyuna can't even sing. I suppose if your criteria for idols and singers is simply the level of conviction they can shake their ass with then we don't really have anything to discuss anyway.

dokish

Banned
July 30th Girl's Day will hold a fan sign event in my area. Not sure if I should beg to be selected (when you buy the CD) or if I should give the clerk some money.

TTo reach the place you gotta take escalator, so there's no way regular people can just sneak in.

luso

Taemin solo soon, new SM girl group in August.
TTS new hair colours and reality show points to a probable comeback in September. Also that month Sooyoung's drama airs, and Yoona's movie already rolls by then, starts in August.
Meanwhile on their 7th anniversary fan-meeting, soshi in Vegas BTS appeared with a glimpse on swimsuits. Photobook incoming. Lots of tears with fans.
New Suju album in October.
November/December not know (Shinee?) but I don't bet on SNSD's Korean comeback. See you in 2015.

BtjJoH9CIAES5Sa.jpg

Peru

Say what you will about SM... they know how to package their goods and launch rookies. Unless you're a solo artist in their basement that is, poor J Min.

Pendulum

The English words spoken at the start seem at odds with the "pop-iness" of the music so I'm just going to assume they are for the sake of the teaser only. Not much to say about a 2 second soundbite except that after the pre-debut covers/clips and the marketing about some f(x) DNA, that soundbite was not what I expected. So, yeah, full track and all...

----

Hyuna on Inkigayo (performed Blacklist with LE and Red again). Girl's Day won again but I haven't seen Sojin's reaction video yet :p. Oh, and BESTie

----

Two Youngji teaser pics for the Kara comeback have been released. That is all.

Hip-hop does have some dressing up to it, some boasting, some choice of confidence and declaration and confrontation, but as far as I am concerned it is to be born of what you are, not something you just thought was cool and copied.

I agree with this except the bolded. While I'm not an expert in hip-hop, I do agree that most people in the game are born in it, instead of adapting it. But, I don't think there's anything wrong with copying it. The issue is people adapting it to weird ways like the recent trend of ratchet women and sounds like Turn down for what(I refuse to call this music, maybe drunk music) that are invading the space.

Take Macklemore for example. If he rapped about girls, cash, drugs instead of equality then he wouldn't be as popular as he is know. He's exactly as what you described, thought hip-hop was cool and copied it to spread a good message, so there's nothing wrong with that.

It's a perception issue tbh and it's something that popular music will always suffer through until it stops becoming popular.

Anyway, back to K-Pop...

Red Velvet's pic teasers look like TTS rejects from last year. Nothing wrong with it though.

Ummm, look at the girls wearing the yellow balloons... the ones confirmed to be dating are wearing them. Does that mean Seobot and Sica already have a man/woman as well?!

I fear another scandal is on the way...

The fact that Sulli looks happy in those pics without the other members... /tinfoil hat

Lastly, more Hong Jin Young pics/gifs please!

elmars369

Unconfirmed Member
For elmars369 (Minah pics)
Appreciated!

Speaking of... this week on The Minah Watch:
GsD won on Music Core & Inkigayo, while B1A4 won everything else.
Obviously sajaegi.
Obviously butthurt.
They also did this Tomato song for Inkigayo.
Pics of the week said:
And finally, a Minah fansite "Sparkling!" was opened at bbang0513.com(formerly 19930513.com). I hope all you American investors will be interested in distributing Sparkling! in your home prefecture.
And I hope someone gets the reference xD.

ev0

Just watched Running Man 205.

And I also approve of the Hong Jin Young pics/gifs on this page. She was pretty good on that ep (most of them were). Would like to see her back.

dokish

Banned
They were pretty ok with it. I was not sniffing in secret. I would grab their hair and smell. They laugh. We start chatting. They had a blast.

Pendulum

Congrats to Park Ji Sung and Kim Min Ji.
4V7lwzK.jpg

The ceremony was hosted by fellow SBS announcer Bae Sung Jae, who first linked the two together. Numerous celebrities also attended, including Psy, Lee Byung Hun, the cast of 'Running Man', swimmer Park Tae Hwan, baseball player Park Chan Ho and more!

Special attention was drawn to the attendance of his best friend, Patrice Evra, and Guus Hiddink, the coach behind South Korea's legendary 2002 World Cup team.

Top Bottom