• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT6| Thank You for Love

llehuty

Miryo release... what a tragedy. Couldn't even finish it.

Woah, this is awful. *subscribes*

You know, considering how many words English has taken from other languages it's always struck me as a bit odd that people don't understand other languages doing the same thing.
You are missing the point, he is talking about how do they use the word comeback in general. Like, it doesn't make sense calling a comeback when the group has released something a couple of months ago.

And that's brings me to SHINee's repackage teasers:

01.jpg

02.jpg
4 new tracks, will they improve the already AOTY countender release that was Odd? We'll see...

ramyeon

Miryo release... what a tragedy. Couldn't even finish it.

Woah, this is awful. *subscribes*

You are missing the point, he is talking about how do they use the word comeback in general. Like, it doesn't make sense calling a comeback when the grop has released something a couple of months ago.

And that's brings me to SHINee's repackage teasers:

4 new tracks, will they improve the already AOTY countender release that was Odd? We'll see...
I'm not missing the point :p English has taken heaps of words from other languages and appropriated them while changing their meanings - it happens in all languages. Korean is no different and the words they've appropriated from English, like comeback, "some", service etc etc are Korean words now with their own meaning.

llehuty

I'm not missing the point :p English has taken heaps of words from other languages and appropriated them while changing their meanings - it happens in all languages. Korean is no different and the words they've appropriated from English, like comeback, "some", service etc etc are Korean words now with their own meaning.
Sorry, I didn't get that from your post.

You should still change your avatar :p

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Listening to non-lead tracks from recent releases.

Pink Memory has a good amount of quality on it. I Do has a key change that is much more natural than the one in Remember. Overall Namjoo has more lines than she did before and that's great because she was severely underrated as a singer.

GFRIEND album is... no.

Girl's Day opening track With Me should have been their promo. It's really good and way more in line with their best performance styles. Ring My Bell is junk. 마카롱 also could have been good but maybe too close to Darling despite having a very different mood. The new songs have fantastic production that is flaunting the shit out of the money they have these days. Not a fan of slapping an old mini and singles on a mini and calling it the next full album release, but whatever.

Hello Venus has taken on a strange identity. Half the most generic dance crap nobody else wanted from Brave Bros, half the only group willing to fully embrace this experimentation with early 90s styles he seems to be playing with lately. Show Window is legit, at least.

Nine Muses has done pretty well on their mini in terms of cool music, but I am not fully in favor of it being so music-forward in the mix. I mean in one sense I can see it can cover for a weakness of charisma or vocal power in the new members while also encouraging them to step up to the power the music is bringing itself, but just as a shift from prior albums it's a really apparent flip of priorities and I really enjoyed what they were doing before. Yes or No comes close but it's effects-heavy in a way that still swallows them up.

Sonamoo... HYSS LIKE A KOO SHUN LIKE A KOO SHUN! Why did I just put that in my head again? ...I don't think I'll ever love this song, but its earworm status can't be denied. I do really like the synth they chose for the chorus. The rest is a real mixed bag, but TS not knowing what to do with their groups isn't new. I will give them credit that they never seem to halfass their ideas. They have strong production capacity and always go 100% for better or worse. I have often felt they pick the wrong track for promotions, but in this case I think they made the right call. I feel it let them claim some distinctly boyband-type method of mixing power and cuteness that no other girl group has gone for and it really gave their stage a unique flavor with a refreshing energy.

No No Eul

Some sort of Stellar documentary series is due to start on August 8. Could be interesting.

Pink Memory has a good amount of quality on it. I Do has a key change that is much more natural than the one in Remember. Overall Namjoo has more lines than she did before and that's great because she was severely underrated as a singer.

GFRIEND album is... no.

It's pretty much the opposite for me. While I do think the album tracks on Pink Memory are an improvement on Remember, I'm just not feeling it for some reason. I can't quite put my finger on why that is yet. I've really been enjoying Gfriend's mini though.

Eldren

Lolol I know I know, but the setup was perfect already so I couldn't resist.

Can you tell her to go back to Latina-Hyo? That was probably the best she's ever looked.

Tell me about it, I haven't liked her hair in years. She's maintained this horrible pissy yellow colour for too long and now it's short. Sooyoung's short hair is nice but this cut doesn't suit Hyo. Oh well, we'll always have The Boys glory days.
I loved her Gee era where she had dark hair and tan skin but too many sones said she was ugly so she started lightening her skin and now she looks white. Thanks sones.

llehuty

Wonder Girls so good. This is one of the things I love about k-pop and it's concept/gimmick nature. They can just take any idea and push it to the limits going full in without reservations.

GIVE IT TO ME!!!

IN MY VEINS!!

NOW!

My god... this might be the best album of the fncking year, if not the GOAT.

My only complaint, and most likely YouTube has something to do with this... it needs a tape filter stat! It's gonna sound even more amazing with a tape filter and you can hear that hiss and pops.

I will take the throwback with crispy clear production, thank you.

I pray to God no one posts a thread on off-topic on how this album is going to save k-pop.

Someone probably will
No ideq what would be the problem. I'm all in for quality music getting all the exposure it can. Most of us got into kpop by "accident" anyway.

Random haters that shitpost on off topic shouldn't ruin the fun for everyone else.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
4Minute still proving they are the queens of idol mukbang. Fuck the food they made looked pretty damn tasty, in Ep2 of their new variety. The whole segment of Jihyun's shitty stew made me crack up pretty hard. Was cringing pretty hard at how Jiyoon kept putting her feet right next to their celebratory cake though. Come on girl.

EXID Showtime Ep3 is goddamn glorious too. Nothing like a girl group facing off in the arcade haha. Solji is damn LEGIT at dancing games.

I will take the throwback with crispy clear production, thank you.

No ideq what would be the problem. I'm all in for quality music getting all the exposure it can. Most of us got into kpop by "accident" anyway.

Random haters that shitpost on off topic shouldn't ruin the fun for everyone else.

But it wouldn't sound legitimately 80's!

Lol kidding aside, I think it's a personal preference. I'm in love with retro sound so the closer I can get to retro sound, the better it is for me at least.

But yeah, can we summon EatChildren in those shit threads? Maybe some Jisook will be enough to lure him lol.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
nah, don't worry, you still got it

**the non-comforting words of someone even older

11 seconds of heaven.

Rare footage of Irene going in for the kill

I wonder what Joys neck smells like.

News is great but Nine Muses should be Hurt Locker. Yes it's brand new, but it's a future classic. After School should be Bang IMO. Orange Caramel not being Catallena is a crime. And yes...the less SNSD the better. Yes they have great songs, but...it's like the vanilla ice cream of k-pop.

How the fuck did you manage to get so much wrong in a 2 line post?! First of all, I laugh at your attempted dig at SNSD being that they are the vanilla ice cream of kpop... It's absolutely true, but there is a reason why vanilla ice cream is the vanilla ice cream of ice cream. The essential playlist wasn't made to be edgy. Song like Genie and Gee are the milkshake that brought the boys to the yard, timeless classics. This thread even started out as an SNSD thread back in the day. Some classless tattooed rebellious pleb such as yourself could never understand the greatness that is SNSD. Back to to being serious though, I wouldn't mind seeing Hoot get replaced though, that joke has run long enough now.

Secondly, the only acceptable alternative to News is Wild (maybe Ticket if I'm being generous). Hurt Locker is great, even one of their best, but Wild is on another level, and News on another level of that again. Thirdly, Bang is barely top 10 AS. There is a reason Because of You is the only AS song to win music shows, it's their best song.
Why their other songs, especially greats like Ah, Shampoo and Flashback, didn't win, is a question for the ages however.
Lastly, Catallena is not top 5 material for OC. oc got it close, but the top 5 actually goes as following:

1. One Love
2. Clara's Dream (it's so good that it counts despite being Lizzy solo)
3. Shanghai Romance
4. Aing
5. Lipstick

I must admit though I've been thinking about modifying the Essentials Playlist for a while. I reckon a lot of people (myself included) might find it difficult to throw out a lot of those classics in favour of more recent songs, no matter how good they might be.

I was going to suggest that since the majority of the tracks in the current list are from 2009-2010 or thereabouts, we could change it to the 'Golden Era' playlist or something to that effect. Then we could have a 'K-Pop GAF Recommends' playlist for newer stuff. And yeah, a poll would be a very good idea.

This is a great idea.

Guess I'm in the minority but I kinda like it. better than Dirty at least. But how I wish it was another Leggo though. This is what you get when you have Gain featuring instead of Narsha I guess.

Reminds me of Crayon Pops debut.

Holy fucking shit that is awful.

Listening to non-lead tracks from recent releases.

Nine Muses has done pretty well on their mini in terms of cool music, but I am not fully in favor of it being so music-forward in the mix. I mean in one sense I can see it can cover for a weakness of charisma or vocal power in the new members while also encouraging them to step up to the power the music is bringing itself, but just as a shift from prior albums it's a really apparent flip of priorities and I really enjoyed what they were doing before. Yes or No comes close but it's effects-heavy in a way that still swallows them up.

Not sure if I already mentioned this, but 9M mini sucked. Not a single good song aside from Hurt Locker, which at least was amazing though.

Very promising. Especially hyped for Loved and One Black Night.

Finally checking out EXID showtime. Pretty silly like you guys said, just started the third episode and.... did they seriously not edit out Solji's panty shot. Like... it was one of those slow down scene transition moments and you could see everything lol. Pretty sure anime panty shots are not as clear as this was haha.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Finally checking out EXID showtime. Pretty silly like you guys said, just started the third episode and.... did they seriously not edit out Solji's panty shot. Like... it was one of those slow down scene transition moments and you could see everything lol. Pretty sure anime panty shots are not as clear as this was haha.

tumblr_nedyi22gud1rg02dsfu.gif

Edit. That one screenshot they put up of LE playing Diablo III. Witch Doctor or Wizard? I saw the blue mana orb.

ramyeon

No doubts that Reboot will be the Kpop album of the year.

Sounds even more cohesive than Wonder World, why can't it be Monday already?

Edit. That one screenshot they put up of LE playing Diablo III. Witch Doctor or Wizard? I saw the blue mana orb.

Thought she was playing monk lol, the resource pool looked white to me... but it might have been my random monitor settings along with the craptacular quality of the photo.

Hani is seriously the best, first that crazy ass song about stawberries, then the rap haha. "I'm the best rapper in Korea Outsider,all of you listen up! my rap, my soul, my swag!" rofl. getting 100 points in karaoke for her nonsense.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
That karaoke machine was damn shifty haha. It was 99 or 100 all the time, even when they didn't even try hahaha. I was laughing pretty hard.

Top Bottom