• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT6| Thank You for Love

ramyeon

These "band versions" tho...

Yeah, they're definitely relatively new at this. But that doesn't take away from the fact that they actually know how to play instruments. Especially Yubin, her drumming is actually consistent add to the fact that she's actually rapping on top of it... she just ascended goddess status imo.

I'm barely able to hold a consistent beat if I'm drumming and singing at the same, and I've been drumming since Rock Band 1 came out lol.

Anyway, I finally got the chance to listen to the album on the way to work this morning and here's my thoughts.

Everything but the last song is fantastic, and the only reason why is coz the last song just came out of left field imo. Regardless, that's 11/12, when's the last time a K-Pop album consistently delivered hits in succession? Maybe Pink Tape, maybe lol.

Anyway, my favorites are Rewind, Faded Love and I Feel You... mainly because they are true throwbacks to the 80's with the synths, the bass lines, and the drum machines. If you told me those songs came out in the 80's, I might actually believe you. The only thing that gives them away is the clarity of sound. But that's not even a complaint lol.

Gone is also a fave, it reminds me of a very early 90's R&B track that I can't place my head on. I know for sure it's a track from SWV but I don't remember the title.

Also I agree with some on the album being a mix of 80's and 90's. But technically, it's early 90's like Gone and the early 90's were pretty much an extension of the 80's until 1995 at least. So yeah, it's kinda 90's but technically it's not lol.
Yeah they're still a bit awkward on the stage with their instruments, and it's pretty obvious the nerves were getting to them. They'll only get better with each performance though - it's super promising and I feel like this should really stop all the "gimmick" trash talk, I don't know how they could be more faithful to the concept than this.

A couple of the songs have some early 90s influence but the vast majority of the album is super 80s (Like mid to late 80s) right down to the sound of the production and the vocals.

This Moment is alright, it doesn't really fit on the album but I can understand why they wanted to include it as the closer.

A couple of the songs have some early 90s influence but the vast majority of the album is super 80s (Like mid to late 80s) right down to the sound of the production and the vocals.

For sure.

For example, Mark Morrison's "Return Of The Mack" came out in 1996. But the production is inherently 80's with some tidbits of 90's sound.

And now that I'm thinking about it, a lot of 90's R&B and hip-hop never really grew out of their 80's sound. I mean you can definitely tell when a track came out by it's sound, but the basis of the track is still 80's. What really separated the two decades is the clarity of sound, it's a lot more organic compared to the very processed sounds of the 80s.

AReed

SeulGod Global Endorser of Pringles
PcupbGM.png

Thoughts on WG album: Disappointed that there were no tracks like the teasers. A lot of the songs sound the same. They all sound like Rick Astley throwaway songs. Didn't like it. 3/10 AReed Stamp of Disapproval.

ramyeon

Hyorin in Unpretty Rapstar 2???
Not confirmed, still in talks. Same with Yubin.

---

Also Wonder Girls announced at the Showcase that they didn't record the instrumentals on the album themselves, they were done by studio musicians. Some people are gonna rage but that seems pretty normal in this case and honestly expected. They said that they're going to try to play live in any case where it's feasible (Ie: Probably not music shows) and that they want to keep working towards a full and proper "band" version of the Wonder Girls in the future.

llehuty

Hyorin in Unpretty Rapstar 2???

They nailed the unpretty part in that case... No, but seriously, hope someone just miss-spelled Hyomin or there is an underground female rapper with the same name. :S

I'm reading on twitter that it's just a rumour.

Eldren

Fiestar's Yezi is rumoured too I think. An Idol Rapstar show would be hilarious, I'd totally be down for that.

Reboot is still on a loop. Absolutely fantastic. One Black Night is just....

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Fairydol fanservice MV follow-up to main promo using a boring song has become standard expectation with them. I will accept this buttermint style eyecandy offering while continuing to more greatly appreciate their fun/sassy promotions.

Wait a second... this isn't AOA...

I'd make fun of the "story" of the MV, but this is T-ara we're talking about. I'm surprised they caught an extremely rare glimpse of Qri's loving gaze.

SeulGod Global Endorser of Pringles
I have seen Seulgi/Pringles stuff all over twitter. Does she just like them or something?

Thoughts on WG album: Disappointed that there were no tracks like the teasers. A lot of the songs sound the same. They all sound like Rick Astley throwaway songs. Didn't like it. 3/10 AReed Stamp of Disapproval.

............ >__> .....................you have correctly identified Rick Astley as an artist of the 80s...

I dislike Glee-style production of a cappella. When you use computers to perfect the tones, harmonization, and timings, you have instrumentified them and robbed it of the intended soul. I guess this is spot on for the circlejerk happening with youtube apple indies, though.

ramyeon

I dislike Glee-style production of a cappella. When you use computers to perfect the tones, harmonization, and timings, you have instrumentified them and robbed it of the intended soul. I guess this is spot on for the circlejerk happening with youtube apple indies, though.
NoFunAllowed.jpg

I thought it was fun, showed off their flair and had some cool harmonies.

AReed

I have seen Seulgi/Pringles stuff all over twitter. Does she just like them or something?

It's from that pic inside the heart from my post. Of her as a kid holding a can of Pringles looking all happy. I think that's how it took off.

Ashhong

Man you guys really hyped up Reboot. I give it about a 7 out of 10. I love 80s pop, so I really appreciated what they did with the album. The beats are on point. 10/10 there, not much to say.

My problem lies in the melodies of most of the songs. They just aren't catchy for me. Most of the songs have this very breathless type singing and don't sound good to me. Wish I could explain my thoughts better.

But my favorite song is Loved by far. The chorus is so damn catchy and groovy, for lack of a better word. That's what I wish this album had more of.

-------------------

Love both Big Bang songs though. Going to be a good concert when I see them in October

-------------------

T-ara: as a Soyeon lover, I was almost scared to see her in the MV. God she looks freaky now, so sad. Her "Oh!" face is just scary.

roaSone

I'm not that much into the 80s so Reboot is enjoyable but not really my taste in the end.. But even as a non-liker of the genre, I can tell that this is a really good album.

It's time! The Wonder Girls are back!

I Feel You MV

Song is fucking great. Liked it right from the start, but it just keeps growing on me every time I hear it. Loving the music video as well. They're going hard in on the 80s feel, and nailing it. The girls look amazing as well, Yenny in particular. Probably the 3rd best synth pop track of the year after one Black Night and True Survivor.

As far as summer girl group songs, my list goes as following so far:
Hurt Locker > I Feel You > Heart Attack = Party > Vibrato >> Cushion > Remember > Love Shake > Ring My Bell >> So Crazy >>>>> Shake It > Um Oh Ah Yeh

Everything up to and including One Black Night hits hard, so good. After that it's more restrained with a couple of rap centric tracks and then ballads to the end but the last third has definitely grown on me upon further listening.

After two rounds of listening to the album, I feel that this can't be emphasized enough imo. The album peaks hard at One Black Night, and takes a massive dip in quality after that aside from one of the songs (can't remember which one yet). Overall my first impression of the album is very positive though. One Black Night is definitely my favorite song so far. Looking forward to listening to it more.

Don't know if anyone posted it but new Shinee mv is out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcu7yZBeSKw
Really liking it.
The song is great. The mv is even better. Best boy group mv ever.

T-aras ridiculously consistent track record had to come to an end some day, and that day is here. Pretty sure it's the lamest song they have ever promoted. I certainly can't remember any other of their promoted songs being this bad.

A Pinks song sucked a little less, but it's a dud as well, but that was expected.

My first impression of Let's Not Fall In Love is pretty good. Probably the third best song after Sober and Loser from MADE. Don't really like Zutter at all. It's not as bad as Bae Bae and Bang Bang Bang though.

Sober > Loser > Let's Not Fall In Love > if You = We Like 2 Party >>> Zutter >>> Bang Bang Bang >>>>>>>>>>> Bae Bae

Overall they did well enough. The songs weren't as great as their 2012 output, but Sober and Loser especially were pretty amazing. Top 5 BB contenders.

MOMO!!!
I still find hilarious the JYP backpedal to put her in the group.

Just be grateful she's in. The group is better off for it. I fucking hate the survival type show they went with. The Momo ordeal just proves how dreadful it is.

Stellar's songs were always good almost (I still listen to Mask, Marionette, Guilty etc.. here and there). The thing is koreans can't watch/listen over their over sexy/provocation and thus aren't giving them any chances.

No mention of UFO? For shame..

Too awkward. Had to close the video the moment it happened.

Sera seriously has zero budget for her album. Looks like she not only produced the music, but she designed the artwork, got the discs made and got them ready for shipment.

I sort of feel bad for her, but it's admirable that she's taking matters into her own hands.

Ryu Sera - Serenade Making film #1

What a fucking trooper. She's too pure, kind and beautiful for this world. Still expecting the album will be boring however. But it's alright, my love in unconditional Sera.

Yo.
The Ice cube.
Why is nobody talking about the ice cube.
tumblr_nshmhbtEHd1rukjw7o2_250.gif
tumblr_nshmhbtEHd1rukjw7o1_250.gif

tumblr_nshmhbtEHd1rukjw7o3_250.gif
tumblr_nshmhbtEHd1rukjw7o4_250.gif

tumblr_nshotcO24C1rukjw7o1_540.gif

tumblr_nshrdgsWwe1rukjw7o1_540.gif

I could talk about that fucking ice cube all day. I see the plebs are talking about Sunmi, but Yenny is the real fucking deal. The ice cube scene aside, that scene with the itty bitty dress/shirt and the knee socks is what really killed me. She just keeps climbing on my list. Now I haven't seen the tracklist myself, but if it's true she wrote/produced One Black Night as well, my mind will be blown.

Baeby. <3

Gd29wyl.jpg

#1 though. It's been a year since the Velvet goddesses graced us with their presence. What a time to be alive. Too late to explore the planet, too early to explore space, just in time to explore Red Velvet.

ramyeon

Yeeun has been up there since her HA:TFELT debut, I still come back to that mini all the time. It's so good and the fact that it completely bombed on the charts is so depressing.

But she hinted at a comeback soon, it will be great.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Yeeun has been up there since her HA:TFELT debut, I still come back to that mini all the time. It's so good and the fact that it completely bombed on the charts is so depressing.

But she hinted at a comeback soon, it will be great.
It was damn beautiful stuff. She's incredibly talented. One of the top 5 albums of 2014 in k-pop for sure.

Oh God it's happening. Wonder Girls and SNSD random play dance. It'll be glorious.

Ashhong

Why u all sleeping on Loved? Best song on there. Noticing that the sound quality isn't so good though. I don't like these oldie filters they have in some of the songs

ramyeon

Why u all sleeping on Loved? Best song on there. Noticing that the sound quality isn't so good though. I don't like these oldie filters they have in some of the songs
No one's sleeping on Loved man, we all know it's great :p I'm not picking favorites though, I'd be here all day trying to decide.

Didn't notice any issues with the audio quality though.

llehuty

Really enjoying the 1-2-3 punch at the beginning, with "Candle" being the highlight. There are also some solid tracks in the middle. "Loved" chorus is the ultimate earworm. "One Black Night" dark synth during the verses is great.

And I don't know where you are listening Loved (or the album) from, but in general the production is very crispy.

And Candle remains the better track. That production!!. The intro alone is god tier.

Edit: Last Show Me The Money ep subbed.

JKTrix

Yenny was my pick since that acapella Christmas thing she did with the guy from 2PM on guitar.

Lots of good 'K-pop' lately.

Ashhong

And I don't know where you are listening Loved (or the album) from, but in general the production is very crispy.

And Candle remains the better track. That production!!. The intro alone is god tier.

Listening on high quality Apple Music. Overall a lot of the songs have a filter to make it sound more old school. At least that's how I hear it, using my Audio Technica M50s..

ramyeon

Listening on high quality Apple Music. Overall a lot of the songs have a filter to make it sound more old school. At least that's how I hear it, using my Audio Technica M50s..
I'm not hearing it.

---

I really like "Let's Not Fall in Love" from E.

My problem lies in the melodies of most of the songs. They just aren't catchy for me. Most of the songs have this very breathless type singing and don't sound good to me. Wish I could explain my thoughts better.

But uh... that is the 80's sound.

Tears For Fears' "Everybody wants to rule the world", Phil Collins' "A Groovy Kind of love", Spandau Ballet's "True", Starship's "Nothing Gonna Stop Us Now", and I could go on and on... this "breathless" singing was very popular in the 80's. I understand why you don't like it, but that's the 80's through and through lol.

I don't like these oldie filters they have in some of the songs

Lol I think you might need to clear your ears man. Listening to it on my Sony MDR-V6 studio headphones and my KRK Rokit 5 studio monitors and there is no such thing at all. If anything, they NEED a tape filter to make it sound fully retro... I might actually play around with it later tonight if I've got time.

Anyway, Faded Love or Rewind does it for me. Those synths and drum machines are just pure 80's heaven... it's fncking amazing. FL gets more love from me though because it's one of the chillest tracks I've heard all year... it's basically a Kavinsky track with WG vocals and you cannot get any better than that imo.

feist_

Banned
T-ara is an odd song, yet I like it better than most of you. Soyeon almost single-handedly makes the chorus work, even if the rest of the song is lacking.

Hong Jin Young - http://harane.megaplug.kr/1508/홍진영찍을맛_1.mp4

Park Shin Hye (ENG Subs) - [LOTTE DUTY FREE] #2 The beginning of a lyrical journey in Jeju_ENG
Park Shin Hye (ENG Subs) - [LOTTE DUTY FREE] #Full ver. The beginning of a lyrical journey in Jeju_ENG

Is Faded Love the best track on the WG album? Possibly.
Possibly. I tried to tell people, but what I was working from was a terribly translated version of the title.
'Faded Love' is good enough to give any of Reboot's other top tier songs a run for their money.

What a fucking trooper. She's too pure, kind and beautiful for this world. Still expecting the album will be boring however. But it's alright, my love in unconditional Sera.
Same. She's still best Muse in perpetuity, having arguably put in more blood, sweat, tears than the others. I'll likely support even if it's bad.

best hyorin, uee, yoo seung ok

feist_

Banned
Soyeon 3 faces ago so good.

That was the translation I made of the title and posted here and Reddit. It spread. It is an actual translation of the Korean title as opposed to a reworking of it, which the official English title is.
Really? I didn't have the hangul at the time, and noticed both "When Love..." titles on a Japanese site, among others. Shouldn't say terrible, so much as it seemed like a straight translation, which may or may not have been intended to be so literal.

I actually prefer When Love Tries To Leave over Faded Love. *shrug

ramyeon

Soyeon 3 faces ago so good.

Really? I didn't have the hangul at the time, and noticed both "When Love..." titles on a Japanese site, among others. Shouldn't say terrible, so much as it seemed like a straight translation, which may or may not have been intended to be so literal.

I actually prefer When Love Tries To Leave over Faded Love. *shrug
There's no other way that I could think of to translate the &#47140; &#54644; part. This is literally to have the intention of doing something/be about to do something. I don't think it's terrible, it is more literal. Faded Love sounds more natural and gets across the general gist well enough. I did make a note in the translation that it was quick and dirty though.

Top Bottom