• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT7| A Great Trash Leader as Always

llehuty

I was secretly hoping that maybe, just maybe, I was looking in the wrong places for that. I've never actually watched it (properly), but would definitely give it a chance if I could get subs.
They have the previous two seasons of Unpretty Rapstar here if you are interested.

And post your list!! I'm actually curious

Kazzy

They have the previous two seasons of Unpretty Rapstar here if you are interested.

And post your list!! I'm actually curious

Yeah, that's actually a good idea. I'm familiar with them, but have never really watched any. Also, hindsight has the advantage of lending those seasons actual star-power.

And the list may actually give the thread a more general impression of my taste, and could probably help me nail down some recommendations. Would be useful, as I went to the music store yesterday and was kind of clutching at what new releases to buy.
So just decided to finally buy '4 Walls' instead, as well as 'Melting'.

Eldren

Hit The Stage is a bit weird. I'm wondering if some fandoms aren't committing to subs yet because the line up is supposed to change between episodes. Maybe they think it's not urgent if their fave is only going to be in one or two episodes. Hopefully they do sub it though because it's pretty fun.

I can't wait for Hyoyeon's stage, during the part where Momo was choosing her performance slot there was a clip of Hyo rehearsing to Cell Block Tango from Chicago. Give it to me now.

Kazzy

Daejeon is too hot today, so while I'm sat in this cafe, I may as well get to that list...

• Afterschool - Shh
  • BOA - Kiss My Lips
  • f(x) - Dracula
  • KARA - Mamma Mia
  • Oh My Girl - Cupid
  • TTS - Adrenaline
  • Luna - Free Somebody
  • Girls Generation - Flower Power
  • Sistar - Shake It
  • Wondergirls - Baby Don't Play
  • Red Velvet - Automatic
  • Taeyeon - Good Thing
Just going mostly on what I've actually got in library (so stuff I've actually bought), so I've most likely forgotten some songs I should be including. A lot of it may seem recent, but that generally grabs my ear is the stuff that reminds me most of Electro, so that's why I'm generally not a fan of the cute concept, nor the sound that generally goes along with that. Also, a distinct lack of boys! But that's mainly because my Japanese-ex is pretty much responsible for turning me back onto the genre again, and her likes were almost always girl-groups (added bonus of getting tickets for concerts that happened in Tokyo, though!) My taste has gradually diverged from there, and that's why I have a huge blind-spot in that regard. Feel free to throw me recommendations!

You know, it's for that reason that I'm always extremely hesitant to buy k-pop sometimes. I feel like (even now), most albums are still really reliant on the generic filler tracks. I think the notable (recent) exceptions for me are 'Ice Cream Cake', 'Reboot', 'Holler', and 'Why'. Probably no coincidence they are the ones that usually I feel have a consistent sound, and aren't just filled with singles, and anything else to cover the track listings.

I still consider a novice, so feel free to poke holes in my selection. Tried to stick to the idea that everything needs an MV, and not to repeat artists, so that shuffled my initial playlist...somewhat.

llehuty

Daejeon is too hot today, so while I'm sat in this cafe, I may as well get to that list...

• Afterschool - Shh
  • BOA - Kiss My Lips
  • f(x) - Dracula
  • KARA - Mamma Mia
  • Oh My Girl - Cupid
  • TTS - Adrenaline
  • Luna - Free Somebody
  • Girls Generation - Flower Power
  • Wondergirls - Baby Don't Play (I feel You)
  • Red Velvet - Automatic
  • Taeyeon - Good Thing
5Uku0g7.gif

That list is fantastic. You got me with After School's Shh. SO DAMN GOOD.

As for some early recommendations, if you like electro you should try with some T-ara if you haven't given a chance yet.

As for the album comment... I agree, there are plenty of cases with filler tracks that aren't worth anyones time. Right now, before buying an album, I try to listen to it online at least once, except for groups like f(x), Wonder Girls and DalShabet, that have very consistent dicographies.

Peru

Why was I led to believe Hyuna would put out a summer-y single in other words Bubble Pop. This sounds pretty standard.

I'll need to re-listen when I'm not exhausted because heavy fatigue tends to skew my perception of new music.

Until then, both songs seem like non-events.

OMG had telegraphed what their intention was, so a standard-fare seasonal song isn't all that surprising.

Had no expectations of Hyuna, though. While it has a few nice elements, it's fairly "by-the-numbers." Would the song or video be drastically different if you swapped Hyuna out for CL?

Again, could be fatigue warping my take on these, but we'll see...

OMG breaking their streak with an eh summer song. I think it's a missed opportunity.

On the other hand I like Hyuna. It's obvious what it's trying to do, and it does an okay job at it. I appreciate that it's not trying too hard, but it's just right and catchy enough. Ignoring the MV, I like it.. kinda.

llehuty

OMG new single is such a no event. Meh. They did have other 2 solid releases months ago, so I won't complain too much.

Hyuna on the other hand falls a bit short. It's a super anonimous track and MV. You could swap her with any rapper idol with a sexy edge and I don't know if I could tell the difference. I's a shame about the MV, because most of the times they have an uniqure concept or look to it.

Ther rest of the album is more "her" though. Do It, with the drum and bass chorus in line with Cheer Up is quite good. Wolf is also a solid breathy R&B track. And 꼬리쳐 could be a grower, I really enjoy when she goes full on playful.

______

Eunwoo dance fancams from the latesst Pledis Girlz concert:

In the middle
7/11

Pleaaase don't screw it up Pledis. Put that Seventeen money in good use.
We all know they won't ;_;

Not sure what y'all were expecting from a Summer remake filler track from OMG.

Considering earlier this year they promoted the superior '1 step 2 steps' as a no MV b-side, they did put expectations quite high. The remake misses that flair OMG have had in their previous promotions, maybe it'll show more in live performances.

Both songs = trash.

What a good way to start the last half of the year!
/s

Anyway, I have no clue who Lovelyz are but I have to say, they're killing it on this ep of Knowing Brothers. Who's the maknae with a somewhat RBF? She cute.

Lastly, I actually don't understand myself how there seems to be a lack of subbers for Korean shows when the act of translating is easy. I watch a lot of Filipino TV and since I spoke the language for the first 13 years of my life I can still fully understand everything and translate on the fly.

Maybe there's a lack of Korean expats willing to translate the shows themselves? I mean I wouldn't translate Filipino TV for free but I'd definitely do it for a small amount of money lol.

Subbing on the other hand... yeah fnck that. I edit video for a living and I wouldn't dare try to use subtitles on Premiere Pro... it's already too tedious to create lower thirds and all that mess. Doing for an hour show? Yeah, you gotta pay me good money to do that.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Lovelyz' maknae is Yein. Yeah, she's adorable. The group is best on shows like that. They're so good as a team it's hard to think of them separately.

Lovelyz' maknae is Yein. Yeah, she's adorable. The group is best on shows like that. They're so good as a team it's hard to think of them separately.

Misoo is cute too but she looks like a carbon copy of Solar so eh. Kei's also a carbon copy of someone too... if you told me she was Minah from Girls' Day I would've believed you all the way.

Are they on any other variety shows besides Weekly Idol?

But yeah, Yein's a cutie. That semi-RBF makes her even more awesome in my book haha.

Hey feist-bro can I make a request? Lol.

Misoo is cute too but she looks like a carbon copy of Solar so eh. Kei's also a carbon copy of someone too... if you told me she was Minah from Girls' Day I would've believed you all the way.

Are they on any other variety shows besides Weekly Idol?

But yeah, Yein's a cutie. That semi-RBF makes her even more awesome in my book haha.

Hey feist-bro can I make a request? Lol.

Are you talking about Mijoo or Jisoo? Cause rankings go like this: Mijoo > Jiae > Jisoo > Jin = Yein > the rest

Are you talking about Mijoo or Jisoo? Cause rankings go like this: Mijoo > Jiae > Jisoo > Jin = Yein > the rest

Yeah Mijoo lol. The one who looks a lot like Solar from Mamamoo.

As for the rankings... it's too early for me to rank since this is the first time I've ever seen them so I'll save it for when I see more lol

Kazzy

Lastly, I actually don't understand myself how there seems to be a lack of subbers for Korean shows when the act of translating is easy. I watch a lot of Filipino TV and since I spoke the language for the first 13 years of my life I can still fully understand everything and translate on the fly.

Maybe there's a lack of Korean expats willing to translate the shows themselves? I mean I wouldn't translate Filipino TV for free but I'd definitely do it for a small amount of money lol.

Subbing on the other hand... yeah fnck that. I edit video for a living and I wouldn't dare try to use subtitles on Premiere Pro... it's already too tedious to create lower thirds and all that mess. Doing for an hour show? Yeah, you gotta pay me good money to do that.

I appreciate posts like this. Obviously it's way more niche than Japanese stuff, so there are way less people willing/able to do it, but you'd assume that there would at least be enough of a crossover.

-------

Also, not very enthusiastic about listening to these songs now. I don't particularly like Hyuna anyway, but when even the fans are a bit down on it? Uh-oh...

No No Eul

Ladies and gentlemen, presenting your new K-Pop GAF Essentials Playlist.

Thanks again to all of you who voted. 242 different tracks were nominated. Any songs that received three votes or more made it onto the list above. (Since Bing Bing and News were released in the first half of 2012, I've moved them to the older K-Pop GAF Classics Playlist.)

Full results below:
8 Oh My Girl - Closer
6 Bestie - Love Options
6 Oh My Girl - Windy Day
6 Wonder Girls - I Feel You
5 EXID - Up & Down
5 Fiestar - One More
5 Girl's Day - Expectation
5 IU - Sogyeokdong
5 Red Velvet - Dumb Dumb
5 Sunmi - 24 Hours
4 9 Muses - Wild
4 AOA - Heart Attack
4 Brave Girls - Deepened
4 Crayon Pop - Bing Bing
4 Dal Shabet - B.B.B
4 f(x) - 4 Walls
4 f(x) - Red Light
4 GFriend - Me Gustas Tu
4 Girls' Generation - I Got A Boy
4 Hello Venus - Would You Stay For Tea?
4 Hyuna - Red
4 Stellar - Vibrato
4 T-ara - Sugar Free
4 Twice - Like OOH-AHH
3 4Minute - Hate
3 9 Muses - News
3 AOA - Miniskirt
3 Big Bang - Loser
3 Luna - Free Somebody
3 Orange Caramel - Catallena
3 Primary - Don't Be Shy feat. Choa, Iron
3 Red Velvet - Ice Cream Cake
3 Red Velvet - One of These Nights
3 Satbyeol - By Your Side
3 SHINee - Married to the Music
3 Song Ji Eun - Don't Look At Me Like That
———————————————————————
2 2NE1 - Come Back Home
2 2NE1 - Gotta Be You
2 4Minute - Crazy
2 9 Muses - Dolls
2 9 Muses - Glue
2 9 Muses - Gun
2 A Pink - NoNoNo
2 Block B - Her
2 BoA - Kiss My Lips
2 BTS - Dope
2 Cokejazz & Hoody - Blue Horizon
2 Dal Shabet - Someone Like You
2 Dynamic Duo - BAAAM
2 EXO - Growl
2 Gaeko - No Makeup(feat Zion.T, Ha:Tfelt)
2 Gain - Paradise Lost
2 GFriend - Rough
2 Glam - In Front of the Mirror
2 Hoody - Baby Oh Baby
2 Hoody - Like You
2 Hyosung - Good-Night Kiss
2 Infinite - The Chaser
2 KARA - Mamma Mia
2 Ladies Code - Galaxy
2 Mamamoo - Um Oh Ah Yeh
2 MINX - Why Did You Come To My House?
2 Neon Bunny - Romance In Seoul
2 Red Velvet - Automatic
2 Red Velvet - Happiness
2 Sistar - Shake It
2 Sistar 19 - Gone Not Around Any Longer
2 Sunmi - Full Moon
2 Suran - Calling in Love (Feat. Beenzino)
2 Tiffany - Heartbreak Hotel
2 Twice - Cheer Up
2 Wonder Girls - Why So Lonely
2 Zion T - Yanghwa Bridge
1 2BiC - Bye Bye Love
1 2PM - Go Crazy
1 4Minute - Canvas (360VR MV)
1 4minute - Is It Poppin
1 4Minute - What's Your Name?
1 9 Muses - Ticket
1 A Pink - Mr. Chu
1 After School - First Love
1 After School - Flashback
1 Afterschool - Shh
1 Ailee - Don't Touch Me
1 Ailee - I Will Show You
1 AKMU - 200%
1 AKMU - RE BYE
1 ALMENG - Phone in Love (폰인러브)
1 Anda - S Mastering
1 Anda - Touch
1 Anjake - Earthquake
1 AOA - Confused
1 AOA - Get Out
1 AOA - Good Luck
1 AOA - Like a Cat
1 AOA Cream - I'm Jelly Baby
1 Azin - Delete
1 Bestie - Hot Baby
1 bESTie - Thank u very much
1 BewhY - The Time Goes On
1 Big Bang - Bang Bang Bang
1 Big Bang - Blue
1 Blady - Blood Type B Girl
1 BoA - The Shadow
1 BoA - Who Are You
1 Boyfriend - Janus
1 Brave Girls - Nowadays You
1 Brown Eyed Girls - Brand New World
1 BTS - Danger
1 BTS - Hormone War
1 BTS - I Need U
1 C-Clown - Far Away...Young Love
1 C-Clown - Shaking Heart
1 CL - The Baddest Female
1 CLC - Pepe
1 CLC - 궁금해 (Like)
1 Crush - 9 to 5(feat. Gaeko)
1 Davichi - Be Warmed
1 Dean - D (half moon)
1 Dynamic Duo - Jam
1 Eddy Kim X Lee Sung-Kyung - My Lips like Warm Coffee
1 ELUPHANT - simSim
1 Epik High - Born Hater
1 Epik High - Spoiler + Happen Ending
1 EXID - Ah Yeah
1 EXID - Every Night
1 EXO - Monster
1 Fatdoo - A phone call with my dead friend
1 Fiestar - Apple Pie
1 FIESTAR(피에스타) _ You’re pitiful(짠해)
1 F-ve Dolls - Soulmate #1
1 Gary - Get Some Air Feat. Miwoo
1 G-Dragon - COUP D'ETAT
1 G-Dragon - Crooked
1 GI - Beatles
1 Girl's Day - Darling
1 Girl's Day - Don't Forget Me
1 GIRL'S DAY - female president
1 Girl's Day - Hello Bubble
1 Girls' Generation - Flower Power
1 Girls' Generation - Mr Mr
1 girls' generation - You Think
1 Glen Check - Racket
1 got7 - just right
1 Hara - Choco Chip Cookies (Feat. Giriboy)
1 Hatfelt - Ain't Nobody
1 Heize - Shut Up and Groove
1 Hello Venus - Romantic Love
1 HELLOVENUS - Wiggle Wiggle
1 Hong Jin Young - Cheer Up
1 Hyolyn, Zico, Paloalto - Dark Panda
1 Hyosung - Find Me
1 Hyoyeon feat. some guys - Maxstep
1 hyukoh - Comes and Goes
1 Hyukoh (featuring Primary) - Gondry
1 HyunA - Because I'm The Best
1 HyunA - Bubble Pop!
1 hyuna - roll deep
1 ikon - Airplane
1 iKon - Apology
1 IU - Friday
1 IU - Red Shoes
1 J Rabbit - Good Luck To All
1 J Rabbit - Greetings
1 Jay Park - Joah
1 Jay Park - Mommae
1 Jimin - Puss
1 Joayo (조아요) - '내게 들어와'
1 Kara - Damaged Lady
1 KARA - Lupin
1 KARA - Pandora
1 Kiss&Cry - Domino Game
1 Kisum - My Jam
1 KittiB - Doin' Good
1 Kiwi in Season (키위가 제철) - Holding On
1 Laboum - Aalow Aalow
1 Lee Hi - Hold My Hand
1 Leessang - Tears
1 Lim Kim - Ahwoo
1 Lim Kim - Rain
1 Loco - Thinking About You
1 Lovelyz - Good Night Like Yesterday
1 Mamamoo - 1cm
1 Mamamoo - Piano Man
1 MFBTY - Angel
1 Miss A - Hush
1 Miss A - Only You
1 NCT - 7th Sense
1 Neon Bunny - It's You
1 Nieah - Alright
1 nieah tell me why
1 NU-EST - 여보세요
1 Oh My Girl - Cupid
1 oh my girl - Liar Liar
1 Gyuri, From The Airport - The Little Prince
1 P-Type - Don Quixote 2 (feat. The Barberettes)
1 Purfles - 1, 2, 3
1 Rainbow - Black Swan
1 Red Velvet - be Natural
1 Roy Kim - Bom Bom Bom
1 San E - Body Language(feat. Bumkey)
1 SanE&Rania - Midsummer Nights Sweetness
1 secret - I'm In Love
1 Seventeen - Mansae
1 SEVENTEEN - Very Nice
1 SHINee - Sherlock
1 Shinee - View
1 Sienna - Doo Me (feat. The Quiett)
1 SISTAR - Give It To Me
1 Sistar - I Like That
1 SISTAR19 - Ma Boy
1 Soran - 살빼지 마요
1 Soyou + Giriboy - pillow
1 Soyou&JungGiGo - Some
1 Speed - What U
1 Spica - Ghost
1 Spica - Tonight
1 Stellar - Marionette
1 Stellar - Sting
1 Stellarjet - Guiding Light
1 Sunny Hill - Monday Blues
1 Super Junior - Devil
1 Super Junior 슈퍼주니어_백일몽 (Evanesce)
1 SUPER JUNIOR-D&E_너는 나만큼 (Growing Pains)
1 Taeyang - 1AM
1 Taeyang - Eyes Nose Lips
1 Taeyang - Ringa Linga (Dance Performance Version)
1 Taeyeon - Why
1 tako and j hyung타코앤제이형 있어줄게
1 Tensi Love - Shine
1 U Sung Eun - Healing
1 Urban Zakapa - I Don't Love You
1 Urban Zakapa - Two One Two
1 VIXX - Hyde
1 VIXX - On and On
1 Wa$$up - Stupid Liar
1 Wheesung - Night and Day
1 Wonny (feat.Device Hoon) - 오늘까지만(By Today)
1 Yerin Baek - Bye Bye My Blue
1 Zico - Boys and Girls
1 Zion.T - Two Melodies
1 니가 알던 내가 아냐(feat.사이먼 도미닉)′ - 원, G2, 비와이

It's a pretty damn solid list I think. I considered restricting groups to one song each (since RV, OMG, AOA and f(x) have multiple songs on the list) but then I thought nah. Embrace your new queens.

roaSone

Dang, after delaying it multiple times, I actually forgot to make my list... Next time now I guess.
solid work once again NNE.

Kazzy

Full results below

Great work! Also agree with most of the picks for the artists I went in for, and kind of made contrary picks just for the sheer shake of variety - but probably shouldn't have done that!

Also a nice reminder to maybe reevaluate some of my opinions on certain groups, because AOA having that many high-ranking songs?!? And here I am, refusing to give them a chance, in part due to the way they are pushed over here
I blame Seolhyun, Korea likes her a little too much!

llehuty

Damn! That's a very solid list! I agree almost completely with it
#justice4Lupin

Nice job NoNoEul, I really like the transfer to older list thing you did. We should do that everytime in case there are some songs that didn't get much love when they were released and get some traction afterwards. As for multiple songs for artists... I also like it (but because I like the groups in that list, if not I would be against it, lol).

Thanks for doing this No No Eul, I would check the less of 3 votes tracks, I saw some surprising choices after a fast scan, should be fun seeing the nichiest things people like :p

Also, NO A-Pink.

giphy.gif

Also a nice reminder to maybe reevaluate some of my opinions on certain groups, because AOA having that many high-ranking songs?!? And here I am, refusing to give them a chance, in part due to the way they are pushed over here
I blame Seolhyun, Korea likes her a little too much!

AOA are ok. It took me a while to get into them, but based Mina did the trick. But I can understand being over them if they are being promoted to death over there.

I appreciate posts like this. Obviously it's way more niche than Japanese stuff, so there are way less people willing/able to do it, but you'd assume that there would at least be enough of a crossover.

Right?

The funny thing is that one of the major TV stations in the Philippines already subs all their pre-recorded shows for their international channel. Stuff like news or live shows obviously doesn't get translated on the first airing, but they've been making waves in trying to get it done.

The sad thing about k-shows is that I don't think it'll get past a fansub phase like anime did. The content is apparently too expensive to license and there really is no demand to bring it in physical form or in a TV/cable setting.

Woah, I'm actually kinda shocked that Shyshyshy didn't get 3 votes... I didn't vote for it coz I thought it was already a given lol.

Overall though, that's a pretty good list even without the better song choices that got 1 or 2 votes. I agree with llehuty, it might be a good idea to put those songs with 1/2 votes in a separate thing or have them up for voting again to go on the essentials list... there's some songs in there that are absolutely essential.

Also, NO A-Pink.

giphy.gif

AOA are ok. It took me a while to get into them, but based Mina did the trick. But I can understand being over them if they are being promoted to death over there.

Lol I still honestly can't get into AOA. Like A Cat is the only song from them that I really like... everything else is boring.

A-Pinkeu not making it into the list is a shame but it's understandable. Their stuff is usually hidden guilty pleasures for most people haha.

Kazzy

Huh, I thought
assumed
the general consensus on here regarding AOA was positive?

Also, if I hear another boring poll where military men pick them as their favorites, I'll scream!

It's almost as if they have no imagination or something...

Kazzy

Rainbow's Makestar photobook project is due to go live tomorrow, which presumably means in about 20 minutes' time. The first 100 orders get signed copies.

Even the lowest tier is pricey. I wonder if this'll succeed...

Right?

The funny thing is that one of the major TV stations in the Philippines already subs all their pre-recorded shows for their international channel. Stuff like news or live shows obviously doesn't get translated on the first airing, but they've been making waves in trying to get it done.

The sad thing about k-shows is that I don't think it'll get past a fansub phase like anime did. The content is apparently too expensive to license and there really is no demand to bring it in physical form or in a TV/cable setting.

Even so, I'd be pretty content with the fansubs being a consistent thing. Anime truly has spoilt me.

Maybe I should be more proactive with my Hangul (and then proceed to eventually lose it along with my Japanese).

llehuty

Also, if I hear another boring poll where military men pick them as their favorites, I'll scream!

LMAO. For me, they are not even in my top10 kpop groups (Mina is), since their music is a bit hit & miss. I enjoy more their earlier stuff like Elvis and Get Out.

The bigger AOA fans don't post that much in here lately. Giri, eldren, comeback! ;_;

Kazzy

나인뮤지스A [9MUSES A] -'입술에 입술(Lip 2 Lip)' Official Teaser.

What if Sugah and best Hyuna dodged a bullet with this comeback? Star empire, unleash the B MUSE subunit.

Promising!

-----

Those Hyuna and Oh! My Girl tracks are truly forgettable. I've literally already forgotten how they sound, and I wish I was just being melodramatic when I say that.

I honestly found '내 얘길 들어봐' to be a little bit quirky, and for that reason, it kind of caught my interest. 'How's This?' though? Really, damn, generic. Sounds similar to the likes of 'Firetruck', in that they sound like they are a pastiche of the current Western sound, but with no real stamps of their own, losing any sort of identity as a result.

fany getting rekt ��

If any British posters misread this sentence, they may get excited!

llehuty

In the "XXXX was robbed category" (aka the ones (I think) I voted that didn't made the cut)

Block B - Her
Gain - Paradise Lost
Hyosung - Good-Night Kiss
Infinite - The Chaser
KARA - Lupin
After School - Flashback
SHINee - Sherlock
Neon Bunny - It's you

In the "bless whoever voted this, because I didn't expect this getting votes"
MINX - Why Did You Come To My House?
Blady - Blood Type B Girl
Afterschool - Shh
GI - Beatles
Stellar - Marionette
Stellarjet - Guiding Light
Spica - Ghost
Purfles - 1, 2, 3
Rainbow - Black Swan
Gyuri, From The Airport - The Little Prince
Kiss&Cry - Domino Game

In the, "if this is so essential, why nobody has bothered writing even a word describing or commenting this song in this thread history
(sorry cuddler)
"
Anjake - Earthquake
Fatdoo - A phone call with my dead friend
Kiwi in Season (키위가 제철) - Holding On
tako and j hyung - 있어줄게
If it's ESSENTIAL, you know, talk about it, drop a sentence, ANYTHING.

Glam - In Front of the Mirror
RIP, I completely forgot about this group/song

Top Bottom