• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kai Cole, Joss Whedon's Ex-Wife, calls him out as a 'Hypocrite Preaching Feminism'

border

Google says that their eldest is 15ish, that has got to be amazingly shitty to be exposed to all of this at that age.

Oh man, if my mom or dad aired all of this out in public when I was that age I'd be unendingly furious and upset. Especially if it was like this, where it seems there's little motivation behind it other than "I want to ruin my ex's reputation."

Same.

Also, I really never got the praise people gave him.

If you cheat on your wife, I'm not exactly sure how much credit you'd get for calling yourself someone who respects women.

If a woman cheats on her husband I’m not going to automatically assume she has no respect for men.

Feel free to explain to the audience what does make you a creep. I'm genuinely curious now.

Being creepy? Being desired by women and having sex with them is the opposite of creepy. Stalking and harassing women is creepy. Consensual sex is not.

I'm not particularly interested in who Whedon had sex with, or what his ex-wife thinks of him. I don't think either of these things is any of my business, and I'm neither shocked, nor particularly surprised that Whedon cheated repeatedly on his wife. Nor does it make me think his opinions were wrong, because he didn't live up to his own ideals. Very few people do.

My thoughts exactly. Not a fan of Whedon but seems like an odd take.

Whompa02

If a woman cheats on her husband I’m not going to automatically assume she has no respect for men.

But that's disrespectful to men to betray their trust by cheating on them. Right?

Being creepy? Being desired by women and having sex with them is the opposite of creepy. Stalking and harassing women is creepy. Consensual sex is not.

Do you understand the basic rules of having a wife?

At least two men. Because you're also untrustworthy to the man you're cheating with as well as the original man. Also any subsequent men you decide to continue being untrustworthy with. Your logic is peculiar to say the least.

I’m sure anyone having sex with a married woman knows she’s married.

It’s a logical statement. You can broadly respect men while cheating on your husband. Being a feminist doesn’t mean you can’t do anything that upsets a single woman ever.

border

Cheating doesn't say anything about your respect or attitude towards an entire gender/sex.

Cheating does however kinda make you a creep/jerk.

Draft

He respects all women except just not the woman that bore his children and to whom he swore a vow of faithfulness.

Whompa02

I’m sure anyone having sex with a married woman knows she’s married.

It’s a logical statement. You can broadly respect men while cheating on your husband. Being a feminist doesn’t mean you can’t do anything that upsets a single woman ever.

First of all, that's not true. Not all women know they're being used as a pocket girlfriend. At all.

Secondly: I just pointed out how it's illogical to be untrustworthy and cheat on one woman, with another woman, and still claim that you have any respect for women. These are objects of obsession to him. You don't get it.

The instinct to defend a possible serial cheater's feminist cred is a funny thing.

For real. I'm actually pretty dumbfounded. if her testimony is true then it's pretty obvious that he's not.

danm999

There were times in our relationship that I was uncomfortable with the attention Joss paid other women. He always had a lot of female friends, but he told me it was because his mother raised him as a feminist, so he just liked women better.

“When I was running ‘Buffy,’ I was surrounded by beautiful, needy, aggressive young women. It felt like I had a disease, like something from a Greek myth. Suddenly I am a powerful producer and the world is laid out at my feet and I can’t touch it.”

Yikes...

If true this person does not respect women

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Oh man, if my mom or dad aired all of this out in public when I was that age I'd be unendingly furious and upset. Especially if it was like this, where it seems there's little motivation behind it other than "I want to ruin my ex's reputation."

I'm grateful that my parents refused to talk shit about each other at all after they divorced.

border

I'm grateful that my parents refused to talk shit about each other at all after they divorced.

My dad was not an especially high-profile member of the community, but he wasn't a nobody either. His divorce from my mom got exceeding nasty. Every day during my parents' divorce I'd wake up worried that I'd see some newspaper story about some awful thing one of them might have been involved in.

My dad absolutely loves to talk about how my mom made him put it in writing that he would not institutionalize her. My brother eats that shit up.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Disappointing and makes me think less of him for sure. Still think Firefly is the greatest TV ever its feminism is still relevant, but yeah. :

Huh? Fireflies has 3 sexually active female leads who don't "get punished for having sex"... this argument is dumb and has no basis.

Who's the third?

Because River was not sexually active.

Age of Utron is on TBS right now and during the final act they spend a significant amount of time on a random woman in a sundress trying to escape. I always thought that maybe she was one of Joss' special girls. After reading the story about his ex-wife I'm sure she has to be.

Pixieking

Banned
Who's the third?

Inara? It's debatable if you count her as "not being punished" when Mal talks down on her profession (and her, by extension), but I think if people are drastically going to revise their opinions on his shows and characters because of this, then it's getting a little out of hand. In terms of Mal and Inara's relationship, and his character, I wouldn't class her as being punished. Like, it's a moral conflict between them, and I don't think he perceives it as needlessly punishes her.

(Edit: for clarity in Firefly, I would count Inara, Kayleigh and Zoe as three sexually active female characters who aren't punished for having sex.)

Also, books, movies and TV have been punishing characters for having sex for forever. Every horror film ever, most '50s B-Movies, and Dracula. I think it's important to draw a distinction between voyeuristic and pointless, and not, but if we're doing that then Joss's shows shouldn't be singled out. Like, the rape-scene in the first episode of The Americans should get called out before the Spike/Buffy bathroom scene.

Keri

I hate the idea that she should have stayed silent, for the sake of the children . It feels manipulative. Whedon could have avoided cheating and giving their mother PTSD, for the sake of the children, but that's not being mentioned. Also, Whedon is the one opting to live a public lifestyle and if he, as she says, was referencing their marriage publicly, to further his feminist persona, then its more than fair for her to publicly comment and he's to blame for any pain this causes to his children.

At some point, she has to teach her children to stand up for themselves.

Cheating on someone doesn't necessarily make Joss a fraud when it comes to feminism.

It is generally a huge dickbag thing to do.

border

Who's the third?

Sexually active women of Firefly: Inara, Zoe, Kaylee, Safron.

It could be any of those 4. I don't think any of them are "punished" for having sex, though Inara certainly takes a bit of flak for being a sex worker. It's largely implied that Companions enjoy an elevated position in society, and that Mal is just a prude for looking down on her for it.

Riposte

He has a habit of insulting the appearances of women with politics he doesn't like, so the nice guy feminist angle did seem a little thin to me.

Whedon has always had a bit of a reputation in the industry that would align with this blog, yeah. In recent years, that reputation has spilled out into the public eye and this seems like it'll be the last few drops.

It's a shame too - always was a fan of his early work and the first Avengers. I remember the first time I had heard some questionable things about him, I was pretty surprised. The guy plays his character well.

Pixieking

Banned
Sexually active women of Firefly: Inara, Zoe, Kaylee, Safron.

It could be any of those 4. I don't think any of them are "punished" for having sex, though Inara certainly takes a bit of flak for being a sex worker. It's largely implied that Companions enjoy an elevated position in society, and that Mal is just a prude for looking down on her for it.

I forgot about Safron...

And I think it's actually explicitly stated by Mal(?) that one of the reasons for Inara being on-ship is that Companions can help get the ship onto more planets, which pretty heavily implies the universe counts them as being Upper Class. Inara is also one of the few characters to "escape the series" unhurt (physically and emotionally), even by the time Serenity's credits roll.

border

Also, Whedon is the one opting to live a public lifestyle and if he, as she says, was referencing their marriage publicly, to further his feminist persona, then its more than fair for her to publicly comment and he's to blame for any pain this causes to his children.

At some point, she has to teach her children to stand up for themselves.

I'm not saying she should have stayed silent.

But whatever "lesson" she might hope to teach here is going to be drowned out by the kids' sense of pain, anguish and humiliation. Since this testimony appears to be largely vindictive, it's entirely possible that you're teaching the wrong lesson. Teenagers are largely self-centered, so their takeaway from a situation like this is likely to be "Mom ruined my life just so she could hurt Dad."

Airola

It sounds as if he was that type of feminist who really really loves women and can't help it but fall in front of their greatness. And because he really really loves and respects women he should be allowed to fall once. At least. Maybe twice. Maybe three times. Maybe more. But he still really really loves women and the women know he loves them too because he's so respectful before and after they have sex. Women are so empowered when they can freely express them sexually and he's very glad to help them with that.

That type of feminist can and probably is legit willing to help women all around the world and probably really helps them too but it doesn't mean he isn't using his feminism also to his advantage.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Whedon has always had a bit of a reputation in the industry that would align with this blog, yeah. In recent years, that reputation has spilled out into the public eye and this seems like it'll be the last few drops.

It's a shame too - always was a fan of his early work and the first Avengers. I remember the first time I had heard some questionable things about him, I was pretty surprised. The guy plays his character well.

Hmmm, this is interesting. I had no idea he had a reputation.

I forgot about Safron...

Firefly has some major examples of Nice Guy Sexism:

1) War Stories basically was one giant set-up to the punchline of Mal pretending to sexually harass Zoey.

2) Mal's entire speech to Saffron the first time she enters the ship is textbook fedora. "M'lady, you fear not, for I am a real man". The first time I heard it, I needed to rewind just to make sure it was real.

3) Saffron's mark referring to her as being "too good for him" and that is why he knew she was a thief.

Let's not even get into Dollhouse: Nice Guy The Series.

Xero

The instinct to defend a possible serial cheater's feminist cred is a funny thing.
I haye how people on haf do this. Becayse he cheated and the definition of feminism are 2 different aspects being discussed. Lumping them together and claiming people are defending his cheating is manipulative.

Flo_Evans

I am not particularly a fan of his but I do think it's a kind of interesting situation.

So this guy is a faux feminist or whatever, but is publicly espousing feminist ideals and making feminist media. People are saying this a huge "nice guy" act to get women... but someone in his position doesn't even need to pretend to be a nice guy to have women throw themselves at him.

it's a shitty thing to cheat on your wife but IDK if that erases all of your other actions.

Keri

I'm not saying she should have stayed silent.

But whatever "lesson" she might hope to teach here is going to be drowned out by the kids' sense of pain, anguish and humiliation. Since this testimony appears to be largely vindictive, it's entirely possible that you're teaching the wrong lesson.

Any pain and humiliation they feel, because of their father's actions , is the fault of their father, especially if (as she says) she's responding to his continued use of their marriage as a shield. It's weird to point the blame at her, when he's the one who destroyed the family. She's just talking about how he destroyed the family.

border

Other than the first time Buffy sleeps with Angel, I have a hard time thinking of moments when a woman in a Whedon project was punished for having sex. But I haven't watched much Angel or any of Dollhouse.

Lord Fagan

Very complex situation. Personal information being aired out in public in the name of ideals is kind of hard to swallow.

I'm glad she's back on track with her career goals and having some breakthroughs in therapy(least it very much sounds like that's what's happening), but I just don't see how yelling this so loudly and with seemingly little regard for the unintended consequences is the best road to go down.

I could be totally wrong. She's describing a terribly brutal betrayal with some very arrogant hypocrisy on his part. Stuff like this is better tackled behind closed doors if only to err on the side of caution.

While Joss was ahead of the curve in the Buffy days as far as female representation in genre TV, he's long been left behind.

I'm glad he did his bit, but I am not surprised by these stories.

riotous

Banned
There's a really good chance the kids know damn well what their father did and are on their mother's side already. Either way it's odd to blame the mother for any pain they may feel.... over their Dad cheating on their Mom.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Yeah, I'm not sure how people can say this doesn't reflect poorly on his 'feminist' views.
It's a morality issue, not a gender rights issue. If he was gay he wouldn't be a misandrist if he cheated on his husband. It wouldn't be a men's rights issue. If anything, it's disrespectful to the institution of marriage.

border

Any pain and humiliation they feel, because of their father's actions , is the fault of their father, especially if (as she says) she's responding to his continued use of their marriage as a shield. It's weird to point the blame at her, when he's the one who destroyed the family. She's just talking about how he destroyed the family.

People in general react really poorly when family business gets aired in an incredibly public way like this. For many people that's almost a greater taboo than the infidelity.

I don't think an adolescent is going to read it like "Oh it's Dad's fault that now everyone knows our private business". She's been silent on this matter for many years at this point, so a teenager is more than likely going to have an opinion more along the lines of "Why did she have to speak out NOW?"

As a Buffy fan you could always tell there were tensions and dark dealings behind the scenes of our fun, positive show. I've been prepared for the secrets and tell-all books since it ended, and I guess that's staring now. I don't know if cheating makes Joss a bad feminist. But I do know it doesn't negate the feminist message of the work or make it wrong.

Same.

Also, I really never got the praise people gave him.

If you cheat on your wife, I'm not exactly sure how much credit you'd get for calling yourself someone who respects women.

Just because he had an affair doesn't mean he no longer stands for female equality in the workplace.

Pixieking

Banned
Firefly has some major examples of Nice Guy Sexism:

1) War Stories basically was one giant set-up to the punchline of Mal pretending to sexually harass Zoey.

2) Mal's entire speech to Saffron the first time she enters the ship is textbook fedora. "M'lady, you fear not, for I am a real man". The first time I heard it, I needed to rewind just to make sure it was real.

3) Saffron's mark referring to her as being "too good for him" and that is why he knew she was a thief.

Let's not even get into Dollhouse: Nice Guy The Series.

Oh, to be sure, it's not a great written work. I think a lot of the love it gets is due to it being an ensemble drama with some fantastic character interaction, which is down to the actors, and some decent world-building. But it at least isn't fodder for the whole concept of "Whedon tortures all his female characters", which I think is an over-extended theory anyways, given that Buffy is High School, and is torture for everyone (physically and emotionally).

Dollhouse grosses me out... The second season was better, and the concept is interesting, but was just not something that was handled very well. I think a Dollhouse commisioned by HBO which tackled head-on the "but can't dolls just be used for sex?" lurking in the back of everyone's mind might work. Westworld but urban and near-future mind-imprinting.

Top Bottom