• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kai Cole, Joss Whedon's Ex-Wife, calls him out as a 'Hypocrite Preaching Feminism'

Misha

Banned
No, I get that. I just think that it's weird that this criticism of Joss is so focused on his feminism. Yeah, he's a shit feminist. But more than that, he's a shit person, regardless of what anyone thinks of the feminist label.
Basically this:
But I now see how he used his relationship with me as a shield, both during and after our marriage, so no one would question his relationships with other women or scrutinize his writing as anything other than feminist.
When age of ultron came out there was a ton of "how could he be disrespectful, he's a feminist?". It becomes a shield for him and it ends up being damaging for other people when they take his actions while taking his word for who he is rather than recognizing he's disingenuous about it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
99% of gaffers would bang hot young Hollywood actresses if they had the chance. It's very hard to say no when you are a creator producer who every aspiring actor wants to sleep with.

I don't know how this makes him an anti feminists. Just an asshole who cheated on his wife and strung her along for 15 years. He's a grade a Cunt but this has nothing to do with feminism. Everyone cheats. Black white, gay, straight, racists and liberals.

I don't understand why making mistakes in a relationship should change what he says and does for feminism. Good luck looking into someone's life without finding huge contraditcions.

It's the phrasing that is telling

The fact that Whedon has to be "cute" while telling his wife about the young women he wants to fuck is disgusting.

Whedon has always come off as trying way too hard to sound like he writes.

I don't understand why making mistakes in a relationship should change what he says and does for feminism. Good luck looking into someone's life without finding huge contraditcions.

1) He cheated on her, multiple times. In secret.

2) Not all flaws are created equal.

LotusHD

Banned
99% of gaffers would bang hot young Hollywood actresses if they had the chance. It's very hard to say no when you are a creator producer who every aspiring actor wants to sleep with.

I don't know how this makes him an anti feminists. Just an asshole who cheated on his wife and strung her along for 15 years. He's a grade a Cunt but this has nothing to do with feminism. Everyone cheats. Black white, gay, straight, racists and liberals.

Not all of us are married tho...

Trying to play it off as "Whoops, well, it was inevitable" is weird, but alright.

Nah

royalan

I don't like subscribing fidelity to feminism because it doesn't really work in the reverse.

A man who cheats on his wife is a bad feminist. But a woman who cheats on her husband is a...???

While cheating can certainly be a symptom of misogyny, I think oftentimes it's more emblematic of one's own lack of moral fiber, trustworthiness and will power than it is their specific views on women.

A person (not necessarily Joss, because there are other issues with his feminism) can simultaneously consider themselves a feminist and not be able to keep their dick in their pants.

The notion that power imbalances necessarily meaningfully eliminate consent is rather reductionist, and is arguably at the heart of the equally fallacious argument that prostitution is inherently exploitative and evil because money, as a whole, is non-optional. "Sleep with me, or you won't get the part", stated directly or implicitly, would make him a pretty shitty feminist, but there is no indication that is the case baed on this account. Women can, in fact, elect to use their sexuality, and men's relatively higher sex drive and relatively lower value in the sexual marketplace, to their advantage. Without additional information, the actual dynamic at play, here, is unknown, and focusing in on one detail to the exclusion of all other potentially pertinent ones is just kinda lazy.
how does prostitution tie into the discussion about joss whedon? is whedon giving better parts to the employees he sleeps with the transaction, so they're prostituting themselves for better parts versus regular prostitution when it's just money? and then what about the fans he's supposedly slept with, what did they get out of the transaction? not sure how prostitution relates to this situation admittedly lol, especially since you seem to be using it as a defense.

Keri

I'm no fan of Joss whedon, but I think he comes across better than her with the editors note at the end of the article-

Editor’s Note: A spokesperson for Joss Whedon provided the following response, “While this account includes inaccuracies and misrepresentations which can be harmful to their family, Joss is not commenting, out of concern for his children and out of respect for his ex-wife.”

That makes him looks worse. It translates to: "Basically, she's a liar, but I want to look like the bigger person, so I'm going to word this in a way that makes me look like I'm not retaliating...but you still get she's a liar, right?"

That message plays perfectly in line with him being a hypocrite of a feminist, for show.

LotusHD

Banned
The argument is not about marital status but his power position.

Not saying I agree, but it’s more nuanced than whether you’re married.

I'm aware, I'm just saying that him being married is yet another reason why saying "You'd do it too if you were him" is a weird thing to say.

1) He cheated on her, multiple times. In secret.

2) Not all flaws are created equal.
So cheating on a partner makes you a fake feminist? Well I have a bad news for you...
By the way, it's ok to condemn the man for what he allegedly did but why condemn the ideas he tries to express?

I don't like subscribing fidelity to feminism because it doesn't really work in the reverse.

A man who cheats on his wife is a bad feminist. But a woman who cheats on her husband is a...???

While cheating can certainly be a symptom of misogyny, I think oftentimes it's more emblematic of one's own lack moral fiber, trustworthiness and will power than it is their specific views on women.

A person (not necessarily Joss, because there are other issues with his feminism) can simultaneously consider themselves a feminist and not be able to keep their dick in their pants.

This.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

I'm sure you didn't mean it literally, but I'm still just going to say not true on this.

Shaanyboi

Banned

I mean first mistake would be to assume a Hollywood producer isn't a skeezbag...

This is grossly disappointing, and probably in the realm of "should've seen it coming"

But I also agree with the comments that this doesn't relate directly to his views on feminism. One does not cancel out the possibility of the other.

Farsi

bJhPKQR.gif

While cheating can certainly be a symptom of misogyny, I think oftentimes it's more emblematic of one's own lack moral fiber, trustworthiness and will power than it is their specific views on women.

well-said

Kinyou

The notion that power imbalances necessarily meaningfully eliminate consent is rather reductionist, and is arguably at the heart of the equally fallacious argument that prostitution is inherently exploitative and evil because money, as a whole, is non-optional. "Sleep with me, or you won't get the part", stated directly or implicitly, would make him a pretty shitty feminist, but there is no indication that is the case baed on this account. Women can, in fact, elect to use their sexuality, and men's relatively higher sex drive and relatively lower value in the sexual marketplace, to their advantage. Without additional information, the actual dynamic at play, here, is unknown, and focusing in on one detail to the exclusion of all other potentially pertinent ones is just kinda lazy.
It's also worth pointing out that abusing his power as producer on impressionable young women isn't even something she accuses him of.

Either 85%+ people in this thread are being purposefully obtuse or they fail to understand that women facing pressure to sleep with workplace superiors is a serious problem.

Goodstyle

This is what bothers me more than anything. Cheating is one thing, but the way he broke this woman down and kept her around as shield comes off as disturbing. Also really makes me rethink a lot of his friendships with his actresses, like Amy Acker for example. That may have been an emotional affair that his wife found inappropriate.

Although, this could all be exaggerated, since Joss has his own side in this. I put the editor's note in the OP a while ago, but I definitely should have done that in the first place, my bad.

Veelk

Banned
On Joss being a 'bad' feminist:

Feminism is ultimately a philosophy and how good a feminist you are is kind of dependent on how well you live the ideals of that philosophy. If you go tell everyone how much of a vegan you are and it's revealed you eat a burger once a week, it's fair to say you are a bad vegan, even if you truly honestly believe in the ideals of veganism and that eating animals is wrong. The way Joss has always come across to me, and especially in light of this story is that his beliefs are authentic, he just failed to live up to them in a major way.

It's not cheating itself, but the various associations his particular case of cheating has. The power dynamic he has between himself and the actresses he worked with (even if they were consensual) as well as the risk of STD he exposed to his wife play a huge factor. But for me, this quote sticks out.

”When I was running ‘Buffy,' I was surrounded by beautiful, needy, aggressive young women. It felt like I had a disease, like something from a Greek myth. Suddenly I am a powerful producer and the world is laid out at my feet and I can't touch it."

This whole thing might have read different if he had cheated on his wife with women he met outside his work set, like with strangers at a bar or whatever. That would have still been not good, but it would have been with someone on equal terms. But he did it with women who were directly under his power as a director, which he should know that he only has as a result of a great deal of gender bias toward male directors. And this quote suggests that this is a part of what attracted him to those women in particular, because of the power he wielded over them....

So when you say you ascribe to a philosophy set against use of patriarchal power and then, when you are in a position of power, you use it to do the very thing feminism argues against....it's hard to say that you aren't being a bad feminist in that moment. Even if you believe in the ideals of feminism on a philosophical or intellectual level, which I think Whedon does. He just can't seem to reconcile that with enjoying patriarchal privilege.

That said, I'm not a fan of using this to discredit the feministic values and accomplishments he wrote into his work. When people talk about seperating the author from the work, it doesn't mean pretending the author doesn't exist (because that's pointless), but rather not letting who the author is dictate the meaning of that work. I've wrote before about how, in Firefly, he crafted a universe where sexism was severely underpowered as a social belief, even if it still existed, and I still think that holds true. The story Whedon wrote exists outside of who Whedon is as a person.

Edit: There is also his personal treatment of his wife to consider. From what his wife describes, he objectified her, not sexually, but as a shield to for him to use to protect his own reputation. Again, if this was just an affair, it might not have much track with putting his feminist ideals in question, but the fact that he used her like this instead of treating her as a person is contrary to feminist ideology of treating women humanistically.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
The show Girlfriend's Guide to Divorce has a cheating director husband character who is having an affair with a 20 year old actress, who is the star of a CW show about vampire hunting. I always suspected it was some low-key tea spillage because the showrunner of Girlfriend's Guide is Marti Nixon who...*drumroll* was a producer on Buffy. I just never imagined it might be about Joss. But who knows.

Big fan of Whedon, I'd hate to find out he's been doing some dirt.
Huh, this is... actually really telling. That absolutely sounds like Noxon dropping some dirt on Whedon.

Dai101

Banned

That 99% of gaffers will make a thread first asking how to talk to those hot hollywood actresses.

Glass Rebel

I am not sure why people are looking at infidelity as this isolated thing instead of one of many elements that put his supposed feminism in a very bad light.

That makes him looks worse. It translates to: "Basically, she's a liar, but I want to look like the bigger person, so I'm going to word this in a way that makes me look like I'm not retaliating...but you still get she's a liar, right?"

That message plays perfectly in line with him being a hypocrite of a feminist, for show.

Not only that but theres an insinuation that the blog is harming their kids and that joss, knowing this and pointing it out a sentence ago, will not say anything to further harm the family.

It basically reeks of Joss(or his spokeperson) saying "wow shes damaging our kids, lying, and I will not speak up because I respect her."

MartyStu

I'm not particularly interested in who Whedon had sex with, or what his ex-wife thinks of him. I don't think either of these things is any of my business, and I'm neither shocked, nor particularly surprised that Whedon cheated repeatedly on his wife. Nor does it make me think his opinions were wrong, because he didn't live up to his own ideals. Very few people do.

Pretty much.

Unless you had him a pedestal, nothing here is monstrous enough to pull out pitchforks or to retroactively dismiss his body of work.

Pretty scummy though.

Kayhan

”When I was running ‘Buffy,' I was surrounded by beautiful, needy, aggressive young women. It felt like I had a disease, like something from a Greek myth. Suddenly I am a powerful producer and the world is laid out at my feet and I can't touch it."

Yikes. That makes him sound like a major hypocrite sexist pig.

All these needy hot young women just need my powerful self, you know.

SaviorX

See the shovel, as they throw dirt on his name
Male feminists, like kings, are never self-proclaimed
He claimed it was mono, but its polygamy he's needing
So is the story off Joss, the Whedon

I feel bad for the ex-wife. It sounds like her life has been ruined and she is still putting back the pieces.
But does Joss Whedon being a bad husband and a cheater has anything to do with being a feminist? It seems to me that you're a feminist if you believe that men and women are equal. It's separated from that you're a good or bad person.

Foggy

Not terribly shocking. His particular fascination with feminism seems to begin and end at the same psychological impulse that boys have from teasing girls on the playground and having them chase him.

It looks hypocritical to say you respect women when you repeatedly and habitually disrespect the one woman you committed to hold above all others.

Yup. Never carried any real flag for the guy, but still pretty shitty to hear that someone who's supposedly in your corner is a douchebag.

It's also worth pointing out that abusing his power as producer on impressionable young women isn't even something she accuses him of.

Joss admitted that for the next decade and a half, he hid multiple affairs and a number of inappropriate emotional ones that he had with his actresses, co-workers, fans and friends, while he stayed married to me.

this implies he did. "his actresses, co-workers, and fans," especially the fans part.

Keri

While cheating can certainly be a symptom of misogyny, I think oftentimes it's more emblematic of one's own lack of moral fiber, trustworthiness and will power than it is their specific views on women.

I think if we were in the reverse scenario, where a famous female director had bolstered her career by championing the equal and respectful treatment of men, and then it was discovered that she'd cheated on her husband to sleep around with younger male actors, it would be equally indicative of her sucking, as a person.

JABEE

Joss Whedon and celebrities are humans with flaws. The expectation for them to be an idyllic representation or brand is what we have come to expect from public people like actors and big name directors, but this has not changed and is unsurprising.

Tiger Woods was the same way. People for some reason hated Tiger Woods for being the best golfer in the world whose brand as a family man was publicly shattered.

I can understand with politicians preaching family values and morals to win elections, but Whedon and Woods cheating on their wives is a personal issue.

Whedon sleeping with actresses is an ethically messy thing though if he is taking advantage of his position of power.

All successful, rich and famous people are scumbags. It's so cute this would surprise anyone.

Or that anyone would care, for that matter.

So cheating on a partner makes you a fake feminist?

Yes.

And it doesn't make you look good or unbiased when you accuse any entire thread of having skeletons in their closet as big as the one under fire.

By the way, it's ok to condemn the man for what he allegedly did but why condemn the ideas he tries to express?

If his actions betray those ideas....

Also, what ideas specifically are you talking about?

Kayhan

All successful, rich and famous people are scumbags. It's so cute this would surprise anyone.

Or that anyone would care, for that matter.

I think it is more the obnoxious hypocrisy of his public feminist persona that bothers people rather than any real surprise.

Top Bottom