• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kamen Rider Drive |OT| START YOUR ENGINE AND DRIVE THE KAMEN RIDER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vareon

That was a pretty cool one off episode in the midst of two parters we get. A character focus on the side characters is nice, too.

Defuser

2f031rqi.gif

RIP Number 72.

WarRock

Such a good episode. Hope we see a Brain vs Medic fight eventually, instead of Brain dying against the Riders trying to prove himself or something.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Very strong episode this week (And when was the last time the monsters just straight up killed people...although, Drive has been very unclear what happens to the Roidmude victims), and some cool fights. Next week looks like the biggest climax of Drive so far.

vareon

I'm still loving Drive, but it's starting to show its weakness. Chaser/Proto Drive - Kiriko relationship was undercooked that it's kinda hard to believe how Chaser is so affected by it. Zero buildup to Type Formula too--not even an acknowledgement, unusual for Riku Sanjo. And they have played the "it's dangerous to use this" card on Dead Heat, too.

Kinda surprised that the victims are dead dead, though.

Next week seems to be Chaser's turning point and the midseason climax, I think.

MrJames079

Neo Member
I appreciate that they debuted Type Formula with a GIGANTIC FIRE TORNADO HOLY SHIT. Other than that, pretty nice episode

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I really hope they stopped doing the Chase shit now especially if
Kamen Rider Chase
is true.

Corgi

Banned
hard to figure out formula's gimmick, seems to just be a powerup for deadheat? Hope he can turn into a formula car similar to how Accel turned into a bike

NeonZ

I guess Formula is a combination of the various shift cars, considering the decals on its design and how it appeared after all Shift cars flew.

javadoze

Kamen Rider Drive 21

-Really love the escalated nature of this week's plot. Even most of the SCU and villains did something this week (Brain's Heartbeat Panic to be continued).

-Wow, Chase is actually coming off as... intimidating? It took awhile, but better late than never.

-Seriously, Mr. Belt!?! You can't just introduce a form by
saying "oh yeah, I never told you about this Shift Car, but we need it now!". Talk about rushed (and that's not even taking into account formula showing up just a measly 6 episodes after DeadHeat.

Aside from Formula's intro, this episode (and the last 3 or so) were a step in the right direction for the series. I hope this signals a change in how the show operates and change from an "enjoyable enough" show to a "good" one.

WarRock

Kamen Rider Drive 21

-Really love the escalated nature of this week's plot. Even most of the SCU and villains did something this week (Brain's Heartbeat Panic to be continued).

-Wow, Chase is actually coming off as... intimidating? It took awhile, but better late than never.
Actor is doing so much better now.

Wonder what Brain did to him though...

Watch Da Birdie

hard to figure out formula's gimmick, seems to just be a powerup for deadheat? Hope he can turn into a formula car similar to how Accel turned into a bike

He has the Trailer Cannon and three new Shift Cars that give him various equipment like a Spanner, iirc.

Tiu Neo

Hey guys, forgot this existed!

Actor is doing so much better now.

Wonder what Brain did to him though...

I'm betting it's something like restoring his memories/reprogramming, so it'll look like Medic's reprogramming was a failure, and that'll set the stage for
Chase's rendemption as Kamen Rider Chase, or his rendemption and death.

Watch Da Birdie

Weird decision to start off the episode like that in media res, but it was a pretty cool episode. Loved the scene with the Chief "killing" the dude, haha.

Also wtf at the handkerchief scene. 0.o

WarRock

Besides the shitty ending to the fight (way to screw up the so hyped finisher), 22 is an awesome episode.

Formula's shades are fucking hilarious, and the shift cars stickers is such a good and fitting idea.

Watch Da Birdie

I was getting deja vu moments during the handkerchief scene, now I realize Brain's reaction was pretty much the same goofy shit DOCTAA MAAKI! did whenever someone messed with his doll in OOOs.

Corgi

Banned
you can totally see the confusion of the fight choreographer for Formula. 'yeah i have no clue how to make this work at all', so they just made him dash around with cg lol

WarRock

you can totally see the confusion of the fight choreographer for Formula. 'yeah i have no clue how to make this work at all', so they just made him dash around with cg lol
That's how shit been going for awhile. Can we not do swords next season? Fuck.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Medic is just pure evil and clearly running the show here. I am not a fan of type Formula design, it's just to bulky for my liking and I prefer my riders to be slim.

Is type Formula the mid season upgrade or the final upgrade?

Anyway hopefully next episode will finally put an end to the whole chase story arc.

Too much bullying. Holy shit Medic will probably die first.

Nah, I have my bet on Heart losing a battle and just barely escape and ask Medic to heal him only for Medic to call him weak and finish him off and take over.

Watch Da Birdie

Mid-Season, compare it to Kachidoki basically.

Final form is
Type Tridoron, who can use various triple-combination of tires apparently

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Formula has a nice touch of having decals from the other cars though, for a moment I thought it could use their powers.

But yeah, a beam finisher is kinda lame.

WarRock

I don't get what Zero Three is about, but it looks cool, specially when compared to the other two. Anyway,
Gou going down in two weeks
?

Watch Da Birdie

Looks like things are really gonna pick up around Episode 25...

Episode 25 - N/A (4/12)
Shinnosuke's father, a member of the 1st Division, pays a visit that leaves an unpleasant taste in the Special Unit. Meanwhile, a Roidmude targets Hayase, Shinnosuke's former partner.

Can't believe we're actually going to see a main character's father.

Has this ever happened in Heisei? Everyone's either an orphan, or live away from their parents.

javadoze

Looks like things are really gonna pick up around Episode 25...

Episode 25 - N/A (4/12)
Shinnosuke's father, a member of the 1st Division, pays a visit that leaves an unpleasant taste in the Special Unit. Meanwhile, a Roidmude targets Hayase, Shinnosuke's former partner.

Can't believe we're actually going to see a main character's father.

Has this ever happened in Heisei? Everyone's either an orphan, or live away from their parents.

Crossing my fingers for Shinnosuke's father being a Rider alumni.

Watch Da Birdie

New scans are out:

Kamen Rider Chase looks like they just recycled W's suit, I don't like it....

Seems like Tomari's identity as Drive though is gonna be made known to the public. That's good since his secret identity makes NO SENSE really.

Watch Da Birdie

I don't care what anyone says, the Chief made me laugh out loud in this episode.

Otherwise...it was ho-hum. Sort of a repeat of the Camera Roidmude I thought, and Dead Heat is sort of a waste...Drive will probably never use it again, and if it's Mach's final upgrade, it's pretty underwhelming and lost any interest it had. I hope they improve Mach more now since I've actually found him to be a bit of a jerk recently and not as good as he was in his debut, hopefully his attitude change sticks.

Next week looks good though, so I'm looking forward to it. Hope this episode truly shakes up the status quo and isn't a trick somehow.

javadoze

I don't care what anyone says, the Chief made me laugh out loud in this episode.

Otherwise...it was ho-hum. Sort of a repeat of the Camera Roidmude I thought, and Dead Heat is sort of a waste...Drive will probably never use it again, and if it's Mach's final upgrade, it's pretty underwhelming and lost any interest it had. I hope they improve Mach more now since I've actually found him to be a bit of a jerk recently and not as good as he was in his debut, hopefully his attitude change sticks.

Next week looks good though, so I'm looking forward to it. Hope this episode truly shakes up the status quo and isn't a trick somehow.

The Victim of the Week being trapped with the chief was one of the best parts of the episode. On the topic of Mach, I'm kinda disappointed in how an overclocked DeadHeat is his upgrade (seeing as the recent toy scans aren't saying otherwise). Even if the whole "I WANT AN UPGRADE NOW" thing was just building up to
Kiriko taking the spare Mach Driver and giving it to Chase
, Gou shrugging off the whole deal at the end of the episode was still baffling, considering how Mach is still pretty inferior to Drive power-wise.

Now next week will really be interesting to see how it affects the show in the long run.

vareon

Why don't Gou use Formula? "Drive keeps evolving" but Shinnosuke's just grabbing the new toys.

(they probably won't address that as the reason is pretty mundane)

Really looking forward to next week. It's the much-needed shake up to the status quo, as well as removing one of the stupidest aspect of the show.

NeonZ

I guess it's those shift cars that won't work with mach, like Technic, Speed and Wild?

They've established that Mach can use Shift cars (since it's the "Next Generation System!"), and never said that those wouldn't work with it though, which leaves us in the current odd situation.

vareon

(crossposting TokuGAF/Drive thread)

Drive 25

Reeally best episode. The chief knowing all along was the twist we all hoped for and it's satisfying to see it unfolds. Really hoping he gets a glorious scene of brilliance hidden in the eccentricity.

Kamen Rider Chaser still looks like a downgrade from Machine Chaser, but I'm glad he didn't do an instant 180.

Watch Da Birdie

So we've been getting a new Rider for each quarter in Drive, I sort of hope there's a fourth Rider (Kiriko?) for the final quarter, although I don't know if there's another Toy Catalog for it.

I agree the whole "secret identity" plotline was really obtuse, even for Kamen Rider, and I really don't get how the police actually processed anyone caught by Drive either, and why no one believed in Roidmude it seems. It's really just something you had to ignore if you wanted to just enjoy the show, and I'm glad they fixed it. I actually wonder if this was planned to be done all along by Episode 25, or if the crew themselves realized it was a dumb plot element and got rid of it earlier than planned since usually this would be a late-game type deal.

Now that they've shown Shinnosuke's dad (who I thought was actually supposed to appear here in person?), I wonder if we're gonna have a Roidmude use his body? That seems like an obvious plot to pull, that or a Roidmude who has Krim's body. Although I still think the final boss is gonna be Dr. Banno who is behind the whole thing.

Watch Da Birdie

Shit. After last week, it seems things are really picking up---I hope it stays like this, and doesn't pull what Fourze did where the Horoscope Zodiarts ended up becoming Filler of the Week Foes.

I like how the show sort of addressed the weirdness of how the police seemed really dumb concerning the Roidmudes, and the corrupt cop element is a neat touch I didn't really even think we'd see. I sort of think despite being a huge jerk right now, Naira will probably end up becoming somewhat of a more tolerable ally to Shinnosuke down the line once he realizes what's going on, since I assume he doesn't realize there are Roidmudes running the police.

Also liked seeing Drive Dead Heat again since I thought after Formula it would be dumped basically, and Kiriko remembering her Battle Heels, even though she ended up falling into distress, was nice to see her make an effort at least.

Chaser is simple, but cool, and I'm interested in seeing how they'll balance the screentime between the three Riders. I hope they conserve Chase for only Arcs where he contributes, and don't simply put him into episodes to fill a quota only for him to job...like he did all the time when he was a Roidmude.

vareon

I feel the series moves better now that Drive is public. Putting him on a spotlight was a smart thing to do (didn't see that reason coming).

Still vastly prefer Machine Chaser's design than Rider Chaser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom