• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kamiya concerned that Nintendo isn't marketing Wonderful 101 much at all

Mlatador

Banned
Do you own a Wii U?

And these sales make you enjoy the Wii U less? Why is that? How do sales figure enhance your gaming experience? Is a game not as fun if it doesn't sell a million copies? This is baffling, how your mind operates

Yepp, I thought the same.

Anyway, I'm still waitng for my pre-order to arrive. I really shoudn't have pre-ordered from Wow-HD.co.uk

monome

It was Nintendo who paid everything. This doesn't really affect the platinum financially.

'nuff said then.

It's between PG* president and Nintendo if marketing is lacking.

I'd rather have Nintendo pay the devs than the ad agencies.

and buy the game on eshop! let's show Nintendo we care.
W101 is the staple of a game you want to have access to on a whim, and eshop cuts the retailers and will feed Nintendo's bottom line faster and hopefully a sequel or a third exclusive.

Berg

Well the results came in from Japan:

Famitsu: The Wonderful 101: 6,663
Media Create: The Wonderful 101: 5,258

Ouch, Those are retail numbers right? Wonder what kinda digital sales they had. Wasn't there some kinda pikmin + W101 digital promotion?

Linkyn

A real shame. I got the game a few days ago and am enjoying it so far, but I have to admit that it definitely isn't for everyone. But I believe that sometimes, you have to take a risk as a developer and as a gamer. Hell, if AC 1 hadn't sold somewhat admirably, we would never have gotten the far superior AC 2 and Ubisoft would not have created what is arguably their strongest IP now. It can go either way and I'm sure all the involved parties took a calculated risk when settling on the idea for this game.

Still, these initial figures don't have to mean anything. If they get comparable sales in Europe and North America and keep a somewhat steady level, the game may very well sell a few hundred thousand in its lifetime. While that still isn't much, they really just need to break even (which should be relatively easy given that this is really not a AAA game with crazy high production cost) in order for them to consider making a sequel. Also, the install base should definitely increase in the coming few months, or next year with MK and Smash at the latest. Many might want the game, but aren't going to pick it up until they get a WiiU with Wind Waker or 3D World or whatever game they consider worth buying a console over.

I really wish Platinum and Nintendo the very best on this one. I've done my part by buying the game and can only wish other people would give this very fun title a chance.

NotLiquid

At least it'll do better than MadWorld, right?

Right?!

yLttLcl.gif

Do you own a Wii U?

And these sales make you enjoy the Wii U less? Why is that? How do sales figure enhance your gaming experience? Is a game not as fun if it doesn't sell a million copies? This is baffling, how your mind operates

Day one. Last thing from Nintendo I'll ever buy on launch. Incompetent fools.

Huh? I mean if you're not intrested in what's coming out that's fine, but you're going to retire the WIIU because a game sold bad?

No, I'm ready to retire it because it turned out to be an absolute failure. I don't expect 2014 to have a good release calendar, and I don't expect 3rd parties to give a shit after this holiday season.

I'll buy the usual Nintendo games for it, but other than that the console will probably just be tucked away making space for my new PC.
I guess depending on how Ghost turns out for WiiU (if they don't butcher the Wiimote controls like in BO2) I might continue using it well into 2014.

As long as they don't cancel it before it comes out in America, I'm fine.

Sucks that topnotch games don't sell and sucks that Kamiya, Inaba and his crew don't get the recognition they deserve but it's still going to be a special game for me...I can tell.

yeah but seriously, single platform nowadays is crazy, it should have been at least WiiU, 360, PS3 and PC

You can't afford anymore to put all your work in one basket

slit

yeah but seriously, single platform nowadays is crazy, it should have been at least WiiU, 360, PS3 and PC

You can when the exclusive platform holder is the one that pays for it. Why would Nintendo fund it for other platforms?

Dyno

... You can't realistically expect Nintendo to push a game from another company like they'd push a Mario or a Zelda.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand that's why the big companies won't touch Nintendo's console. Who wants to be a second class citizen in a business deal like this?

I feel bad for Platinium but in all honesty I don't know why they didn't see this coming a mile away.

You know that Platinum needs a publisher for their games, right? You make it sound like they can just put their games on any platform they want. They go with whoever publishes/funds their projects. If they don't find a publisher the project doesn't get made (like pre-WiiU Bayonetta 2). If a platform holder happens to pick-up a project it will be exclusive, not very hard to understand.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I've just seen a Wonderful 101 advert on UK tv just now.

They better hope the U.S. sales can make up for it.

I gotta admit I am still pretty steamed about the delay here and its make me actually want the game less.

I'll still get it though.

Top Bottom