• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kaname Fujioka talks Monster Hunter World: no westernization/casualization

Because that's a design choice.
The Switch could absolutely run MHW at 720p with simpler shadows/lighting, but could we get back on topic?

Damn, I didn't know you are a expert on game development.

Lol The Switch can barely handle Breath of the Wild when there's too much water or grass.
You really think it can run Monster Hunter World...? The game is running on a next gen engine too just so you know. Even If you super-downgrade the game for it to run on the Switch, the battery is gonna last an hour at most.

I love the Switch and I love BoTW, but let's face it. It can never run games like Monster Hunter World. It's just not possible for such a small mobile hardware.
There's a reason why they didn't anounced the game for Switch, if it's even possible they would have announced it.
Stop trying to tell everyone that they are preparing for the Switch version, they are NOT. I can promise you.

oh geez

World IS 5th gen

Any future potential portable title will also be based on 5th gen

Lets say it again. This is 5th gen
I think he knows that. He is just saying Monster Hunter 5 (word by word) will exist at some point.

They are not using 5 to make it more appealing and welcoming to newcomers from the west. They already said that much. Lol.

I'm wondering though, if a Western developer had a statement like this about actively not wanting to let their games appeal to other countries audiences, would it be accepted? The wording seems funky.

"They already do!!" No I mean actually making such a strong statement about not wanting to accept "westerners".

Am I reading too much into that word... haha.

ggx2ac

I didn't know you are a expert on game development.

The Switch can barely handle Breath of the Wild when there's too much water or grass. You really think it can run Monster Hunter World...? The game is running on a next gen engine just so you know.

I love my Switch and I love BoTW, but let's face it. It can never run games like Monster Hunter World. It's just not possible for a mobile type hardware.

Hmm? MHW is running on MT Framework, not Panta Rhei.

Maxinas

The Switch can barely handle Breath of the Wild when there's too much water or grass. You really think it can run Monster Hunter World...? The game is running on a next gen engine just so you know.

I love my Switch and I love BoTW, but let's face it. It can never run games like Monster Hunter World. It's just not possible for a mobile type hardware.

It seems you aren't an expert on game development either.

Vena

MHW is running on a glorified decades old engine. MT Framework is ancient... And is already on Switch.

I think he knows that. He is just saying Monster Hunter 5 (word by word) will exist at some point.

They are not using 5 to make it more appealing and welcoming to newcomers from the west. They already said that much. Lol.

oh well i doubt that too

Why create brand confusion. If that explanation was the case they would have called World MH5 in Japan and MHW in the west

As it stands they are dropping numbers for the time being. I would expect the next switch title to also have World in the name or just be a straight port

Of course I bet people are still clinging to the 4chan rumor... gross

Toxi

Banned
I still believe they will make Monster Hunter 5.
Fujioka has confirmed that World is Monster Hunter 5. It's the next generation of Monster Hunter. Any further main Monster Hunter game is going to be building on World's framework until they start another generation.

The debate as to whether or not Switch could run Monster Hunter World is futile. Whether it can or can't, the game is being built for the ground up for three platforms already which I imagine has the team's resources stretched thin already, hence why the PC port is coming later.

Regardless of how capable the Switch is at running the game, getting it to run on the Switch would require even more effort than PC. They likely just don't have the time and resource to do that in time for the projected early 2018 launch, while also developing and optimising for three other platforms.

It's really that simple. Some of you underestimate how much time and effort has to go into porting games across multiple platforms, irrespective of how "easy" they are to port games to.

So why wasn't the game

announced for the

Nintendo Switch?

Because the game's development was started 4 years ago. Before switch even came into the picture

The XX port that they are getting in August is a rush job to allow them to cash in on its momentum and is likely why localization for the switch version is delayed (if not canned altogether)

Rumor is that a 5th gen switch game is already being worked on by the XX team if not just a port of the current game

Yes its MT framework, multiplatform and scaleable so I would not be the least bit surprised to see a late switch port down the pipe

We will just have to see how the future pans out. Its not DOOM yet for MH on the switch but god damn you guys are likely gonna have to wait

Na, theres still some 3DS DNA in this game when it comes to animations. And you also claim to be an expert when you say a port isn't possible. Not portbegging, i have a PS4 and no Switch, but MH W isn't Horizon and Switch no 3DS or Vita.

Fujioka has confirmed that World is Monster Hunter 5. It's the next generation of Monster Hunter. Any further main Monster Hunter game is going to be building on World's framework until they start another generation.

Wouldn't forbid them to call another MH game MH5.

Damn, I didn't know you are a expert on game development.

Lol The Switch can barely handle Breath of the Wild when there's too much water or grass.
You really think it can run Monster Hunter World...? The game is running on a next gen engine too just so you know. Even If you super-downgrade the game for it to run on the Switch, the battery is gonna last an hour at most.

I love the Switch and I love BoTW, but let's face it. It can never run games like Monster Hunter World. It's just not possible for such a small mobile hardware.
There's a reason why they didn't anounced the game for Switch, if it's even possible they would have announced it.
Stop trying to tell everyone that they are preparing for the Switch version, they are NOT. I can promise you.

MT Frameworks is a next generation engine?

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Wouldn't forbid them to call another MH game MH5.

It would just make the naming conventions even more confusing tbh. If they are going to go back to attaching numbers to MH titles with gen 6 it'll likely just be called MH6.

Either way, I doubt the "world" branding will go away any time soon. Talking about a hypothetical title for future product seems a bit meaningless at the moment.

aeolustl

What is the realistic sale expectation again?

4 mil or 5?

Or should Capcom expect fewer than MH4?

edit: I should mention WW sales, obviously.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
MT Frameworks is a next generation engine?
It didn't start out as one but it's pretty clear they made some pretty big improvements to it for next gen hardware. I know nothing about MH at all but I certainly know that that wasn't the same MT Framework Capcom has used in the past.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member

4 mil or 5?

4 million is reasonable, if not doable as an WW LTD number, considering I'd expect them to be supporting the title through a 2 year cycle with dlc. PC version should give a decent bump as well.

3 million is a guarantee in my opinion, as western sales should be able to accrue at least 2-2.5 million alone.

It didn't start out as one but it's pretty clear they made some pretty big improvements to it for next gen hardware. I know nothing about MH at all but I certainly know that that wasn't the same MT Framework Capcom has used in the past.
This is new, When did Capcom mention this?

Fiendcode

Half as much RAM, won't need to touch the textures? Good luck with that.
3.25GB isn't half of 5GB. And textures are streamed, no open world game holds everything in ram at once.

Likewise Switch's CPU is more competitive than you're likely giving it credit for. The big performance pitfall in Switch is GPU (doubly so in handheld mode). The guy saying the major cuts would be resolution and things like shadow maps or foliage density probably isn't far off.

mugwhump

The debate as to whether or not Switch could run Monster Hunter World is futile. Whether it can or can't, the game is being built for the ground up for three platforms already which I imagine has the team's resources stretched thin already, hence why the PC port is coming later.

Regardless of how capable the Switch is at running the game, getting it to run on the Switch would require even more effort than PC. They likely just don't have the time and resource to do that in time for the projected early 2018 launch, while also developing and optimising for three other platforms.

It's really that simple. Some of you underestimate how much time and effort has to go into porting games across multiple platforms, irrespective of how "easy" they are to port games to.
Yeah that's a pretty habeebable reason.

And Capcom would have no reason to release a hypothetical switch version at the same time. Might as well let the install base build up, and give XX switch some breathing room.

I just hope the PC version isn't super delayed. If it's 5+ months later I'm going to be terminally butthurt.

Yeah that's a pretty habeebable reason.

And Capcom would have no reason to release a hypothetical switch version at the same time. Might as well let the install base build up, and give XX switch some breathing room.

I just hope the PC version isn't super delayed. If it's 5+ months later I'm going to be terminally butthurt.

If it's 5+ months later I'm skipping it and waiting on a portable version.

Juraash

While I still have some reservations about the choices they've made with regards to world, I'm also glad they came out and said this early on. MH4U style iteration is good with me. But some of the changes being speculated on or wished for we're down right horrifying.

This, with the footage shown, gives me hope that this won't be such a radical departure.

Ridley327

4 mil or 5?

Realistic? I'd say 3-3.5 million, though not at full price.

Optimistic? 4 million would probably be considered an unqualified success by most measures.

Capcom's forecast? The next GTA.

In any event, being on just PS4 in Japan puts a much shorter ceiling on its domestic performance than in the west, so they are going to have to advertise the crap out of this.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
This is new, When did Capcom mention this?
I mean based on the lighting, foliage, effects etc it just looks like they made some substantial improvements to it. Since it was just announced they haven't really gone into technical specifics but no way it's the same MT, the last big title to use it, (not counting hd remasters) was years ago. :|

rackham

Banned
That sounds racist or at the very least like he has an air of superiority in his eastern filler padded game. Will avoid for sure now.

Delio

On the topic of DLC...something I'm just throwing out there, if Capcom were to stop doing "G" versions for MH World and just release big content updates intermittently, almost like Seasons, would that be a bad thing?

Essentially, rather than having to wait a year and a half for a retail G version, the content that would go in said version is spread out in updates that drop throughout that year and a half.

Yeah i see Seasons happening. That or a pass but I dont know has Capcom had Season passes for their recent games?

Kyoufu

I'd love post-release DLC. Why wait a year for a G expansion when they can release new content every couple/few months? They can still release all the DLC content in a G version a year later too.

A G
OTY
version!

JP_

Banned
Splitting up G ver into seasonal updates and selling together as a season pass? Sounds good to me

3.25GB isn't half of 5GB. And textures are streamed, no open world game holds everything in ram at once.

Likewise Switch's CPU is more competitive than you're likely giving it credit for. The big performance pitfall in Switch is GPU (doubly so in handheld mode). The guy saying the major cuts would be resolution and things like shadow maps or foliage density probably isn't far off.
Not sure where you're getting your numbers, but I see 3gb for Switch and 5.5gb for PS4, close to double. Even if your numbers are true, having only 65% as much ram available is still significant.

And whether or not they stream has little to do with it unless you think Switch will stream the same quality textures but 35-45% less of them at a time (assuming same ratio of textures vs other things in ram). How do you expect that to work out? Or you think they're just leaving more than a third of PS4 ram unused?? Spouting nonsense.

On the topic of DLC...something I'm just throwing out there, if Capcom were to stop doing "G" versions for MH World and just release big content updates intermittently, almost like Seasons, would that be a bad thing?

Essentially, rather than having to wait a year and a half for a retail G version, the content that would go in said version is spread out in updates that drop throughout that year and a half.

Because that worked really well for SFV.

I think Capcom just might do that!

I do think that they should give people the option to pay $20 for a G DLC instead of forcing people to pay $60 again.

Top Bottom