• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (OT 2?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashhong

how is it self centered? i honestly dont get how people say that about Kanye's music in general, when every single other rapper is the same or worse.

is Kanye self-centered and extremely egotistical in general? hell yea. but in music? i dont really see it.

disappeared said:
I still don't know what to make of MBDTF in its entirety. The album is incredible, granted, but I can't stop thinking that most of the album comes off as fairly self-centered. I mean, sure, he has songs that counter-argue his so-called "monster" ego, but many lyricists before (both in hip-hop and other genres) have written personal albums, without the number of "me's", "I's", and "my's" on most of the songs.

Perhaps I'm not seeing something GAF, help me out.

Thats the point of the album. Its the rap music of the rich and famous. Its bathes in excess and luxury.

he livin in the 21st century, doin somethin mean to it
do it better than anybody he ever seen do it

honestly i can't argue with that. dude's a champion.

Ashhong said:
how is it self centered? i honestly dont get how people say that about Kanye's music in general, when every single other rapper is the same or worse.

is Kanye self-centered and extremely egotistical in general? hell yea. but in music? i dont really see it.

Pinko Marx said:
Thats the point of the album. Its the rap music of the rich and famous. Its bathes in excess and luxury.

That's been my analysis of it, yes. Believe me, I've been a Kanye fan for years, and my thoughts on this album was that it's more of a personal conflict. I was just making sure my thoughts were on the matter were appropriate. I love this album to fucking death.

this is the most personal shit i have ever heard. blame game? u kidding me? if you been through what that song's about, you realize just how perfectly written it is.

blame space said:
this is the most personal shit i have ever heard. blame game? u kidding me? if you been through what that song's about, you realize just how perfectly written it is.

seriously, I can't just listen to one song when I fire it up. It usually winds up being every track, start to finish.

Ephemeris

[Q] Can we get much higher?

blame space said:
Truth

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
blame space said:
Maybe not the most personal shit ever, but damn it's hard NOT to see the associations every song has with Kanye and his life. In every single song.

Also major cosign on your point about Blame Game. That shit is near prophetic.

HiResDes

Blame Game and Devin in a New Dress affect me on such an emotional level, makes me think about some of the best and worst moments in my life.

enzo_gt said:
Maybe not the most personal shit ever, but damn it's hard NOT to see the associations every song has with Kanye and his life. In every single song.

Also major cosign on your point about Blame Game. That shit is near prophetic.
concur.

PBY

Banned
you fuckers have to stop bumping this thread til the Monster video comes out- every time I see a new post I get pumped cuz I'm suuuure that it means the video is out... and every time I leave disappointed :/

Nert

I'm going to give this album some more time (I've only listened through it all twice), but the standouts for me so far are Power and Monster. I'm really impressed by Nicki Minaj's verse on Monster, and I'm kind of surprised to see how controversial it is (I haven't heard anything else by her before this, so I have no idea what the rest of her work is like). She went batshit insane in all of the right ways.

I don't see myself revisiting this album as much as College Dropout and Late Registration, but it is definitely energetic and personal.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
peterb0y said:
you fuckers have to stop bumping this thread til the Monster video comes out- every time I see a new post I get pumped cuz I'm suuuure that it means the video is out... and every time I leave disappointed :/
I get excited thinking there's some news on the return of G.O.O.D. Fridays :( It's nearly the end of the year :(

PBY

Banned
enzo_gt said:
I get excited thinking there's some news on the return of G.O.O.D. Fridays :( It's nearly the end of the year :(
I've given up hope for new Kanye tracks til the album rerelease

Ashhong

i think i mis-interpreted self-centered with egotistical, like in a flashy sense. self-centered has a negative connotation in my opinion, similar to selfish. i see this as just personal, and theres nothing wrong with that. Kanye is raps Taylor Swift :lol

DaMan121

Ken Masters said:
Even the biggest kanye stans realize his last 3 albums have been a self centered pity party , but its still good music

I don't think it's entirely a 'pitty-party', he is conflicted and his life is complicated that's for sure, but who's life isn't - and thats why people love him even when he does stupid shit. Obviously his life is multiplied to a ridiculous degree, but with the exception of 808s, I think his albums just reflect his ups and downs.

Tokubetsu

Came across this really cool "Monster" fan art:
Jt1Vd.jpg

The artist's flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/artboytate/

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ashhong said:
i think i mis-interpreted self-centered with egotistical, like in a flashy sense. self-centered has a negative connotation in my opinion, similar to selfish. i see this as just personal, and theres nothing wrong with that. Kanye is raps Taylor Swift :lol
Exactly my views. Personal =/= Self Centred. By that definition, most of rap is self centred.

And that monster artwork is pretty cool. I heard The Game call himself the Louis Vuitton Don in a song recently and asked myself.. wait what? :lol

HiResDes

Ken Masters said:
Even the biggest kanye stans realize his last 3 albums have been a self centered pity party , but its still good music
More self-reflective than anything, he's not really asking for anyone's pity in his music...Say what you will about this personal life. Otherwise I don't think he'd acknowledge that he's done devilish things, is a monster, and is a jerk. If you want to hear something that is actually a self-centered pity party go pick up a Taylor Swift album.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Beat is alright, verses are kind of crap. But that female singer is the business.

EDIT: It's Teyana Taylor. Link also links to Kanye originally saying he'll drop songs every week until Christmas, which is next week. End of G.O.O.D. Fridays cometh (or has already happened).

preview of Camron's verse:

killa cam christmas time, dipset
get Mrs. Clause's draws in my ride, keep them whips wet
I stick a 4-4 in your ass, no homo
Jewish lawyer work the case for free, pro-shlomo
pink clothes look like Santa Clause's pee pee
no homo, I jack mics like hee hee
RIP, me and you girl? L-G-B-
N-A-F, word to I-C-E-T

soul creator said:

N-A-F, word to I-C-E-T
:lol :lol :lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
soul creator said:

N-A-F, word to I-C-E-T
You should be inducted as an honorary member of Dipset. I lol'd out loud once you started spelling shit out. :lol Obligatory, posting this again.

soul creator said:

N-A-F, word to I-C-E-T
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
enzo_gt said:
Now that you've pointed that out..

:(

The full version has tags and is out, but...this not having Juelz on here is sad. Vado is nice, but Juelz is OG Dipset. He should have had the spot.

The full version is dope as hell.

Edit: For the life of me though, I can't figure out why you have so many people that are not from Harlem on here. I hear christmas in harlem, I'm thinking "Diddy ft/ Diplomats + Vado", not Va, Chitown, D-town, and Atl....

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Vado isn't even on that. I listened and was like, where the hell is Vado? And see he's not even listed anymore. Weird.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
enzo_gt said:
Vado isn't even on that. I listened and was like, where the hell is Vado? And see he's not even listed anymore. Weird.

I was just thinking about that too. :lol Lame as hell. I like the song, but the verses were just...regular. Why was Big Sean on this....

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Oldschoolgamer said:
For the life of me though, I can't figure out why you have so many people that are not from Harlem on here. I hear christmas in harlem, I'm thinking "Diddy ft/ Diplomats + Vado", not Va, Chitown, D-town, and Atl....
L7Bmg.jpg

:p

Big Sean has been on all the songs, his voice mixes almost too well with Pusha's. Pusha has the only better than average verse on that song IMO.

HiResDes

enzo_gt said:
L7Bmg.jpg

:p

Big Sean has been on all the songs, his voice mixes almost too well with Pusha's. Pusha has the only better than average verse on that song IMO.
OSG is right my friend...No Vado...No Juelz...Big Sean & Pusha T, this is not Christmas in Harlem at all.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
peterb0y said:
why we still got no monster video?

:(
Kanye's probably adding Drake and Dizzee Rascal to Christmas in Harlem or something.

Also, the All of the Lights video is set to be shot Monday. I wonder what the hold up is.

In a side note, whoever first implemented the static-y, shitty quality, or even anything close to explosion tags onto any song should die a slow, painful death. Jesus, its beyond annoying when Flex or Westwood do it.

Hootie

soul creator said:

N-A-F, word to I-C-E-T

M2Ul4.gif