• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Karigurashi no Arrietty (The Borrowers) |OT| Ghibli's newest (non-Miyazaki)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezalc

Munin said:
I can see how someone who likes Ghibli in general might not like Ponyo as much, but to flat out hate it...eh..

The movie gets ruined for me just because Ponyo is a shitty protagonist. The animation is great, the sound is great, everything is pretty good. Except Ponyo herself. The story I let it slide since it's supposed to be geared more towards children. But that bitch ass fish? Fuck no.

Branduil

Ezalc said:
Good don't watch it. I love all the more well known Ghibli films but fuck I hate Ponyo with a passion. If I was younger and saw this film I think I would like it more. Maybe it was the dub that ruined it but I just flat out hated the movie mostly due to how much of a little bitch Ponyo is. Fuck that fish. She's an asshole.
What?

ZoddGutts

While I liked this movie, felt that it should have been a bit longer and added some more character development between the boy and the little girl. Overall it was good better than Ghibli's last 4 movies. Arriety>Ponyo>>Cat Returns>>>Howl>>>Earthsea

Ultima_5

ZoddGutts said:
While I liked this movie, felt that it should have been a bit longer and added some more character development between the boy and the little girl. Overall it was good better than Ghibli's last 4 movies. Arriety>Ponyo>>Cat Returns>>>Howl>>>Earthsea

Am I the only one who couldn't stand the cat returns? I completely forgot about it until this post... It just didn't feel like ghibli to me...

Though I personally LOVED everything about ponyo. different strokes different folks i suppose

Ultima_5

ZoddGutts said:
Yeah Cat Returns felt like a movie that even Gonzo could do. It was pretty average. Worth seeing only once though.
It didn't help that my friend told me about it by referring to it as the sequel to whisper of the heart... Which is easily my favorite ghibli.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
How the hell am I only hearing about this now!?

This would have ruled my childhood if it came out 20 years ago. I must see.

Ultima_5

Ezalc said:
Good don't watch it. I love all the more well known Ghibli films but fuck I hate Ponyo with a passion. If I was younger and saw this film I think I would like it more. Maybe it was the dub that ruined it but I just flat out hated the movie mostly due to how much of a little bitch Ponyo is. Fuck that fish. She's an asshole.

The Borrowers on the other hand was excellent. I also think it's up there with some of the better Ghibli movies. Some of the scenes were very powerful especially one that another poster talked about here in the thread. I was kind of disappointed in the ending though, but still it's a wonderful film.

This. I wasn't a big fan of the ending.
ENDING SPOILER
I really wanted the family to move into the doll house... =( This movie made me sort of sad.

Also, I think this was an excellent movie considering it being done by such a young director. I expect some great things from him in the future.

Ultima_5 said:
ENDING SPOILER
I really wanted the family to move into the doll house... =( This movie made me sort of sad.

Also, I think this was an excellent movie considering it being done by such a young director. I expect some great things from him in the future.

I actually expected that to happen, with the ending, so it's kinda nice it didn't happen, I think the movie as a whole isn't at all predictable and I like that about it

Ultima_5 said:
ENDING SPOILER

Just finished watching The Borrowers, and I thought this was going to be the ending too...and I'm certainly glad it wasn't the actual ending. I loved the melancholy ending, and it affected me more than the typical "Yay, we're living a dollhouse now and everything is happy!" I can't imagine a better ending than the one that was presented to us.

The best film from Ghibli since Spirited Away. I'm really glad a new stellar director was found before Miyazaki left the studio.

I'll see this again when it comes out in February.

Ezalc

Attackthebase said:
Just finished watching The Borrowers, and I thought this was going to be the ending too...and I'm certainly glad it wasn't the actual ending. I loved the melancholy ending, and it affected me more than the typical "Yay, we're living a dollhouse now and everything is happy!" I can't imagine a better ending than the one that was presented to us.

The best film from Ghibli since Spirited Away. I'm really glad a new stellar director was found before Miyazaki left the studio.

I'll see this again when it comes out in February.

This is pretty much how I felt after having watched the movie and thinking a bit more about the ending. I was a bit disappointed at first but then it makes sense and I'm glad they didn't go with the route that I like some of you, originally expected.

BadWolf

Wasn't expecting much but man what a nice movie, made me feel all good inside.

The soundtrack, animation ,designs, story, characters, everything was fantastic and reminded me more of the older Ghibili works (that I love more than the recent ones).

Thought the length was just right as well, long enough to leave you wanting more yet not overstaying its welcome. The ending too was great, sad and happy at the same time.

I see myself returning to this one often, A+.

Gintamen

Seen it yesterday too. Very good movie, gorgeous backgrounds, Ghibli is truly a fan of the untouched nature. Had just enough characters, even if I would have liked to see a bit more interaction with Shou's grandma or some adventure outside the house as in the past movies.

The theme was intergrated nice too and complemented both main characters in the end.

Jex

Easily the best thing to come out of Ghibli in a decade.
/XX/ said:
As for mentioning a particular scene of the movie, I'd like to say that the scene where a inmmobile Shō directly sees Arrietty as she helps her father to take out that tissue, and then Shō speaks to her it is, for me, amazing. How Arrietty tries to act calmly but knows she ruined the 'borrowing' outing and seems scared, shaking nerviously, reacts hesitant and almost crying commences to leave, and at the same time she hears Shō talking softly but we don't see his full face expression and only his lips moving fluently, emphasizing his strangeness from the perspective of Arrietty, the distance between them, but he keeps talking friendly as he don't wants to bother her and acts intrigued... it is visually engaging and very explicative, but so contradictory its beautiful, very beautiful for me.
That whole scene, and especially the climax of it, were easily the best parts of the movie because the execution was so masterful.

/XX/

Jexhius said:
That whole scene, and especially the climax of it, were easily the best parts of the movie because the execution was so masterful.
Damn right! Now I wonder when we could see another project directed by Mr. Yonebayashi, as he is supposedly working already for Mr. Miyazaki on his next personal film. Also, with (probably) Mr. Takahata's adaptation of The Tale of Princess Kaguya (かぐや姫の物語) coming in the near future, there wouldn't be opportunities for him, on his own, soon (and this assuming he continues with Studio Ghibli after all of this).

Blader

/XX/ said:
Damn right! Now I wonder when we could see another project directed by Mr. Yonebayashi, as he is supposedly working already for Mr. Miyazaki on his next personal film. Also, with (probably) Mr. Takahata's adaptation of The Tale of Princess Kaguya (かぐや姫の物語) coming in the near future, there wouldn't be opportunities for him, on his own, soon (and this assuming he continues with Studio Ghibli after all of this).

Two questions:

1) Do you mean Yonebayshi is working on Miyazaki's next film, or that he's directing another film that Miyazaki is working on (like Arrietty)?

2) Is Takahata not doing his Tale of the Bamboo Cutter movie anymore?

/XX/

Blader5489 said:
1) Do you mean Yonebayshi is working on Miyazaki's next film, or that he's directing another film that Miyazaki is working on (like Arrietty)?

2) Is Takahata not doing his Tale of the Bamboo Cutter movie anymore?
There is little information right now, so I don't know the exact role Mr. Yonebayashi will have, could be from Key Animator to Animation Director or Unit Director seeing what we know right now, but it is nearly sure that Mr. Miyazaki will personally direct (or will make a tight supervision of the project in general) in the next film he is involved with. As for The Tale of Princess Kaguya (かぐや姫の物語), it is another name for traditional The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter (竹取翁の物語), but as I've seen that Toshio Suzuki has named it the other way various times, also emphasizing Princess Kaguya character in the unfinished storyboards and such, I thought that maybe they'll definitely call the film like that.

Jex

Also, speaking of the scene I mentioned earlier, one of the features which really sold the mood was the excellent sound design. Frankly the sound design across the movie was excellent, even if it did largely involve taking ordinary household noises and distorting/magnifying them in an impressive manner.

Vard

Wow, this isn't coming out in the US until February? A year and a half after the Japanese release is a really long time to wait.

Takao said:
Blame Winnie the Pooh.

Winnie the Pooh is a wonderful film. I still recommend everyone who wants to relieve their childhood to see it. It's not as mystical as The Borrowers. However, you'll have a hard time not having a stupid grin on your face after watching Pooh bear and his crew being super silly.

Qwomo

What's the deal with the dub on this, by the way? It has a UK dub already, but is it getting re-dubbed with American voice actors later? Or are they sticking with the UK dub and just holding off on releasing it stateside? If the former, has this always been the case?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Qwomo said:
What's the deal with the dub on this, by the way? It has a UK dub already, but is it getting re-dubbed with American voice actors later? Or are they sticking with the UK dub and just holding off on releasing it stateside? If the former, has this always been the case?

Disney is doing their own American dub, which was announced, I believe, quite some time before the UK dub. I'm not sure if the UK was always going to get their own dub, however.

Hi, just saw the movie for myself (UK English version). Personally I loved it. I'm a huge Studio Ghibli fan, I've seen and loved all of their movies (Tales from Earthsea less so, but it was still enjoyable. WTF @ all the Ponyo hate here!?), I've even been to the Ghibli Museum in Japan (and I have the Ponyo/Totoro plushies to prove it!) and I thought this one was very refreshing. It has a very different feel than most of their other movies (It's slow and understated, even by Ghibli standards!) and has more of a focus on character and setting exposition than plot development.

Actually, the film is very light in terms of plot (with a few plot holes and an annoyingly abrupt ending that fails to answer obvious questions), but I found it to be quite refreshing.

/XX/ said:
Such a lovely, lovely film! I hope for another Mr. Yonebayashi project, on his own, to see how he stands by himself, without working in a Hayao Miyazaki's idea, and then experience what he is capable of.

Some thoughts derived from my first viewing of the movie; for much that we try to enclosure a specific timeline or instance and put it on hold, freeze it, unrelated there to any other, it is always completely useless, because life goes on unstoppable, and a story never ends as is presented.

We only see the fraction of an instant in which Arrietty, Shō and the rest of characters interact for a non-decisive moment. The irresoluteness of this, like we are witnessing something inevitable as the family of Borrowers finally move from Ms. Maki's house in search of another place to live in. This movie seems to me like a fragile peace, a brief moment in their lives we see here, no roots are permanent, memories that fade is what all this leaves, pretty melancholic in general, but all the characters act with such a integrity under this circumstances that eventually come as unnatural for me, maybe this is habitual in certain movies produced by the studio, especially in their adventure-genre films, but I don't find it fitting here in the given setting.

For the technical merits, I think that those detailed backgrounds and scenery, those carefully textured and silky near backgrounds complemented by that mildly colorful and sharp scenery are simply magnificent for me. The animation is amazingly clever and with energy when it needs to be. The use of music during scenes and particularly transitions is very appropriated and creates a luring ambiance.

Yep, I pretty much agree entirely with this.

/XX/ said:
That is what I was talking about! The film doesn't revolve around the outcome of specific situations, like Shō's health problems for example, but only give them as the background to understand the feelings of the characters, like the insensibility that Shō, possibly caused by his frustration in the face of a possible death in that future operation, demonstrates in the scene you mentioned.

As for mentioning a particular scene of the movie, I'd like to say that the scene where a inmmobile Shō directly sees Arrietty as she helps her father to take out that tissue, and then Shō speaks to her it is, for me, amazing. How Arrietty tries to act calmly but knows she ruined the 'borrowing' outing and seems scared, shaking nerviously, reacts hesitant and almost crying commences to leave, and at the same time she hears Shō talking softly but we don't see his full face expression and only his lips moving fluently, emphasizing his strangeness from the perspective of Arrietty, the distance between them, but he keeps talking friendly as he don't wants to bother her and acts intrigued... it is visually engaging and very explicative, but so contradictory its beautiful, very beautiful for me.

I hope I have explained myself right!

Yeah I really loved that scene as well. It's at that moment you really appreciate the lengthy exposition of the movie.

There's one scene though that really threw me for a loop! The scene where Sho talks about
the extinction of the Borrower race
actually felt a bit tacked on to me. Felt like they were trying to force
an anti species extinction/anti poaching agenda. Doesn't help that a 15 min odd promo for the WWF just happened to get shown right before the movie!
Thankfully it wasn't pushed too hard and the subject ended quickly
Sho really comes across as a jerk! He sees Arriety for the first time and the first thing he does is brag about the rapid Human population expansion and the extinction of her race! It's a wonder she doesn't just run off crying immediately!

As for the ending, I'm kinda split
I liked how it didn't follow the original story and give us the obvious ending, but at the same time I feel that it ended kind of abruptly. Does feel like it could do with a bit more that hints at what happened to Sho at least

As for the dub itself, I was very happy with how it turned out. There were a few scenes that felt a bit awkward and Arriety's dad came across as a bit too cold I thought, but otherwise I thought it was very good.

I wouldn't say it's my favourite of the Ghibli movies (That title is still tied between Grave of the Fireflies, Ponyo and Princess Mononoke depending on what mood I'm in), but it's definitely a bright sign for their future.

RatskyWatsky said:
Disney is doing their own American dub, which was announced, I believe, quite some time before the UK dub. I'm not sure if the UK was always going to get their own dub, however.

Edit: Wait a sec, Disney are doing their own dub?! That's a first! (normally the US and the UK share the same dub) I wonder how it'll compare to the UK version... (Disney weren't mentioned at all in the credits, so I'm assuming that they took no part in the British version)

Desmond

Disney have done the dubs for past ghibli films.

I've seen ads on Irish TV but my local cinema ain't showing it to my knowledge

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Nuclear Muffin said:
Wait a sec, Disney are doing their own dub?! That's a first! (normally the US and the UK share the same dub) I wonder how it'll compare to the UK version... (Disney weren't mentioned at all in the credits, so I'm assuming that they took no part in the British version)

Yes, Disney has actually done dubs for all of the Ghibli films released in America. Even the films that already had english dubs from other studios (such as the ones from Streamline) were re dubbed once Disney struck up the deal with Ghibli. Totoro and Kiki, for instance. I'm not sure if the Ghibli films released in the UK have the Disney dubs, or their own, like with Arrietty. Wikipedia doesn't mention any other english dub for Ponyo, aside from the Disney one, so I'm guessing that the UK getting their own dub is a new thing. Although, I'm far from an expert on this subject.

harSon

Banned
It was alright. It felt ridiculously short and less epic than Ghibli's last few films, definitely my least favorite of their recent outings. If I had to rank their last few films it'd be: Spirited Away>Ponyo>Howl's Moving Castle>Arrietty. Haven't seen The Cat Returns..

Blader

Nuclear Muffin said:
I wouldn't say it's my favourite of the Ghibli movies (That title is still tied between Grave of the Fireflies, Ponyo and Princess Mononoke depending on what mood I'm in), but it's definitely a bright sign for their future.

I agree, especially since the last Ghibli film I actually liked came out a decade ago. And it sounds like Poppy Hill may be another hit.

If I had to rank the studio's output, it'd look something like:

Grave of the Fireflies
My Neighbor Totoro
Whisper of the Heart
Nausicaa
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Castle in the Sky
Arrietty
Kiki's Delivery Service
Only Yesterday
The Cat Returns
(drop off here)
Porco Rosso
Ocean Waves
(bigger drop here)
Howl's Moving Castle
Ponyo
(couldn't finish)
Pom Poko, Yamadas, Earthsea

wolfgare

Blader5489 said:
If I had to rank the studio's output, it'd look something like:

I mostly agree with your list, but for me Porco Rosso and Pom Poko would be higher up above the drop off and the Cat Returns would be lower.

The blurays need to be released faster though.

Ultima_5

Branduil said:
Without a doubt.
I agree. Howl's story was extremely hard to follow... Plus the ending was pretty sudden... Seemed rather rushed. Ponyo on the other hand was incredible. It's obviously aimed at a much younger audience which would explain most of the hate...

Duderz

Banned
Ponyo was probably one of the most boring movies I've ever seen. I love pretty much all Ghibli movies, and showed it to many friends who are the same, and all were bored stiff by the film.

It had the exact opposite problem of Howl's: Too little story in too much time. It shouldn't have been any longer than 60 minutes.

wolfgare

Not sure where this should go, but the next two JP blu releases slated for November 16th:
Howls-Moving-Castle.jpg

TalesFromEarthsea.jpg

And then a rerelease of Ponyo in the similar boxart style:
Ponyo.jpg

Desmond

wolfgare said:
Not sure where this should go, but the next two JP blu releases slated for November 16th:
Howls-Moving-Castle.jpg

TalesFromEarthsea.jpg

And then a rerelease of Ponyo in the similar boxart style:
Ponyo.jpg
On a similar note, Optimum will be releasing Whisper of the Heart and Arriety in UK/Ireland on bluray before Christmas.

Title change for the U.S. release: The Secret World of arrietty.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=arrietty.htm

I saw the film. It was ok, but I don't think it was great. Not sure if I'll buy it when it comes out. Part of me wants to just to own it on Blu, but then part of me thinks, I'll watch it once more and that's it.

I liked it better than Ponyo though. The beginning where they "borrow," was awesome.

Shirokun

I just saw this about a week ago. I thought it was really good, although I think a little more character development would have been nice. The two things I was really impressed with was the lack of talking animals, which I had a feeling there would be, and the ability of the animators to make everyday things still seem massive and imposing. The way they portrayed scale in this film was really incredible IMO.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Annoying Old Party Man said:
Didn't like it so much to be honest. I really want Miyazaki and Takahata to get on with their own projects again. What is the second one working on?

Takahata? He's working on the Tale of the Bamboo Cutter. He recently said that it's about two years away. :/

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Really enjoyed the atmosphere, the animation and personality really shone through better than most animations recently. The way the old lady was so malicious and evil without being a typical evil villain was sublime. She was just being a naive old lady yet came across as super mean. Sense of scale and switching scales was handled brilliantly.

The bit where the boy talks about
how she's doomed for extinction was weird, but my interpretation was that he was reflecting his own sense of impending death and hopelessness onto her in the hope she would share his feelings and they could somehow find comfort in each other. It's a childish and selfish thing that people do but he got over it.

The ending itself was fine, I was a bit surprised at how sudden it was though. Like I expected another stage to happen before the end. I feel like I only watched the introduction and then it was over so that was frustrating. Not gonna try and dress it up as superb filmmaking and storytelling that I just don't get, I think it's just an actual flaw in the film.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118042372?refCatId=13

"GKids has struck a deal with Studio Ghibli to handle North American theatrical and non-theatrical distribution for 13 of the studio's animated titles. Disney will retain homevid rights."

"GKids is planning limited releases of select Ghibli pics, some of which have never before seen U.S. theatrical distribution, beginning in late 2012."

:O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom