• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major Drunken League SNES Baseball

jmuaRfH.jpg

Who doesn't remember this classic? If you grew up in the 90s in the States and were a fan of baseball, there's no way you didn't sink hours into this game. Maybe you spent night after night completing the single-player season, or invited friends and neighbors over to play competitively. One thing is for sure though: the game still holds up.

And what is the difference now, compared to your childhood? It's not that there are newer, better, more complete baseball games out there. It's that you can add alcohol to the mix. And with that, I present to you, the rules to the greatest drinking game out there.

Just remember!!! No pussy sips

tumblr_lovsivoDfS1r0sut0o1_r1_400.gif

We encourage our players to play a full game of good ol' american 16-bit baseball and to end up loaded by the time the 9 innings are over. Stick to beer for the game to be playable and enjoyable.

Play a few practice innings with or without alcohol, to get used to the game mechanics and rules of the drinking game. After 10-15 minutes the rules will be second nature, they are as basic as it gets. Let's get started with PITCHING and BATTING.

ndLLNsG.jpg

Breaking_bat.0.gif

There are 3 different animations when a batter is out due to a STRIKEOUT

If the batter sighs and puts his head down quietly – Batter drinks 1
If the batter yells OH COME ON in outrage – Batter drinks 2
If the batter breaks the bat on his leg – Batter drinks 3
If the pitcher beans the player and causes him to take a base – Pitcher drinks 5

hR16yiG.jpg

tumblr_n78z6qxLbe1skasmxo2_r1_500.gif

Single – Opponent drinks 1
Double – Opponent drinks 2
Triple – Opponent drinks 3
Run – Opponent drinks 3
Homerun – Opponent drinks 5
Grand Slam – Opponent drinks 10

Seems pretty simple so far, right? This is where the game starts getting a bit more tricky and competitive. Here are the rules for gameplay:

OUT – Offensive player drinks 1
Double Play – Offensive player drinks 4
Triple Play – Offensive players drinks 9
Dive/Jump Out – If the outfielder/infielder dives or jumps to catch the ball and it’s an OUT – Offensive player drinks additional gulp
HEE HAW – If the commentator yells out “He’s out”– Offensive player drinks an additional gulp
Stolen Base – If offensive player steals 1 base – Defensive player drinks 1 drink per base
SAFE – If the defensive player throws the ball to a base and the commentator says SAFE – Defensive player drinks 1
FOUL BALL – If a foul ball is swung, depending on which side of the field it goes to – the person sitting on left/right side accordingly takes 1 drink
CATCH BALL – If a foul ball is hit, but the baseball goes towards the screen – the player who doesn’t “catch” the ball, and has their hand farther from the screen drinks 1

Now with these rules, you'll see just how often you drink, how each point matters, and you'll get as competitive as you can get with a drinking/video game. Finally, a few final rules to ensure a fair experience.

If the player presses pause and the commentator yells TIME – Player drinks 3 - Note: This means you can only take breaks at the end of an inning, otherwise you sacrifice 3 drinks.
If the pitcher throws the ball while the batter is drinking alcohol or otherwise not ready – Pitcher drinks 3 if strike, 5 if out
If the player disrupts the other player, by manhandling him/her or touching his/her controller – Offender drinks 5
If the player catches the other player looking at his/her controller while pitching – Peeping tom drinks 3

GAME OVER – The loser of the game must drink 10, plus the difference of the score with the other player.

And that's it... Hopefully you have a copy of this game to try this out with a friend, sibling, roommate, etc. Shout out to the other Ken Griffey SNES game, Winning Run. The gameplay and graphics might be better, but ultimately the arcade-like feel of this game, and the music, mark it as a better experience for a drinking game.

Play ball.

This took me an hour so I hope it gets some replies lol

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I'm totally going to try this in the next day or two. This game was my favorite sports game on the snes.

I'll be doing rum and Coke though. I'm going to be dead by the 4th inning.

Kammie

Have played this drinking game with OP--it's been a tradition for years. I've never been as drunk in my life as when I play Ken Griffey. It's great!

carlos

I remember typing in the real names of every player (700 or so) over many hours...your move, MLBPA

And anyone who tries this drinking game will likely have alcohol poisoning by the 7th inning stretch, lol

If I recall correctly did this game let you create your own team and name them as well as design your jerseys? I think it was one of the first games that did this.

Pejo

Gold Member
I really like the rules you set up for this, I don't have any friends locally anymore that will do this though.

Still only the second best drinking game to Bushido Blade.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Just in case people didn't know.. MLB the Show 17 is going retro a bit this year. This includes a "classic" mode which is very similar to this game.
Cyxk2jRUkAAqAz3.jpg

could revisit this premise in the new game come end of March.

Additionally, Ken Griffey Jr. is this upcoming year's cover star. They are including some classic stadiums/parks such as Shea and Yankee Stadiums as well as others.

Game was awesome. Once everyone knew how to field you got some incredibly fun games out of it. We also used to play 4's with 2 on offense than switch on defense.

Setzer

I absolutely loved this game. It replaced World Class Baseball(TG-16) as my favorite console baseball game back in the mid 90's. I still have the Griffey Jr. baseball card that came with it. I still load it up every now and then on my PSP Go.

Setzer

Just in case people didn't know.. MLB the Show 17 is going retro a bit this year. This includes a "classic" mode which is very similar to this game.

could revisit this premise in the new game come end of March.

Additionally, Ken Griffey Jr. is this upcoming year's cover star. They are including some classic stadiums/parks such as Shea and Yankee Stadiums as well as others.

Awesome! Had no idea they were doing this. I'll definitely be getting a copy of this next year.

Chitown B

best game. I renamed all the players to their real names, based on baseball card stats.

I lent it to a friend and somehow the save got corrupted. I renamed them all again.

Ron Mexico

And Madden '92, NHL '95, Fight Night, Punch-out, Mario Soccer and Golf, NFL Blitz, Daytona USA, No Mercy, Super Dodgeball, NBA Jam...

How do we get this far without mentioning NHL '94? Tecmo Superbowl?

Also, I'd still take Baseball Stars over Griffey any day of the week.

This is easily my most played videogame ever. I absolutely adore it and hope the The Show 17 retro mode is something similar.

Loved how the teams were themed due to licensing issues. So, the Detroit Tigers were all Motown musicians, the Royals were Presidents, etc.

Myself and my friends (I brought this to college with me) probably attempted 50+ 162 game seasons in my lifetime and everytime the save would erase itself at most halfway through a season. So yeah, we drank a bunch and played super intense games of this which were obviously the best years of my life.

Literally months of my life I have probably been listening to this song, https://youtu.be/GtmybPD0_Gw. Not mad about it all, probably the best game soundtrack ever.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Still get the music stuck in my head on occasion. Loved the game.

Newboi

Man, I completely forgot about this game. I never really got to sit down and play it though I heard it was really fun.

When it comes to 16-bit era sports games though, my tops will always be a toss up between NBA Jam and Madden 94.

People who are naming 3D era sports games without putting the original Tony Hawk Pro Skater, Virtua Tennis 1 on Dreamcast, or NFL2k5 (Xbox) disappointment me.

Lgndryhr

Brings back so many memories. I remember playing this a lot on my brother's SNES and playing the first N64 release of Ken Griffey Jr as well as All Star Baseball '99 on the N64. Is MLB the Show any good?

RBH

It also blows my mind that Rare developed Ken Griffey Jr's Winning Run.

Completely forgot about that.

Top Bottom