• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Key Bridge Collapse in Baltimore

The ship lost power twice. No power = no rudder, so basically the ship was drifting towards the pylon.

It's too early to speculate and assign blame. That being said, it's surprising that there are no barriers in place surrounding the pylons of the bridge. They would've at least helped absorb some of the impact.
It didn´t look like it drifted, it was a hard turn to the right towards the pylon, and then in the final seconds they turned left to try to avoid it but it wasn´t enough.

So my theory is the pilot made a mistake, gave a wrong order that made the ship turn hard right when they should have been turning left, and then they couldn´t correct in time to avoid the pylon

It didn´t look like it drifted, it was a hard turn to the right towards the pylon, and then in the final seconds they turned left to try to avoid it but it wasn´t enough.

So my theory is the pilot made a mistake, gave a wrong order that made the ship turn hard right when they should have been turning left, and then they couldn´t correct in time to avoid the pylon
you should watch the videos i linked above.

you should watch the videos i linked above.
The video says they tried going full backwards and that sent the ship to the right. It´s not too disimilar to my belief that they made a mistake that made the ship turn right.

The engines failed, but that wasn´t the only thing that failed in this situation. That´s why we need a full investigation by an independent body, which will not happen because Biden will make american taxpayers pay for the bridge

Thaedolus

Gold Member
My feeling is the harbour pilots fucked up. The government is going to pay for the bridge to avoid an independent investigation, so they probably are guilty in some way. I would bet they chose the pilots because they met the diversity criteria instead of by merit. And that's why we don't know who the harbour pilots are.
Sounds like you don’t know how things work if you think a) the government is going to foot the bill (they’ll float it to get the job done ASAP but the shipping company/their insurance will get the invoice) and b) there won’t be thorough investigations by all interested parties.

It’s hardly been a couple days and the amount of conspiracy bullshit people are peddling to fit this into their culture war paradigm is just mind boggling. Go outside.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
My feeling is the harbour pilots fucked up. The government is going to pay for the bridge to avoid an independent investigation, so they probably are guilty in some way. I would bet they chose the pilots because they met the diversity criteria instead of by merit. And that's why we don't know who the harbour pilots are.

Why do you think it's "diversity hires"? So "diverse" employees can't do the job? They were hired but because they're non-white, then they're automatically unqualified? You know you have to have training, certification, etc to captain a ship like that? You don't pass certification, you can't pilot. You don't have certification, you can't get hired.

I don't understand this thinking...

Why do you think it's "diversity hires"? So "diverse" employees can't do the job? They were hired but because they're non-white, then they're automatically unqualified? You know you have to have training, certification, etc to captain a ship like that? You don't pass certification, you can't pilot. You don't have certification, you can't get hired.

I don't understand this thinking...
Race doesn't matter unless you use it as the deciding factor to choose who you hire. If you hire the white guy because he is white instead of the black guy who had higher scores, you are hiring a less qualified person.

Every time you hire somebody for reasons other than merit, you are making your workforce worse.

Sounds like you don’t know how things work if you think a) the government is going to foot the bill (they’ll float it to get the job done ASAP but the shipping company/their insurance will get the invoice) and b) there won’t be thorough investigations by all interested parties.

It’s hardly been a couple days and the amount of conspiracy bullshit people are peddling to fit this into their culture war paradigm is just mind boggling. Go outside.
Hope you are right

Wildebeest

I'm sure the Russian social media accounts have switched to this after focussing on insanely boring and irrelevant conspiracy theories about the royal family.

BlackTron

Harbor pilots? How does this work? So when the ship approaches harbor, a helicopter comes out and swaps the pilots of a ship from Singapore with new pilots so they can handle local maneuvering, and those pilots are diversity hires?

The video says they tried going full backwards and that sent the ship to the right. It´s not too disimilar to my belief that they made a mistake that made the ship turn right.

The engines failed, but that wasn´t the only thing that failed in this situation. That´s why we need a full investigation by an independent body, which will not happen because Biden will make american taxpayers pay for the bridge
Habour pilots are just guides. They do not control the ship. The captain still gives the order and has authority of the ship. The captain can ignore the pilot's directions if they would risk the safety of the ship. Insisting they are to blame is just such an ignorant take.

The ship had lost power twice. It cannot turn or stop. It's essentially drifting by the current. This is like driving on a sheet of ice without any traction. You can't turn or brake and just sliding by momentum.

Habour pilots are just guides. They do not control the ship. The captain still gives the order and has authority of the ship. The captain can ignore the pilot's directions if they would risk the safety of the ship. Insisting they are to blame is just such an ignorant take.

The ship had lost power twice. It cannot turn or stop. It's essentially drifting by the current. This is like driving on a sheet of ice without any traction. You can't turn or brake and just sliding by momentum.
They released the black box contents to the media, and they only mention the pilots giving orders and commanding the ship. I guess if the captain ignored their orders, we will know about it soon

FeralEcho

What the fuck was that bridge made of,glass? It crumbled faster than a deck of cards.

Shouldn't there be failsafes in place for things like this to not happen in the first place... Are there no barriers in front of the pylons to protect the bridge? How the fuck can something like this happen so easily?

What a tragedy...My heart goes out to everyone affected.

Top Bottom