• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter: Heart Forth Alicia, 2D Metroidvania (W/M/L/PS4/PSV) WiiU@$200k 3DS@$245k

Kickstarter page
(already funded!)
Greenlight page (already Greenlit!)
Trailer

936df26b7ab965bd284c150d86d634e6_large.png

• Master devastating and versatile magic spells to annihilate your enemies and solve creative puzzles.
  • Engage in fast, agile melee combat with an enchanted wizard's whip, over 20 special attacks and upgrades, and a wide array of mobility skills.
  • Adventure through a vast, intricately detailed world filled with hidden wonders and puzzles, dastardly platforming, lethal dungeons, and much, much more.
  • Play with powerful RPG elements that include all the gear, loot, sidequests, upgrades, crafting, and gameplay depth that make for a classic RPG experience.
  • Discover 5 secret fairy companions to crush, shock, freeze, and burn your enemies, or save you at your most dire moment of need.
  • Experience a deep and immersive story that takes place within a much larger history of events and cultures, and starring a cast of fascinating, memorable characters.

5a9f5856bb840ed75896a9122c61a24b_large.jpg

6ce34999c77565a899e3174f720a53b6_large.gif

f442e115fd8b9d6b05d8f70ca0184624_large.gif

df108378f00984c555c0e43fff76587d_large.gif

9d0d5df8e7cca001183d844bfb0c137e_large.gif

e3287894db5f6fcdef50ac597460a99e_large.gif

Also there's live action footage? Sure why not...
31699c95c181c4c197e87e9be23f521b_large.png

Why Kickstarter?

You might be wondering why I decided to take the game to Kickstarter. The reason is very simple: developing this game on my own is incredibly slow. I started this game 7 years ago, and though I’ve cumulatively worked on it for more than four (the last two, full-time), I simply don’t see myself finishing this game in a reasonable amount of time without bringing other people into the project.

Fortunately, I’ve been lucky enough to get a bunch of talented people interested in the game and ready to jump in. However, professionals like them will hardly want to jump into the boat with you if you don’t have funds to pay them with.

Aside from the costs of physical rewards, almost all of the money raised in the campaign will exclusively be used to hire the people to help with game development (namely graphics, music and code), aside from getting a small fraction for my own living expenses, and another one for taxes and fees. Any extra money will be used to fund stretch goals such as porting the game to Mac/Linux, getting it to certain consoles, developing extensions to bring more features to the game, and maybe even add extra areas or content to the game.

I would never give the game up even if things don’t work out as planned, but without outside support I'd have to get a part-time job to cover my living costs, and it'd take me a few more years to finish the game. Kickstarter is basically the only viable option, and it's a really good one if we can make it happen.

Any support you can provide to this project will be invaluable to me, and I thank you in advance for helping me finish Heart Forth, Alicia.

- Alonso

c79074a69a17cf2228728463f2d2d614_large.png

okayfrog

Banned
Welp, that looks like a Metroidvania game. At only $10? Yeah, definitely backing this. Only the second game on Kickstarter I've ever backed but I'm sure this won't be a waste of money... hopefully.

Burt

From the dev team, thanks for the support and comments everyone, really means a lot to us. It's incredibly awesome to see any amount of support validate all the work we've put in, let alone how much we've seen in the last couple hours.

And...

Welp, that looks like a Metroidvania game. At only $10? Yeah, definitely backing this. Only the second game on Kickstarter I've ever backed but I'm sure this won't be a waste of money... hopefully.

... it won't be. Wouldn't want to let a second-time backer down.

PM me if you need anything for the OP, Hades, and thanks for getting a thread up.

From the dev team, thanks for the support and comments everyone, really means a lot to us. It's incredibly awesome to see any amount of support validate all the work we've put in, let alone how much we've seen in the last couple hours.

And...

... it won't be. Wouldn't want to let a second-time backer down.

PM me if you need anything for the OP, Hades, and thanks for getting a thread up.

Welcome! Keep us updated on here as well. :)

NEO0MJ

This looks really interesting, but I'll wait for more updates before deciding if I should back it up or not. Hope the best for the team.

Burt

Welcome! Keep us updated on here as well. :)

Sure thing.

Actually, here's a gif that didn't make the Kickstarter cut due file size and playback speed problems, but I don't see the harm in throwing it out here.

Double%20Jumps.gif

This looks really interesting, but I'll wait for more updates before deciding if I should back it up or not. Hope the best for the team.

We've got things lined up, don't worry about that. Anything in particular you're looking for in terms of updates?

And a big thanks to everyone for the support and comments, of course. Passing them on to Alonso.

My god, I almost squealed at that colourful, 16-bit UI. And the platforming looks like mad fun too! But really, they had me at Metroidvania; I can't get enough of these kinds of games. Backed for ten dollars.

Rhysser

Banned
Please bring this to consoles :) These are best played with controllers on very large screens from the comfort of a couch :)

Jobbs

Banned
the video is pretty exceptional among kickstarter videos. even if I didn't occasionally chat with this guy on skype, I'd be convinced.

Cade

Backed, too good to miss out on those early bird tiers. Gorgeous art and looks like it plays really well also.

NEO0MJ

We've got things lined up, don't worry about that. Anything in particular you're looking for in terms of updates?

I guess the thing me (and probably most other people) want to know more about are the potential consoles it might be released for if it reaches certain stretch goals.

hiro4

And a big thanks to everyone for the support and comments, of course. Passing them on to Alonso.

Backed this too, very impressed by the level of completion already!
Also for the updates, I'm quite interested in what you are planning for the Stretch Goals.

I know, it might be a bit too early, but personally it gives me another reason to or pledge more or pledge even earlier and I think a lot of people will agree with me.

Personally I'm hoping for an OSX release for example.

Jaagen

All these indie games are starting to look the same to me.

Am I alone in this?

A lot of them look simillar, yes. The whole 16-bit artstyle is very popular. Not that I mind, but I would like some 32/64-bit era early 3D graphics. Flat shaded and all.

Burt

I guess the thing me (and probably most other people) want to know more about are the potential consoles it might be released for if it reaches certain stretch goals.

Backed this too, very impressed by the level of completion already!
Also for the updates, I'm quite interested in what you are planning for the Stretch Goals.

I know, it might be a bit too early, but personally it gives me another reason to or pledge more or pledge even earlier and I think a lot of people will agree with me.

Personally I'm hoping for an OSX release for example.

Ha, dead-on about most people wondering about consoles and ports.

Our initial funding goal only covers the PC version of the game, but OSX and Linux ports are absolutely our highest priority with any additional funding, and thanks to the help from Chucklefish, some console ports shouldn't be much of an issue after that.

I hate to be so vague, but I don't want to get into specifics without talking more to Alonso and the people at Chucklefish. We should have an official update about all this pretty soon, especially with as many people asking as they are, so keep an eye out for it.

Anyway, it's been a long night, so I'm going to call it quits for a few hours. Thanks again to everyone for the amazing support. I don't think I've ever actually felt anything like it. Never expected to get the reception we've experienced after launching so late at night. We'll do our best to get a solid update about ports out by tomorrow night.

Vire

The video they put together is pretty exceptionally polished for a Kickstarter.

Hope this pulls through, never can have enough Metroidvania's in the world.

JoseJX

Absolutely! I'm ready to back if there's a Linux version, the game looks gorgeous! Have you looked into Anaconda at all? I saw on your Kickstarter that the game is written for MMF2 and Anaconda is pretty complete for porting to OSX/Linux.

Noogy

Glad this went up. I've been following for what seems like years, with its beautiful pixel art. Hope it does well.

Also, gore is so poorly overused in games these days that it normally doesn't do anything for me. However that trailer certainly made an impact and used it effectively. Can't wait!

I was going to pop in and make a snarky comment, but that it looks pretty darn swish. I guess I should back it.

*e*
I see St0ven's involved. Not surprised at how gorgeous it looks then. Dude's way talented and a pretty rad guy.

Arle Nadja

Neo Member
Damn, this looks promising. I might actually consider putting in a hundred or so to get the physical copy plus the artbook.

Uff duh

Banned
Looks great! Ive never backed anything on Kickstarter, Is it painless?

Edit: Yep painless. I am in for that demo.

ZoddGutts

Seems like they may have enough content to put a demo out, would be wise to get a bunch of Youtubers get to play this so that I'll put more exposure on this project.

Top Bottom