• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter Thread - 2015 - Making promising projects a reality...again

God, "Kickstarting" is going to become a new trend isn't it?
Those fake pledges are nothing new. I believe a troll hit The Mandate a few years back, and I remember reading about other instances

Edit: Hero-U and Elsinore also were hit by the same troll. Those campaigns are back to normal now; at least Elsinore was already funded and Hero-U is early in its campaign and seems on track to get funded

KC Denton

(Full disclosure: I know several members of the team working on this project and played their demo at GDC this year.)

This project started its campaign today: Through the Woods

6He4IBM.png
Wq50fnd.png

It's a third-person horror game about a mother trying to find and save her lost son in a forest somewhere in Norway, with elements of Norwegian folk tales and Norse mythology.

If you pledge at any tier, they will send you a link to a downloadable prototype for the game within 24 hours.

Added to Ongoing
Oak Island
The Mystery of Oak Island is a thrilling point & click adventure game with a dark, gripping storyline that is based on the REAL, legendary treasure hunt on Oak Island - Nova Scotia, Canada.
fOU2ITk.jpg

Starfighter Inc.
Multiplayer space warfare from the minds behind X-Wing, Crysis and Desert Combat.
qijUiAB.jpg

Das Tal
Sandbox MMORPG meets Arena PvP. Das Tal throws you into a dark fantasy prison world with Open PvP, Full Loot, Resource Warfare & Sieges
SRLbba8.jpg

Sethian
Enter a lost world in the distant future, learn the language of an ancient computer, and uncover the secrets of a forgotten people.
YIIyooL.jpg

Through The Woods
Through the Woods is a third-person psychological horror experience about how far a mother would go to save her son.
RJICw7F.jpg

Umbra
Open world, free progression hack 'n' slash! Turn into a personalized Apocalyptic Form and unleash your powers upon your foes!
Yz5GIdB.jpg

Hero-U
In the spirit of our acclaimed Quest for Glory series, Hero-U is an adventure game and an RPG that combines role-playing, exploration, turn-based combat, an immersive story, and rich character interactions to create a unique and fun game experience.
sKl1Pt7.jpg

draetenth

Keep up the good work More_Badass!

I'm glad previous backers don't have to back the second Hero-U kickstarter. I don't really have the money at the moment...

Added to Upcoming
Galaxy Heist - 2015
Pilot your large ship, man the turrets with an array of weapons, or take control of one of your drone wing-men for some dog fighting. Once on the bridge connecting your ship to the one you boarded, you'll need to fight through the ship in order to get to the flight deck.
CEwCu1XWYAAOkD7.png

(Full disclosure: I know several members of the team working on this project and played their demo at GDC this year.)

This project started its campaign today: Through the Woods

It's a third-person horror game about a mother trying to find and save her lost son in a forest somewhere in Norway, with elements of Norwegian folk tales and Norse mythology.

If you pledge at any tier, they will send you a link to a downloadable prototype for the game within 24 hours.

Just backed this. Love the idea of a game from a mother's perspective. I wish I could campaign for a Kickstarter. Can I do that?

Added to Upcoming
Transmission - Summer
An action adventure game set on a mysterious alien world, with the intent being to create a world that feels like a piece of concept art.
After awakening on an unknown planet, and with no memory of what occurred before the crash, your fate depends on finding a way home. Aided by your ship's central computer and a plasma cutter, you set off to discover a haunting alien world with unknown dangers and secrets of the past...

crashed_small.jpg

Dear lord, the proposed Bards Tale tiers. The $33 Tier is the "Pirate's Bay" tier. It comes with a sign letter of forgiveness for pirating a past game. I'm honestly wondering how many people will pledge to that tier.

Added to Upcoming
SQUAD - May 26th
Squad is an online, team-based military experience where high levels of teamwork and communication are crucial to success.
Built from the ground up in Unreal Engine 4, Squad pits teams of up to 50 people against each other in intense modern day combined-arms combat scenarios.

nySgXwI.jpg

The Bard's Tale IV - June 2nd
"a return to and modernization of dungeon crawling with a few new tricks up its sleeve"
Bards_tale-720x372.jpg

We Happy Few - June 4th
We Happy Few is the tale of a plucky bunch of moderately terrible people trying to escape from a lifetime of cheerful denial. Set in a drug-fuelled, retrofuturistic city in an alternative 1960s England, you’ll have to blend in with its other inhabitants, who don’t take kindly to people who don’t abide by their not-so-normal rules.
we-happy-few-02-exit-bobby_1920.0.jpg

Added to Ongoing
Station
An incident during a routine expedition transforms an underwater mining facility into a deathtrap. You find yourself surrounded by fire, water, bare electrical wires, and crewmembers who have gone crazy... and who are ready to take a chunk out of you.
Will you be able to escape the Station?

fnSBEV8.png

Combat Core
Combat Core is a 3D arena fighting game that borrows elements from classic games like Power Stone, Custom Robo, and other fighters. The fighting mechanics focus on fast-paced combat, strategic use of your environment, and weapons in the arena.
hMXae9H.gif

Dimension Drive (2nd campaign)
Dimension Drive is a comic book-styled space adventure set in a multidimensional universe. It features a unique teleportation mechanic that allows you to fight on two battlefields at once, and gameplay combining frantic shooting, defense and fast puzzling action.
HmVTISd.gif

The Aquatic Adventure of the Last Human
The Aquatic Adventure of the Last Human is a metroid-vania styled action/adventure game where you play as the navigator of Argo 9, a spaceship/submarine hybrid, thrust back to Earth in a time after humans have gone extinct. Whereupon one will have to explore to uncover the reasons for humanity's downfall meanwhile encountering monstrous sea creatures.
fatSXka.gif

Bishop Games

Neo Member

titch

Nice demo - the character controls seem nice and responsive.

Gathering momentum for a longer jump caught me out a few times :)

Like the art style and really hope you get your funding.

Added to Ongoing

Starfall Tactics
Fight your battles using a variety of ships - from subtle frigates, to deadly cruisers and heavy dreadnoughts. However, a reliable fleet isn't the only ingredient for success. Effective commanders will have to rely on their ability to properly assess the situation, taking into account many factors, such as the equipment of enemy ships, the surrounding environment and the available technology.
attack1.png

Perception
Perception is a first-person narrative horror adventure that tells the story of Cassie, a blind heroine who uses her extraordinary hearing and razor-sharp wits to unravel the mysteries of an abandoned estate that haunts her dreams.
output_TiQ6uI1.gif

Guri

Happy that Elsinore is also officially funded, including a bunch of cool stretch goals. The same for Melancholy Republic last week. Now hoping for Perception and Independent By Design: Art & Stories of Indie Game Creation.

I was thinking about that recent Polygon opinion piece and that notion that the big-name spiritual successor Kickstarters are taking over and smaller indie campaigns don't get funded anymore.

Like just looking at the Funded list for this year so far, that can't be further from the truth. The smaller stuff always outnumbers the big ones by a large margin and more succeed than fail.

Obviously word of mouth and media attention give those big projects a much larger profile, but when you have stuff like Elsinore and Aviary Attorney getting funded, I think it's safe to say the smaller projects aren't being constantly overshadowed

Now to be fair, launching a campaign right before or after a successor KS starts is going to hurt your campaign. Or launching your campaign the same day Witcher 3 launches (Combat Core) or around E3 and the Summer Sale (Twin Souls) will hurt your campaign. In other words, there are a lot of other factors that impact a campaign

Guri

I was thinking about that recent Polygon opinion piece and that notion that the big-name spiritual successor Kickstarters are taking over and smaller indie campaigns don't get funded anymore.

Like just looking at the Funded list for this year so far, that can't be further from the truth. The smaller stuff always outnumbers the big ones by a large margin and more succeed than fail.

Obviously word of mouth and media attention give those big projects a much larger profile, but when you have stuff like Elsinore and Aviary Attorney getting funded, I think it's safe to say the smaller projects aren't being constantly overshadowed

Now to be fair, launching a campaign right before or after a successor KS starts is going to hurt your campaign. Or launching your campaign the same day Witcher 3 launches (Combat Core) or around E3 and the Summer Sale (Twin Souls) will hurt your campaign. In other words, there are a lot of other factors that impact a campaign

I think the main point of that article (by a Elsinore developer) was not that smaller indie campaigns don't get funded, but that they have to sacrifice how much they are asking because bigger projects aren't asking for full budget. So, for example, Elsinore would need $625k if they asked for the whole budget, while Bloodstained asked for $500k.

And while some people do understand that Bloodstained only asked for 10% of the budget, sadly A LOT of people would compare the videos and screenshots and wonder why Bloodstained would look more complex than Elsinore while asking for less.

Hell, there were people questioning why Elsinore's mobile version, as a stretch goal, was "too expensive".

I think the main point of that article (by a Elsinore developer) was not that smaller indie campaigns don't get funded, but that they have to sacrifice how much they are asking because bigger projects aren't asking for full budget. So, for example, Elsinore would need $625k if they asked for the whole budget, while Bloodstained asked for $500k.

And while some people do understand that Bloodstained only asked for 10% of the budget, sadly A LOT of people would compare the videos and screenshots and wonder why Bloodstained would look more complex than Elsinore while asking for less.

Hell, there were people questioning why Elsinore's mobile version, as a stretch goal, was "too expensive".
Definitely, but there were also quite a few comments revolving around the same idea of "Kickstarter was meant for the little guy and these rockstar devs and their campaigns are taking over".

And well, some people don't seem to understand that stretch goals are cumulative. iPad version isn't 45k; it's 45k for all the extra content plus the iPad version.

Guri

Definitely, but there were also quite a few comments revolving around the same idea of "Kickstarter was meant for the little guy and these rockstar devs and their campaigns are taking over".

And well, some people don't seem to understand that stretch goals are cumulative. iPad version isn't 45k; it's 45k for all the extra content plus the iPad version.

Which was very weird, because that wasn't what Katie wanted to say. I think people get easily offended with this idea and just assumed that's what she meant.

Parsnip

In case someone isn't following the updates, Mystik Belle keys are up for Legend of Iya backers.

Also, I just noticed the "Got it!" checkbox in the backer history, apparently it's been there for a while now. I wonder how many people actually use it. So far none of the projects I've backed and have been completed have reminded me to go and mark it.

Top Bottom