• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Cudi's MotM Listening Session|OT|Not the classic GAF-Hop wants, but oh well

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

After a bitter debate in which sides were instantly formed and battles waged, the legitimacy of MOTM being worthy of the moniker "modern classic" is still quite up in the air. I think a listening party is definitely in order to help settle things or perhaps to give each side more ammo with the hopes of bringing the war to an end and claiming a true victor. Gaf-Hop will be in full force I hope so that the yaysayers can finally be silenced.

pvLhc.jpg
NlERT.png
Pnccy.jpg

Wiki said:
Man on the Moon: The End of Day is the debut album of American rapper Kid Cudi, released September 15, 2009, on GOOD Music. A concept album, it follows the release of his first mixtape A Kid Named Cudi (2008). Production for the album took place during 2007 to 2009 and was handled by several record producers, including Cudi, Kanye West, Emile Haynie, Plain Pat, No I.D., Dot da Genius and Jeff Bhasker, among others.

Wiki said:
Writing and development

According to Allmusic, soon after it was announced that Cudi would release this album it became "deep in the category of 'much anticipated'".[1] Prior to the album being picked up the likes of Universal Motown and GOOD Music, he had previous worked with mentor and fellow rapper Kanye West on his 2008 record 808s & Heartbreaks, co-writing four hits for it. He said that without those song successes Man on the Moon: The End of Day would not have been picked up by any major labels.[2] Cudi, who became West's protege and collaborator,[2] hoped Man on the Moon: The End of Day would show people that he had his own voice and set him apart.[3] The record was originally titled Man on the Moon: The Guardians,[4] but its subtitle was later changed to The End of Day. Performance artist Andy Kaufman partly inspired the new title.[2] He planned for this record to be the first in a trilogy, with the next edition being entitled The Ghost and the Machine.[2]

Before to the success of "Day 'N' Nite", the rapper had said that he would never try to mix politics or jocular things in with his lyrical content. After realizing the power of his voice he then decided to make important and unique songs, focusing on the message, rather than just creating inane music. He said his mode of operation at that time "was just, 'Hey, I’m making these cool sounding songs and I have little messages in them'", but still had himself in it.[5] Although Cudi had a message in every track, he chose to avoid using dense lyrics, explaining that he did not want to write material that he would not actually say or use in real life, adding that being true to yourself entirely was meaningful to him. "I don’t speak like a fucking nerdy guy; I speak like a regular dude", he remarked.[5]

He wrote "Day 'N' Nite" after the death of his uncle. The two were not on speaking terms after his uncle forced him out of his home before Cudi could find another living situation. A bitter Cudi never apologized to him before his death, which he now regrets.[3] Other songs on the album expand upon themes discussed in that single.[5] Back in 2007, Drake, who was one of Cudi's first supporters, had shown interest in doing an official remix of the song with him. However, Cudi chose against it since he was not interested in working with people who are in the "same creative realm" as him and because he was in the midst of creating his own works.[3] Beginning in the fourth grade, and getting more tense after his father's death when he was 11, Cudi began dreaming of his own death (which usually was an automobile accident). He channeled these things into his material.[2] Speaking to Black Book Magazine in May 2009, Cudi said of the album and its content,

Each song is a message. All the hooks are stadium-worthy, crowd sing-along, powerful joints that I can’t wait for people to hear in stadium magnitude. My album definitely needs to be heard loudly, but it’s also a great album if you’re smoking and you need to go to sleep. So far I have the lineup of how I want the first seven tracks on my album and if I play the first seven from the beginning to the end, I’m zoned out and it’s the best trip ever. You need to be high to appreciate the instrumentation and how everything is put together on the album—but you don’t have to be high just to enjoy it in general.

Wiki said:
Composition

A concept album,[6] Man on the Moon: The End of Day is an autobiographical track series of moody dark material that is separated into five acts that all surround "Day 'N' Nite" with an arcane account.[2][7] One reviewer summed up the story to be: "[a] lonely guy sits in his room and dreams of success. He uses drugs to calm his fears and fend off night terrors. He eventually gets recognized as the star he always knew he was, and lives the superstar life… or maybe he’s still dreaming about that stage of his life, and we’re just witnessing what his dreams sound like."[8] According to Cudi, more lively songs had to be added so that listeners did not feel like they were listening to a "slit-your-wrists album".[2] It was observed by a reviewer that on Man on the Moon: The End of Day, Cudi does neither rap nor sing, instead he goes "puzzling through some third way: a sort of loose, hazily melodic talking."[9] Musical collaborators included West, Ratatat and MGMT, among others, and the record is narrated by Common. Lyrically, he raps about anxiety and his frequent nightmares.[2]

The album's first two songs are a one-two introduction to the rapper and what he is up to. There is a gloomy interior monologue about success, the lack of it, and Cudi's inner conflicts, where he welcomes listeners by saying they are in his dreams.[8] "Soundtrack 2 My Life" is a more courageous theme song where he proclaims, "This is the soundtrack to my life". In it he states that his family did not see the sadness in him[9] and that he has not been right since his father's death. The third track, which is part of the second half of the introduction, has an outer-space style, which is due in part to the Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark group sample, and showcases the rappers readiness to experiment.[8]

Following the opening three-track introduction, there is another three-song section of Man on the Moon: The End of Day where Cudi is confined in his solitary world. Like his current state, the music is appropriately obscure.[8] This chapter of the album is the marijuana section, while in next part the rapper is on psychedelics. References to both drugs are abundant throughout the record, but the latter's part carry "the blind-to-the-world quality of the former." They are internal tracks, where Cudi's mind's state of being is the subject at hand.[8]

"Day 'N' Nite" is the album's turning point, where it transitions from the drab theme of loneliness to vitality.[8] Among the brighter songs are "Enter Galactic (LoveConnection Part 1)", an "trippy disco anthem" that is inspired by when he and a female friend ate shrooms and listened to music by The Postal Service together.[2] "Make Her Say" includes a sample of pop singers Lady Gaga's 2009 smash hit "Poker Face"[2] and features verses from West and Common. It takes Gaga's naughty, mischievous central hook and turns it around to be an unrefined oral sex reference that makes it a "hyper-catchy, forward-looking single."[8] He channels André 3000 in "Cudi Zone".[9] Man on the Moon: The End of Day's closer is "Up Up and Away", an escapist drug anthem single. Unlike other music's common theme of drugs being used as an escape from the unpleasant realities, this however, is about breaking free from the rough reality of someone's own mind and heart.[8]

[CLICK THE GIF AT 10 EST]

Cheddahz

Banned
I really find Kid Cudi overrated, just like this album. There are a bunch of different hip-hop albums that are better

Kad5

His mixtape is the best thing he ever did. Period.

Although I love Soundtrack 2 my life

CRS

KiD CuDi - Man on the Moon Listening Session |OT| Not the classic GAF-Hop wants, but deserves.

Maximus.

He is the best. Love all his work. My avatar has been Kid Cudi for ages.

Mixtape: a kid named cudi - at first I wasn't a fan, but it's a classic now and he did something special

Motm: very good first album

Motm2: my personal favorite. Love most of the songs and the tone of the album

WZRD: good but not the direction I wanted cudi to go into but was a good experiment

Indicud: so far so good ;)

HiResDes

He is the best. Love all his work. My avatar has been Kid Cudi for ages.

Mixtape: a kid named cudi - at first I wasn't a fan, but it's a classic now and he did something special

Motm: very good first album

Motm2: my personal favorite. Love most of the songs and the tone of the album

WZRD: good but not the direction I wanted cudi to go into but was a good experiment

Indicud: so far so good ;)
eminem_stan_06.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom