• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
For someone who was entirely comfortable with Metroid Prime Hunters' controls, is there still any curve?

Only in the ground sections. If you tweak the reticle sensitivity it should be easy enough.

pramath

Banned
Only in the ground sections. If you tweak the reticle sensitivity it should be easy enough.

Okay thanks.

I'm not too worried about the controls, to be honest. If I could get used to, and master, the original Smash's controls, this shouldn't be too bad.

I keep hearing that the story in this game is a trilogy's worth. Without any spoilers, could someone tell me what that means? And does it set up any future sequels?

Jintor

I actually do have a number of minor design faults with controls that aren't stylus-control related but since I don't have any real solution to any of them, and the overall game itself is just so damn amazing, I don't think they matter that much.

Best series revival ever.

Okay thanks.

I'm not too worried about the controls, to be honest. If I could get used to, and master, the original Smash's controls, this shouldn't be too bad.

I keep hearing that the story in this game is a trilogy's worth. Without any spoilers, could someone tell me what that means? And does it set up any future sequels?

You ever play Okami?

You know how Okami totally and conclusively ends and then there's like 30 hours left?

pramath

Banned
You ever play Okami?

You know how Okami totally and conclusively ends and then there's like 30 hours left?

I haven't played Okami.
Would the ALttP analogy be apt here? You go on an adventure, get the ultimate weapon, defeat the final boss... And then find out you l'd only jutst been playing the prologue all along.

Goddamn, the music in this game is so fucking GOOD.

Please, use orchestras more often, Nintendo.

Currently on Chapter
. The environments are hella gorgeous to look at.

All the fantastic impressions make the extra week's wait suck all the more.

iwata-fantasy-tactics.jpg

Got my 3DS all thumbstrapped up and my preorder in. My body is ready.

NeoRausch

My heart just skipped a beat! Got a mail from NOE with the Tagline "Kid Icarus Update!"

and i was O_O WHOOOOAAAAA!

Opened it....just a standart newsletter with old infos...

:( total dissapointment!

Not played a Kid Icarus game before, is this a good place to start? I have the free NES(?) version too so should that be played before this?

Not played a Kid Icarus game before, is this a good place to start? I have the free NES(?) version too so should that be played before this?

This game references the old one a lot but nothing in a way that requires actual knowledge of the NES game. The most specific reference I have seen is Palutena mocking Pit for dying a lot in the last level of the old game.

Zomba13

This game references the old one a lot but nothing in a way that requires actual knowledge of the NES game. The most specific reference I have seen is Palutena mocking Pit for dying a lot in the last level of the old game.

I died a lot in the first level of the old game :(
And the second...
etc...

:(

I don't think my copy will arrive today :( Hopefully tomorrow

ryushe

I really wish there was an option to place the item reel was on the top screen. If I could do that the game would be utterly flawless.

Played a little over an hour since I got this game earlier today.

It's surprisingly good.

I don't know why people are complaining about the controls. I'm left handed, but I am using the default right handed control setup. I even think ground combat is easy enough to get used to. Surprised by the amount of complaining of the controls.

I don't know why people are complaining about the controls. I'm left handed, but I am using the default right handed control setup. I even think ground combat is easy enough to get used to. Surprised by the amount of complaining of the controls.
Seems like the controls are only too hard for Hardcore gamers and reviewers.

Jintor

By the way, damn you guys for having competant club Nintendos. AU's Club Nintendo's latest reward is STILL a goddamn fan.

i'm really giddy to get to chapter
now. can anyone hint what kind of thing happens there? no concrete spoiler just to get my hype starting for tonight.

By the way, damn you guys for having competant club Nintendos. AU's Club Nintendo's latest reward is STILL a goddamn fan.

at least there is a Nintendo AU, i have literally then thousands of points just sitting on my shelve.

Jintor

i'm really giddy to get to chapter
now. can anyone hint what kind of thing happens there? no concrete spoiler just to get my hype starting for tonight.

Pit marries
Magnus
. It's the comedy event of the century.

This game has so much good dialogue, it's amazing, I love how characters just eavesdrop on your Palutena comm chatter.

I'm really starting to come around on the land controls. They aren't perfect by any means but they're at least starting to feel fairly competent to me. I turned the sensitivity of both the x and y axis aiming all the way up and moved the slider almost entirely towards "stop quickly." It's working well for me.

Currently on
Chapter 17
, this game has been an absolute blast so far. The music and visuals (on the flying sections, anyway) are superb.

Holy crap!

My sister's streetpass gem Blade was pretty good, not that awesome but it had lots of stars and abilities.

But I got two in a row by streetpassing with her twice...this is the fusion result:

Artillery Claws
Ranged ★★★★★☆
Melee ★★★★★
Poison +1
Speed +1
Melee combo +1
Overall defense -1
Value 268

CRnsU.jpg

Tom_Cody

Holy crap!

My sister's streetpass gem Blade was pretty good, not that awesome but it had lots of stars and abilities.

But I got two in a row by streetpassing with her twice...this is the fusion result:

Artillery Claws
Ranged ★★★★★☆
Melee ★★★★★
Poison +1
Speed +1
Melee combo +1
Overall defense -1
Value 268

CRnsU.jpg
Jesus, how is it only 268?

I love seeing everyone's high weapon posts. I haven't felt this way about loot since PSO's heyday.

When I first started out I was just fusing my high level weapons. This morning for the first time I started fusing more and more low level weapons in order to build up a base for high level fusions. 4 weapons total consumed and I have a new brilliant Pudgy Palm which I then immediately brought back into single player for a higher intensity play through. This game is unbelievably addictive. How is every review of this not a 10?

Btw, for anyone still on the fence- the controls become more and more natural every time you pick this up.

Rootbeer

Banned
I carry my 3DS with me every day in downtown SF and I haven't had a streetpass in weeks. Not since the GDC was in town. It's frustrating especially if you are trying to finish streetpass quest II :( Kid Icarus goodies would also be nice.

KevinCow

Banned
Man looking at this trailer and realising almost everything in it
is from like the first 9 levels only

I love how they built up the hype for the game.

They showed so much in the month or so before the game's release. I thought they'd ruined everything for me. It seemed like they'd even shown off the final level.

Yet there's so much more to this game that wasn't even hinted at.

Tom_Cody

I need to visit Nintendo World soon :(

maybe even tomorrow
Be sure to reset your tags. I only realized I was full with ten when I was about to leave. After picking up my puzzle tiles, I was still able to get 5 just on my way out the door.

That was a Saturday though. I'm not sure how busy it is on Wednesdays.

Jintor

It certainly makes writing reviews hard

Just shit like opening up additional achievements menus is so amazing and was such a pleasant surprise

Tom_Cody

Question:

What's the deal with the Zodiac weapons. I had already fused one before I realized that they don't reappear on repeat level playthroughs.

What is their role in the game?

Ragus

Banned
Chapter
- OH MY GOD. Just when I think it can't get any better, it does.

I know that review scores don't matter, but when I look at metacritics and see 83, my reaction is basically this:

mj-laughing.gif

ryushe

Be sure to reset your tags. I only realized I was full with ten when I was about to leave. After picking up my puzzle tiles, I was still able to get 5 just on my way out the door.

That was a Saturday though. I'm not sure how busy it is on Wednesdays.
*sigh* I really wish Nintendo would up the limit of street passes you can get at a given time. I remember going to Nintendo world, staying there for at least an hour (that's not counting the time I was pursuing the city either) and only having the Max of 10 passes all because I forgot to reset. :-\

Question:

What's the deal with the Zodiac weapons. I had already fused one before I realized that they don't reappear on repeat level playthroughs.

What is their role in the game?

When you find them, you unlock them to be dropped elsewhere or fused.

Y'know all the Xs and question marks when you go to fuse? Eventually you will be able to fuse anything with anything. You can't fuse stuff you haven't unlocked yet, weapons named after story mode characters you haven't met yet, etc.

AwRy108

Chapter

I know that review scores don't matter, but when I look at metacritics and see 83, my reaction is basically this:

mj-laughing.gif

From what I've read, almost every review was overwhelmingly positive about the entire experience EXCEPT the controls; and considering that controls are such an essential part of gaming, I'd say an 83 on Metacritic is pretty damned fair.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Chapter

mj-laughing.gif

Could be the lowest scored game on metacritic to win GOTY on gaf :)

Top Bottom