• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

I need to say first that I fucking adore this game, but does anyone else find some of the chapters to be a little too long? I wish there were at least mid-chapter saves or something (being able to start a mission for certain "waypoints" would be even better).

Just beat the game. Having a lot of fun with the different intensities and multiplayer now. Multiplayer is fun but I need to main a new weapon. I'm not very good with palms for some reason but I'm pretty good with Claws and arms. I'm currently using a pretty effective Bow but I'm not very good with it. Depending on the weapons the other team uses, I either do really well or I get completely clobered.

I wonder about what characters should be in the next smash. Palutena is obvious.
However, I'm not sure who else. Magnus would be cool and he was playable but he wasn't that important throughout the story. Medusa kinda dropped out completely but then again she was in the original game. Viridi had an extremely important part as did Hades but who knows how important to the series they are. Dark Pit was also pretty important but it'd be useless to have two identical characters in Smash.

I hope we get another game in the future. Based on the wild success the game has been having it could workout. They could explore tons of other greek myths/gods. Some of them could be pretty funny such as Narcissus. As someone else described this is about three games combined into one.

emb

does anyone else find some of the chapters to be a little too long? I wish there were at least mid-chapter saves or something (being able to start a mission for certain "waypoints" would be even better).

Definitely. I really appreciate games breaking levels down into shorter portions. The first half of the levels or so were about perfect in length, a lot of the later ones seemed to over step that.

Still loads of fun, but I keep finding myself wanting to play only parts of a level. An option to pick the air or ground part would have been super.

I wonder about what characters should be in the next smash. Palutena is obvious.
However, I'm not sure who else. Magnus would be cool and he was playable but he wasn't that important throughout the story. Medusa kinda dropped out completely but then again she was in the original game. Viridi had an extremely important part as did Hades but who knows how important to the series they are. Dark Pit was also pretty important but it'd be useless to have two identical characters in Smash.

Now that I've played this game, it seems that Palutena is the far and away the best choice. Beyond that is a no go, I think. Pit's black outfit will be modified a little to look like Dark Pit, I'm sure.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Just beat Chapter 9.

Knowing ahead of time about Hades took the surprise away. But I'm impressed at how committed they were to making it feel like the end of the game, down to fighting old bosses a second time.

I wish I would hurry up and get a good Palm or Claw. I love those weapons the most, but I can't justify not using my Viper Blade with an Overall Defense +5. I'm sure I'll get some goodies once I get better and can really jack the difficulty up. I've only been able to clear levels at 5.0, and even then I keep getting close calls.

Well I beat this the day after it came out. Very awsome single player game. It just kept going and going and there was never a annoying level. It was all great!

My stats for when I beat it:

Kid Icarus: Uprising
Started Friday March 23rd 2012 around 11 AM
Finished Saturday March 24th 2012 6:55 PM
Playtime ingame: 8:57
Playtime Activity Log: 9:10
Times Played: 2 (Not all at once since theres sleep mode. Took a break to try out NES KI)
Average Playtime: 4:35

Will try to collect everything in this game but I rarely 100% games so we'll see...multiplayer is awsome! Might add some of all later but right now I'm to lazy :p

If anyone sees me online my name will be AbbyVamp so look out for me.

Replaying the levels on 9.0 is hard. Almost beat Chapter One but I died at the boss. This game is insanely fun. So much stuff...

Just beat Chapter 9.

Knowing ahead of time about Hades took the surprise away. But I'm impressed at how committed they were to making it feel like the end of the game, down to fighting old bosses a second time.

I wish I would hurry up and get a good Palm or Claw. I love those weapons the most, but I can't justify not using my Viper Blade with an Overall Defense +5. I'm sure I'll get some goodies once I get better and can really jack the difficulty up. I've only been able to clear levels at 5.0, and even then I keep getting close calls.

Word! I've also been using a Viper Blade while hoping for a better Claw, which has been my favorite weapon to use. Do they all have such short shot range, though?

And what are those feathers next to Palutena's Treasure Hunt? I've used one, but I'm not sure what it did.

Neiteio

Word! I've also been using a Viper Blade while hoping for a better Claw, which has been my favorite weapon to use. Do they all have such short shot range, though?

And what are those feathers next to Palutena's Treasure Hunt? I've used one, but I'm not sure what it did.
The feathers are one-use items that allow you to break any square of your choosing on the treasure walls. So save the rest for the squares you just can't seem to unlock the normal way. :)

Darryl

Banned

i was imagining they were like the hammers from smash bros, automatically unlocking an achievement. i didn't check because i was scared of losing one, though.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx

I'm pretty sure they're like the Hammers from Brawl. They will automatically clear a challenge of your choice. I haven't tested one myself, but I plan on holding onto mine so I'll have to do all the challenges myself.

EDIT: Beaten twice.

EDIT 2:
Just so you know, the feathers will not be able to clear some of the tougher challenges.

Like finish every stage with a lvl 9 intensity

You've been warned :O
So it's exactly like Brawl. Good to know.

PK Gaming

Just so you know, the feathers will not be able to clear some of the tougher challenges.

Like finish every stage with a lvl 9 intensity

You've been warned :O

Jintor

Oh, I see, the game tracks Game Time and Play Time separately. Cool. I have, like, 9:56:02 hours of play time but almost 13:49 hours of total game time. What? I can't have been fusing for that long... I guess all that time dicking around with Idols and stuff adds up.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I need to say first that I fucking adore this game, but does anyone else find some of the chapters to be a little too long? I wish there were at least mid-chapter saves or something (being able to start a mission for certain "waypoints" would be even better).

Just finished Chapter 9 and goddamn that went on and on... Really solid all around, but it felt like an hour passed. Thought about using sleep mode for a break midway through myself, especially given the hand cramps I was getting.

I was on chapter
8 and I was so sad that it seemed like the game was nearing its end, so I stopped playing Solo for a bit. Eventually I finally went in and I'm extremely happy there's more. Currently on chapter 11(which is amazing what's going on in the background). Hope there's more.

Really glad the way this game turned out. The 3D is really amazing. Usually games have a lot of 3D which just doesn't show up right for my eyes or feel strainful/awkward. However, this game just nails it. I've always been a fan of all that 3D menu too.

Saw a few people playing it in the trains during my commute to school. I need to start carrying my 3DS around for tags!

The last couple started getting a bit too long for my tastes and were wearing my patience.

Now that I've played this game, it seems that Palutena is the far and away the best choice. Beyond that is a no go, I think. Pit's black outfit will be modified a little to look like Dark Pit, I'm sure.

I agree. I think there could maybe be one more slot in addition to Palutena but who knows anymore.

Now that I think about it the only thing that saddens me about Kid Icarus is that Star Fox is likely dead now unless Nintendo does some major overhauls.

Thanks to everyone answering my questions so far. The one other thing I'm confused about (at the moment) is how the stars actually correlate to weapon stats.

My Viper Blade has higher star ratings in both Range and Melee, but a lower-ranked Bear Claw seems to do significantly more damage (though it has less range).

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Continuing to play and I am growing more confident with the controls. Laying in bed with the system propped up on a pillow using the stand over my lap I found to be the most comforting way to play(far moreso than hunched over a desk). Thanks to the posters that recommended doing this.

About a third through the campaign and the game continues to impress in the sheer amount of content, witty writing, and vast selection of firearms to settle into. Gorgeous use of 3D as well and each stage really capitalizes on delivering imaginative settings and obstacles.

It's been a massive hurdle getting past the learning curve, but I do feel more skillful at camera management and have even gotten a decent hang of dash dodging specific attacks. The biggest recommendation I can give for people still hung up on the stylus play is to really slow down. Spending a level or two just going as slow as possible and carefully watching enemies instead of full on dash charge spamming really helped me in my last few sessions.

The air battles get really brutal on high difficulties though. I really wish I can choose to double tap for roll dodges instead of the 'back->forth' stick motion.

Somnid

I was looking through the game and manual and I still can't figure out how Spotpass works. It's like I have a perpetual blue dot over my game and I have no idea what I'm supposed to do.

Jintor

I was looking through the game and manual and I still can't figure out how Spotpass works. It's like I have a perpetual blue dot over my game and I have no idea what I'm supposed to do.

Check your streetpass gems.

Yeah, I know

I've gotten a lot better at operating this game standless. I've been playing on trains and sheet. Half-hour commutes are perfect if I can get a seat.

Darryl

Banned
i imagine pit and palutena would have some kinda pokemon trainer thing goin on.

i don't think they'll make them separate characters

Thoraxes

It was weird; the controls bothered me on the first day, I went to bed, woke up the next day and had zero problems and I've been using the controls like they were second-nature to me.

They work so well for me now.

branny

Yeah, but at least the length of the chapters doesn't completely kill the game like it did with S&P2.

Ideally, each stage would've been between 5-10 minutes long with options to either play the full level or just the flying or ground sections in successive replays. A few mechanics would have to be revamped to offer incentive to play levels in their entirety (heart multiplier, score multiplier, loot modifier, etc.). Even the flying sections would have to be reworked since you don't acquire loot in those; completion would have to reward you with random loot akin to the multiplayer.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Heh, nice that the dialogue changes a bit when you do something different in a play through. Third stage and head left/right.

Korosenai

I don't find the chapters too long, but the length is a pain in the ass when trying to beat a chapter on 9 intensity.

Boogiepop

Just got to the credits roll. It actually kinda surprised me when I hit it, as I thought it was going to keep going till 100% completion. What actually goes into the completion rate?

Also, I have to say I really like Dark Pit and the way they handled him throughout the game. Just felt surprisingly refreshing for an "evil version of the main character" type character.

And lastly, I've definitely had way too hard of a time fusing a bad add-on out of a weapon. I've been using a decently powerful (4 1/2 and 3, I think) blade with -4 defense for way too long. It's been making me ridiculously fragile. Honestly, I should just switch over to one of my 5/6 in one stat or the other weapons, but they all have 0 in the opposite stat, and I can't help but want balance. Also... is shaking bad? What exactly does it do?

Lan_97

Just got my copy in today. Pretty awesome package all around. Though I've gotten used to the controls (max speed, fastest stopping), I find it strange there are no options for fixed reticule (like Metroid Prime Hunters or even a iOS first/third person shooter). I think that is much more intuitive than what is presented here.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Okay, I'm annoyed.

Assuming I'm correct about it BEING the final boss of the final level, the game can't be finished by anyone with typical color-blindness.

This is aggravating.

I'm in chapter
and playing against what I assume is the final
form of Hades -- when he's tossing blue and purple balls at you.

The problem is that you need to distinguish between the blue and purple shots to damage the boss -and- avoid taking damage; shooting the WRONG color projectile hurts you... very, very quickly.

This means I can't beat the game. It is literally impossible for me to beat the game.

I'm a bit annoyed at the moment.

(What's worse is that this isn't something that can be worked around, at all --
no items can be used in the final battle
, I can't very well anyone to spot the colors for me in a high-speed action title, and there is no distinguishing characteristic aside from color.)

totowhoa

Banned
I feel like the record just scratched to a stop and everyone is looking at Sklorenz.

So be it. The flight sections don't feel as tight and well thought out as something like StarFox, S&P, or Panzer Dragoon to name the big ones. But again, I'm only at like Chapter 5 and I have no idea how long the game is. I loved the section in what I think was Chapter 4 that involved dodging horizontal rock formations while fighting enemies which was then followed by enemies that blew rings of poison smoke or something. I haven't played the game for a few days now because I've been busy, but that section was the one of the only real exciting portions of the flight portion so far (still the best part of the game, easy). I really feel like the screen is just too damn small and while the stylus controls work well, they don't feel natural to me. It works, but it's not as fun as it has been in the past with a traditional controller or the wii remote. I don't like playing it on my 3DS. It's a hassle and it stinks being forced to use a stand or play while resting the system on my lap or wherever.

The ground section is where stylus aiming actually feels a little more natural due to how the handle it, but everything else about ground battle is just clunky and awkward. I really wish the ground portion had also been on-rails with a slightly alternative control scheme or something.

The game's definitely not bad, and I picked it up day one for 30 bucks at Best Buy, so I don't feel ripped off or anything. I'm certainly the odd man out for the moment though.

The problem is that you need to distinguish between the blue and purple shots to damage the boss -and- avoid taking damage; shooting the WRONG color projectile hurts you... very, very quickly.

Dang, of all the color combinations too. That sucks dude. I'm a mile away from that point now, but maybe a FAQ or a bit of trial and error will get you there. GAF has had threads about blind people beating video games based on sound after all.
Just youtubeit

Edit:
the game has two different problems with the controls: holding it, and aiming the reticle. which one is bothering you?

holding it can be fixed by using the stand or re-mapping controls. aiming can be fixed by practice or adjusting the reticle options. although if you're having a problem with both, it can take a bit to get used to. i would suggest finding a comfortable place to practice if that's the case, and it'll get easier to play the moment the controls click.

Just noticed your post. The stand has been best for me, but I don't really play my handheld where using the stand even makes any sense. I played on a stool at the bar in the kitchen which was okay, but that's not exactly where'd I'd like to sit while playing this game. The only games I play in the kitchen are iOS time sink games while I wait for range to heat up. I did fix the options for aiming which helped ground play a ton (less swiping to move the camera), but that really doesn't fix the broken ground play for me at all. Controlling the aim, camera, moving, dodging, dodging while attacking.. maybe I'm alone, but it's just a fucking mess. I can get by fine on bosses up to level 5 because you just bullshit your way through it without worrying about. Dodge, dash, dash, aim, fiiiiiiiiiiiiire, dodge, dash, dash... and I say that like I've got some sort of momentum or pattern, but I don't. The controls are a mess, but I can get by.

Hopefully the controls will stick soon. Sorry to be party pooper in this thread :( Gonna get another five chapters or so in by the weekend I'm sure, and as long as the flight sections improve I'll be happy enough. I've yet to try multiplayer, but I'm not exactly looking forward to it since it's all ground combat.

Boogiepop

Okay, I'm annoyed.

Assuming I'm correct about it BEING the final boss of the final level, the game can't be finished by anyone with typical color-blindness.

This is aggravating.

I'm in chapter

This means I can't beat the game. It is literally impossible for me to beat the game.

, I can't very well anyone to spot the colors for me in a high-speed action title, and there is no distinguishing characteristic aside from color.)

I just did it, and I THINK they are slightly different sizes/shapes, at least from what I saw offhand in doing it. They also seem to mostly come out as clumps of the same colors together, and he honestly doesn't seem to keep it up for terribly long, so once the difficulty drops enough you could probably just muscle through.

Sucks to hear that that's making it so much of a pain for you, though.

Jintor

Fuckin' BEAM CLAWS are the SHIT. AWW YEAH.

Gotta figure out what to make to always get them and then manipulate stats like crazy.

DDayton

I just did it, and I THINK they are slightly different sizes/shapes, at least from what I saw offhand in doing it. They also seem to mostly come out as clumps of the same colors together, and he honestly doesn't seem to keep it up for terribly long, so once the difficulty drops enough you could probably just muscle through.

Sucks to hear that that's making it so much of a pain for you, though.

Well, it would seem to eliminate my chances of ever beating the level at more than an intensity of 2... which is a shame, after the general 5-6 level I've done the rest of the game at.... grrr.

I'm going to have to find some way to distinguish between the colors -- do they appear in a regular pattern? MOST of the game is pattern based as far as enemies go, so I'd have to imagine the beams are as well... can anyone think of a way to distinguish between the two sets of shots OTHER than color? I just dropped 4 intensity levels in a row...

Neiteio

Okay, I'm annoyed.

This is aggravating.

I'm in chapter

You don't need to hit the blue shots to damage him. You don't need to hit any of them. Just fly around them and keep your fire focused on the boss. I just checked this and you still damage him with your normal fire; just avoid the projectiles by flying around them.

DDayton

You don't need to hit the blue shots to damage him. You don't need to hit any of them. Just fly around them and keep your fire focused on the boss. I just checked this and you still damage him with your normal fire; just avoid the projectiles by flying around them.

Oh? That's good... so you can entirely avoid the blue and purple shots?

That improves things a bit -- given what the game tells you, it seemed as though it was -required- that you did, and I thought I was being smacked by extra projectiles whenever I skipped them.

Edit: I just tried this and the blue/purple orbs (whichever they are) split into SMALL orbs when they get close enough, and the small orbs home in on me. Are you SURE you can entirely evade these? Some shots seem to vanish when I shoot them, but generally they seem drawn toward me and impossible to evade.

(Down to 2.2 ... sigh)

Neiteio

Oh? That's good... so you can entirely avoid the blue and purple shots?

That improves things a bit -- given what the game tells you, it seemed as though it was -required- that you did, and I thought I was being smacked by extra projectiles whenever I skipped them.

Edit: I just tried this and the blue/purple orbs (whichever they are) split into SMALL orbs when they get close enough, and the small orbs home in on me. Are you SURE you can entirely evade these? Some shots seem to vanish when I shoot them, but generally they seem drawn toward me and impossible to evade.

(Down to 2.2 ... sigh)
Check around the six-minute mark on this video (everyone else stay far away -- final boss battle spoilers).

Top Bottom