• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Check around the six-minute mark on this video (everyone else stay far away -- final boss battle spoilers).

Hmm. It looks like I merely need to take the damage, dodge (although it looked like the guy was getting smacked by the projectiles), and hammer the boss... although I imagine harder difficulties will require more cycles of this and thus be much more difficult.

(Opens 3DS cautiously...)

(Dies again... but after a bit more time)

It still looks like the guy is getting hammered by projectiles there.

Okay, I'm annoyed.

Assuming I'm correct about it BEING the final boss of the final level, the game can't be finished by anyone with typical color-blindness.

This is aggravating.

I'm in chapter
and playing against what I assume is the final
form of Hades -- when he's tossing blue and purple balls at you.

The problem is that you need to distinguish between the blue and purple shots to damage the boss -and- avoid taking damage; shooting the WRONG color projectile hurts you... very, very quickly.

This means I can't beat the game. It is literally impossible for me to beat the game.

I'm a bit annoyed at the moment.

(What's worse is that this isn't something that can be worked around, at all --
no items can be used in the final battle
, I can't very well anyone to spot the colors for me in a high-speed action title, and there is no distinguishing characteristic aside from color.)

He shoots blue from his left (your right) hand and purple from his right. He also always shoots blue first and then purple and then blue again. Hope that helps.

Hylian7

Hmm. It looks like I merely need to take the damage, dodge (although it looked like the guy was getting smacked by the projectiles), and hammer the boss... although I imagine harder difficulties will require more cycles of this and thus be much more difficult.

(Opens 3DS cautiously...)

(Dies again... but after a bit more time)

It still looks like the guy is getting hammered by projectiles there.

The blue ones are larger than the purple ones, so just shoot the larger ones.

dankir

I hate these controls schemes!!! I'm left handed and have been using my left thumb for movement ever since analog controls were introduced these control options are ass!!!. I have the CPP but theres no dual analog function????

I fucking hate developers who force unconventional control schemes on you! Why are my only choices for movement one cicle pad with the touch screen or buttons or dpad! The 3DS slips off the stands really easily if you have the CPP connected too so that doesn't help either.

Why cant I use the dpad in conjunction with the right analog stick on the cpp? I'll never be able to play with any of these configs.... real unhappy about this shit.

DDayton

After getting knocked down to difficulty 2.0, I managed to survive being hit by every large orb and managed to take him down. This does not bode well for the future.

The blue ones are larger than the purple ones, so just shoot the larger ones.

Larger as in "about twice the size"? When the "large ones" get too close they split into two and pound me -- so I shoot all those and I don't get hit? I thought I was shooting a larger one and it hurt me -- I'll have to check on that.

He shoots blue from his left (your right) hand and purple from his right. He also always shoots blue first and then purple and then blue again. Hope that helps.
THIS might be helpful. I can't test it until my next playthrough, though -- but I do need to write this down.

Darryl

Banned
Hopefully the controls will stick soon. Sorry to be party pooper in this thread :( Gonna get another five chapters or so in by the weekend I'm sure, and as long as the flight sections improve I'll be happy enough. I've yet to try multiplayer, but I'm not exactly looking forward to it since it's all ground combat.

multiplayer helped me out a lot in mastering the controls, it lets you practice without all of the level stress. take a break from the story and just play around in that for awhile, and i'm sure you'll get used to it.

totowhoa

Banned
I hate these controls schemes!!! I'm left handed and have been using my left thumb for movement ever since analog controls were introduced these control options are ass!!!. I have the CPP but theres no dual analog function????

I fucking hate developers who force unconventional control schemes on you! Why are my only choices for movement one cicle pad with the touch screen or buttons or dpad! The 3DS slips off the stands really easily if you have the CPP connected too so that doesn't help either.

Why cant I use the dpad in conjunction with the right analog stick on the cpp? I'll never be able to play with any of these configs.... real unhappy about this shit.

I'm right handed and I figure I would like this game a lot more with a dual stick option. Would have bought the stupid device just for this game too if they'd enabled it. Oh well.

multiplayer helped me out a lot in mastering the controls, it lets you practice without all of the level stress. take a break from the story and just play around in that for awhile, and i'm sure you'll get used to it.

Will do. I was out of town when I played most of the game and I didn't have wifi connection, so I haven't had a chance to give it a go yet. It's unwieldy as fuck, but I can tell I improved over the few chapters that I played, so hopefully it keeps up.

Still no excuse for the controls though

I'm a lefty using the default right-handed controls and I've come to adjust. Give it a bit more time.

branny

Moving with ABXY is personally easier for my brain to adjust to than moving with a right analog stick. Playing the default righty way is also absolutely not an option for me.

Jintor

I kinda don't know if it would have worked out as well but I sure as hell would have liked the option.

Can they patch 3DS games? D:

Still no excuse for the controls though

There's a great excuse: it works out quite well

backlot

Larger as in "about twice the size"? When the "large ones" get too close they split into two and pound me -- so I shoot all those and I don't get hit? I thought I was shooting a larger one and it hurt me -- I'll have to check on that.
Yeah, all the ones you need to shoot are much bigger than the ones you need to dodge.

Netto-kun

Finished the final boss last night, but I still have a bunch of achievements and other contents to unlock. Game is soooo addicting.

I wa referring I how unexpected Pokemon's status as a system seller was.
OK, makes more sense now. But Pokemon is much more accessible imo. I don't think both games have the same mass market appeal. I'd love to be wrong though.

Does anyone else play with the stand? I can play without it, but the stand makes things just right.
When I'm at home playing sitting down, so not very often. Does play good though.

Really having trouble getting into this game. Played through chapter 5, or maybe that's the one I'm on now. Game is okay... I just really am not a big fan of the controls. With the all the action and whatnot I kind of wish the game was on a much larger screen as well. Hopefully it'll grab me soon, because I really haven't been playing my 3DS much at all :/
What helped me with the controls is to have the camera spin option set to very fast (almost completely to the right), have the horizontal reticule speed all the way up and the vertical speed way down. Before that it was hard to control the reticule when doing fast spins due to me just upping the sens to the max everywhere. Just tinker around with the control options.

TDLink

RE: The colour-blind problem with that boss fight.

The orbs -are- different shapes and sizes so you can absolutely experiment and figure out which is the right one you need to shoot to reflect it. The reflectable ones do in fact hurt you if you let them get to close too you by breaking into three smaller balls. The others will hurt you no matter what so don't shoot them and instead just evade. Hope this helps you. To be quite honest purple and blue are close enough in colour to begin with that even as a non-colour-blind person with all the stuff happening on screen that distinction didn't really help. I did it based off of the shapes, which to me were more easily recognizable in the chaos.

totowhoa

Banned
What helped me with the controls is to have the camera spin option set to very fast (almost completely to the right), have the horizontal reticule speed all the way up and the vertical speed way down. Before that it was hard to control the reticule when doing fast spins due to me just upping the sens to the max everywhere. Just tinker around with the control options.

I set my options down one notch from max on horizontal, but I don't think I messed with anything else. i'll be sure to go back in and practice with some other settings, especially in multiplayer.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
How to finish Chapter 1 in 4 min? I ran through on intensity 0.0 and even the flying thing looks like it takes forever

The flying section lasts about the same amount of time no matter what. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) Just kill every enemy as soon as they pop up.

You need to run like a mad man through the ground section. Avoid all enemies and head straight for the boss. When you reach him, go crazy. At 0.0, he should fall in a couple in of seconds. I don't know if cutscenes count against your time, but I skipped them to be safe.

I'd advise using your best ranged weapon. You shouldn't have to melee at all.

I got the achievement on my first try by doing all of that.

Tenck

I've been in love with the music in this game so far.

Also really loving the character models, especially Palutena's.

Jintor

The flying section lasts about the same amount of time no matter what. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) Just kill every enemy as soon as they pop up.

You need to run like a mad man through the ground section. Avoid all enemies and head straight for the boss. When you reach him, go crazy. At 0.0, he should fall in a couple in of seconds. I don't know if cutscenes count against your time, but I skipped them to be safe.

I'd advise using your best ranged weapon. You shouldn't have to melee at all.

I got the achievement on my first try by doing all of that.

I should probably hit tireless the second I hit the ground I suppose

OmegaZero

How to finish Chapter 1 in 4 min? I ran through on intensity 0.0 and even the flying thing looks like it takes forever

Yeah, the only way to make things faster is by using speed power-ups during the ground section.
Superspeed, Lighweight and Tireless should help you breeze all the way to the boss in less then 30 seconds.

Just don't stop to kill enemies.

DDayton

RE: The colour-blind problem with that boss fight.
The orbs -are- different shapes and sizes so you can absolutely experiment and figure out which is the right one you need to shoot to reflect it. The reflectable ones do in fact hurt you if you let them get to close too you by breaking into three smaller balls. The others will hurt you no matter what so don't shoot them and instead just evade. Hope this helps you. To be quite honest purple and blue are close enough in colour to begin with that even as a non-colour-blind person with all the stuff happening on screen that distinction didn't really help. I did it based off of the shapes, which to me were more easily recognizable in the chaos.

I wasn't aware they were different sizes/shapes -- I assumed the small ones were normal death shots and the large ones, which appeared directly after the warning, were the ones of two colors. When I replay the final level, I'll have to try this out.

Croc

Banned
I'm having a ton of fun going back now and trying to complete Palutena's Treasure Hunt. I keep trying to focus on 1 or 2 things at a time since there's so many things, and I usually end up unlocking 3 or 4. My problem was that I always fused my weapons to make everything as strong as possible, so now that I'm having to go back and beat certain chapters with specific weapons, I can't do those right away. But right now I think I'm sitting at about 85/120 for Palutena's.

I think my playtime is a little over 25 hours now too. I'll definitely be playing this for a long time to come. I'd say Uprising has pushed its way into one of my favorite games of all time at this point.

I can't decide between these two:

2c9484bd.jpg

347034b5.jpg

Croc

Banned
I can't decide between these two:

I don't use claws that much so I can't say as for the differences between the two in use, but the second one gets the health +2 and that'd be good enough for me to choose that one.

Although for some reason the way that is worded makes me think that is not just simply "health +2" but some kind of boost you get when your health is full.

God, I really wish it was easier to tell which weapons are actually better, as I have a set of bear claws that do more damage than weapons of other rated higher. I won't bore everyone with the details, but Pandora Claws just popped up as an option, so I'm assuming they're worth more (the game has deemed them to be of higher value).

Edit: Ended up fusing for some Beam Claws, which do less damage than bear claws, apparently, but allow me to move extremely fast with good range. Let's hope it's a worth trade off.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Pushed out my review this morning. It's here, if anybody wants to read.

olimpia84

So far I'm progressing slowly but surely in the single player mode. I just beat chapter
and I think the previous chapter has the best flying section that makes you go 'wow'. Also, I improved tremendously on the MP and got a few first place finishes playing Light vs Dark. I'm still trying to get better though, I still get the feeling that I don't know what the heck is going on very often.

This game is amazing, the replay value is out of this world. One of the reasons why I'm moving so slowly in the game is because I just want to keep replaying some of the older chapters I already completed!

Bumhead

Banned
Agree with the point regarding replaying levels. I've played this for 3 hours and done nothing other than replay the first 2 chapters. The difficulty options in the game are utter genius. Tweaking the difficulty, then going back to do the level again on a higher difficulty, has become a compulsion for me.

Maybe an obvious question, but do you unlock different (read: better) weapons and items at higher difficulties?

alazz

God, I really wish it was easier to tell which weapons are actually better, as I have a set of bear claws that do more damage than weapons of other rated higher. I won't bore everyone with the details, but Pandora Claws just popped up as an option, so I'm assuming they're worth more (the game has deemed them to be of higher value).

Edit: Ended up fusing for some Beam Claws, which do less damage than bear claws, apparently, but allow me to move extremely fast with good range. Let's hope it's a worth trade off.

Likewise. I fused my favorite weapon, a great fiery palms, into some bow that inherited all its bonus and had higher value but its actually much worse on ground and about the same in air. I guess eventually I'll learn all weapon subtypes well enough to know which one is preferable. But, I wish there were an undo.

Much like in The World Ends With You, giving players the option to adjust the difficulty for better drops turns the setting into a meta-game all in itself.

I'm never one to be compelled to challenge myself to a super high level, but the cool weapons and items actually makes me go back, which is rare.

Pushed out my review this morning. It's here, if anybody wants to read.

Good read EatChildren. I never encountered the multiplayer lag, but I'm also in Japan so that's not too surprising to me.

I'm never one to be compelled to challenge myself to a super high level, but the cool weapons and items actually makes me go back, which is rare.

Same for me. I tend to just go through games on easy mode and call it a day.
But man, I've finished level 1 on 8.0 difficulty just in the silent hope of getting some badass weapon.

Sadist

Finished it last night. Amazing game. Allthough I still think the ground controls could have been better, but at a certain point you just roll with it. The zany dialogue makes the game feel more alive and man, I love the fourth wall/videogame references they fling around. Now to complete the game on several difficulty levels.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The game is worth it just for the dialogue. I'd go as far to say it's easily one of the best written and delivered games Nintendo has ever produced. It's so cheeky.

Jintor

It definitely has my favourite cast in a long time. In fact, possibly the most boring cast member is Medusa, which is a tall act for someone voiced by Cree Summers.

Maybe an obvious question, but do you unlock different (read: better) weapons and items at higher difficulties?

Yeah, it all drops at higher intensities.

EatChildren

Hahaha I fucking knew it was Nika Futterman voicing Pandora. All I could think about during that dialogue was "I know that sexy voice...Velvet Velour from Bloodlines?", and bam.

Now I feel less guilty about rubbing one out.

Top Bottom