• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Okay, I'm annoyed.

Assuming I'm correct about it BEING the final boss of the final level, the game can't be finished by anyone with typical color-blindness.

This is aggravating.

I'm in chapter
and playing against what I assume is the final
form of Hades -- when he's tossing blue and purple balls at you.

The problem is that you need to distinguish between the blue and purple shots to damage the boss -and- avoid taking damage; shooting the WRONG color projectile hurts you... very, very quickly.

This means I can't beat the game. It is literally impossible for me to beat the game.

I'm a bit annoyed at the moment.

(What's worse is that this isn't something that can be worked around, at all --
no items can be used in the final battle
, I can't very well anyone to spot the colors for me in a high-speed action title, and there is no distinguishing characteristic aside from color.)

nonononononoo please don't say this is true, i already panicked when the red/green guy came in to play and he's just a minor enemy. oh gawd no.

I've been using the Twinbellows cannon quite a bit in single player, mine has pretty good range on it, but I enjoy arcing shots anyway. Though going from claws to cannon is like slow motion.
Yeah, I've noticed that some cannons fire in an arc while others fire in a straight line. The speed is a bit of a turn-off but I would like to give them a shot sometime just to see what they're like, it seems like it could be rewarding if you get good at arcing your shots from distance.

I'm using a cannon at the moment. But I'm scratching the surface of the game so far and taking my sweet time. I don't have that many weapons yet.
Keep taking your time and playing around with different weapon types, that's one of the most fun parts of the game (not like you needed me to tell you that, though).

Right now my favorite weapons are probably staves, palms, and blades. That basically changes every time I pick the game back up, though. :p

ryushe

You know what just dawned on me, I haven't had this much genuine "I feel like 8 years old and this is the reason I love video games" fun with a game since Bayonetta. That's not all either, both games are actually very similar when you think about it (A deeply satisfying combat system, A shitton of weapons, insane replay value, cheeky story, etc.). And if my avatar is any indication, that's as much praise as I can give a single game.

Darryl

Banned
Does anyone use cannons? I've never even taken one into an actual stage (or MP match) because of how worthless they feel when I'm just trying them out.

Slow movement is just something I can't deal with in this game.

cannons + homing ability are absolutely deadly in multiplayer. rapid-fire, accurate, powerful. if you can get the enemy to leave you alone long enough, that is.

Neiteio

I'll repeat my question: Can everyone check their Music Gallery and see if they've unlocked the Ch.
flight music? And then can you check the Treasure Walls and see what achievement unlocked it? I really want to unlock that tune.

Keep taking your time and playing around with different weapon types, that's one of the most fun parts of the game (not like you needed me to tell you that, though).

Right now my favorite weapons are probably staves, palms, and blades. That basically changes every time I pick the game back up, though. :p

I've spent about half of my paltry playtime in practice mode playing with my weapons. Good gravy I love this game.

There hasn't been a weapon type I don't like outright, but I haven't tried them all yet. I need to start getting more hearts and buying more stuff.

Neiteio

You know what's the best part about Light vs. Dark? When either 1) you hunt down and kill the other team's Pit, who is running like a pussy, or 2) you become Pit and rather than running like a pussy, you kill the shit out of the opposite team.

Seriously, why do people run when they're Pit? Do they not realize they're now incredibly strong? Out-flank your opponents and lay waste to their team.

LOL, reading this over, it sounds so aggressive, lol.

KingDirk

Guys, this game is basically the best thing ever. It's fairly shocking how solid the narrative is, too. Thing feels like it could be an entire season of TV--lots of twists and turns, lovely variety of environments, and great dialog/humor. I've not beaten it yet, but did Treehouse do the localization?

KevinCow

Banned
Does anyone use cannons? I've never even taken one into an actual stage (or MP match) because of how worthless they feel when I'm just trying them out.

Slow movement is just something I can't deal with in this game.

I've been using the Ball Cannon for most of my time with the game. Its rapidfire isn't painfully slow like most other cannons, which is nice. More importantly, its charge shot is INSANE. Ridiculously powerful, kills most single player enemies in one or two shots; crazy range if you can get the arcing down, and the 3D actually helps quite a bit with that; and it goes through enemies, so you can bounce it in front of one dude to hit him, then have it keep on rolling and hit the dude behind him.

Slow movement can be annoying, though. I've been trying to get one with a walking speed modifier.

I do feel kinda bad that I got so comfortable with a weapon so soon. There are so many other weapons that I've barely even touched.

Magnus

So I really like this game so far. But goddamn is it ever uncomfortable after just one level. I'm using the normal control scheme and haven't fiddled with others. I'm using my left hand to hold the system, awkwardly craning my left hand into a hook to work with the L button and of course, using the stylus for more than 5 minutes at a time is a pain in the ass (I don't know why I was thinking this'd be a stylus-free game).

Just gotta get used to it, eh?

Effect

would you guys be okay with some DLC chapters? Adding extra Idols/AR Cards and Weapons

I'd love if they included some but doubting it as Fire Emblem is suppose to be the first retail game to get DLC from Nintendo. Though if they wanted to speed things up for KI I wouldn't be against it. New stages or another mini campaign would be great.

Speaking of Idols. Are there more of of the stage kind? I only have the idol of the city in the first stage. Was hoping I'd get more but haven't yet. Wonder if that is the only one. Is it? Are there others?

I've been using the Ball Cannon for most of my time with the game. Its rapidfire isn't painfully slow like most other cannons, which is nice. More importantly, its charge shot is INSANE. Ridiculously powerful, kills most single player enemies in one or two shots; crazy range if you can get the arcing down, and the 3D actually helps quite a bit with that; and it goes through enemies, so you can bounce it in front of one dude to hit him, then have it keep on rolling and hit the dude behind him.
Interesting, I might have to try that particular Cannon out sometime! It definitely sounds like an interesting and effective way to play the game. I think I need to just embrace the fact that every weapon type can be viable in some way. Now someone just needs to convince me that Clubs aren't worthless in SP...

I felt the same way until I started using the stand. Now I never get any type of hand cramps and the controls feel better and better every time I play.

Also, I would suggest turning the sensitivity way up for the land and air controls and dropping the other slider for land controls down very close to "stop quickly." That particular setup feels great to me.

Chapter

Dude what the fuck?
Just you wait!

Interesting, I might have to try that particular Cannon out sometime! It definitely sounds like an interesting and effective way to play the game. I think I need to just embrace the fact that every weapon type can be viable in some way. Now someone just needs to convince me that Clubs aren't worthless in SP...

I've got nothing, i've taken clubs into the single player twice and it was damn near torturous both times.

I appreciate the suggestion, but it's just not practical. I'm using this like, on the subway and on the go.
Ah, that's a shame. All of my time with the game has been at home on the couch or bed.

One other idea though, do you have some type of bag with you? If you put that in your lap and cross your legs it might help support the 3DS a little more to relieve some of that stress on your left hand.

I've got nothing, i've taken clubs into the single player twice and it was damn near torturous both times.
That's basically how I feel except I couldn't even convince myself to take them out of the practice arena. :p

KevinCow

Banned
Chapter

Dude what the fuck?

Ahahaha.

Yeah.

Yeah.

"Okay, I think I see where this plot is going now -- wait what."

Yeah, I don't know about clubs. I played one level with one and barely made it through. It's a game designed around having a projectile, so not having a reliable projectile is pretty annoying.

Guesong

Not far into the game yet, like Chapter 4, but Chapter 3 boss fight was all kind of funny.

Heckraw...his whole bantering between his 3 heads, and how he's proud of you when you kill him like he is some kind of mentor LOL

Neiteio

So I really like this game so far. But goddamn is it ever uncomfortable after just one level. I'm using the normal control scheme and haven't fiddled with others. I'm using my left hand to hold the system, awkwardly craning my left hand into a hook to work with the L button and of course, using the stylus for more than 5 minutes at a time is a pain in the ass (I don't know why I was thinking this'd be a stylus-free game).

My hand only hurt the first run through the game's story. Now that I'm replaying the story, my hand literally doesn't hurt at all. I have to wonder if when I played through it the first time, if I was tensed up because I didn't know what twists and turns were coming and so I was always on guard. Maybe that caused me to subconsciously grip the system closer/tighter.

On another note, some Smash Bros. ideas:

- Make Pit and Palutena one character you can switch between, Zelda/Sheik-style. They're a team, after all. Like Pokemon Trainer, though Palutena shouldn't be relegated to the background.

- Make Magnus a character, with
restored Gaol flying around zapping enemies
as his Final Smash.

- Make Medusa a playable character. She was in the original and in Uprising. She could fight with her staff, turn enemies into stone and, for her Final Smash,
her monster head flies off and attacks the other players
. Also, we need another non-blonde female character, and she's evil, to boot!

- Make
Hades
a playable character. He could be the strong, dark magic user everyone thought Ganondorf would've been, and look/sound a lot cooler at the same time.

KevinCow

Banned
If you collect loot/hearts in a level and then quit out, do you keep it all or do have to finish the whole thing?

Pretty sure you have to finish.

Also if you die, your loot gets weaker. If you pick up a weapon at the beginning of a level at 9.0, but then die on the boss a few times and get knocked down to 6.0, it'll have the stats it would have if you'd picked it up at 6.0.

My hand only hurt the first run through the game's story. Now that I'm replaying the story, my hand literally doesn't hurt at all. I have to wonder if when I played through it the first time, if I was tensed up because I didn't know what twists and turns were coming and so I was always on guard. Maybe that caused me to subconsciously grip the system closer/tighter.

On another note, some Smash Bros. ideas:

- Make Pit and Palutena one character you can switch between, Zelda/Sheik-style. They're a team, after all. Like Pokemon Trainer, though Palutena shouldn't be relegated to the background.
Palutena needs to be her own character!

Pretty sure you have to finish.

Also if you die, your loot gets weaker. If you pick up a weapon at the beginning of a level at 9.0, but then die on the boss a few times and get knocked down to 6.0, it'll have the stats it would have if you'd picked it up at 6.0.

Assy

Neiteio

Palutena needs to be her own character!
Actually, yeah, you're right. I think there's merit to making Pit/Palutena like Zelda/Sheik, but if it went this route the two couldn't be onscreen at the same time without one of them being an alternative color. Two separate characters it is, then!

And HA at the reactions to where the plot goes in Chapter
. If you think that's crazy, I'm eager to hear what you'll think three chapters from there...

Wholeheartedly agreed. I never thought he could give the Disney equivalent a run for its money (see
Hades
in the Disney movie
Hercules
), but somehow, he did.
"Pretty Palu-TE-na, oh pretty Palu-TE-na!"

Oh, and you gotta love his wish to
revive the girl's parents he killed in a chariot accident when he was distracted doing his hair: "We'll bring them back and make them RICH, like rolling-in-the-dough RICH. Then we'll slap a crown on 'em and everyone will live happily ever after."

Its a pretty great villian but dont exaggerate
Disney's Hades is better and thats probably because Kid Icarus' Hades is basically a tribute. This Hades doesnt have as many exposition to be as good villian, even if he has some great quotes.

Finally got this game today and played through the first two chapters. It's fun! I'm still getting used to the controls though. When I tried playing multiplayer against a bot, it completely slaughtered me. Oh well, I'm sure I'll improve. Anyway, the dialogue is great and I'm really enjoying the fusion stuff. Lots of nice little touches too, like pushing around menu items. Originally, I had pretty much no interest in this game, but this thread made me pick it up and I'm glad for it.

What are the chances we get a patch to play this with dual analog on the CPP? I can't get these fucking controls down :mad:

Play the whole game at 2.0, it'll be second nature by the end, and then you can crank up the difficulty and you'll earn better rewards because you'll have everything unlocked.

What are the chances we get a patch to play this with dual analog on the CPP? I can't get these fucking controls down :mad:
I would say something very close to 0%. Keep at it, you'll come to grips with it in time. Also, as I mentioned earlier, try playing around with the sensitivity settings and change the camera to "stop quickly" if you want to try that out.

Tom_Cody

OK, makes more sense now. But Pokemon is much more accessible imo. I don't think both games have the same mass market appeal. I'd love to be wrong though.
I have been thinking more and more that we might see a Pokemon-esque mini sequel to this with expanded multiplayer options, ect.

I damn near bankrupted my heart supply purchasing some tasty Raptor Claws, Finally I have claws with good melee on them!

Certain types of weapon aren't available until they are unlocked through the challenge wall right? if so it would be nice if such information as what task unlocks what weapon were available, I want to see some new weapon types but the barrage of challenges leave me at no clue of where to begin, well except the star sign themed chambers.

eXistor

As much as I wanted CCP controls at first, I really get that the game wouldn't be the same with them. This is a game that you need to master, every day I play it I become visibly better at it and the controls, even though my wrists still get kinda sore after a while, are becoming second nature.

Anyone else finding the game way easier to play in first-person mode? Seems dodging incoming fire is easier to judge.
I tried it for about 5 seconds before switching back. It was scary. I guess it was just too different compared to what I was used to? I'd imagine you could get pretty decent playing that way, though.

ryushe

As much as I wanted CCP controls at first, I really get that the game wouldn't be the same with them. This is a game that you need to master, every day I play it I become visibly better at it and the controls, even though my wrists still get kinda sore after a while, are becoming second nature.
TESTIFY!!

*raises hand in praise*

salpa

Banned
In Chapter 3...

Did anyone else play this multiple times and notice the Hewdraw boss changes his saying after you defeat him?

First time, he said he was proud of me.
Second time, he said he had something to tell me, but died before he could.
Third time, he told me he was too pretty to die.

Anyone else notice this?

Busaiku

In Chapter 3...

Did anyone else play this multiple times and notice the Hewdraw boss changes his saying after you defeat him?

Anyone else notice this?

It's probably because of the order you took out each of the heads.

Tom_Cody

In Chapter 3...

Anyone else notice this?

It's probably because of the order you took out each of the heads.
I tried killing them in order in successive playthroughs and I was not able to get a specific 'last breath' for the specific heads. I think its just random.

Murrah

Banned
Pretty big story spoilers:
Was anyone else as sad as I was after the three year time jump/Palutena turned evil stuff? I was so used to her and Pit's banter that I felt genuinely lonely without it. And even though Viridi's pretty cool too she was no Palutena replacement. It's actually pretty impressive, it's the first time a game's ever made me feel like that

WallJump

Banned
Anyone else finding the game way easier to play in first-person mode? Seems dodging incoming fire is easier to judge.

I would think melee combat (my favorite) would obscure the view of other oncoming shots. But if you're a range character I can definitely see the advantage.

Neiteio

Pretty big story spoilers:
Was anyone else as sad as I was after the three year time jump/Palutena turned evil stuff? I was so used to her and Pit's banter that I felt genuinely lonely without it. And even though Viridi's pretty cool too she was no Palutena replacement. It's actually pretty impressive, it's the first time a game's ever made me feel like that
Yeah, that plot twist made me sad too. :( I thought it was very cool, though, how
Pit had to decide between Palutena and humanity -- and chose humanity. In other words, he loves Palutena but he's a truly good guy; who won't let his adoration of someone blind him and cause him to do bad things. If she was going to hurt the people, he was going to stand up to her.

ryushe

Oh.... wow.... chapter
qqmiigy92qu.jpg

Top Bottom