• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

So... who wants to help me round up some of the peeps we know play KI:U for a hopeful better next week?

I mean come on these CPUs actually play the game properly instead of button-mashing so they're OP. D: DODGING PROPERLY IS BULLSHIT

I just finished the the campaign for the for the first time. Kid Icarus: Uprising has got to be one of the best games i have ever played. That or the funnest. Ether way i'm going to keep on playing it over and over again. i was only able to beat it on avg 6 or 7 intensity so here i come 8-9 that's next.

Just everything about this this game was charming. It took time to get used to but the control scheme is fantastic ( i just rolled with default ). The dodge mechanic in the game is the coolest thing ever! I fell so cool when i do it to, and sometimes i do it by accident. Then i just smile to myself and say "oh i planed to do that". That and i cant even count how many times this game made me laugh. The dialog between Pit and the gods or the dialog between the gods and themselves was so enjoyable to listen to. but i'm going to guess i missed something so i cant wait to play it again and listen to them all talk. Just every thing about this game was well polished and well thought out. So thank you Sakurai for making an experience I well never forget.

So I am thinking of buying this but have some questions:

- Where can I see the Kid Icarus animation videos on my 3DS?

- Should I care about that stand thing the game comes with (debating going digital or spending $5 extra for retail)?

- Is multiplayer still active?

weaKwillO

- Should I care about that stand thing the game comes with (debating going digital or spending $5 extra for retail)?

- On Nintendo Video app thing occasionally and that's about it. Otherwise you would just watch them on Youtube.

- No, the stand isn't necessarily helpful so you should be fine to go digital.

- Multiplayer online is still pretty active.

Hope I helped :)

Elija2

- Do you mean the anime shorts? I don't know if you can watch them on your 3DS anymore. I think you used to be able to watch them on Nintendo Video but they were probably cycled out (only 4 videos are available at a time for some stupid reason). Maybe they're on the eShop?

- I don't use the stand and neither does my brother (I have an XL and he has an OG 3DS). Some people complain about getting hand cramps without it, but I've never had a problem playing the game. I don't think you need it.

- Multiplayer is surprisingly still active.

Thank you. I was thinking about getting the game here, but then again it is Ebay which has been known to have fake copies. I kind of lean retail in case I want to sell the game when I'm done with it.

Does the game ever go on sale on the eShop?

Anteo

I'd recommend the stand just in case. While I have no problems playing without it, a lot of people do have problems and you could be one of them.

And no, I dont remeber this game ever going on sale

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Yeah KI:U like most ninty games never goes on sale. I'd recommend snagging it used off ebay if you can that's how I got mine for 25 bucks.

Probably one of my favorite games of all time well worth it.

PS: I'm a lefty

entremet

Beat it.

Lovely game. I think I'm going to call it quits, though. I know there's tons to do, by my backlog calls. Best 3DS game by far. I would love another. We'll see.

Richie

Just got back to play this game after months (more than a year perhaps?) of ignoring it. Had left at chapter 9, but replayed the first seven chapters to recall the story bits. Pretty fun dialogue, and slowly getting used to the ground controls.

But the real reason why I'm posting here, is because I want to give props to whoever managed to sneak "Pit Stain" into the game. I LOL'd at the fact that this had found its way into a Nintendo game.

Chunky

Anyone going to be playing tonight? I'll be hanging around for another couple of hours and then again a bit later tonight.

Don't curse me to randoms and bots gaf!

Gazoinks

You know, no one told me going into this how completely bonkers this game is. I'm on Ch. 15 and
am currently fighting aliens, accompanied by the ridiculously boisterous sun god?
Alright! :D

Awesome game so far, glad I got talked into grabbing it during the sale.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Any tips on how to not fucking suck ass? The air battles are fine but I am having a ridiculously hard time adjusting to ground controls. Like, dying-on-ch4-at-1.0 bad. I'm getting really tired of repeating air sections to have another go at land.

I've fucked around with so many configurations in practice and it seems like moving to buttons for movement and stick for aiming (inverted vert) might get it feeling okay but for some stupid reason you can't set separate controls for air and land sections so I'd have to switch every single level.

Though, even then, that is just a guess for a solution because it has the Star Fox-style loose reticle aiming that only turns the camera when it touches goes to the edge of the screen. It's super awkward for me, being used to every other action game in the world sensibly keeping the reticle in the center and having aim/turn completely in sync.

Regiruler

Any tips on how to not fucking suck ass? The air battles are fine but I am having a ridiculously hard time adjusting to ground controls. Like, dying-on-ch4-at-1.0 bad. I'm getting really tired of repeating air sections to have another go at land.

I've fucked around with so many configurations in practice and it seems like moving to buttons for movement and stick for aiming (inverted vert) might get it feeling okay but for some stupid reason you can't set separate controls for air and land sections so I'd have to switch every single level.

Though, even then, that is just a guess for a solution because it has the Star Fox-style loose reticle aiming that only turns the camera when it touches goes to the edge of the screen. It's super awkward for me, being used to every other action game in the world sensibly keeping the reticle in the center and having aim/turn completely in sync.
Is your reticle speed at close to maximum?

Also: dodge.

Regiruler

Does anyone know how weapon status infliction bonuses stack with a weapon's inherent capabilities, I.E. a Burning Palm with +2 burning? Does the +2 burning give it a better chance to burn than a non-burning weapon with +2 burning, or is the weapon's natural ability forgotten?

Anteo

Does anyone know how weapon status infliction bonuses stack with a weapon's inherent capabilities, I.E. a Burning Palm with +2 burning? Does the +2 burning give it a better chance to burn than a non-burning weapon with +2 burning, or is the weapon's natural ability forgotten?

Pretty sure it stacks, eye track orbitars with homing +3 are the scariest thing ever

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
I love this game!

Anywho if anyone wants to hit me up for MP just PM me. I got a "Ruby aka 10,000 player kills" and some change. PM me and ill send out my friend code.

Edit: Proof that i love this game. I just bought a second game that is factory sealed . Never opened. And I have never been so happy before and I don't know why. Maybe because it is super rare to get this game factory sealed anymore. I couldn't for the life of me find one any where.

Now that I have the new 3ds I started playing my favorite 3ds game again. I always play with 3d on and the eye tracking 3d on the n3ds is making this game such a joy to go through again.

Love it!

TheMoon

Now that I have the new 3ds I started playing my favorite 3ds game again. I always play with 3d on and the eye tracking 3d on the n3ds is making this game such a joy to go through again.

Love it!

I plan on doing this too. Also wondering if the slight size increase with the N3DS will make it a bit more comfortable to hold/play.

JCho133

Thinking about picking this up, and I recently just upgraded to the N3DS XL from my old 3DS. I assume multiplayer is still active since there was a post about 6 months ago that said it still was?

Korosenai

Thinking about picking this up, and I recently just upgraded to the N3DS XL from my old 3DS. I assume multiplayer is still active since there was a post about 6 months ago that said it still was?
I loaded this game up last night for the first time in months and found a match in a couple of seconds. No lag, and still a blast to play.

Korosenai

If anyone wants to get a Kid Icarus multiplayer group going tonight, i'd love to play. I haven't played Kid Icarus with gaffers in a very long time.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Got this as soon as I got my new 3DS. I'm on ch24 now and it's been a fun ride. Some quick impressions.

- Game looks really gorgeous in places, especially the air battles.
- Air battles are consistently the most fun segments to play, there's always a slight disappointment when the land part starts.
- Some land segments tend to drag on a bit too long. Even though I've gotten used to the controls (thumb strap works wonders) L+ stick to dodge doesn't always feel 100% right.
- I hate the few segments that require precision movement on Pit's part. Case in point: the wind room in ch19. The only time I got really frustrated while playing the game. Pit will start dashing when you don't want him to. The movement controls feel terrible for anything that requires precise movement. Another example is an early chapter where you have to stay on a platform. Even a slight nudge will set Pit into dash or run, and you immediately fall off.
- Difficulty system is genius. A great way to approach challenge, and offer rewards and replayability. More games need to copy this.
- Weapon fusing is another fun element, I've already spent ages on that fusing screen.
- I need to listen to the entire OST again, there were some tracks during gameplay I really loved.
- The banter during gameplay is fun and light-hearted, but I'm glad they apparently included an option to turn it off. Will come in handy if I want to replay chapters. I'll have to look up who wrote the English dialogue.
- Post 5.0 intensity is pretty insane! I'm still trying to beat the first chapter on 9.0. A few hits and you're done. I'm ok in the air, but on land I lack confidence.

This really is a very polished game with lots of replay value. I was wondering though, is there any reward for beating the levels on higher intensities other than better weapons? I don't think there is.

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
Got this as soon as I got my new 3DS. I'm on ch24 now and it's been a fun ride. Some quick impressions.

- Game looks really gorgeous in places, especially the air battles.
- Air battles are consistently the most fun segments to play, there's always a slight disappointment when the land part starts.
- Some land segments tend to drag on a bit too long. Even though I've gotten used to the controls (thumb strap works wonders) L+ stick to dodge doesn't always feel 100% right.
- I hate the few segments that require precision movement on Pit's part. Case in point: the wind room in ch19. The only time I got really frustrated while playing the game. Pit will start dashing when you don't want him to. The movement controls feel terrible for anything that requires precise movement. Another example is an early chapter where you have to stay on a platform. Even a slight nudge will set Pit into dash or run, and you immediately fall off.
- Difficulty system is genius. A great way to approach challenge, and offer rewards and replayability. More games need to copy this.
- Weapon fusing is another fun element, I've already spent ages on that fusing screen.
- I need to listen to the entire OST again, there were some tracks during gameplay I really loved.
- The banter during gameplay is fun and light-hearted, but I'm glad they apparently included an option to turn it off. Will come in handy if I want to replay chapters. I'll have to look up who wrote the English dialogue.
- Post 5.0 intensity is pretty insane! I'm still trying to beat the first chapter on 9.0. A few hits and you're done. I'm ok in the air, but on land I lack confidence.

This really is a very polished game with lots of replay value. I was wondering though, is there any reward for beating the levels on higher intensities other than better weapons? I don't think there is.

Beating any level on 9.0 is an award in it self! Everything little moment is intense.

Top Bottom