• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

PK Gaming

Oh

my

god.

Viridi is just the cutest thing ever.

Just so you know guys, this game's plot starts picking up during the later chapters. Plot twists up the a$$ (good thing)

EDIT: Agreeing with S. Alberto, this game is the 3DS' swan song.

I am genuinely surprised by how good this game is.

The controls are eccentric as fuck and Sakurai definitely should have included a bounding box aiming option, but the actual game design and presentation is top-notch.

If you can get past the controls - wait, no let me rephrase that. You can get past the controls, but if you can hold on until they click, then this is absolutely the 3DS's killer app.* Way moreso than OoT3D, Mario, Mario Kart, or Resident Evil.

*This does not apply if you are a bitter husk. If you have a jaded mentality, this game will not change that.

If you had told me a year ago, hell three months ago, that a Kid Icarus game would have been this good, I would have laughed in your fucking face. But, well, here we are.

Neiteio

The final battle of the game... The REAL final battle... is so utterly fantastic. I just rewatched it on YouTube and am now tempted to boot up the game and see what the highest difficulty level I can clear it on is. One chapter-long all-aerial boss fight, with like 10 phases across three locations. Damn.

Also, one choice piece of dialogue I loved:
"Pit!" "Hades!" "Pit!" "Hades!" "PIT!" "HADES!" "PIT!" "......Hades?"

backlot

The power up items you bring with you have a huge impact on how you're doing. I'm still a little slow in picking up where to use each one, but I have gotten used to always placing a landmine in the doorway behind me and it's been a huge help.

Invisibility is also essential if you play Angel in an evasive fashion.

Healing blows though. It heals a small amount and does it slowly, I found it's easier to just spot some food on the floor and make a mad dash for it.

Yeah I gave up on healing. It's just such a weird shape and it doesn't fit with any of the other power ups. Is anyone else using super armor though? I'm really liking that a lot.

The power up items you bring with you have a huge impact on how you're doing. I'm still a little slow in picking up where to use each one, but I have gotten used to always placing a landmine in the doorway behind me and it's been a huge help.

Invisibility is also essential if you play Angel in an evasive fashion.

Healing blows though. It heals a small amount and does it slowly, I found it's easier to just spot some food on the floor and make a mad dash for it.

I recommend Tirelessness.
This is the one of the most useful abilities in the game because it allows you to dash infinitely ; you dodge almost all enemy fire and move around the map very quickly.

Jeez, Pit is such a butt monkey in this and Palutena is a jerk. (Chapter 3 spoilers)
Leaving some girl to die and spraying pheromone on the kid? Not something a goddess should be doing.
I love it.

Neiteio

Jeez, Pit is such a butt monkey in this and Palutena is a jerk. (Chapter 3 spoilers)
Leaving some girl to die and spraying pheromone on the kid? Not something a goddess should be doing.
I love it.
Wuh? I don't recall the first part of your spoiler.
Are you referring to Gaol in the previous chapter? If so, keep playing...

JazzmanZ

This game.

THIS GAME.

I had my doubts in Sakurai, SSBB was great but suffered from a shitty adventure mode and his Kirby outtings were great, I thought he'd do a bang up job with a KI revival on the 3DS, touted as a launch game at some point.

But after defeating Medusa this game became GOTY for me automatically and thats something I very seldomly do, only other instances going toward Portal 2, SMG2 and Batman arkham city.

Sakurai single handedly was able to bring back a dead series, give it an expanded mythos, and make a whole bunch of new characters you'd wish were playable in SSB.

Now lets see what he'll do with SSB4.
In Sakurai I trust.

Teknoman

Magnus better be in SSB 4. I could see him being another heavy character. Pit has to make a return now though, which I have no problem with whatsoever.

Neiteio

This game.

THIS GAME.

I had my doubts in Sakurai, SSBB was great but suffered from a shitty adventure mode and his Kirby outtings were great, I thought he'd do a bang up job with a KI revival on the 3DS, touted as a launch game at some point.

But after defeating Medusa this game became GOTY for me automatically and thats something I very seldomly do, only other instances going toward Portal 2, SMG2 and Batman arkham city.

Sakurai single handedly was able to bring back a dead series, give it an expanded mythos, and make a whole bunch of new characters you'd wish were playable in SSB.

Now lets see what he'll do with SSB4.
In Sakurai I trust.
I just want to make sure you know this:
Medusa's defeat is only the beginning.
It keeps going and going and going, and only gets more awesome.
There are 25 chapters!!

Neiteio

Magnus better be in SSB 4. I could see him being another heavy character. Pit has to make a return now though, which I have no problem with whatsoever.
I can see Palutena, Magnus, Medusa and
Hades
all having a shot. I'd personally love the last one. Palutena HAS to be in, though. Simply change Pit's Final Smash to the Three Sacred Treasures or
the Great Sacred Treasure
and Palutena will be free for inclusion as a playable character. And maybe when she and Pit are on screen at the same time, they can initiate a conversation sequence similar to Snake's codec trick in Brawl. :p

Neiteio

I think it's neat that
Gaol
appears to be healed and good again but still in control of her cursed powers in Chapter 24. Could make for an interesting character in future sequels if they wished to expand on that.

A total Metroid moment when her identity was revealed. :p

Teknoman

I think it's neat that
Gaol
appears to be healed and good again but still in control of her cursed powers in Chapter 24. Could make for an interesting character in future sequels if they wished to expand on that.

Looking at all the other references in the game, thats probably what they were going for. I really like the 8-bit flashbacks for main enemies as well.

One question, dodging in flight mode only moves you from one end to the other right? I dont think it shields you from attacks.

Also can you only have one power activate at a time?

sfried

I want to see Pit fight Travis Touchdown in the next Smash Bros.

Great Sacred Treasures versus Glastonbury, followed by "Let's do this!"

sfried

Disappointing. I far prefer passive powers over active ones :<
I think it was for balance issues that they made all powers active, otherwise the tense moments in singleplayer/multiplayer would be broken because the player can just run and dash anywhere with tirelessness equipped.

I for one am glad they sorta denied people from getting passive powers.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Yeah, weapons more powerful weapons effect your teams life meter more than weaker weapons in Light vs. Dark.

I think I'm explaining this poorly...

I notice that in Free for All, your life meter changes based on the weapon you are carrying -- I've seen some folks with relatively short "full" meters, others with longer ones.

I don't think this happens in Light vs. Dark -- in LvD, does everyone start with the same size life bar (individual, NOT team), or are life bars dependent on weapons?

Holy crap. If you have a ton of weapons and are trying to fuse them, HIT X TILL ITS SORTED BY CATEGORY

Sooooooooooooooooo much more organized.

Wuh? I don't recall the first part of your spoiler.
Are you referring to Gaol in the previous chapter? If so, keep playing...

Oh, I'm sure it didn't actually happen, I just find it funny the way she said it and
teleported Pit while running toward Gaol in an attempt to help her.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Mmm. Multiplayer is so fun. Light vs Dark being my preference. It's very easy to grind for hearts and weapons this way too, and really obtain some powerful stuff early on.

hatchx

Banned
Ahhh, just beat chapter
. This game is so awesome. I'm going back to levels on 5.5+ and just killing it.

This game might be one my favorite games ever.

Jintor

How can I watch the animated things? They on the eShop? Nintendo Video has like one of them but I can't browse for crap on that thing.

So Chapter
. I feel like I just warped into Super FX chip world o_o.

EXACTLY!
That's what I LOVED about that chapter. So awesome :D

How can I watch the animated things? They on the eShop? Nintendo Video has like one of them but I can't browse for crap on that thing.
They are on Nintendo Video but only one part at a time.
Here in Europe we only have the CG short, sadly.
I wanna see the anime short, too :(

M-PG71C

I've had this game since launch and I just now got to really play it. One word: Crack.

I'm really loving it, I had faith it would turn out well lol

I think it's neat that
Gaol appears to be healed and good again but still in control of her cursed powers in Chapter 24. Could make for an interesting character in future sequels if they wished to expand on that.

Not trying to be rude but you really need to watch what you're saying and spoiler tag more. You have consistently through this thread spoiled things for me that I didn't want to know. They may seem minor to me but considering how many twists and what not are in the story I'd prefer not knowing how many chapters there are. On top of other things. I get you're excited but in the future could you be more mindful as to what you're leaving uncovered. I'm considering maybe just holding out on this thread until I finish the game.

The M.O.B

Using powers is so annoying.

If you use the D-pad you have to stop moving and take your eyes off the top screen while you select the one you want.

If you use the powers on the bottom of the touch screen you have to take your eyes off the top screen.

Is there any other way to select them? Im using circle pad and styles controls.

Top Bottom