• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Anyone else think that offering hearts to the goddess might actually just do nothing?
Late game spoilers:
I offered a bunch of hearts to Viridi while Palutena was gone but as soon as Palutena got back my counter was 0 again. If offering does actually do something then whatever offering to Viridi does would appear to be completely missable.

You can switch back and forth in the Hidden Options menu.

Sapiens

I've added everyone on the Google-Doc - add me if you're into really swell swap note drawings...

Really starting to dig this game. It took a DSiXL stylus and some headphones, but i got there.

It's a neat little cart.

Croc

Banned
Jesus christ I just got 2184 points in a multiplayer match with my Skyscraper Club. People just kept running at me in a line and I just kept getting OHKO's on all of them.

I prefare the methodical gameplay of the flying sections of Star Fox 64 better than the flying sections of Kid Icarus.
Dont get me wrong, the setpieces, movement in all direction and backgrounds are amazing (and the music going with the movement just like in a movie), but theres little more than shot all the shit that comes to your face.

However I fucking love the ground sections now, and in my replays are the most fun I have in the levels, its very tactical but you also have to be fast, and depending of the weapon the gameplay changes completly.

alazz

So Ancient Staff has ephemeral sustained shots. That's cool. I wish I knew that earlier, because it seems to clean up in flight practice (but mine is too weak to be viable in missions and I can't forge any right now). Anyone try it out in online?

The whole game is one subtle loot brothel, and it's gotta be my favorite loot system hitherto. Everything works harmoniously. Even multi-player seems to balance itself because the drops I get always aid me, whether through fusion or usage. It's a fantastic assortment of hooks and incentives.

The controls without the stand aren't bad at all. I've played all of my online matches without it. The stand is more comfortable, though.

Neiteio

Anyone use Energy Charge as a power yet? I got a lv4 one somehow and used it in practice mode. Your strength slowly rises until after 20 seconds or so, when you go all mini-super-sayan and do something like 180% damage output until something hits you. I bet you could stand outside a mob, power up and wait for it to max out, then just rush in there and shoot/slice (yo dogg) most everything in there before you take a hit.

I'm dying to combo this with invisibility/invincibility/shot reflect of some sort and just wreck face. Problem is it takes up so much room on the grid I wouldn't have room for recovery :-(
"Curse you balanced gameplay!"

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
God every time I think about this game I get this huge grin on my face. Its not just a fantastic game, it feels like the most ambitious innovative game Nintendo's put out since Super Mario Galaxy

WallJump

Banned
"Curse you balanced gameplay!"

Foiled again :-[

In all seriousness I have found this game to be extremely balanced so far, though I admit I haven't played too much multiplayer. Every time I try to come up with something broken I have to give up something valuable, like self-healing.

Robin64

Offering hearts to Palutena does actually bring her closer, right? I haven't tried myself, I don't have enough to spare for that sort of thing, but if it does then there must be an "end" to how much you can offer.

But what could it get? I wonder if it affects the game in anyway, like increases loot chance or something quite subtle.

I wish you could level up the weapon you use in missions. unless I am missing something

I am waiting to hit 100,000+ heart now to buy something over 300 value

not playing multi enough although I know people get great weapons there

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm really surprised and impressed by this game but, man, it's really just not comfortable to play for long sessions (even using the stand). The stylus digs into my finger and it doesn't feel great holding the system. I've started using the face buttons for targeting while running around on foot even.

I don't agree that it's a game looking for a better home, though. The game would have to be slower-paced to reflect the controls if it went the dual analog route. Just look at Lost Planet (1) or Gears -- that's the kind of control scheme you'll get, where you're given a decent amount of freedom w the environment (LP especially with the grappling hook) but the game is slowed down so that people can actually hit each other with gunfire. You could certainly still take a middle ground that still makes melee viable, but we still won't be playing the same game we are now.
Honestly, I think it would play better with the Wii-mote or Move controller. This would have been a perfect Wii title but it makes more sense to release it on the 3DS (from a market standpoint).

Really, now, this game is just Sin and Punishment with Kid Icarus. It could be done easily with analog sticks without sacrificing much.

I'm really surprised and impressed by this game but, man, it's really just not comfortable to play for long sessions (even using the stand). The stylus digs into my finger and it doesn't feel great holding the system. I've started using the face buttons for targeting while running around on foot even.

I have the same finger dig problem I want a thumb strap :| going to order one from Nintendo.com since I cannot find my old one

also a bandade on that spot where it digs helps :)

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Stupid Club Nintendo survey keeps on getting stuck on Step 2 still. Anybody manage to get around that, and if so, how?

massoluk

Banned

Honestly, I think it would play better with the Wii-mote or Move controller. This would have been a perfect Wii title but it makes more sense to release it on the 3DS (from a market standpoint).

Really, now, this game is just Sin and Punishment with Kid Icarus. It could be done easily with analog sticks without sacrificing much.

Where is this free roaming ground mission on Sin & Punishment? I think only mouse can match the speed of this mayhem. Dual analog sticks will definitely sacrifice this. You can't do 180 turn in mere instant with dual analog. I have that quickturn mapped to my down on dpad in KI even.

ryushe

Yep. Let me know how much you sell your consoles for. I may buy one off of you to boot up a fps and make some effortless headshots using those nasty dual analog sticks. Eek.
Shoot, I might as well sell them off. With this game in my possession, all I really need now is my PC, Vita and my beautiful beautiful 3DS! :p

Stupid Club Nintendo survey keeps on getting stuck on Step 2 still. Anybody manage to get around that, and if so, how?
Same thing keeps happening to me. :(

Someone said, in this thread I believe, IE fixes the issue... maybe. Haven't tried myself.

Tenck

555655_261456953941634_100002319956665_552569_1901215514_n.jpg

^^

Just arrived 6 minutes ago. Going to play this all day!

hatchx

Banned
Does anyone else find it irritating that Palutena has the same VA as Lighting from FFXIII? It breaks immersion a bit for me...

No because Lightning is a whiney boy and Palutena is a whimsical sarcastic god.

I didn't even realize it was the same person. Then again I turned FF13 off after about 4 hours.

massoluk

Banned
Does anyone else find it irritating that Palutena has the same VA as Lightning from FFXIII? It breaks immersion a bit for me...

I know exactly what you mean. In one game, she was spewing jokes after jokes in a parody of a game. Then you heard her in Kid Icarus next, man, that threw me out.

Maybe it's because I listened to her being a though, super serious bitch in FFXIII for 60 hours and now she's cracking one joke after another in Kid Icarus, that's a huge contrast.

Salih

only played the first 2 chapters. and then i started to replay them again and again...for the next 2 hours.

THIS GAME! Sakurai :bow

Serious now I want to buy some AR cards yeah I know they are useless but I want to support this game :) so we can get a second one

thread title needs to be changed to THIS GAME |OT| THIS GAME!

backlot

I got three street passes today and for two of them their last played game was Kid Icarus but neither of them gave me any gems! Come on, guys :(

NeoRausch

Ok, i played this game for quite a time now and have seen all kind of crazy shit and all buuuuuut....

i just started chapter
...WHAT THE HELL? I really didn't think a level wwould start like that.
what's going on....huh?

ok folks, i need to play this now!

sakurai catches me again!

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Played the first two chapters today. I really like it, the reticle sensitivity needed tweaking but once I did that it was smooth to play and caused me no problems. Astonishingly the dialogue in the game is excellent, great banter between the characters and it gives the game a unique atmosphere. It's nice that all the Sakurai touches have carried over as well, there's loads of content. It's a great fusion of Starfox 64 and Sin and Punishment with the polish of Smash Bros.

my GOTY so far and i'm only about half way trough. replaying mission after mission and MP too, clocked 15h so far. will atleast tripple that by the time i'm done.

KevinCow

Banned
Where is this free roaming ground mission on Sin & Punishment? I think only mouse can match the speed of this mayhem. Dual analog sticks will definitely sacrifice this. You can't do 180 turn in mere instant with dual analog.

There are people playing and enjoying the game with ABXY to move and the circle pad to aim, or even aiming with ABXY. It would play fine with dual analog sticks.

This whole controls thing is stupid. Here, let me have the last word on it: The controls aren't broken, you can adjust if you give them a chance, and it would be crazy to miss out on the rest of this fantastic game because you don't like them. However, Nintendo really should have included a dual analog CPP option, because there are people who would have preferred to play like that.

There, that's it, the end, that's all that needs to be said on the matter.

Top Bottom