• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Rock calls Justin Timberlake and Jay-Z ticket prices "garbage"

Status
Not open for further replies.

PersonaX

I once spent 80€ or something on a R.E.M. concert ticket, was nice, but nowadays i'd think twice before paying that much. Then i went to see Mono and Mogwai and the ticket prices were around 15-30€ and damn they were good, i take club gigs over stadium any day.

ToxicAdam

What's even more gross is that even at those prices, you still can't get tickets. Scalpers swipe all of them up and then an average joe blow has to pay even more to get them.

I was going to get some Maroon 5 tickets for my wife as a present, but all those tickets sell out and you have to pay 50% - 75% more on stub hub to get a decent seat.

Blader

Most I've ever spent on a concert was $175 for two tickets to Atoms for Peace this September. Which is fucking nuts, but a pretty rare exception for me. Most of the bands I end up seeing are only like 20-30 anyway.

Polari

How do you know how they are doing just because they are working the merch stand though? Makes sense, as you'd obviously sell more merch that way.

Well they did fundraise in order to be able to record that album, and judging from what he says in interviews I don't think Gira's exactly rolling in it. Obviously I can't say for sure though. You're not likely to see Jagger flogging t-shirts at a Rolling Stones gig any time soon.

I'll pay 100 bucks to see a stacked concert with one of my favourite bands, but thats as high as I'll go for a one night show =/

Mesoian

Ticket prices have gotten so high cause thats what they make money on. But yeah come on dudes...be reasonable to your fans.

I love seeing indie acts come around with their low prices in Philly. Recently...

$30 - The XX
$15 - How To Dress Well
$15 - Disclosure
$20 - TNGHT

James Blake is coming next month I think his are $30. I can't see myself ever paying for a huge major act with prices like that. Only mainstream act I'd be interested in seeing would probably be the Rolling Stones, and their prices are nuts too. Thought about seeing them in Philly and I had to pass.

Totally, last 4 shows I went to:

MC frontalot and the Protomen: $20
Aesop Rock: $20
Kid Koala: $20
DJ Shadow: $20

And the Amon Tobin DJ set I'm going to on Friday is $20.

The most I've spent on a concert in the past year was $65 to see Fiona Apple in an opera house, which was terrible because you couldn't really express yourself. Big concert halls only work for orchestral stuff. I only want to see a band in a smaller venue where you can always be in the action if you want to be.

zychi

Banned
These concerts are rare. I personally don't mind spending it when I can get a chance to see a Jay concert. I am sure it will be well worth it. If you ask me though 20$ is too much to sit through an entire set of kid rock.

Jay and Kanye put on a hell of a show. I bought JT and Jayz tix for face value, and know I'm getting my money's worth.

You couldn't pay me $20 to see Kid Rock with the fanbase he brings in, I fully expect someone to accidentally get shot at his concert.

FStop7

Banned
I'll give Kid Rock this much - he has (had?) a HELL of a backing band.

They covered Metallica's 'Sad But True' and nailed that "crunch" sound.

I'd go to a Kid Rock concert if he still has that band with him.

shuri

Banned
I watched this piece on ticket sales, and one of the focus was a Madonna show in montreal, and by running the numbers, they saw that at least 40% of the tickets were 'Pre-sold' to various third parties before the tickets were on sales.

Also, they had an anonymous guy that mentioned how third parties resales sites are running massive botnets to buy tickets and that there was a lot of bs behind ticket sales.

aristotle

So yeah. I don't buy Kid Rock's music anymore but I thought wth. I don't really go out to concerts anymore so I decided to check out the venue stuff. Yeah I think I'll be going now.

Dallas, TX

-Beer Prices
$4 12oz beers will be available everywhere beer is sold in the venue.

-Concession Packages
Special $20 discounted packages. 2 jumbo hot dogs, 2 fries, 2 sodas for $20 AND 4 hot dogs 4 sodas for $20

-Jimmy John’s will be sampling free sandwiches after the show.

-Free coffee after the show!

-Merchandise
There will be $20 tour T-shirts available.

-Parking
Parking is available in the venue lot, no additional charges (the parking fee with ticket covers parking here).

-Show schedule (artist set times are subject to change):
Parking open: 3:00pm
Doors open: 5:00pm
Uncle Kracker: 6:40pm
TBA: 7:30pm
Kid Rock: 9:00pm
Beer Cut Off: 10:15pm
Curfew: 11:00pm

This may sound sarcastic but cheap food, music, and beer? Plus free coffee and food to sober you up for the drive home! Why not?

Hopefully ZZ Top will be at the Dallas show.

Kid Rock seems like a great guy so I'm not surprised by either his stance on ticket prices or the fact that he's friends with JT and Jay Z.

I'd hope that more artists would adopt his ticket price ideals once they reach super stardom but of course, people like money and you can't blame them for that. But I mean.. once you reach JT, Jay Z, Beyonce, etc.. level of stardom you don't need to charge exorbitant prices to make money.

I'd much rather see ticket prices lower and more exclusive merch available only at the venue if these artists absolutely can't part with their profit margins.

overcast

I'd take Kid Rock in concert over both Jay Z and Justin Timberlake every day of the week and twice on sundays.
Lol wat. The other 2 are borderline legends, kid rock makes straight terrible music on the other hand.

He's absolutely correct about ridiculous pricing. Same with The Rolling Stones current concert prices.

FroJay

Banned
I'd take Kid Rock in concert over both Jay Z and Justin Timberlake every day of the week and twice on sundays.

His views and opinions on low tocket prices are fantastic. I dont see how anybody could argue against that.

Agreed, especially with ticket prices for other artists being absurd in many instances.

CloudWolf

Never thought I'd even say this, but I fully agree with Kid Rock. When a single concert is more expensive than most festivals, you know something is terribly wrong.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
This thread afaik isn't about whether or not fuckwits enjoy kidrock's music, it's about asinine ticket prices of popular artists. There's no reason to insult the man's work when he's at least going out of his way for his fans.

Galang

Banned
Don't disagree with Kid Rock. For 275 dollars I better be attending an entire festival... $275 for 2 - 3 hours is scary.

I saw Kid Rock on Chelsea Handler's show ranting about this. I don't like his music, but he was really passionate about how ticket prices for concerts are completely out of control now. He specifically pointed out Rolling Stones ticket prices. I gained a lot of respect for him after listening to him talk about it.

Petrie

Banned
Is 90 bad, in your view?

I went to Lady Gaga and paid 90 (general admission). I felt it was reasonable.

$90 for a concert is absurd. I paid that for Gaga because my g/f really wanted to go. Even with those prices for the floor we could barely see and enjoy the show. Absolute bullshit.

Seanspeed

Banned
I dont like Kid Rock much, but thats really cool of him. And on top of the cheap tickets, cheap(er) beer is icing on the cake. He really wants to people to come and have a good time!

So yeah. I don't buy Kid Rock's music anymore but I thought wth. I don't really go out to concerts anymore so I decided to check out the venue stuff. Yeah I think I'll be going now.

This may sound sarcastic but cheap food, music, and beer? Plus free coffee and food to sober you up for the drive home! Why not?

Hopefully ZZ Top will be at the Dallas show.

Wow. That's legit. I've always disliked his music, but mad respect to Kid Rock.

Davey Cakes

I don't go to that many concerts, but when I do they're usually indie acts. Maybe one exception; I think the most I've ever paid is 70-something dollars after fees for a Radiohead concert.

Most of the time it's something like 20-40 dollars though, which is reasonable. The best thing is, much of the time you get into a smaller venue and are able to get reasonably close to the stage.

People who pay big bucks to see a highly-popular artist and sit far back in a giant stadium or worse, on the lawn, are suckers. In my opinion, anyway.

When I go to concerts, it's to SEE the band, not just party in a crowd and look at giant screens of the performance. To each their own, but I think after a point you get less value out of ticket cost.

I like Kid Rock. Admittedly, I haven't listened to him for years, but I still enjoy those songs. And I agree with his stance. I can't fathom paying those prices at all.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Paid $150 to see Jay and Kanye on their WTT tour and I don't regret it for a second. Amazing night.

see5harp

Arena shows should be $20 max to begin with. They all universally suck from my experience. If you want to charge more play a theater show or perform at the level where it would be successful under scrutiny. How Kid Rock would even have the ability to make $50,000 a night to begin with is beyond my imagination.

It costs him $50-100k PER NIGHT? Like him personally or the whole production? Good Lord, how much do these guys normally make for a concert?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom