• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kids under 9 spend more than 2 hours a day on mobile screens, report shows

Which of these electronic devices should children be denied access to?

Results are only viewable after voting.

mrkgoo

I'll take just about anyone's advice on raising kids before Steve Jobs
Really? Why?

I mean I do t really know him, and he probably wasn't a paragon of parenting, especially in his early days, but "anyone's" advice is probably pretty harsh.

I don't see the problem. As a whole, we're generally moving to mobile screens for everything right? I'm not gonna make my kids use landlines and dial up modems because that's what I used as a kid. If you can communicate and learn more effectively using better technology, I don't see the issue.

The issue would then become any addiction to the devices, which is a limitation that could be attached to anything. Just be a better parent and don't plop em down in front of YouTube for 8 hours.

Yeah, I totally let my 1 1/2 year old watch Dave & Ava nursery rhymes on the iPad sometimes.

Btw, for those of us who grew up on Sesame Street, have you seen the more recent episodes? They should just retitle the show Elmo.

Ouroboros

My wife and I already agreed our children won't be using ipads or mobile devices for a least the first few years of their life. They don't need it. Play with blocks.

ZOONAMI

I'll believe it.

My son, if he can get away with it, will have his face buried in his 3DS or iPad. His mom and I are both in agreement (we don't live together) on restricting his time on video games and iPad.

We've got him enrolled in an after school program during the week, so he doesn't get to use his electronics at all much during the week.

After school day care dealy at my elementary school was probably when I played the most gameboy. Yeah if I have kids I probably won’t let my kids bring a gb to school but I’m glad my parents let me.

Scary statistics.

My kid gets no more than half an hour of TV/ game time. She decides how to allocate that time between either of them if not both. She gets to play zero games on a tablet with an online component to it.

I actually have her spend more time researching things on the internet than any of the above.

jrcbandit

Anything non-creative like vegging out to TV or free-to-play crap on Iphones/Ipad is very bad for children development. They need to interact with other kids, do physical crafts/art, sports (probably not american football considering how dangerous it can be), and reading actual books. Like 1 hour of tv/youtube a day at most (more if a movie or a sporting event) and limiting gaming consoles/Ipads to mostly weekends is the way to go.

I have 9&10 yr old daughters and they’ve both been using ipads since they were babies. They have straight As, lots of friends, participate in gymnastics, swim, soccer, and local theater. They do all the household laundry for Christs sake. They can do whatever the hell they want during their free time.

I really dislike parenting by committee. No one knows your children better than you.

Kevyt

I built my 6 and 8 year old matching gaming (budget) PC's, we just skipped the whole mobile thing, and now they are whooping grownups in Paladins (their plastic minds just picked up KBM controls like they were nothing, while I still fumble around in PUBG after decades of console gaming).

Like others, my kids read, do sports, play with friends, do guitar, If they happen to come home from school and play Roblox / Minecraft / Paladins / Youtube etc for an hour until 4pm, then do home work, play, read, go to a sport or an instrument, and managed to somehow squeeze in another hour before bed, so be it.

To me, playing a game that requires thought, or creativity, is far better than watching TV. My kids haven't sat down and watch a TV show / cartoon (they do like outrageous acts of science and some cooking shows like the halloween baking stuff) in I have no idea how long.

That sounds like you are a responsible loving parent! Kudos to you! And Kudos for building your kids (I assume you did it together with them) gaming PC's!

Exposing kids to technology is great in my opinion, it allows their imagination to reach unprecedented levels which is great, creativity and all.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
My wife and I already agreed our children won't be using ipads or mobile devices for a least the first few years of their life. They don't need it. Play with blocks.
no offense to you but do you have kids?
Literally everyone i know that has kids has told me "man i always said i wasn't going to be that parent that lets their kid(s) watch TV/ipad/whatever" and literally every single one of them, after having kids, is like "man, sometimes i just need freaking break, to get anything done" no judgement here, i totally get it.

Anything non-creative like vegging out to TV or free-to-play crap on Iphones/Ipad is very bad for children development. They need to interact with other kids, do physical crafts/art, sports (probably not american football considering how dangerous it can be), and reading actual books. Like 1 hour of tv/youtube a day at most (more if a movie or a sporting event) and limiting gaming consoles/Ipads to mostly weekends is the way to go.
like why is it either or? You dont think kids that are in daycare/school interact with other kids because they have an ipad at home?

RenditMan

Banned
We have been weening our 7 year old off Netflix, and now severely limit screen time. It has had an awesome impact.
Our daughter is now asking us when its time to take the dog for a walk, what can she do to help out around the house, and loves to hang out with us while we exercise.

Some of the shit I see out in public disgusts me. A few weeks back while we were out at a restaurant the family next to us had the kids order then immediately plunked phones in front of them for the duration of the meal [they even watched cartoons while eating].
I actually got a look when I asked them to turn the volume down.

You have no idea what that family does outside the 10 minutes you were there. None.

I'd have told you politely to go forth and multiply.

Well obviously, how else would they get all of Trump’s tweets out on time?

Nah, but seriously I would have spent 6-8 hours per day on my computer when I was that age if my parents had let me. Luckily I also love reading, so my mum drowned me in books. Still played a ridiculous amount of runescape tho.

Top Bottom