• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer In-Sync? (Update: Not really)

Toxi

Banned
I'm wondering how common this is. Hate mail isn't rare for fighting games; if this happens a lot, there are probably some weird conversations where both parties got different results.

Is there a way to test this using a bad Internet connection?

Mystery

WHAT? You get placed against the A.I. sometimes? How are people not lighting their torches right now?

I'm sure all of the competitive and professional fighting game players will have a huge problem with this, but a lot of people who invested into the console and game probably won't want to hear about it and will either say it's not much of a big deal, or deny it happens often enough to be a problem. The point is, the fact that it even happens at all is a problem in and of itself.

mollipen

With the easy availability of video recording built into the console, I want to see people do some testing on this. It should be very quick and easy to see if this is an occasional fluke, or something bigger.

I'd agree it looks more like a desync than actual AI taking over, but at the very least this is uuuuuh....interesting if it's a common occurrence at least.

Tan

Have other games done this or is this a new low?

Pretty sure Brawl replaced disconnected users with AI, but this seems like its keeping track of inputs despite the game desyncing.

Also what happened to the top screen at the end? Is that how the match really ended on his end?

Hmm, this is very odd. I can only speak for myself, but I can 100% with confidence say that about 95% of my online matches I played so far, I can either hear someone breathing, or talking to someone, or noise in the background, or talking to me the entire time while fighting.

Whether this weird sync thing has happened to me the other 5% where I cannot hear anything is anyones guess. Based on my experience, im not bothered by this whatsoever, I know the vast majority of the time I am playing the match is legit.

def sim

But... How do you know?
:p

Haha

We talk to each other and we're experimenting with set ups that wouldn't make a lot of sense if this were how it actually worked. Jumping from the netcode is good to it's the worst thing ever over what seems to be like an exceptionally poor connection between two players is harsh!

vulva

Hmm, this is very odd. I can only speak for myself, but I can 100% with confidence say that about 95% of my online matches I played so far, I can either hear someone breathing, or talking to someone, or noise in the background, or talking to me the entire time while fighting.

Whether this weird sync thing has happened to me the other 5% where I cannot hear anything is anyones guess. Based on my experience, im not bothered by this whatsoever, I know the vast majority of the time I am playing the match is legit.

As you can see, the match does resync throughout the video though, so it's still possible you heard those sounds while a resync issue occurred. Not saying that is what happened, but just saying it's definitely possible.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm not sure why we're assuming that it pits you against the A.I. instead of dropping inputs.

Not saying that's acceptable, but I find it really difficult to believe that the game would switch to A.I. upon desync. That would require conscientious effort by the development team on a flaw that they knew would be easily exposed.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Pretty sure Brawl replaced disconnected users with AI, but this seems like its keeping track of inputs despite the game desyncing.

Also what happened to the top screen at the end? Is that how the match really ended on his end?
Yes, he thought the other dude rage quitted, but the game did that for him exactly when the other dude won on his end. This is hilarious.

sonicmj1

I'm not sure why we're assuming that it pits you against the A.I. instead of dropping inputs.

Not saying that's acceptable, but I find it really difficult to believe that the game would switch to A.I. upon desync. That would require conscientious effort by the development team on a flaw that they knew would be easily exposed.

It's definitely not AI, because AI would at least block sometimes.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Gettin real tired of people not watching videos in OPs. What else could possibly be controlling the opponent? None other than Artificial Intelligence.

... not sure if serious.

It's definitely not AI, because AI would at least block sometimes.

Yeah, I mean, I guess I just don't want misinformation to spread, because if casual players start believing that A.I. takes over, they're believe that this was the development team intentionally trying to sweep something under the rug.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It doesn't pit you against AI, not sure where you got that. But it is fucking strange and my brain can barely comprehend what's happening with the desych stuff.

It does seem to happen with the local replays too. I've atleast seen it going through survival, sometimes I get a fight that plays out differently and messes up but still seems to keep the inputs. So a combo gets missed/blocked and it puts it out of wack, as my character then does random moves from full screen that I didn't do and it diverges from there. Online replays haven't done this for me yet, but it's super weird.

T.O.P

Banned
Hehe, he already had the answer
if true

point is, how common is this?

i just watched some matches i had with perfectlegend online, 1:1 on the twitch archive to what i can see on my uploaded video in Skydrive

Same when i train with buddies online, we can go for hours talking about strategies, combos, counter breaker and stuff, but never saw something like that

Let's not blow this out of proportion too soon

mocoworm

I don't get this though. Is this definitely legit?

If you are in voice comms during a match (which you are) ppl would know if there was a different result. I play friends and we never both win, if you know what I mean.

Something is definitely weird about this. It doesn't add up.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It doesn't pit you against AI, not sure where you got that. But it is fucking strange and my brain can barely comprehend what's happening with the desych stuff.

I got it from the OP, which apparently no one bothered to read. Which is good in this case, since it appears to have misinformation.

Gettin real tired of people not watching videos in OPs. What else could possibly be controlling the opponent? None other than Artificial Intelligence.

The game seems to be recognizing player input, it's just that what's happening on screen isn't the same for both players.

At one point, on the bottom video, a character lands a combo starter and proceeds to complete the combo. On the other player's screen, that character misses the combo starter and then hits the air for a while. lol

This is even worse than what's suggested in the OP. It basically defeats the point of playing the game.

my-brain-is-full-of-fuck.jpg

pa22word

You know what I'm "getting real tired of"? People making smartass posts and talking down to people when they themselves don't even properly comprehend what's actually going on.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Well this is interesting...

At least instead of an article theres an actual video to be used as a visual reference for everyone.

I don't get this though. Is this definitely legit?

If you are in voice comms during a match (which you are) ppl would know if there was a different result. I play friends and we never both win, if you know what I mean.

Something is definitely weird about this. It doesn't add up.

Exactly! There have been so many matches I have played to where me and the guys im playing constantly comment to eachother on eachothers moves almost step by step.

I have been disconnected from a good amount of fights already and all it does is send me back to the lobby.

J10

Banned
Yeah, that doesn't look like AI. It looks like a de-sync. Instead of dropping the connection or attempting to realign, the game just pushes forward out of sync for both players. OP might wanna modify his assessment so people don't come into the thread and get bad/conflicting information.

N4Us

I remember sometimes the whole 'different match outcomes' happened in SF2 HDR, or at least the early days of it. There were a few cases where it was a win on my end and a win on the other player's end. It got pretty awful when I played in an online tourney for it once, and me, my opponent and the judge were all seeing different results.

sonicmj1

point is, how common is this?

i just watched some matches i had with perfectlegend online, 1:1 on the twitch archive to what i can see on my uploaded video in Skydrive

Same when i train with buddies online, we can go for hours talking about strategies, combos, counter breaker and stuff, but never saw something like that

Let's not blow this out of proportion too soon

I don't have any personal experience with KI, so I'm just making conjecture. It's probably pretty uncommon, because it seems like whenever it happens, the match will inevitably fail to end for one of the two parties. People would be bitching about rampant ragequits if this were super widespread.

Still, any time a match fails to end, this is a possible culprit.

No way...Double Helix please get the hell in here and say something. Right now I'm thanking myself for not buying the system for KI like I wanted to.

Copenap

From what I get from this video your 95% could have been exactly what happened in the op.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
From what I get from this video your 95% could have been exactly what happened in the op.

Except on his end the match had a hang up when DSP 'won' on his side. People would keep getting unfinished matches if it was common.

Top Bottom