• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 3 |OT| Super Microsoft All-Star Bros for Xbox One & Windows 10

also RIP in your controller. i playing my fighting games hard and I"ve went through two xbox one controllers because of this game, and smashing the buttons and triggers. lol. i got two controller with right bumpers that are absolutely fucked cause i love my heavy punch.

Is there anywhere I can see hitboxes and hurtboxes? I'd like to see Gargos' wing attacks and portal punches.

Edit: Someone gave me a spreadsheet for frame data earlier, but I can't find it. Anyone have a link? =)

What about number of hits? Is it always 2 on autocombo?

to learn the proper combo breakers is a lot of time unfortunately.

over time you learn what the character is using. I'm sure you will learn what the jags players use and fulgore (it seems everyone still plays as them)

If you're new Jago is a great beginner character. Honestly pick whoever stands out to you as character design. Guys like cinder are very hard to begin with.

I fucking love Eyedol though. The two-headed monster is crazy and so much fun for me!
I'm an advanced player, I just need to learn KI's systems. I'm using Gargos right now. He's a blast! When you get both minions out you feel completely in command of the battle. I saw a combo video using those minions in some Manual combos and it blew my mind.

Speed, animation, and sound.
What about each one is an indicator? Any good tutorials?

also RIP in your controller. i playing my fighting games hard and I"ve went through two xbox one controllers because of this game, and smashing the buttons and triggers. lol. i got two controller with right bumpers that are absolutely fucked cause i love my heavy punch.
Oh I'm using a fight stick. =)

Sydle

Is there anywhere I can see hitboxes and hurtboxes? I'd like to see Gargos' wing attacks and portal punches.

Edit: Someone gave me a spreadsheet for frame data earlier, but I can't find it. Anyone have a link? =)

What about number of hits? Is it always 2 on autocombo?

I'm an advanced player, I just need to learn KI's systems. I'm using Gargos right now. He's a blast! When you get both minions out you feel completely in command of the battle. I saw a combo video using those minions in some Manual combos and it blew my mind.

What about each one is an indicator? Any good tutorials?

Oh I'm using a fight stick. =)

It'll come with practice, but tune in to the tone of the hits, how quickly you're hearing them, watch how fast you're being hit, and watch how your character is reacting. For example, watch how Gargos' arms come apart when he's hit with heavies mid combo versus lights and mediums. Most opponents will mix in heavies to increase their damage, so picking up on what that sounds and looks like is a good thing to look for. I think lights are fairly easy to pick out as well.

You'll also pick up on the animations of other characters and get to know what their lights, mediums, and heavies look like.

Skab

Is there something that can help me determine whether my opponent is using L, M, or H autocombos?

Secret tip, watch how far back your character is recoiling. The further your character recoils, the harder the button you're getting hit with.

You can turn them on in training.

Using a fight stick is way better idea man! Gargos is boss too. You can play an amazing keep away with his punches Teleports and minions. I’ve gotten severe hate messages for being “cheap”

Thanks for the tips.

Can anyone break down Shadow Counters and Counter Breakers to me? I see them happen sometimes, but I don't know how they work or what's causing them.

Shadow Counter is a "reversal" that costs one bar of meter and can only be done when you're in block stun. It's instant and doesn't have any startup but a ton of recovery. EDIT: SHADOW COUNTERS DO NOT WORK ON PROJECTILES, ONLY ACTUAL PHYSICAL HITS.

Basically, if you get hit by any move during the active portion of the shadow counter, you do a particular shadow move of your own (it's always a particular move per character). It's great for situations like multi-hit overheads, normal cancelled into a single hitting special. For example, Orchid and Thunder's overheads both hit twice so if you block the first hit then you can shadow counter the second hit and get a guaranteed combo opener. Same thing for Cinder's DP followup when he's fired up. It's going to come and you can use shadow counter to get a solid combo opener. But it's not foolproof as of course if it doesn't connect you can expect a hefty punish. It can be thrown/grabbed no problem. And it also doesn't work against moves that hit in quick succession. Take Jago for example. I think most if not every character can shadow counter any hit of his Shadow laser sword as it's very slow in between hits. You can't however shadow counter the first four hits of his Shadow wind kick as they hit pretty fast and you'll just get hit so you have to wait for the last hit of his move. This is a viable way to punish normally safe Shadow moves, wait for the last hit and shadow counter, but Instinct (or some characters who can cancel into other stuff) really fuck up this strategy so you gotta stay on your toes.

This can also be used for mixup situations. Imagine a Jago does his Shadow Kick and I'm waiting for the fifth hit to shadow counter it. The Jago player gets a read and cancels into Instinct on the fourth hit. I preemptively did shadow counter so it came out and is gonna whiff but now he's in a perfect position to punish.

You know how you can break combos by pressing the appropriate strength button that the enemy did? Well Counter Breaker allows you to lock out your opponent if they try to break. Basically if you did a heavy auto or a heavy linker which is SUPER EASY to react to and break, then you do the counter breaker. If the opponent tries to break (ANY break, not just the right one. If they guess wrong they still get fucked) then they're locked out of breaking for 4 seconds and you can go ham and do linkers and doubles with no worry since they're locked out. The downside to this is that like Shadow counters, the recovery is VERY high. If I do a heavy double then combo break but the opponent doesn't go for anything, then I'm right in their face and ready to eat a punish. You can combo break after manuals, combo break after air juggles, basically anything after a proper combo opener and the first linker. If you fuck up a combo break in the air or after a full screen hitting attack like Gargos' punches or Glacius's stomps then you're automatically sent right next to the opponent when you're doing the combo breaker so again, you always eat a full punish if you fuck up. It's also why sometimes in high level play, you'll sometimes see players not breaking very clear and obvious heavy linkers.

So if you're constantly getting juggled, know that you can break. Whether it's Sadira doing normals, Thunder constantly doing his Sammamish (DP) with followups, Cinder being an ass or Shadow Jago you have the ability to break and turn the tides.

If this is sounding like a whole lot of mindgames and reads then yeah that's basically what the KI combo system is based on.
Btw, I remember you using ki.infil's site a lot for characters but didn't you go through the system mechanics? They're very well presented. It's a lot of S2 gifs so the effects and such might look different but the main point still stands.

Yes the autodoubles always work with a somewhat fixed speed for most characters. In one of the episodes of The Recipe, TastySteve played against Shin Hisako a character that he said he's never played before but because of his familiarity with the system he could always identify a light/medium/heavy autodouble.

NeoRaider

Got it on Steam but i am kinda confused with all the content. Can someone explain what are Shadow Lords? And other modes? Thanks.

Got it on Steam but i am kinda confused with all the content. Can someone explain what are Shadow Lords? And other modes? Thanks.

Shadow Lords is like a conquest mode for single player. Not unlike modes like the global domination modes present in Command and Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath, or the Dawn of War games.

Basically you make a team of three, and you have battles going on all over the planet of varying difficulty. You keep picking those battles and fighting and sometimes there are triggers where you make choices and stuff. There are also a lot of items to collect, and the mode also has it's own MP mode where you can use said items. Fun at first but gets repetitive fast.

Other than that, you have your standard Survival mode, Arcade mode and VS mode.

For Multiplayer, you have Ranked where you fight against other Steam players. Fairly standard stuff. You also have Exhibition which is basically endless casual mode. You get matched up with an opponent and you have the option to literally keep rematching and playing together until one of you quits. There are also lobbies, again fairly standard stuff.

There's also the Dojo which is the tutorial mode (DEFINITELY PLAY THAT)

Thanks for all the info!

I'm surprised there are no "Missions" to teach some manual combos. But maybe they wanted to avoid that for PR purposes.

Now I just need that frame data spreadsheet...

TheFawz

I'm surprised there are no "Missions" to teach some manual combos. But maybe they wanted to avoid that for PR purposes.

I'm not sure what you mean by avoid it for PR purposes, but the likely reason there's no in-game tutorial is because it's changed overtime with patches and is now a mostly universal mechanic.

As always refer to the Infil guide for reference, which has a page on Manuals, but here's how it works:
"Fortunately, you don't need to memorize a bunch of frame data to perform manuals in Killer Instinct. Simply remembering the manual restriction rule is enough;
  • Light Linkers lead to Light Manuals
  • Medium Linkers lead to Medium or Light Manuals
  • Heavy Linkers lead to Heavy, Medium or Light Manuals.
The frame data has been carefully constructed to make these rules always true."
There's also the aspect of timing being more generous the higher strength your Linker (Because of longer Hit Stun) and the lower strength your Manual (because of shorter Start-up). So a light linker after a Heavy Linker will be much easier than after a Light Linker.

There's a little more to it too at the advanced level where you can do certain Manuals after Openers, after Auto-Doubles (ie: Light Manuals after Heavy AD), after Shadow Linkers, after certain Enders, chaining Normals and/or Command Normals together, using Instinct and Shadow cancels to go back to neutral to do Manuals outside of the normal restrictions, using projectiles to extend Hit Stun for more Manual options and also using some character mechanics that give them additional frame advantage (ie: Jago's instinct).

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Any word on more Ultimates??

It’s feels kinda odd that some Season 1 legacy Characters like Orchid and Spinal still don’t have Ultimates. I just want one more 5 pack that has them for Orchid, Spinal, Cinder, Kim Wu and Kan Ra.

.la1n

It’s feels kinda odd that some Season 1 legacy Characters like Orchid and Spinal still don’t have Ultimates. I just want one more 5 pack that has them for Orchid, Spinal, Cinder, Kim Wu and Kan Ra.

I am sure they are open to the idea of doing more but I am not aware of them being in active development. IG is currently developing a cross platform original IP and MS has whatever they are doing (cancelling stuff I guess.)

I do believe that if the community continues to show up that they will continue to try and support the game. In that sense I don’t think KI is “done.” There is always a chance for more down the road, including ultimates.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I am sure they are open to the idea of doing more but I am not aware of them being in active development. IG is currently developing a cross platform original IP and MS has whatever they are doing (cancelling stuff I guess.)

I do believe that if the community continues to show up that they will continue to try and support the game. In that sense I don’t think KI is “done.” There is always a chance for more down the road, including ultimates.
Yeah they’ve got a lot on their plate now for sure. Really all I want is those Ultimates (which I think we will get at some point cause there’s a lot of demand) just to round out all the KI1&2 cast having them. I think if we do get them that’s really gonna be it for this game though. Hopefully KI4 is in some type of pre-planning stages.

.la1n

Yeah they’ve got a lot on their plate now for sure. Really all I want is those Ultimates (which I think we will get at some point cause there’s a lot of demand) just to round out all the KI1&2 cast having them. I think if we do get them that’s really gonna be it for this game though. Hopefully KI4 is in some type of pre-planning stages.

I would imagine whenever MS gets around to it's "true" next console it wouldn't be a terrible idea to have KI there.

The thing with KI is having followed along since conception I am not even sure what a KI 4 looks like. The current game is solid, fun to play, great cast of characters, great soundtrack. I almost feel like it would be better served to just iterate on what is there but with a new engine ala Tekken 7.

tsab

Played a little bit the Steam version, I like it so far. Unfortunately I've only did Jago's and Sabrewulf's Ultimate so far but they seem lame in comparison with Rare's No Mercy move's from KI1, but better than nothing I guess. I'd also like Ultimates for the rest of the cast (maybe give a second also?) and maybe Humilation moves to return.

TDLink

A friend of mine just bought this on steam. I have the Windows store version. I heard there is cross play, but is there a way for us to play together? Or am I out of luck unless I rebuy on steam?

A friend of mine just bought this on steam. I have the Windows store version. I heard there is cross play, but is there a way for us to play together? Or am I out of luck unless I rebuy on steam?
You can play together.

https://www.ultra-combo.com/ki-steam-qa/

Q: How can I play with my friends on Xbox/Windows?

A: Cross-Network play is limited to Exhibition, Lobby mode, and Shadow Lords MP, however, you cannot invite friends to compete in Exhibition if they are not on the same platform. The easiest workaround for this is to create a lobby, name it with specific parameters, and have players search for that lobby.

RM8

So I bought this game the day it made it to the Windows Store, and I think it's finally starting to click with me, lol. That being said I think Riptor is not working for me, I'm liking Kim Wu better. Anyway, I'm beyond scrub level and I pretty much want to play it as if it was Street Fighter (sometimes I find myself trying to anti-air with jabs lol). Honestly the combo system is still a mystery to me, and I'm not sure how I can get better at guessing for combo breakers. Anyway, I'm having fun!

image.php
Oh my god.

So I bought this game the day it made it to the Windows Store, and I think it's finally starting to click with me, lol. That being said I think Riptor is not working for me, I'm liking Kim Wu better. Anyway, I'm beyond scrub level and I pretty much want to play it as if it was Street Fighter (sometimes I find myself trying to anti-air with jabs lol). Honestly the combo system is still a mystery to me, and I'm not sure how I can get better at guessing for combo breakers. Anyway, I'm having fun!
You seriously owe it to yourself to try out everybody in the roster and see who clicks with you.

I would never in a thousand years have guessed that the two characters that resonated the most were Orchid and FUCKING GENERAL RAAM. I legit thought that Kan-Ra and Kim Wu would be the characters for me but all the characters in this game are so diverse and offer such freedom in how you can play them that figuring out who to main is often a struggle.

I actually had that similar anti-air jab situation in the first two weeks lol, took a while to stamp that habit out again.

In regards to Combo Breakers, you have to practice. In terms of the "speed" of the normals, everybody's takes the same time. In The Recipe with TastySteve and Sajam, Sajam said that he was playing against a Shin Hisako for the first time but he was breaking her combos like crazy not because he was familiar with the animations but he could tell by the speed.

So recognizing the animations on top of the speed makes it much easier to break and turns it into much more of a mindgame rather than a technical requirement. I had trouble with it at first too but now I rarely have trouble breaking, even against characters that I rarely get to play against.
Oh my god.
Kneel before Ug-Li.

RM8

You seriously owe it to yourself to try out everybody in the roster and see who clicks with you.

I would never in a thousand years have guessed that the two characters that resonated the most were Orchid and FUCKING GENERAL RAAM. I legit thought that Kan-Ra and Kim Wu would be the characters for me but all the characters in this game are so diverse and offer such freedom in how you can play them that figuring out who to main is often a struggle.
It's just heartbreaking that I can't main cheerleader Riptor.

a6f7f5d5ccce91e1b891a6606b02ad203955f1c9.jpg

God Enel

So is any one signing up for evo 2020?

Thinking i'm gonna sign up i'll get stomped but ah well, i do want that lanyard though.

hope they’re going to release a new one for seriesX and pc. Best fighter this gen and so enjoyable to watch. MS could have promoted this shit way more.

Top Bottom