• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killjoys: Season 3 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

GavinUK86

I also hope we see more of Clara; I dig her character and was kind of hoping she (and Alice) would become part of the team.

Sucked that Megaman arm girl didn't stay.

Irisa from Defiance <3 (Stephanie Leonidas)

I think it's a one off because another ex-Defiance cast member was in Dark Matter too.

Anyone have a summary of season 1? I've forgotten a lot of things like the green goop supercomputer or what Amanda Tapping did to Davin.

I went through the Killjoys wikipedia page to remind myself. It's not very thorough but it was enough.

Wow, the new titles are total shit.
So were the old ones, so they're consistent at least.

I think it's a one off because another ex-Defiance cast member was in Dark Matter too.
I think that was more of a happy coincidence. Amanda Tapping was supposed to play that character on Dark Matter but was too busy on the directing side.

But Stephanie Leonidas does have another gig in American Gothic so that still might keep it as a one off.

TraBuch

Banned
Think I'm gonna start watching this but quick question first, is there a boring ass love triangle between the three main characters? Nothing kills a show faster for me than a never-ending love triangle and when I see a show that stars one lady and two dudes, I immediately assume the worst.

Watched the first episode when it aired but don't remember much about it.

Think I'm gonna start watching this but quick question first, is there a boring ass love triangle between the three main characters? Nothing kills a show faster for me than a never-ending love triangle and when I see a show that stars one lady and two dudes, I immediately assume the worst.

Nope, the one with the love triangle is Dark Matter. One of the "main dudes" in Killjoys has a more brotherly role with the woman, so rest easy. The show is not love-free, but it's done fairly well.

Geist-

The real love triangle is between Dutch, John, and Lucy the ship.

Vt6Nkqd.gif

You'd think this would be a joke, but it makes so much sense...

Jackpot

Banned

No, one of the best things about this is that the woman and Quantum Break guy have zero interest in jumping each others bones.

Sojgat

Great episode. Seems like they have a bigger budget this season.

The old intro needs to be brought back ASAP though.

Seems like they have a bigger budget this season.

The old intro needs to be brought back ASAP though.

I was thinking the opposite... the facility Davin was being held at looked more like a dentist's office, and Clara's gun arm had some rather B-tier weapon effects. I'm hoping their budget hasn't been reduced to Dark Matter levels.

I agree on the intro though...it's a bizarre style and doesn't fit the slickness of the show at all.

Sober

I didn't really like the new intro. If they wanted to keep it short for more run time or something they should've just flash the title card with a punk rock guitar riff or something.

The episode was fun. Glad to see the cast again. I want Clara to come back. I mean Fancy came back too! And Pree is amazing.

Geist-

Wait, seriously, am I the only one who thought the new intro was a 100% improvement over S1? I am a huge fan of that art style and the music was actually pretty good imho.

The old intro was something I always skipped.

Sojgat

I was thinking the opposite... the facility Davin was being held at looked more like a dentist's office, and Clara's gun arm had some rather B-tier weapon effects. I'm hoping their budget hasn't been reduced to Dark Matter levels.

I agree on the intro though...it's a bizarre style and doesn't fit the slickness of the show at all.

Effects shots and action choreography looked improved to me, but yeah, I had the same thought about the Arkyn facility looking like an office building.

Jackpot

Banned
Never firing on full-auto is a good indicator the budget is slashed. Gotta hoard those squibs.The fact that not even every semi-auto shot warrants a squib or CGI laser effect makes it all the more telling.

Wait, seriously, am I the only one who thought the new intro was a 100% improvement over S1? I am a huge fan of that art style and the music was actually pretty good imho.

I thought it looked awful.

Don't like the new opening credits at all. The very first thing that struck me about them was that the combination of bright, solid colours and somewhat round shapes makes it look cartoony and "safe," or in other words, completely at odds with the punk feel the show tries to evoke. If they wanted to go the illustration route, I would definitely have gone for a rougher painting style over the vector art they went with.

jdstorm

Banned

No. Love triangle. It feels that way at first but Dutch and Jonny are very Brother/sister and nothing is probably ever going to happen

Although if Jonny gets togeather with the lady doctor that could be awkward

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
What a brilliantly fun, well paced and good looking episode: I even like the new intro.

Feels like the budget has gotten a big boost too, everything felt more legit.

I've heard a few things about this show, gonna try to check it out when I get off vacation. Reminds me that I've gotta catch up with Defiance too...

Enosh

wasn't the biggest fan of the season opening, kinda felt and looked cheap, especially the red 17 base

but really enjoyed this one, especially the running gag of that guy getting his ass kicked by everyone :lol and drowning someone to safe his life is certainly an original idea

jdstorm

Banned
Haven't had a chance to watch S2 yet. But reading up on recaps is making me really excited.

Has this show now become the best Scifi/fantasy show that no one watches? Since person of interest just finished.

Geist-

Haven't had a chance to watch S2 yet. But reading up on recaps is making me really excited.

Has this show now become the best Scifi/fantasy show that no one watches? Since person of interest just finished.
That honor goes to Outcast in my opinion (it's about possession, so it's kind of Scifi/Fantasy). That show is top tier television that almost no one seems to watch. But as far as space shows go, this is pretty underrated.

but really enjoyed this one, especially the running gag of that guy getting his ass kicked by everyone
That was great. It really felt like this episode is when the show really hit its stride, a really good mix of comedy and action.

Ricker

Pretty sure Clara will be back and even be a semi regular,kinda like the gay Bar guy,in the future,too good of a character to waste on just one episode...love this show followed by Dark Matter...even though I dont watch them live,I watch them back to back lol...

Geist-

I liked Clara, I just hope they spend a little more budget on her arm if/when she comes back. It felt like a low-effort prop.

Ricker

I liked Clara, I just hope they spend a little more budget on her arm if/when she comes back. It felt like a low-effort prop.

True but I love that she is 28 % mod I think they said and all,could be a great character if they elaborate on that,with the obvious romance also.

Disgusting episode, but a good one. The hallucination thing has been done to death, yet it still kept me interested. I freeze-framed when the princess got knocked over the head, and it kind of looked like the culprit was the butt of everyone's joke last week, the former bartender that Pree dispatched.

I don't understand why this show is getting so little buzz on GAF. Barely a blip when there's a new episode. How are the ratings this season?

Geist-

What is it about D'avin that I don't like? John and Pawter are great, Dutch, Alvis, and Pree are pretty good, but I find D'avin just...unlikeable. I just can't figure out why.

Good episode, really well-paced and felt like the budget was a bit more up to snuff this week. Kid (I mean, "little people") episodes are always dicey, but the actors all did a good job. I liked the twist at the end to explain big brother's headaches.

I always appreciate the pacing on this show; they don't belabor anything. For instance, they pick up the main kid, and then cut to them in space. No need to show them picking up the two girls. It keeps the plot rolling, and assumes the audience is intelligent to keep up.

soooo

you think they scrubbed the goo of the dead kids out before sticking the other 2 in...

Ugggg. And that poor woman, spending how many years alone in that space station watching over cryo kids. And then when she tries to save one he kills her.

What is it about D'avin that I don't like? John and Pawter are great, Dutch, Alvis, and Pree are pretty good, but I find D'avin just...unlikeable. I just can't figure out why.

I didn't like him at all at first, he's your typical meathead character. But he's grown on me. Sort of a lovable asshole. He's a bit extra pissy this season because he's still in lust with Dutch and she's having none of that.

wtf, am I the only person watching this show? The way it's getting ignored is sad.

This episode was on point. Good mix of action and plot development. Though they jumped between two plotlines it never felt rushed. Scriptwriting on this show is so good. The "meet the parents" schtick was conventional, but they certainly flipped it on its head. The headswap is certainly a sci-fi trope, but I'll admit I'm always a sucker for actors who get to play other characters. I'm glad that we've moved beyond Dutch viewing Khlyen as her archenemy into something with more shades of grey. And Jaqobis has certainly gotten himself in a pickle, but Pawter Simms is such a babe I can't really blame him.

TDLink

I'm watching too. Frankly it's a show that's only "alright". The show seems conceptually strong but the low budget really shows and does somewhat hurt the show. The actors being pretty good is the show's saving grace. This season so far has definitely felt better than the first one but we're already half way done and most of the episodes don't feel like they're really going anywhere. This was definitely one of the best though.

I'm watching too. Frankly it's a show that's only "alright". The show seems conceptually strong but the low budget really shows and does somewhat hurt the show. The actors being pretty good is the show's saving grace. This season so far has definitely felt better than the first one but we're already half way done and most of the episodes don't feel like they're really going anywhere. This was definitely one of the best though.

Well, it's not like we have an excess of great sci-fi on TV right now. Killjoys is by far the best of the bunch. I think the writing is great for an action-focused sci-fi show; the closest I've seen to classic SG-1 stuff in a long time. I also appreciate the well-written female characters, which is something we don't get much. Yeah, the budget is SyFy bargain bin, but I enjoy it for what it is. The show certainly rises above what it's given.

GavinUK86

I'm watching every week too and I agree with everything both of you are saying. It's a super fun ride for what it is. A low budget scifi romp. Completely enjoying this and Dark Matter.

jdstorm

Banned

I think what bothers me about Davin is how entitled and callous he is with others. He's obviously meant to be the brooding bad boy but those characters typically work because they are rebellious, or that they have an obvious emotional weak point. In a "He's an ass to others but his internal self loathing is much higher" type way. This is something Davin doesn't get to play being the rigid military guy that he is. And the lost memories/ptsd stuff doesn't work very well in a present day situation.

Jonny is meant to be the guy who humanises Dav, but he's busy doing that for Dutch, who is similar to Dav from a character archtype perspective. The best person to put Dav with is Dutch, because she's more competant then him, so when she's around you can play up Davs stupidity and blowhard tendencies for comedic effect. However after the fight in season 1 that relationship is going to need a lot of work to repair.

TLDR: Dav is a Soilder/Troubled bad boy and those two archtype are a bad fit... Ie Carth Onasi, Kaiden Alenko, Anakin Skywalker (prequel trilogy not SW:TCW) ect

Geist-

I think what bothers me about Davin is how entitled and callous he is with others. He's obviously meant to be the brooding bad boy but those characters typically work because they are rebellious, or that they have an obvious emotional weak point. In a "He's an ass to others but his internal self loathing is much higher" type way. This is something Davin doesn't get to play being the rigid military guy that he is. And the lost memories/ptsd stuff doesn't work very well in a present day situation.

Jonny is meant to be the guy who humanises Dav, but he's busy doing that for Dutch, who is similar to Dav from a character archtype perspective. The best person to put Dav with is Dutch, because she's more competant then him, so when she's around you can play up Davs stupidity and blowhard tendencies for comedic effect. However after the fight in season 1 that relationship is going to need a lot of work to repair.

TLDR: Dav is a Soilder/Troubled bad boy and those two archtype are a bad fit... Ie Carth Onasi, Kaiden Alenko, Anakin Skywalker (prequel trilogy not SW:TCW) ect

I think you nailed it for me.

Enosh

setting up for an alien invasion?

and god, accidentally killing someone during sex, like he wasn't fucked up before now he will have her on his conscience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom