• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone 3 Beta Details (Starts 10/25, requires PS+, only 10k spots open)

A.R.K

Dubbedinenglish said:
Found this in the KZ3 PSN boards....Not confirmation but split-screen incoming?

ea4.jpg

YES!!!! :D looks like it...hope they have online co-op too. Can't wait for more details and media

Also the recent change log from the official forum sounds very promising. I still has hopes GAF.

That is such an odd way to handle splitscreen. I don't think I've ever seen another game do it like that.

I hope they allow for Halo-ish splitscreen, where they have two 16:9 boxes on top of each other, for optimal FoV. Or at least an option for full horizontal splitscreen. I've always felt vertical to be too constricting.

Cruzader

Banned
makingmusic476 said:
That is such an odd way to handle splitscreen. I don't think I've ever seen another game do it like that.

I hope they allow for Halo-ish splitscreen, where they have two 16:9 boxes on top of each other, for optimal FoV. Or at least an option for full horizontal splitscreen. I've always felt vertical to be too constricting.
RE5 comes to mind...similar but kz3 seems letterbox like split screen.

AAK

I ALWAYS play local co-op vertical splitscreen when offered.

I prefer depth of vision over field of vision.

Rikyfree

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU----

COOP MUTHAFUCKAS!!!!!!!!! OMGHEARTATTACK!!!

Zen

Banned
Violater said:
They would seriously have to nerf the sab class for that to make any sense.

What sort of changes would you suggest. I'd like the reticule to turn red at a farther distance.

Zen said:
What sort of changes would you suggest. I'd like the reticule to turn red at a farther distance.

People are still paranoid about saboteurs because you can't tell the apart from your team mates. When I see a player, I shoot hiim first, then check if he's a sabo or not. This kind of attitude would mean a lot of -500s and a lot of ribbons lost and a lot of rage quits.

Galvanise_ said:
I felt they were taking a step backwards in a lot of areas.

Here's what I would have been happy with:

New maps
New game modes
New weapons
Reduce the controller lag
Reduce the no. of players in a game to 24
Take boost off of the Assault class
Do something with the spawn system.

Now, they did that. But they fucked around with other things that didn't need fucking around with, like player health, recoil, ironsight speeds etc. Really fucking annoying. Map design isn't too smart either.

Thankfully it looks like they've seen sense.

That's just the thing, you want KZ2 with new maps, weapons and some tweaks. I really think the approach they took with KZ3 is the right one, as the game feels fresh. I am still baffled by reaction of many members here. They should have made that "ALPHA CODE" notice a lot bigger. Doesn't really matter, people will see just how much the game has changed when they see multiplayer footage from that latest build and I'm confident that Guerrilla will deliver a fun and balanced multiplayer experience, as much as it is possible with the game's complexity in mind.

JardeL

Lagspike_exe said:
I am still baffled by reaction of many members here. They should have made that "ALPHA CODE" notice a lot bigger.
KZ3 is not a Fall 2011 title. 45 days or so left to fix all bugs / flaws. It doesn't matter if the public beta is ALPHA code or something. They don't have much time left.

Lince

Banned
De-mon said:
But is not fake.

venga hombre cuenta todo lo que sepas... no nos dejes con la miel en los labios !!!!

edit: I went to your forums and read your "they're telling me to keep the hype low on online coop but maybe it will be patched in after the game is released" comment (I'm good at stalking :lol) so we get offline coop but not online due to time constraints, I guess 3D + Move + Multiplayer (with Operations) + offline coop campaign is more than enough anyway. Thanks for the info.

De-mon

theBishop said:
What I'm reading in this thread says split screen, but not online coop. That would be quite strange.

Yep, strange :-( I'm sorry but I will not goin to spill the beans about this or the jungle level :-X

Lagspike_exe said:
That's just the thing, you want KZ2 with new maps, weapons and some tweaks. I really think the approach they took with KZ3 is the right one, as the game feels fresh. I am still baffled by reaction of many members here.

There is plenty of room to make things fresh in the wants list I outlined. Operations feels really fresh and I love it. They've changed around the way we unlock weapons and I like it. I just dislike the arrangement of the weapons.
New maps is a given and they've done that, they are just poorly designed.
They've thrown in Jetpacks which are awesome and balanced.

I don't think the lower health, odd recoil, annoying ironsights speed etc make the game feel fresh. They make the game feel annoying.

There are plenty of things that make the game feel fresh but the overall experience was marred by some poor decisions that look like they'll be sorted.

I'll be gutted if the co-op is not online.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Gawny said:
Only watched a couple minuted but the new fire and explosion effects are absolutely fantastic. I think Sev has a different voice actor too.

EDIT: Holy shit that looked awesome. Much larger scale and more intense looking combat than KZ2. The boss is huge but interactive enough with other troops coming in and a lot of chaos from all angles. Cutscenes looked to be a lot better directed. Really fucking pumped now.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Gawny said:

from the guy who leaked it:

http://www.nextgn.com/2010/12/06/10-minutes-of-incredible-killzone-3-game-play/
Before I continue let me clear a few things up. I don’t need more emails from pissed off bloggers telling me how I unprofessional it is of me disrespecting Sony wishes and breaking the embargo. I am completely aware of what may come my way for doing so and I do not need to be reminded by other bloggers just how unprofessional my actions are. If Sony wishes they can contact me directly. I will not discuss this further with anyone except for Sony. Regardless, do I feel like I am doing something wrong? Absolutely not. I believe gamers have the right to see this footage. It doesn’t spoil anything for them, nor will cause any damage to sales.

Moving on …

What you are about to watch is 10 minutes of game-play footage from Killzone 3. It is a video from anearly E3 preview build of The Reckoning chapter. What makes this footage stand out to me is the incredible Mech Tech you ending up facing – the MAWLR. Some of the lucky gamers who got to participate in the BETA might recognize it. There are no story spoilers. However, the footage is quite epic so don’t watch if you aren’t prepared for it.

I would also like to apologize for the poor quality of video – it’s filmed with an iPhone 4.

ninjas are coming

theBishop

Banned
Gawny said:

Goddamn. Nice touch making the "feet" of the beast move like a backhoe bucket. Killzone consistently does an awesome job making science fiction that feels like a natural extension of our existing military.

And facial animations look significantly upgraded to me.

Edit2, and I like how the firefight plays out totally differently on the 2nd playthrough.

Edit3... oh my fucking christ! This far exceeds anything Sony has promised about Playstation3. If they showed this footage in 2005, no one would believe it.

theBishop

Banned
Always-honest said:
Looks like Guerilla is showing a certain fps shooter dev how a certain level should have been done.

I was thinking the same thing.

Resistance 2, right? Right? Also, imagine if Halo3's Scarab battles were like this!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I don't believe this is an E3 preview build. Didn't that build had "ALPHA CODE" text instead on "PREVIEW CODE"?

Impressed by scale. Not so much by the frame rate at the end.

Grisby

Watched a bit of the above video. Kind of does sound like Sev has a different VA. That sucks, I thought he was the most rounded character (both in voice and personality, well what little there was) in Killzone 2.

Cruzader

Banned
Funny how some moan about how GG put too much media out there(KZ2) and there you have it, you guys flocking to spoil yourselves like KZ2.

ZeroRay

Cruzader said:
Funny how some moan about how GG put too much media out there(KZ2) and there you have it, you guys flocking to spoil yourselves like KZ2.

We are infantile sheep who can't control ourselves so we need GG to keep silent. But some guy broke an embargo so it's not their fault.

Cruzader

Banned
shagg_187 said:
Maybe cause it's not official media from GG?
What I meant is...even if its not official, you guys spoil yourself and then go and complain GG put too much media. KZ2 did have alot of coverage but it was possible to avoid by not looking at leaks or video sites.

Anyhow not gonna click on link. Sadly I now know there is an effing huge robot boss on the beta thread.

reKon

Banned
http://www.gamespot.com/shows/now-playing/?event=now_playing_killzone_320101210

Some nice longer footage of that beta snow level from GameSpot. This SP campaign looks like more fun than the 1st! This video reminded me how brutal the kills are in this game. Helgast are completely shredded by the guns on the jet pack and the platforming element is pretty nice. This game will probably have the most satisfying details ever (loved seeing one kill with the helgast body was getting lit up then his helmet popped off at the end). There are also a lot of melee kills in this game.

I really need to play this one on a big screen

Top Bottom