• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone 3 has over 70 minutes of cut-scenes

faridmon

Huh? isn't that a bit over an hour? How is that a lot of the game is about 10- 12 hours?

Kojima effect have to come close to 4 hours lads...

spats

Pai Pai Master said:
It's been a looong time since I played it but didn't KZ1 have a much higher concentration of cutscenes than KZ2?

It did, but the levels were much, much shorter.

Hopefully it is more paced around the Cruiser level of KZ2, that had the best balance between kinematics and gameplay. Can't wait my body is ready.

dionysus

Yaldog
Does this work like the ESRB? For the ESRB you submit videos of gameplay that represents the worse things that can happen in the game, because the ESRB doesn't actually play the game.

If this is similar, those cutscenes could be of gameplay.

This seems suitable

wpid-fps.jpg

mm04

I play Killzone for the gameplay and the eye candy. I don't find the characters likable at all and Rico just might be my most hated game character yet. By the end of KZ2, I was rooting for Radec. I find Radec more compelling than any of the ISA people. Hopefully, Rico will only be in 5 to 10 of those minutes, and if we're lucky, it will be his death scene :D .

Nizz

Doesn't sound bad to me. I think Killzone has such a rich backstory that to learn more about the politics of the planet Helghan is fine by me. Also would like to see more camaraderie between Sev and Natko and Rico. I just hope Rico doesn't suck in this one.

Cornbread78

As long as there is no 45 min cutscene like in Star Ocean or Xenosaga and they really have a point in the story and are well done, then, I love. Actual story- telling in a shooter, it's a rare thing.

Shurs

Good.

One of the issues that Killzone 2 had was that the story, especially the lore, wasn't fleshed out enough.

Irish

I really don't understand the amount of hate that cutscenes get. I can't be the only one who plays games simply because they have a visual story that lasts more than two hours, can I?

Gameplay is something I trudge through so I can see the next scene/advance the story.

Irish said:
I really don't understand the amount of hate that cutscenes get. I can't be the only one who plays games simply because they have a visual story that lasts more than two hours, can I?

Gameplay is something I trudge through so I can see the next scene/advance the story.

You're not alone.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
If the campaign is a bit longer than KZ2's and the cutscenes are as awesome as they were in that story trailer then this is good news.

Irish said:
I agree on this.
Irish said:
I don't share your views on this.

It does depend on the game though, but if I feel like I'm trudging through the gameplay then I'm probably not enjoying the game at all and would just go play something else.

Irish said:

It always seems to be the reaction when ever something says a game has 'X' minutes of cutscenes, meaning in total. It's like there's this mental block that people have and they can't conceptualise how that's not one continuous 70 minute cutscene, but lots of shorter scenes interspersed amongst the gamplay.

mokeyjoe

Irish said:

What? So you don't actually like playing games? I think you've picked the wrong hobby, game stories are notoriously terrible.

Irish

FunkyPajamas said:
I don't share your views on this.

It does depend on the game though, but if I feel like I'm trudging through the gameplay then I'm probably not enjoying the game at all and would just go play something else.

I guess trudge was a little too strong a word.

What I think I'm trying to say is that I'm less likely to continue on in a game that has no driving force other than the gameplay itself. I mean, I like games that play well, but there also has to be something that makes it worthwhile to continue moving forward other than encountering additions to the gameplay dynamic.

bj00rn_

Banned
FPS shooters: As long as the general rule is that it only happens in the start and end of a level/mission and there's a least half an hour gameplay in between it's not a problem per se. Anything else should happen while the player still has mostly control from his perspective.

cornerman

//simple function

if(gamer = "I like Cutscenes!")
cout << "Enjoy cutscenes!" << endl;
elseif (gamer = "I don't like cutscenes")
cout << "Press button to (tada!) skip cutscenes!" << endl;
else //gamer does not like Killzone series
cout << "GTFO" << endl;

jk...its a forum...hash it out :D

Irish said:
I guess trudge was a little too strong a word.

What I think I'm trying to say is that I'm less likely to continue on in a game that has no driving force other than the gameplay itself. I mean, I like games that play well, but there also has to be something that makes it worthwhile to continue moving forward other than encountering additions to the gameplay dynamic.
Oh, yeah, definitely. I get too hung up on word sometimes, sorry.

I'm the same way, for me a cutscene has always been a reward so I enjoy them. And gameplay isn't always enough for me to go through a game (case in point, the Silent Hill series). So yeah, I agree on that as well. Thanks for clearing it up.

Firewire

Banned
I heard the longest cut scene is 15 minutes. The new girl does a strip tease for Rico, he fucks up and touches her booty, she pulls out a knife and stabs him in the eye. Rico dies! Best cut scene ever in a game. Killzone 3 GOTY '11!

A.R.K

GG better have the 'skip' option there, or else this will be just another bitching point for KZ3 going by this thread.

KZ - 'the most bitched about' FPS :lol

Snuggler said:
if it's gonna be a whole 70 minutes, I expect to see some real character development

Rico needs to go from "holy fuck" to "what the fuck" to "this is fucked" to "fuck this" to "fuck yeah". I want to see some growth this time.
It's still just a shooter, not an RPG. Most of the cutscenes will be explosion related I'm sure.

darkwing

most of the cutscenes will be like an intro for the level, then the result, lets see 3 mins for into, 3 mins for the level ending multiplied by 10 levels = 60 mins already

I bet Rico apologizes to Sev for
fucking over Garza.
I have a feeling everyone's going to like Rico this time around. His hair and overall look is much better this time around. If he say's "time to die" at any moment, all is forgotten for me.

spats

user friendly said:
I bet Rico apologizes to Sev for fucking over Garza. I have a feeling everyone's going to like Rico this time around. His hair and overall look is much better this time around. If he say's "time to die" at any moment, all is forgotten for me.

Rico takes a bullet for Sev in the final scene and he dies in Sev's arms.

user friendly said:
I bet Rico apologizes to Sev for
fucking over Garza.
I have a feeling everyone's going to like Rico this time around. His hair and overall look is much better this time around. If he say's "time to die" at any moment, all is forgotten for me.

I too, have a feeling that we're gonna like Rico by the end of the game. on the other hand, I see potential hate fest for Narville and Jammer. Narville because he looked like getting in your way, Jammer, because there's no place for woman in a Bro's shooter.:lol

cornerman said:
//simple function

if(gamer = "I like Cutscenes!")
cout << "Enjoy cutscenes!" << endl;
elseif (gamer = "I don't like cutscenes")
cout << "Press button to (tada!) skip cutscenes!" << endl;
else //gamer does not like Killzone series
cout << "GTFO" << endl;

jk...its a forum...hash it out :D

nice. :lol

Veelk

Banned
Irish said:

Have you never seen a TV show before?

A.R.K

bhlaab said:
Cool way to spend a ton of money on some shit people will just mash the start button to skip

No story - WTFFFF FUUUUUU the devs, how can they have no story...games need to have a deep story. They should have put more effort (which equals money) into games. F them!!!!

Story - WTFFFF FUUUUUU the devs, how can they have so much story...Why fucking waste money on something that every one would skip any ways....WTF!!!! I hate the devs!!!!

yeah...gamers just like bitching

ViolentP

jmdajr said:
that was like an anime series with an rpg as a bonus.

in all seriousness though, I love the game :)

Me too, actually. I personally don't have any issues against cutscenes. I have a bigger problem with constant interruption of gameplay regardless of flavor.

Rikyfree

A.R.K said:
No story - WTFFFF FUUUUUU the devs, how can they have no story...games need to have a deep story. They should have put more effort (which equals money) into games. F them!!!!

Story - WTFFFF FUUUUUU the devs, how can they have so much story...Why fucking waste money on something that every one would skip any ways....WTF!!!! I hate the devs!!!!

Indeed. I for one welcome our new cut scene overlords. GG, please place at position- ALL OVA MAH FACE.

A.R.K said:

Nailed it. Gamers are the biggest consumer crybabies on planet earth.

Installation time: 10 minutes? FUUUUUUUU WORST GAME EVAR JESUS WHAT WILL I DO FOR 10 GODDAMN MINUTES
Cutscenes that flesh out a barebones story and give meaning to your actions? FUUUUU TOO LONG NOBODAY CARES
Minimal cutscenes? WTF IS THIS LOL NO STORY
Game is 8 hours: FUCK THIS TOO SHORT
Game is 15 hours: FUCK THIS TOO LONG

Varna said:
Damn. That's a lot for a game with a story nobody is going to care about.

So I take it you haven't seen the trailer?

A.R.K said:

It's almost as if different gamers have different opinions! What a phenomenon.

Enosh

Callibretto said:
I too, have a feeling that we're gonna like Rico by the end of the game. on the other hand, I see potential hate fest for Narville and Jammer. Narville because he looked like getting in your way, Jammer, because there's no place for woman in a Bro's shooter.:lol
I quite liked Narville in KZ2, from the trailer there seems to be some general who will be more "in your way (Narville says "general the higs are knocking at our door" at some point in the trailer), don't think there was a general in KZ2, on either side, so new character?

for some reason I also realy like his voice...

and Jammer looks hot, hope she is also actualy usefull, smart and competent ^^

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
This really is not a lot at all. The intro movie is probably 10-15 minutes, the closing credits another 8-10 minutes. 4-5 minutes at the end of each level.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Yoboman said:
It also has those online cutscene things so that'd probably include those

Yep. And it seems there will be quite a few of those, for each map and for each side...

Sounds good. SP is becoming more like a scripted experience in FPS games anyway, sometimes I wish there was a replay mode so I can watch what I just did from cool action angles. Same with UC2, GOW3 and others, particularly QTE events where you are frantic about buttons and dont even look at the action.

Top Bottom