• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone 4 Uses Raytracing For Its Real-Time Reflections

Status
Not open for further replies.
did a search and didn't find anything...mock and lock if old/posted.
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/killzone-4-uses-raytracing-for-its-real-time-reflections/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DDYVcQNgu4Y#

the full presentation has been uploaded. enjoy!
http://youtu.be/_29M8F-sRsU

Blasphemy, how can a PC centric gaming website have a story about a console exclusive title? Did we just enter the dark side of gaming? Well, before jumping to early conclusions, know that we’re simply interesting in the new tech that Killzone 4 is bringing. And since we’ve been covering ray-tracing this whole time, we find it interesting that Killzone 4 is the first title that offers such a feature in a full length title.

What’s also interesting is that this tech will be further used by other developers who create multiplatform games, thus it will be coming to our platform too. Hopefully. So no, we’re not going crazy, abandoning the PC or anything. We’re simply sharing something that most tech guys will find interesting.

During the Digital Dragons 2013 event, Guerrilla Games held a presentation for Killzone 4, in which Michael Drobot discussed about the lighting techniques that will be supported by this PS4 launch title.

Just to clear things up raytracing is used for a lot of stuff....
Collision detection,Ai what ever needs a distance and a direction it will probably use some form of raytracing.

Tripolygon

Banned
Quick slide from the video that was taken off.

ioFqy6M.jpg

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Presumably this is the popular screen space implementation we've been seeing going around recently.

It has nice results.

Violater

I want a full on stealth game where reflections and lighting/shadows serve as visual cues in traversing the environment.

KKRT00

Presumably this is the popular screen space implementation we've been seeing going around recently.

It has nice results.

Yes, its exactly done in the same as in many other games like Dirt 2/3, Crysis 2/3, GW 2 or UE 4 presentations. Of course there are different algorithms for this solution and approximations, but basically its casting rays in visible scene.

For example in Crysis 3 You can change quality of SSR by console command, which affects amount of rays and blurring of reflections. In latest AMD presentation they've even described how many rays CE 3 using, how many they are using in Ruby demo and what do they expect in future

---
One day people will learn to listen to me instead of attacking when I say things SMH & with that said why haven't my rights to make threads been giving back to me?

could Next Gen see 1 of the biggest improvements between console gens do to GPGPUs?

DX11 Real-Time Raytracing Tech Demo Running on a i7 + Radeon 5870

Why would people listen to You when You dont have a clue what You are talking about?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
One day people will learn to listen to me instead of attacking when I say things SMH & with that said why haven't my rights to make threads been giving back to me?

could Next Gen see 1 of the biggest improvements between console gens do to GPGPUs?

Approximate raytrace reflection rendering isn't new, has appeared in high end PC games already, and should be expected on next generation hardware by anybody with their head screwed on.

It's also different to rendering an entire scene and lighting model with raytracing.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I hope GG keeps doing their tech articles like this one over the next few months. I really love the way they demonstrate and explain the stuff. I learned a lot about how devs work on PS3 from their stuff this gen and I hope it continues for PS4.

MarkV

I bet you left that comment on the youtube video too, huh?

Thanks for the news flash.

Nope.
But the article say that K:SF "is the first title that offers such a feature in a full length title" and it's not true.

...And of course everyone with little tech understanding knew this feature from the gameplay presentation, so it's nothing new.

Area lights instead is quite a surprise for me.

Just to clear things up raytracing is used for a lot of stuff....
Collision detection,Ai what ever needs a distance and a direction it will probably use some form of raytracing.

Close, but that is actually raycasting. I can see how you would make that mistake though. I can do, say, 2 or 3 raycasts for a collision check, but I would need many many thousands to millions of rays in a trace to make a physically correct image. Just wanted to clear this up :)

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
To quote myself from the announcement thread. Here are some examples of its implementation in the trailer.

Here are a few more examples throughout the video of the realtime reflections. They are a lot easier to notice when YOU are actually playing as opposed to watching someone play because you are then more cognizant of its reaction to your input. In Crysis 2 is constantly gave me "Wow" moments at the graphics. And it seems KZ SF uses them more liberally.

It really helps give materials a feeling of being seated in the world.

(pardon the low res and compression, just using youtube on my non retina display iPad.)

xJavonta

Banned
Holy shit. It's not necessarily the first time I've heard a game use it, but I never looked at it until now. Beautiful.

Because you don't know what you're talking about approximately 100% of the time

Yes, its exactly done in the same as in many other games like Dirt 2/3, Crysis 2/3, GW 2 or UE 4 presentations. Of course there are different algorithms for this solution and approximations, but basically its casting rays in visible scene.

For example in Crysis 3 You can change quality of SSR by console command, which affects amount of rays and blurring of reflections. In latest AMD presentation they've even described how many rays CE 3 using, how many they are using in Ruby demo and what do they expect in future
I may be incorrect, but raycasting is singular rays. This allows reflections within reflections, which is beyond raycasting?

I may be incorrect, but raycasting is singular rays. This allows reflections within reflections, which is beyond raycasting?

Looks like they shoot a ray and look up the normal at that pixel then shoot another ray and sample the diffuse color and blend with the environment cube map accordingly.

KKRT00

Yes and no if You are talking about ray-marching. Its true that they dont bounce additionally to allow for additional reflections in reflection, but it could be modified to do it. Still raymarching is raytracing technique and Killzone SF doesnt bounce rays, because its not really required for screenspace reflections. In most cases You wouldnt get any reflection withing reflection and even if You do, You couldnt spot it, because it would be too small/blurred/overlapped by something else, but it would increase cost of SSR exponentially.

Some of the reflections are still pre-baked though. Especially the glass material used on the buildings doesn't reflect the choppers etc.

Still looks good of course.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
At the end of the video it sounds like they're using the same raytracing pass to add GI as well.

Crysis 3 already looks better and that came out a few months ago.
This game isn't even out yet and still has a substantial amount of time in development left. While I don't doubt that there are rigs that'll be able to run Crysis 3 with much better IQ than SF, it's a little early to make that call definitively. I think they'll be comparable.

mephixto

Banned
Crysis 3 might have the tech but it is an ugly looking game, I was blown away by Bioshock Infinite. Nothing in Crysis 3 blew me away at all...

I think good art is just as important as good tech

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
They went to town with it too, the reflections were everywhere in that KZ demo, and it looks fantastic in no small part thanks to that. The glass buildings never looked shinier and glassier.

Nice, but what's the point if nobody noticed if when the game was unveiled? Most people weren't blown away by the KZ4 demo.
you are not most people.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Nice, but what's the point if nobody noticed if when the game was unveiled? Most people weren't blown away by the KZ4 demo.

Most people were really impressed. The low quality stream and only posting the gameplay on Youtube has really hurt the tech analysis of the game since there's a lot of subtle things that will be noticeable when playing but are hidden in highly compressed video.

Yes and no if You are talking about ray-marching. Its true that they dont bounce additionally to allow for additional reflections in reflection, but it could be modified to do it. Still raymarching is raytracing technique and Killzone SF doesnt bounce rays, because its not really required for screenspace reflections. In most cases You wouldnt get any reflection withing reflection and even if You do, You couldnt spot it, because it would be too small/blurred/overlapped by something else, but it would increase cost of SSR exponentially.

I don't think I'm following. Isn't ray marching when diffuse/reflection calculated throughout the ray, and not just when the ray contacts an object?

Anyway, the guy mentioned how you can have a "reflection, of a reflection of the sun" and he went even further saying you can have multiple reflections that reflect in a reflection. I suppose they can cast a ray from the reflection to the other reflection, but wouldn't that also half the resolution of THAT reflection? So their "ray tracer" runs in half the resolution, and the second reflection would be HALF of that? Instead if they had a ray that bounced directly to the next reflection, it would be under the same ray tracing pass? Or am I just being stupid?

Lots of question marks here from me lol.

I see comments like this every gen. Launch games always look a ton worse than games coming later in the lifetime.

this really isn't true IMO. When you have a good marriage of tech and art, the game will continue to impress for years to come. Look at Halo on Xbox or PGR3 on Xbox 360....

EVIL

Its a subtle effect. I noticed it when they where showing the demo, but I am not going to make a thread about such a small feature.

when used correctly it really adds to the scene, it helps to ground everything in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom