• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kim Kardashian: Hollywood Projected to Make $200 Million This Year - Analyst

BouncyFrag

The reptilian overlords will soon strike as this is the moment in our pathetic history when we are at our most weakest. My body is ready.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i love how shook everyone gets at stuff like this lolol

this is indicative of a sweeping national sickness.

thanks for destroying games humanity ;_;

Life's a piece of shit, when you look at it.
Life's a laugh, a death, a joke, it's true.

If the PC wasn't doing so well already, this would scare me.

Videogame crash incoming.

Many years from now we'll be talking about an underground trash dump of shopping simulators for 3DS and Kinect similar to that ET stash.

This game is another nail in the coffin for the human race.

I don't wanna live on this planet anymore.

Ban Puncher

UC0P3wA.gif

PS9uhfv.gif

Game Developers faces when this money was in their pockets before.

Can you just imagine? This is just one game. Imagine all the other games also doing this. Im gonna make a dang app game at this point to get that sweet dosh.

Zing

Banned
While the game is free to play, the goal is to get users hooked on in-app purchases such as clothing or a burst of energy needed for traipsing through Hollywood. Users can spend as much as $99.99 for 175,000 virtual dollars. A trip to Beverly Hills costs 4 game “dollars,” while 400 will buy a necklace.

Notice that the goal of the developer/publisher is not to present a unique gaming experience or even a good one, but raw profit. Profit not by creating a game that people genuinely desire to experience, or by selling a complete game, but by getting them "hooked" on microtransactions intentionally created to prey on the weak-willed and only of value because the core gameplay has been hampered for the sole purpose of selling what are essentially cheat codes.

element

this is bizarre! this F2P game comes out of nowhere then suddenly projects 200 mil!

i cant wrap my mind around it
It is just simple math on the amount of potential users.

Considering there are 900 million Android and 700 million iOS devices out there, you really need just a small amount of that to make money. CSR Racing, which is actually a fun game, was making over $10m a month but that is off of 100m downloads.

Traditional gaming platforms just never have this type of install base until much latter in their life cycle.

seeing these things become ultra successful scares me for the future of gaming when it concerns F2P, I know eventually everyone will get tired of that stink and it'll fail...if not there is always PC i guess the last bastion of hope if console convert full on f2p.

I know the mature opinion would be "If people are enjoying the game then good for them", but I'm not feeling that accepting tonight. Fuck this game, and fuck anyone who pays money to it. This is a culmination of the worst aspects of Hollywood, celebrity culture and gaming, and I hope this awful kind of shit dies sooner rather than later.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Notice that the goal of the developer/publisher is not to present a unique gaming experience or even a good one, but raw profit. Profit not by creating a game that people genuinely desire to experience, or by selling a complete game, but by getting them "hooked" on microtransactions intentionally created to prey on the weak-willed and only of value because the core gameplay has been hampered for the sole purpose of selling what are essentially cheat codes.

To be fair, that was a statement made by the Bloomberg journalist, not a quote from the developer/publisher.

That very well might be the goal of Glu, but you'd be better off referencing actual direct quotes when making negative inferences about the developers motivations.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I know the mature opinion would be "If people are enjoying the game then good for them", but I'm not feeling that accepting tonight. Fuck this game, and fuck anyone who pays money to it. This is a culmination of the worst aspects of Hollywood, celebrity culture and gaming, and I hope this awful kind of shit dies sooner rather than later.

+1

This should have been the first and last reply. I'd add to that but it's not worth it.

i'm usually of the "if there's an audience for it, they have the same rights as you to spend their money how they like"

i still feel...saddened doe...

Top Bottom