• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kimishima: Switch won't replace 3DS, there's "many unannounced titles" in development

BiggNife

As a reminder, Nintendo said the DS wouldn't replace the Gameboy Advance.

This is a blanket damage control statement they can fall back on likely because they consider the Switch to be an experiment and they don't want to fully commit to it until it has proven itself to consumers and to themselves

They also had a real successor to the GBA (a Game Boy 64, if you will) in the pipeline in case the DS was a failure. I would not be surprised if we see an actual 3DS successor if the Switch ends up being a Wii U-level failure.

rockx4

Sounds like PR talk for games already in development. There's no reason they'll admit "3DS is being replaced now" while there are games releasing this year. We'll see support end after these titles are released.

Terrell

So much for the full brunt of Nintendo's teams all making Switch games.
I'd bet most of those 3DS titles will be from contracted external studios like Good-Feel and what have you while Switch gets all the internal EPD teams' attention. So that way, they can have both be true for the next year or so.

Madao

remember when the DS and GBA were supposed to coexist side by side?

it will all depend if the Switch takes off or not.

LeleSocho

Banned
Not that i care too much since i'm out of the Nintendo ecosystem but it would be beyond idiotic for them to keep spending resources on the 3DS when the Switch will release.

NSESN

I don't know what Nintendo wants then. If they don't want Switch to replace 3DS why make it portable at all?
I know Pokemon gave it some extra live, but I think the 3DS is pretty much done outside of Japan. Not giving full support to Switch from start goes against all of the unified development philosophy they were promisng some years ago.

watershed

Banned
Makes sense. 3ds software is relatively cheap to make and continues to sell well. 3ds is good business for Nintendo, big install base, continued interest.

VegiHam

So where does this leave the argument that Switch will have tons of games because all development under 1 roof?

Dead. It was always just a fantasy we wanted to believe. Nintendo have repeatedly said it's not happening and we're just not listening.

I'd love to be proven wrong here though.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Of course. If the Switch fails, 3DS can still serve as a saving line for a year or two.

If there are 3DS exclusives from Nintendo in a year and half, they can go fuck themselves.

Pretty much

Most of the games I wanted on WiiU ended up on 3DS. I'm not getting a Switch at launch but part of the appeal of it to me was that it would play *all* Nintendo games

Hearing stuff like this just makes me nervous

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
The only reason I would buy a switch would be because they would stop making 3DS titles and actually promote their new system.

I get why, but I hope this is a temporary commitment. If they insist on continuing to focus on two platforms, or Switch doesn't get ports of all this stuff or something, one of the big theoretical advantages of the system and reasons I had faith in it having a more consistent 1st party library release is out the window.

AntMurda

I'd bet most of those 3DS titles will be from contracted external studios like Good-Feel and what have you while Switch gets all the internal EPD teams' attention. So that way, they can have both be true for the next year or so.

They just released 3 first-party titles from internal sources (Miitopia, Super Mario Maker 3D, and Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome Amiibo). Tank Troopers is also from EPD/Vitei. So I wouldn't say all these new 3DS first-party games are going to be completely from external developers.

The Switch really is just another Wii U...isn't it?

I don't see how they put out that initial reveal video and NOT expect people to think of it as a replacement for the 3DS.

"We have heard speculation that Nintendo Switch will replace the Nintendo 3DS, as both are game systems that can be played outside the home, but Nintendo 3DS has unique characteristics that differ from those of Nintendo Switch."

Yeah, like an actual d-pad.

They also had a real successor to the GBA (a Game Boy 64, if you will) in the pipeline in case the DS was a failure. I would not be surprised if we see an actual 3DS successor if the Switch ends up being a Wii U-level failure.

I wouldn't be surprised if an actual 3DS successor is just a 16nm version of the Switch's hardware crammed into a clamshell design with no dock/joy-cons, a different name, and a lower price

Dead. It was always just a fantasy we wanted to believe. Nintendo have repeatedly said it's not happening and we're just not listening.

I'd love to be proven wrong here though.
In the same breath Kimishima said 3DS support won't immediately go away he just raised the number of Switch games in dev from 80 to over a hundred. Don't talk shit.

Kappa

Trying to compare the ds/gba to the switch/3ds would make sense if the switch could play 3ds games... but it can't, so stop reaching

VegiHam

In the same breath Kimishima said 3DS support won't immediately go away he just raised the number of Switch games in dev from 80 to over a hundred. Don't talk shit.

I'm not talking shit.

Nintendo have never said "all the cool 3DS style games are coming to Switch". We just assumed that was happening. And so far there's no evidence of it happening.

I don't see the next Mario Kart being on 3DS, or the next Smash, or the next Zelda, or even the next Animal Crossing. I don't see 3DS getting any more of these games.

hatchx

Banned
Feels like 3DS hasn't had much of Nintendo's support for 2 years now. It seems like it's localizations, B-tier efforts, and Intelligent Systems keeping the thing afloat. When's the last time EAD put a full-scale effort into a 3DS title?

Sapiens

3DS is going to linger for a while. I'm not buying my kids expensive switches to tote around and pokemon with...`

You'll probably see Switch-Jr with a 239p screen and a foldable makeup design in two years.

Solid Raiden

Neo Member
If they expect consumers to go all in on the Switch then I believe they will have to go all in themselves.
We already won't see good third party support for the system, but we can't even expect 100% of Nintendo's output on it either?

Ugh. I'm starting to doubt my Switch preorder...

DMONKUMA

Could be games that are cross-gen like fire emblem warriors. Next Pokémon and Monstee Hunter could be like this as well.

OryoN

If they want the switch to succeed they seriously should just take the focus on the 3DS away and focus it on the switch.

But they can't simply ignore an active 60+ million user base, especially with no guarantee that Switch will be a success. They did it with the Wii cause the base wasn't very active after a while. Otherwise, these transitions have always been gradual. If Switch quickly gains the kind of traction that would help them better predict/guage market performance over the long-term, then you'll get what you wish for a lot sooner.

I myself - as well as many others - would love when the day comes that Nintendo can focus 100% (barring a few mobile games) of their efforts on one system.

AntMurda

Feels like 3DS hasn't had much of Nintendo's support for 2 years now. It seems like it's localizations, B-tier efforts, and Intelligent Systems keeping the thing afloat. When's the last time EAD put a full-scale effort into a 3DS title?

Nintendo EPD has released Miitopia, Tank Troopers, and Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome Amiibo all within 6 weeks. Super Mario Maker 3DS also (although Nintendo Software Technology did most of the work.)

That's a lot of releases, even if they are B-C scale.

I'm not talking shit.

Nintendo have never said "all the cool 3DS style games are coming to Switch". We just assumed that was happening. And so far there's no evidence of it happening.
3DS style games aren't the things that need to be in the Switch, it's 3DS developers eventually jumping onboard and the potential of Nintendos giant dev staffs eventually concentrating on one console. That's gonna happen sooner or later.

With DQ11 still on the way, it doesn't make sense to back off of 3DS yet.

Has anyone said anything official about Dragon Quest 11 coming to the West yet, or?

And, hoping for a year or so (hopefully two) for the 3DS. Of course it'd be great for the Switch to succeed, certainly, and hopefully that happens, but the 3DS install base is quite big now and like said above it doesn't seem to make sense to lop off support entirely. I'm not entirely convinced by what they say about it being a parallel platform, but then again, there could well be a bunch more stuff for it from E3 so we'll just have to wait and see.

I wonder if Bravely Third will still happen on the 3DS?

That would be fantastic if it happens. Absolutely fantastic.

Top Bottom