• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kimishima: Switch won't replace 3DS, there's "many unannounced titles" in development

Ponn

Banned
They also had a real successor to the GBA (a Game Boy 64, if you will) in the pipeline in case the DS was a failure. I would not be surprised if we see an actual 3DS successor if the Switch ends up being a Wii U-level failure.

Yea, people are going to run out to pay $200 for a portable system that is less powerful than the Switch when the Switch is on the market.

VegiHam

3DS style games aren't the things that need to be in the Switch, it's 3DS developers eventually jumping onboard and the potential of Nintendos giant dev staffs eventually concentrating on one console. That's gonna happen sooner or later.

I hope it's going to happen. That'd be ideal.

But right now our only info either way is that nope, they're still making 3DS games. It's a little frustrating.

gogogow

People really expect Nintendo to ditch the 3DS which has more than 60+m installed base?
The Switch will get all the big games though, which the big(ger) teams are working on. The smaller teams will be working on smaller titles for the 3DS. Switch's popularity/success is still unknown. If the Switch doesn't catch on and Nintendo killed the 3DS, Nintendo will have nothing to fall back to. They are playing it safe. Which is understandable.

3DS style games aren't the things that need to be in the Switch, it's 3DS developers eventually jumping onboard and the potential of Nintendos giant dev staffs eventually concentrating on one console. That's gonna happen sooner or later.
Actually, that's kind of what was appealing about the concept to me. One console where every kind of game was playable. Traditional home console sized games, traditional handheld style games and even bite-sized mobile styled games. Maybe that was just a pipe dream though.

Astral Dog

But right now our only info either way is that nope, they're still making 3DS games. It's a little frustrating.
We have a new mainline Emblem announced for Switch thats a big one.
Games from 3DS developers will take longer because they need to make the jump to HD so we will see Wii U teams first

hatchx

Banned
Nintendo EPD has released Miitopia, Tank Troopers, and Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome Amiibo all within 6 weeks. Super Mario Maker 3DS also (although Nintendo Software Technology did most of the work.)

That's a lot of releases, even if they are B-C scale.

Kind of proves my point thought. Not a single big NEW 3DS release.

The 3DS will get a few more localizations, FE Warriors, and some price drops to push it through 2017, but I bet 2018 it drops like a brick.

The current list of upcoming first party 3DS titles does not tell me the Switch isn't replacing 3DS. By 2018 expect a handful of Nintendo titles at most for 3DS.

AntMurda

Kind of proves my point thought. Not a single big NEW 3DS release.The 3DS will get a few more localizations, FE Warriors, and some price drops to push it through 2017, but I bet 2018 it drops like a brick.

The first-party 3DS release for the 1st half of 2017 is quite capable. Kimishima is then reassuring that there will be more first-party titles announced for the second half and holiday. Meanwhile you have Super Mario Maker and Pokemon sitting in the top 5 for the first month of 2017, while the hardware sells strong.

I also don't think you proved your point. Nintendo just released a ton of first-party games in November and December.

Hattori

Banned
I'm thinking 3DS will finally be relegated to vita status where 3rd party games will be the only ones carrying it when first party dries up

VegiHam

We have a new mainline Emblem announced for Switch thats a big one.
Games from 3DS developers will take longer because they need to make the jump to HD so we will see Wii U teams first

That's true, there's that one.

I just don't wanna see Picross e8 when we could be getting Switchcross

Neoxon

Its not like they're gonna admit that the 3DS is on its way out when they still have 3DS games to sell in light of Sun/Moon moving units.

As for Pokémon Stars, I'd be on Team Cross-Gen if Eurogamer didn't recently double down on their previous report.

asagami_

Banned
Like Pokémon Stars, right?
Yeah I know Eurogamer are confident it will be Switch exclusive, but plans change!

I wouldn't be surprised if an actual 3DS successor is just a 16nm version of the Switch's hardware crammed into a clamshell design with no dock/joy-cons, a different name, and a lower price

Like someone already said, I hope the games be for New 3DS only. It would be great to have crossgen games which will look and run worse, unless they want show how BAD will be the games in a Old 3DS xD

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Why is that frustrating? My 3DS gets to enjoy a longer lifespan.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
In this posters opinion, the 3DS is the greatest system of all time not called the PS2. I full on expect 3DS games clean into 2nd half 2018.

NolbertoS

Just like rhe GBA to DS transition. Nintendo also said GBA games will get tons of love anf bam after a year, they cut if off, but make it BC with DS users to soften the blow. Same thing will happen to 3DS. Its only a matter of time

MoonFrog

That's true, there's that one.

I just don't wanna see Picross e8 when we could be getting Switchcross
Yeah. I definitely get the feeling that Japan is not as on board the Switch as would be ideal; that a slow start could prevent Switch from ever succeeding the 3DS; that Nintendo is sending mixed messages about what the Switch will be, from official statements and their presentations.

And they may be having colder feet on Switch themselves. Or that might be PR. Things like FE Switch suggest the latter: that they are covering their 3rd party partners and their escape route.

Lack of a wealth of games like FE suggests maybe that Nintendo is dangerously underinvested in Switch, and that somehow we ended up with a hybrid through "shared library" thinking that won't have that shared library and instead compete in the portable space against a cheaper, more traditional Nintendo portable (as well as mobile) and in the home console space against entrenched, successful, more attractive to core console gamer systems.

This would be incredibly stupid.

Aaron

I'm thinking 3DS will finally be relegated to vita status where 3rd party games will be the only ones carrying it when first party dries up
I really don't think the Switch will ever replace the 3DS. It's a portable console. Not a handheld. Look at how Nintendo themselves are positioning this thing. The 3DS will go away once there's a true handheld successor, and the Switch isn't it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The title doesn't seem to match the statement at all.

The title says the Switch won't replace the 3DS and there are many unannounced titles in development.

The statement says that they do have "many" unannounced titles in development, but that they are focused on existing IP and leveraging the existing hardware base (i.e. they are done with growth and are now riding it a little longer).

The question isn't "Will the 3DS disappear by March 15th, 2017", it's "Is the 3DS moving into its natural sunset phase, and as it does will it be replaced with a DS3 or will Nintendo move to being a single hardware company?"

Again, at the current situation, it's not feasible to jump ship from the 3DS completely. Companies that already have 3DS games in development for this year have also already confirmed Switch projects already in motion. I suspect that a lot of Nintendo's involvement in its first party 3DS games will largely be relegated to external studios, considering they aren't making new IPs for the most part, but games for existing ones, rather than taking up too much resource away from their own Switch game development.

The well's gonna run dry sooner or later. Switch replaces the Wii U right now, it'll replace the 3DS in the future.

Neoxon

The title says the Switch won't replace the 3DS and there are many unannounced titles in development.

The statement says that they do have "many" unannounced titles in development, but that they are focused on existing IP and leveraging the existing hardware base (i.e. they are done with growth and are now riding it a little longer).

The question isn't "Will the 3DS disappear by March 15th, 2017", it's "Is the 3DS moving into its natural sunset phase, and as it does will it be replaced with a DS3 or will Nintendo move to being a single hardware company?"
That makes more sense. Though if we do get another dedicated handheld, it'll probably be a cheaper version of the Switch.

Thud

My 3DS is getting old, his battery is wearing out and his graphics are terrible. I'm about ready to lay him to rest and move on.

Still gaming on the original 3DS?

I think that piece of hardware is one of the worst things nintendo made.

Peltz

Feels like 3DS hasn't had much of Nintendo's support for 2 years now. It seems like it's localizations, B-tier efforts, and Intelligent Systems keeping the thing afloat. When's the last time EAD put a full-scale effort into a 3DS title?
ALBW?

GLAMr

This doesn't surprise me considering the Switch pricing. The Switch just looks too damn fragile and is too expensive to just lug around or entrust to a young child.

Its rugged clamshell design, huge library and low price make the 3DS a great "shut the kids up on long car rides" option.

I think it's in Nintendo best interest to put everything they have on Switch. The less droughts we have on it, the better. 3DS has a fine library as it is. It's an old platform that's served it purpose. Release some more games for it by all means, but any exclusives feel like a waste at this point. Give Switch the love too.

Hattori

Banned
I really don't think the Switch will ever replace the 3DS. It's a portable console. Not a handheld. Look at how Nintendo themselves are positioning this thing. The 3DS will go away once there's a true handheld successor, and the Switch isn't it.
All handhelds are portable consoles.

GB - NES
GBA - SNES
DS - <N64
3DS - N64>

You're just arguing semantics at this point.

VegiHam

Yeah. I definitely get the feeling that Japan is not as on board the Switch as would be ideal; that a slow start could prevent Switch from ever succeeding the 3DS; that Nintendo is sending mixed messages about what the Switch will be, from official statements and their presentations.

And they may be having colder feet on Switch themselves. Or that might be PR. Things like FE Switch suggest the latter: that they are covering their 3rd party partners and their escape route.

Lack of a wealth of games like FE suggests maybe that Nintendo is dangerously underinvested in Switch, and that somehow we ended up with a hybrid through "shared library" thinking that won't have that shared library and instead compete in the portable space against a cheaper, more traditional Nintendo portable (as well as mobile) and in the home console space against entrenched, successful, more attractive to core console gamer systems.

This would be incredibly stupid.

Yeah, great post! I feel like this may well be the situation though. Nintendo might be kinda stuck here...

Still gaming on the original 3DS?

I think that piece of hardware is one of the worst things nintendo made.

Hahaha yup, I've rode it out this far with my Aqua Blue launch model; and I'm hoping for an upgrade that's a whole generational leap rather than ending up needing an XL to play the next 2D Zelda.

zeromcd73

Will probably be titles like the ones they have announced for it this year. Cheap outsourced D-tier games that heavily reuse previous assets and engines, which is fine since it means all the top teams are working on Switch.

KingV

I expect this is right. 3DS family of devices fill a price point that the switch cannot hit today. My expectation is that a switch variant will eventually replace the 3DS, but it won't be until yields/revisions/price cuts can support a <$200 switch SKU that is primarily mobile focused.

Thats probably at least 18 months away from launch.

Based on earlier statements, I expect Nintendo to have a family of switch devices with a similar architecture but different levels of performance over time. Sort of like the 3DS to New 3DS but perhaps with a bigger gap. In 2 years we might see a switch with more power/higher res/etc but with a version of the current model staying in production as the 3DS replacement. In 6 years, this could add up to a generational gap, but each successive version is more of a hop where the SD systems are broadly cross compatible like PS4 Pro.and PS4 but perhaps with additional bells and whistles.

But... a handheld is a portable console.

Top Bottom