• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kimishima: Switch won't replace 3DS, there's "many unannounced titles" in development

RK128

Well the 3DS is the safety net if the Switch bombs hard after it's launch. So it makes sense for them to have a few 3DS games in production so they can get some console sales while riding off mobile and other ventures outside of gaming.

I'm personally not upset with this (as I have my 2DS still) but I could see this indicating that the promise of 'The Switch has everyone working on it' not being fully true. They likely want everyone working on it internally at Nintendo but they are holding off on that until Year One sales most likely.

After the batch of 3DS games in development for a while (Pokemon Stars, Fire Emblem games, likely another Mario & Luigi game, etc) come out, they will decide if they will drop the 3DS to focus on Switch or let the two co-exist with cross-generation ports (which is happening now, looking at FE Warriors for New 3DS & Switch).

I would be shocked if Pokemon Stars was a Switch exclusive to be honest; if anything we will be lucky if it hits the Switch at all via cross-generation port with the 3DS or New 3DS.

Instro

On a side note, Nintendo was saying the Switch isnot a successor to the WiiU(and 3DS) just a couple months ago. Not sure why people take them so literally.

Filter

The original reason for making the switch platform was to consolidate development from different hardware architectures (3ds and wiiU) into one hardware. To avoid droughts in game releases and to unify game asset development etc.

THATS THE POINT OF NX/SWITCH.

of course they aren't going to instantly drop the install base of million that the 3ds has. But as the price of the switch drops to near 3ds levels, it will be able to take over that space, and then Nintendo development can properly consolidate.

The original reason for making the switch platform was to consolidate development from different hardware architectures (3ds and wiiU) into one hardware. To avoid droughts in game releases and to unify game asset development etc.

THATS THE POINT OF NX/SWITCH.

of course they aren't going to instantly drop the install base of million that the 3ds has. But as the price of the switch drops to near 3ds levels, it will be able to take over that space, and then Nintendo development can properly consolidate.

It's not. The point of the Switch is to replace the Wii U. The whole "consolidate development" was nothing but fan speculation.

Neoxon

It's a Pokémon game that exist on the switch. I'm going to say, "finally, Nintendo has made a full fledge Pokémon game on a console that I've been dying for." But making it seem like one Pokémon game is going to kill the 3DS is over exaggerating the entire situation. That's like saying Poken saved the Wii U. It didn't, it's just one game. The rest has yet to be determined and I'm not putting absolutes on anything.

I get that with the way the Switch was designed, it makes entire sense that Nintendo would just phase it out, but it's not a replacement and it's not a direct successor, point blank period. And until Nintendo says so, then I will believe it.
It's the idea that Pokémon, a franchise that has normally only been on Nintendo handhelds for its mainline entries moving to the Switch, would signal a red flag for the end of the 3DS (and for the record, Eurogamer recently doubled down on their report of Stars coming to the Switch). Even if Nintendo doesn't publicly say that the 3DS is on its way out (why would they, Nintendo still has some games to sell on the system), it's still gonna be winding down for the next year. Fire Emblem jumping ship to the Switch in 2018 is already an indication of this.

Instro

It's not. The point of the Switch is to replace the Wii U. The whole "consolidate development" was nothing but fan speculation.

It's not, but regardless, I'm confused as to how you think this plays out then? 3DS development indefinitely? New "handheld" hardware that does not share games with the Switch? I don't see how you could reasonably explain either of those happening.

I'm sure it will happen but the 3DS is still being sold and produced. They'll be developing on the Switch full time when the 3DS starts winding down.

Ok...?

I feel like some people are being extremely naïve. Makes me wonder if they never experienced a transition from current hardware to new.

I also wonder if they don't get the concept of PR and Marketing in relation to the things that company Execs say.

Sponge

Banned
They said the NX wasn't going to replace the Wii U at one point too.

There will be some more 3DS games but give it a year or two and it'll be done.

Filter

It's quite explicitly stated by Iwata here.
It's possible that there will be a smaller more portable handheld made by Nintendo in the future, but it will use the same chipset as the Switch, or at least a compatible one. They want to consolidate development on to one hardware platform. Like iOS.

question
You have explained your concern about users being divided by hardware. Currently, you have both a handheld device business and a home console business. I would like to know whether the organizational changes that took place last year are going to lead to, for example, the integration of handheld devices and home consoles into one system over the medium term, or a focus on cost saving and the improvement of resource efficiency in the medium run. Please also explain if you still have room to reduce research and development expenses.

Iwata:

Last year Nintendo reorganized its R&D divisions and integrated the handheld device and home console development teams into one division under Mr. Takeda. Previously, our handheld video game devices and home video game consoles had to be developed separately as the technological requirements of each system, whether it was battery-powered or connected to a power supply, differed greatly, leading to completely different architectures and, hence, divergent methods of software development. However, because of vast technological advances, it became possible to achieve a fair degree of architectural integration. We discussed this point, and we ultimately concluded that it was the right time to integrate the two teams.

For example, currently it requires a huge amount of effort to port Wii software to Nintendo 3DS because not only their resolutions but also the methods of software development are entirely different. The same thing happens when we try to port Nintendo 3DS software to Wii U. If the transition of software from platform to platform can be made simpler, this will help solve the problem of game shortages in the launch periods of new platforms. Also, as technological advances took place at such a dramatic rate, and we were forced to choose the best technologies for video games under cost restrictions, each time we developed a new platform, we always ended up developing a system that was completely different from its predecessor. The only exception was when we went from Nintendo GameCube to Wii. Though the controller changed completely, the actual computer and graphics chips were developed very smoothly as they were very similar to those of Nintendo GameCube, but all the other systems required ground-up effort. However, I think that we no longer need this kind of effort under the current circumstances. In this perspective, while we are only going to be able to start this with the next system, it will become important for us to accurately take advantage of what we have done with the Wii U architecture. It of course does not mean that we are going to use exactly the same architecture as Wii U, but we are going to create a system that can absorb the Wii U architecture adequately. When this happens, home consoles and handheld devices will no longer be completely different, and they will become like brothers in a family of systems.

Still, I am not sure if the form factor (the size and configuration of the hardware) will be integrated. In contrast, the number of form factors might increase. Currently, we can only provide two form factors because if we had three or four different architectures, we would face serious shortages of software on every platform. To cite a specific case, Apple is able to release smart devices with various form factors one after another because there is one way of programming adopted by all platforms. Apple has a common platform called iOS. Another example is Android. Though there are various models, Android does not face software shortages because there is one common way of programming on the Android platform that works with various models. The point is, Nintendo platforms should be like those two examples. Whether we will ultimately need just one device will be determined by what consumers demand in the future, and that is not something we know at the moment. However, we are hoping to change and correct the situation in which we develop games for different platforms individually and sometimes disappoint consumers with game shortages as we attempt to move from one platform to another, and we believe that we will be able to deliver tangible results in the future.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130qa/02.html

z0m3le

Banned
From the latest Results Briefing, which happened just now yet is already up in English:

Some of us expected the Switch to receive all of Nintendo's gaming output going forward (aside from mobile). But certainly looks like Kimishima is serious about keeping the 3DS going for quite some time, and not just with token support either! Makes sense financially, just hoping that doesn't mean Wii U like droughts for the Switch...

DS received more than token support well into 3DS's life, also Wii U was not being replaced by Switch either, until it was.

Frankly anyone who expected 3ds to be dropped day one, doesn't remember DS receiving a brand new Pokémon a year and a half after 3DS launched. Switch is replacing both systems, it's obvious with game freak confirming Pokémon development for Switch.

The Giant

Banned
Why are people getting angry about NIntendo supporting the 3ds for atleast another 18 months?

Nintendo kept releasing games for gbc when gba was released. They still released gba games for 2 years after NDS came out etc

watershed

Banned
I could see a Switch handheld only form factor with some differentiating hardware but shares the same library of games as the Switch. in a year or two. Something that costs less. But it can't be different hardware all together because I don't see how Nintendo could convince consumers to buy a handheld with weaker graphics compared to the Switch which already has hd graphics in handheld mode.

Fbh

And just another reason to wait before buying a switch.

My biggest interest in the system is the possibility to have a console that plays all Nintendo games. If for a year or more it's back to dividing it between 3Ds and Switch then the systems looses its biggest selling point.

I'm fine with them releasing 3Ds games for years to come....Just make them compatible with Switch too

Why are people getting angry about NIntendo supporting the 3ds for atleast another 18 months?

Nintendo kept releasing games for gbc when gba was released. They still released gba games for 2 years after NDS came out etc

All of those systems where backwards compatible though. You could play those new GBC games on your GBA and those GBA games on your DS.

Until that is confirmed for the Switch it's basically a more portable WiiU. Which is not why I and some other people are looking forward to this system

And just another reason to wait before buying a switch.

My biggest interest in the system is the possibility to have a console that plays all Nintendo gakss. If for a year or more it's back to dividing it between 3Ds and Switch then the systems looses its biggest selling point.

I'm fine with them releasing 3Ds games for years to come....Just make them compatible with Switch too

Again, it's unlikely that they are developing any big titles for 3DS.

ironmang

Seems like trying to replace the 3DS quickly could end in disaster if the Switch bombs. I'd be in favor of keeping them coexisting for a few years.

Neoxon

Again, it's unlikely that they are developing any big titles for 3DS.
This. Most of the remaining 3DS games are likely either lower-budget projects or late localizations. It'd be enough for Nintendo to say "Hey, we're still supporting the 3DS", but not enough for the Switch to suffer for it. That plus the 3DS could be Nintendo's safety net in case the Switch doesn't take off.

jonno394

Yeah this is temporary for sure. They don't want to dive 100% in on switch to see it pull a Wii U and leave them in all kinds of mess. As with others i see Nintendo support for 3ds tapering off in 12 months as long as Switch is doing well.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It makes sense to keep them both in the market while the price points are so different. Likewise it makes sense to continue to support with software while the install base is actively buying.

I do hope they don't hold back any big first party titles to 3DS only, they should ensure all big new titles are also available on switch. They need to encourage people to migrate

Jinroh

It's so obvious. People were really expecting kids to carry a switch around? It wouldn't have made any sense to to replace a handled with a fragile, expensive and big tablet. The would have lost a huge part of their users.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
On a side note, Nintendo was saying the Switch isnot a successor to the WiiU(and 3DS) just a couple months ago. Not sure why people take them so literally.

Indeed. In May 2016 Nintendo said that the NX was not a successor to the Wii U or 3DS. And let's not forget their PR spin about not stopping the production of the Wii U on Nov 1 when rumors got out and then announcing the end of Wii U production only ten days later.

I can't believe anyone takes what Nintendo's PR department says seriously.

Lower the N3DS to $120 (and stock it properly in NA) and the N3DSXL to $150 sometime this year and I can see the 3DS having good sales into 2018.

I really doubt a 3rd Mario & Luigi will come out. Paper Jam has already recycled the assets from Dream Team/Sticker Star, plus it didn't sell very well.

I can see 1 or 2 Wii U ports. Kirby Rainbow Curse is my guess as it didn't get a budget release.

random25

People shouldn't be surprised about this. They said this before, and just reiterating the same thing. They still pushing the 3DS through 2018, so expect this year to be something similar to last year.

Cartho

Surely Nintendo won't be stupid enough to not release Pokemon STARS in some form on Switch? I mean if they want to sell Switches like crazy in the run up to Christmas this year: put Pokemon on it. That's pretty much a proven strategy now.

I expect what he means is we will see lots of cross platform titles for a year or so. Don't forget, Destiny, Dragon Age Inquisition and many other big titles were released for PS360 a year after the PS4 / Xbox One came out.

I think this is mainly marketing speak. He's not going to come and and say to the 65 million people who own a 3DS "ok pack it up guys, show's over, may as well sell em all now and get money off a Switch".

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
We will have several follow-up titles from popular franchises on Nintendo 3DS and we are developing many other unannounced titles to continue to enrich the software lineup going forward.

Very curious what is being talked about here. The quote could easily be talking about their announced lineup (Mario Sports, FE Echoes, FE Warriors, Pikmin), but if other franchises are indeed getting new entries, I wonder what they could be. I really can't think of what would make sense to put on the platform at this point that wouldn't be a major development effort.

DigtialT

I would like to think Nintendo wouldn't be dumb enough to either a) not put Pokemon Star or really any Pokemon game on the switch or b) actually have a separate handheld that is the direct successor to the 3DS but this world has gotten so crazy lately I can't put anything past anybody anymore.

FC Bayern

Ōkami;229474883 said:
GBA was supported until 2006, DS came out in 2004.

Playstation 2 was "supported" until 2013 with fifa 14.

Doubt you'd find anyone who would call that "supported" though.

jonno394

Very curious what is being talked about here. The quote could easily be talking about their announced lineup (Mario Sports, FE Echoes, FE Warriors, Pikmin), but if other franchises are indeed getting new entries, I wonder what they could be. I really can't think of what would make sense to put on the platform at this point that wouldn't be a major development effort.

I read it as "we have several follow ups" being fire emblem, pikmin like you say and then "unannounced titles" being smaller titles. I'd hope all main line franchises are being moved to switch now.

DS received more than token support well into 3DS's life, also Wii U was not being replaced by Switch either, until it was.

Frankly anyone who expected 3ds to be dropped day one, doesn't remember DS receiving a brand new Pokémon a year and a half after 3DS launched. Switch is replacing both systems, it's obvious with game freak confirming Pokémon development for Switch.

In fairness, DS getting 1 more Pokemon game had more to do with GF wanting people who bought Black and White to experience the sequel on the same platform. That kind of mentality could have changed after 5 years. Maybe Nintendo (re)realized Pokemon is a huge system seller and wants to leverage the franchise to sell as many Switches as possible.

In fact, there's a possible paradigm shift if rumours that Stars is on the Switch is confirmed.

I read it as "we have several follow ups" being fire emblem, pikmin like you say and then "unannounced titles" being smaller titles. I'd hope all main line franchises are being moved to switch now.

I’m not surprised but the 3DS needs to go sooner rather than later. It’s very outdated at this point and I hope you're right about their main handheld franchises now being developed on the Switch rather than the 3DS.

I think it could happen as early as this holiday to go alongside Pokemon. The handheld only version wouldn't come with a Joycon grip either.

Ah that's true, that's ~$15 they could knock off the price (if the price of the 3rd party JCG is the same as what the 1st party JCG would be)

So it'd be Switch (Switch, 2 JoyCons, Dock, HDMI cable, AC Adaptor, JoyCon Grip, 2 JoyCon wrist straps) for $300

and Switch Go (Switch, AC Adaptor, 2 JoyCons, 2 JoyCon wrist straps) for ~$200

Ideally, that is.

Zalman

We go through this every generation and people continue to fall for it.

They're not going to publicly announce they're stopping 3DS support right after such an amazing quarter.

They said the same thing when the DS came out, about how it was seperate from their main "Gameboy" line of products. I think it's just them always wanting a safety net to fall back on.

Top Bottom