• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kimishima: Switch won't replace 3DS, there's "many unannounced titles" in development

Shiggy

But the GBA games are also made for those who are still on the GBA, which did north of 80 million worldwide. There was still that transition period.

And Switch is getting good 3rd party announcements in 2017 too. All those Dragon Quest games, Minecraft, some more indies, those popular sports games and other stuff. Is Monster Hunter the only metric of a good 3rd party support for a Nintendo platform?

Not really. Typically, good 3rd party support involves more than just a few indie ports, a Just Dance port, and a Japanese 3rd party title here or there. But given that it's a Nintendo platform, nobody should expect 3rd parties to be too supportive unless Nintendo hands out its franchises (Fire Emblem Legends, Rabbids crossover, etc.).

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
The number of people in here definantly arguing what Nintendo will and won't do on the basis of pure reason alone is baffling. If we've learnt nothing else about Nintendo over the past few decades it's that - for better or for worse - they'll do what the fuck they want.

Sometimes it'll be quirky and original and everyone will rejoice and other times it will be so counter-intuitive and hard to fathom you'll wonder what planet they're on.

Oregano

What... kind of reasoning is that?
To cut the cost you have to cut out stuff. With that reasoning the Switch would be another console. This makes no sense?
Again, it's two different products.
Did Pokémon Go cannibalize Pokémon Sun and Moon... ?

If the Switch has to be $300 dollars then the solution is to make it attractive in other ways like releasing a ton of appealing software. Making an expensive platform, then not supporting it to your full extent of doubling down on failure.

But the GBA games are also made for those who are still on the GBA, which did north of 80 million worldwide. There was still that transition period.

And Switch is getting good 3rd party announcements in 2017 too. All those Dragon Quest games, Minecraft, some more indies, those popular sports games and other stuff. Is Monster Hunter the only metric of a good 3rd party support for a Nintendo platform?

The Wii U had most of those games and it went nowhere. The Wii U had better western support and the 3DS had better Japanese support and both struggled.

I expect the 3DS to see continued Nintendo support throughout 2017, with a possible final Pokemon game. Starting in 2018, I expect Nintendo to jump ship and focus all resources on the Switch.

Third parties will support the system through this year, with one or two major 2018 releases. Smaller developers and indie games I expect to see throughout 2018 and possibly even 2019.

tsab

So Pokemon Stars, Pikmin spin off and some more wiiu ports I presume. 3DS is already 7 years old

edit: Oh yeah and some SNES VC roms I guess XD

random25

The Wii U had most of those games and it went nowhere. The Wii U had better western support and the 3DS had better Japanese support and both struggled.

The Wii U had most of its games late in its life. The reputation already got stuck 2 years before the Wii u got something significant. And the gap between those have been pretty long. That's the difference.

Kimishima also said they wouldn't abandon WiiU owners a year back. 3DS is still a viable platform to keep around, but 2017 will be it's last year. And even then I don't expect any high caliber games.
Mario Party level games and a port of MHXX at best.

Kimishima also said they wouldn't abandon WiiU owners a year back. 3DS is still a viable platform to keep around, but 2017 will be it's last year. And even then I don't expect any high caliber games.
Mario Party level games and a port of MHXX at best

What an odd thing to post not long after it's confirmed it's getting a third fire emblem game and at least one cross console release with switch.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If Nintendo stops supporting hardware = bad
If Nintendo supports hardware = bad

How about Nintendo doing both? Supporting both 3ds and Switch by not making 3ds exclusives when the Switch support is so thin?

It's incredibly ridiculous that a game like Mario Sports Superstars releases as a 3ds exclusive in the same month Switch is launching with very few 1st party game.

PSFan

It's hard to believe that when they haven't restocked 3DS hardware in like 3-4 months now. Nintendo really has some twisted logic.

Malakai

So Pokemon Stars, Pikmin spin off and some more wiiu ports I presume. 3DS is already 7 years old

It isn't 7 years old. It is currently 5 years on the market about to start its sixth year on the market late February for Japan and late March for the rest of the world.

Hermii

I don't believe you. The pillars were a lie in the past. The not a hybrid was a lie as well.
You know what, plans change. When the ds started printing money, there was no way they wouldn't abandon the game boy line. And who knows maybe they did still consider weather the nx should be two separate systems or not when Iwata said that.

I think there is a lot of hindsight going on when accusations of lying gets thrown around.

Champion

They've been saying this for how long? Like 2 years now.

As a 3DS owner I dont have an issue with it at all but I do find it odd that they dont have more 3DS/Switch cross-platform games. Especially with the sparse launch the Switch will have.

Mario Party level games and a port of MHXX at best.
I hope so. I'm investing in the Switch and I get the distinct feeling that if this isn't trying to hybridize console and handheld gaming and they still support the 3DS for years to come then the Switch will just be another Wii U.

balgajo

Don't care about 3ds support. I just want then to port 3ds games to switch. Otherwise I can't see the point of the hybrid existence.

Quadraxis

I love my 3DS so i don't mind. I'm curious as to what could still be in development though. The only things i probably want to buy for my 3DS at this point is Ever Oasis and Etrian Odyssey V(if that ever comes over to EU), so more to add to that is only good in my book :)

FyreWulff

Same ol attempt to avoid the Osborne effect. Jobs said the same thing when Intel macs were introduced, "we have more Power PC products in the pipeline"

(spoiler: there were no more Power PC products in the pipeline)

Malakai

Your math kill me.

6 years, going to its 7th year in February 26.

Code:
Year 0 March 2011 to March 2012
Year 1 March 2012 to March 2013
Year 2 March 2013 to March 2014
Year 3 March 2014 to March 2015
Year 4 March 2015 to March 2016
Year 5 March 2016 to March 2017
Year 6 March 2017 to March 2018
HUH?

Edit1: When you have baby does it start at year 1? Or do you use the term months to describe the baby ages before the baby reaches it's first year of life?
Furthermore, 2017-2011= 6

oti

Banned
How about Nintendo doing both? Supporting both 3ds and Switch by not making 3ds exclusives when the Switch support is so thin?

It's incredibly ridiculous that a game like Mario Sports Superstars releases as a 3ds exclusive in the same month Switch is launching with very few 1st party game.

It's just a re-hash of old assets bundled together in a game to sell amiibo cards. It would be nice if they had used HD assets to make a Switch port possible but is that really what you want out of a new Mario Sports game?

Same thing with the Fire Emblem game. It's just a remake of an old game they release to use that old engine again one last time. Is this what you want out fo the first real Fire Emblem on Switch?

And of course Monster Hunter. Capcom LOOOOVES using those old assets and engine again and again, of course they would release another one on 3DS. That makes sense for Capcom, a company that needs the easy money-maker 3DS Monster Hunter. Does that mean there won't be a Switch Monster Hunter? Of course not. Of course there will be a Switch Monster Hunter down the line. The machine is practically made for Monster Hunter.

I get some of the frustration but if you look at those titles game by game, they only exist because the 3DS is in the cash-cow phase of its life. Those are cash-cow games. They could've used HD assets to port them over to Switch, like they seem to be doing with Pokémon, but those games aren't Pokémon. Is it really that big of a deal this re-hash Mario Sports game isn't coming out on Switch? And you really think there won't be a Mario Sports game on Switch? A console, that comes with a second controller included out of the box? Fire Emblem Switch is already announced.

Malakai

The moment a system releases, its first year has begun. That's a different thing than saying it's been around 1 year.

When you have baby does it start at year 1? Or do you use the term months to describe the baby ages before the baby reaches it's first year of life?

random25

Code:
Year 0 March 2011 to March 2012
Year 1 March 2012 to March 2013
Year 2 March 2013 to March 2014
Year 3 March 2014 to March 2015
Year 4 March 2015 to March 2016
Year 5 March 2016 to March 2017
Year 6 March 2017 to March 2018
HUH?

Your year 0 is the first year.

Cerium

Of course there will be a Switch Monster Hunter down the line. The machine is practically made for Monster Hunter.

Not that I disagree with you, but please don't say that. I remember those same exact words being widely used for a certain other system...

What an odd thing to post not long after it's confirmed it's getting a third fire emblem game and at least one cross console release with switch.
Late Fire Emblem games always happen though. Thracia 776 came out in September 1999 as a kiosk download and January 2000 as a proper SNES cart. The second DS FE game came out in 2010. IS don't care, they do what they want.

When you have baby does it start at year 1? Or do you use the term months to describe the baby ages before the baby reaches it's first year of life?
Age and what year are two different things. Like from 1 CE to 100 CE was the first century, not the zeroth century.

Malakai

Your year 0 is the first year.

Year 0 wouldn't be the first year. Once Year 0 is finish it becomes the first year. Hold on are you guys talking about Nintendo's Fiscal years or years based on a full 12 months(i.e. like June 1, 2013 to May 31, 2014?

random25

Year 0 wouldn't be the first year. Once Year 0 is finish it becomes the first year. Hold on are you guys talking about Nintendo's Fiscal years or years based on a full 12 months(i.e. like June 1, 2013 to May 31, 2014?

You are confusing yourself man lol. 1st year starts with day one and ends with the last day of the 12th month. The first day of the 13th month is where the system is 1 year old and is now on its second year. So on and so forth. So after Feb 26, the 3DS is already 6 years old and is now on its 7th year.

sphinx

the piano man
You're embarrassing yourself with your lack of information coupled with your strong opinions.

while I agree that the post you quoted is misinformed, I think it's clear nintendo is on the fence right now, they've been sending mixed signals the last 2 or so years.

so far, they haven't shown any signs of that software consolidation that was mentioned several times in the past by Iwata and Kimishima. Software was kind of scarce in the last switch reveal presentation and 3DS ins't getting that much either, so there's a ton of mystery regarding what their dev teams are doing.

also, a "shared ecosystem" requires two devices. to share, there have to be at least two parts. One is the switch and the other one can not be the 3DS with its super ancient specs, so what is the other device in this shared ecosystem?

all this points at a second hardware appearing down the line, a mini switch if you want, but there has to be a second device that is not the 3DS, I think in 2019 we'll see another piece of hardware by nintendo, which effectively replaces the 3DS, how much it deviates from the switch, no idea but there we'll be a 3DS replacement, as Kimishima himself said, switch's price is through the roof for the handheld market, it just can not replace the 3DS.

Malakai

You are confusing yourself man lol. 1st year starts with day one and ends with the last day of the 12th month. The first day of the 13th month is where the system is 1 year old and is now on its second year. So on and so forth. So after Feb 26, the 3DS is already 6 years old and is now on its 7th year.

I'm confused. I originally wrote that it have been five years on the market about to go its sixth year on the market. Why wouldn't that be correct? If it was April 30, 2011 I wouldn't say the 3DS have been on the market for 1 year. However, if it was April 30, 2012 I would then say that the 3DS have been on the market for 1 year.

Code:
Hypothetical Date     Years on Market
Apr 30, 2011         Not 1 years
May 13, 2012         One Years
Dec 1, 2013          Two Years
Nov 5, 2014          Three years
Jun 6, 2015          Four years
Apr 1, 2016          Five years 
Feb 1, 2017          Five years
May 2, 2017          Six Years

random25

I'm confused. I originally wrote that it have been five years on the market about to go its sixth year on the market. Why wouldn't that be correct? If it was April 30, 2011 I wouldn't say the 3DS have been on the market for 1 year. However, if it was April 30, 2012 I would then say that the 3DS have been on the market for 1 year.

Code:

It's not going to start its sixth year because it's about to end its sixth year by late February. Even by your table, you already proved that the 3DS is already 6 years old and already on its 7th year by May 2017.

Code:

Finishing 6 years on the market, 6 years old, going into it's 7th year. All equivalent.

This is the 21st century, i.e. the century that ends at 2100.

A baby that is 3 months old is in its first year of life, and when it turns 13 mo, more than 1 year old.

Haganeren

So, no "All Nintendo's input" stuff which is actually what i thought the Switch was all about....... Ok... So then.... That was the last thing i really liked about the Switch which go away.

... Last thing apart from the games of course but they aren't that many of them that i didn't had/will have on Wii U...

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It's just a re-hash of old assets bundled together in a game to sell amiibo cards. It would be nice if they had used HD assets to make a Switch port possible but is that really what you want out of a new Mario Sports game?

Same thing with the Fire Emblem game. It's just a remake of an old game they release to use that old engine again one last time. Is this what you want out fo the first real Fire Emblem on Switch?

And of course Monster Hunter. Capcom LOOOOVES using those old assets and engine again and again, of course they would release another one on 3DS. That makes sense for Capcom, a company that needs the easy money-maker 3DS Monster Hunter. Does that mean there won't be a Switch Monster Hunter? Of course not. Of course there will be a Switch Monster Hunter down the line. The machine is practically made for Monster Hunter.

I get some of the frustration but if you look at those titles game by game, they only exist because the 3DS is in the cash-cow phase of its life. Those are cash-cow games. They could've used HD assets to port them over to Switch, like they seem to be doing with Pokémon, but those games aren't Pokémon. Is it really that big of a deal this re-hash Mario Sports game isn't coming out on Switch? And you really think there won't be a Mario Sports game on Switch? A console, that comes with a second controller included out of the box? Fire Emblem Switch is already announced.

This argument would fly so much better if Switch wouldn't get a MK8 port and a Splatoon 2 with re-hashed assets as the only important games after launch. Plus a Zelda cross gen.

oti

Banned
This argument would fly so much better if Switch wouldn't get a MK8 port and a Splatoon 2 with the same assets as the only important games after launch. Plus a Zelda cross gen.

I get what you're saying, but the argument still stands. Mario Sports is your typical "let's throw this together to have something on the shelve" at the end of a machine's life. This isn't new. Or surprising. It's business as usual.

MK8 Deluxe makes sense since it's super popular and not that many people owned a Wii U. And the mobility is a huge advantage compared to the Wii U version. Again, I get what you mean though.

I'm tired of this talk about Splatoon 2 Port talk. It's a sequel. Get over it.

I just read it as usual PR bs . They're not fully committing to the switch and keep a comfortable safety net around . Yeah yeah people try making that parallel between each xbox and ps console transition period ... except that both makers and batch of first party studios do the jump immediately , besides already ongoing projects . They don't tiptoe around timidly while launching a new home console

Of course they'd ditch the 3ds if it immediately eats away the 3ds market . And if it bombs , of course they'll consider making a true handheld successor to the 3ds ...

Vita launch prices

Wifi - $249
3G - $299

3DS launch price - $249

The switch really isn't that much more expensive than these. One price cut and it'll be within "normal handheld" territory.

Malakai

It isn't 7 years old. It is currently 5 years on the market about to start its sixth year on the market late February for Japan and late March for the rest of the world.

Code:

Let say the 3DS was born March 27th, 2011
Code:
Hypothetical Date     Age
Apr 30, 2011         Not 1 years old
May 13, 2012         One Years old
Dec 1, 2013          Two Years old
Nov 5, 2014          Three years old
Jun 6, 2015          Four years old 
Apr 1, 2016          Five years old 
Feb 1, 2017          Five years old 
May 2, 2017          Six Years old

The 3DS isn't seven years old as of right now. The 3DS isn't six years old yet. The 3DS is currently five years old. However, I think I'm starting to understand that the 3DS is in its' sixth year of life.

Shiggy

Vita launch prices

Wifi - $249
3G - $299

3DS launch price - $249

The switch really isn't that much more expensive than these. One price cut and it'll be within "normal handheld" territory.

You know how well those systems sold at those prices. The 3DS needed a price slash by one third, the Vita was dead in the water.

redcrayon

Vita launch prices

Wifi - $249
3G - $299

3DS launch price - $249

Agreed, but it's also worth noting that the 3DS was cut from that price so rapidly that the 'ambassador' programme had to be rolled out.

You know how well those systems sold at those prices. The 3DS needed a price slash by one third, the Vita was dead in the water.

Agreed, but it's also worth noting that the 3DS was cut from that price so rapidly that the 'ambassador' programme had to be rolled out.
Oh I know. But the thirst for this thing due to having Zelda at launch means they can sell it at this price and then cut the price quickly. Just do like with the 3DS and give early adopters some VC roms, or free online for a year or something.

Top Bottom