• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny’s Greg Miller on The State of the Games Industry and Games Journalism

oti

Banned
The State of the Games Industry: YouTube

I'm happy it works out for them, even though I don't really follow their channel.

I think that a variety of different types of journalism and media should exist, but I do think that "hard-hitting" and "investigative" journalism are in anemic supply in an industry that desperately could use it.

I think my problem with "we're just fun guys making fun content!" is that it is so prevalent in comparison to the other kinds of journalism that...yeah, it can be entertaining but that's what the majority is now. And if it's not, for lack of a better term, unprofessional casual content then it's corporate speakboxes and hype machines.

A big problem with it is also probably that investigative and "smart" or "professional" journalism in games media probably doesn't pay as well or get you ins with developers to discuss or look at their content. Not like you'll be blackballed necessarily but if a journalist is asking you questions about shady business practices or shitty bullshots or the myriad amount of bullshit in the industry then why would any company talk to you or give you review copies or anything of the sort?

It's a shitty situation and I don't begrudge anyone for taking the route they take to succeed or enjoy their time in games journalism but whenever I see another group of people do stuff like this it's just kinda...well...okay. Sure. Guess that's fine.

Edit: Also, count how many times I used quotation marks and call me out on it. Damn yo.

nib95

Banned
Interesting read. Thanks for posting OP. I wish them success with it all. I'm certainly enjoying a lot of their content.

I prefer the enthusiastic personality driven content alongside the serious journalism into the gaming industry as a whole. The Konami situation IS big news at the moment and it needs to be reported, but when I want to follow the games, I want personalities I enjoy to bring me the information I need.

Does this mean we are finally starting to see the end of this?

maxresdefault.jpg

HockeyDud

Neo Member
I prefer the enthusiastic personality driven content alongside the serious journalism into the gaming industry as a whole. The Konami situation IS big news at the moment and it needs to be reported, but when I want to follow the games, I want personalities I enjoy to bring me the information I need.

Does this mean we are finally starting to see the end of this?

maxresdefault.jpg

Heh, still one of the most comical images this industry has produced in my opinion.

Top Bottom