• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword (really) Rottenwatch - Currently 5% RT / 44 MC

vareon

To those who have seen the movie.

If I enjoyed Ritchie's past movies and really liked The man from uncle, it seems this would be something in that same vein right?

Going to watch it tonight critics be damned.

Definitely. I enjoyed the movie from start to finish.

If I enjoyed Ritchie's past movies and really liked The man from uncle, it seems this would be something in that same vein right?

Snatch is one of my favourite movies and I enjoyed Man of U.N.C.L.E. This is closer to the latter rather than the first. On a surface level it has some Ritchie-esque elements you can expect from him but it's so run of the mill in terms of story or characterization.

The weird thing about it is that neither the Ritchie-lite things nor the generic fantasy stuff feel like the base of the movie. Both feel tacked onto each other like some incoherent Frankenstein film. There's some good stuff in there, no doubt, but the end result is as awkward as you'd expect such an experiment to be. The CG fights in particular look like they belong to a different movie, hell, a different game like Devil May Cry or Bayonetta. I usually have no problem whatsoever following even the worst fight scenes (think Iron Fist) but the ones in this movie were so needlessly confusing with their weird camera movement.

As a fan of his previous work I found a lot to enjoy in but even more to be disappointed by.

VeeP

I enjoyed the movie. I'm really surprised it did so badly. I'm not saying it's a classic, or fantastic, but is it a good watch, with great set pieces, some comedy, and action? Yep. Some points at the movie felt like a video game, and IMO that's a good thing.

I think this movie kicked ass. It was dumb, but it was a fun, tight kind of dumb. Ritchie's trademark nonlinear editing shaved so much exposition and bloat from what could have been a 3 hour fantasy movie. The CGI was... well, there was a lot, and it was ridiculous, but it embraced ridiculous. It was a cartoon at points. I LOVED (loved loved loved) the soundtrack.

I think really the only real issue I had was the mage's acting, but that really only stuck out badly in her one longer monologue.

It wasn't high art by any means, but fuck I had fun. Can't say I've ever seen a movie with a giant snake fucking up a castle while a blues solo plays before.

Just got back from watching it, and I really liked it. Big, loud, and like others have mentioned, the right kind of dumb. Perfect Summer movie. I'm also a sucker for Ritchie's style so this was right up my alley.

The movie deserves some success, sucks that it's bombing. I've seen much worse do much better. Rotten Tomatoes claims another kill, imo.

Saw it over the weekend. I like Guy Ritchie films, especially Snatched and the Sherlock Holmes films. What I saw had few and far between Guy Ritchie moments and a lot of unnecessary CGI. It came to a point in the movie where I thought Arthur was dreaming most of the time. It was ok, but definitely not one of Guy's best.

Aselith

First of all, Guy Ritchie made a Dark Souls movie. It literally becomes a pretty awesome boss fight at several points complete with roll dodging. So that's awesome. It also includes a special guest appearance by Sif.

Like Xander Cage said, the sound track is absolutely phenomenal. It's a really interesting mix of something a little high fantasy and a little weird twangy violin music similar to what Hans Zimmer did in Sherlock and a little Celtic influence for good measure. Here's a few good representative pieces from the movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGV95hAHqqs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2LLS33eQvk

The Arthur growing up scenes were classic Ritchie and really well-produced bits of minimalist storytelling that managed to convey a person becoming a leader in about a minute. Shit was really impressive.

While for the most part the CGI was a little iffy, one thing that I really liked was the CGI on the Gorgon-type characters. They looked really gross and discomfiting in a good way. And even if the CGI was a little iffy at time, it never failed to be just really fucking badass. This movie has some of the best crazy stuff visually I've seen in a fantasy movie tbh. It's fantastic.

There's quite a lot of other stuff I liked in the movie but, yeah, go watch it. It may not be a perfect movie but it's a blast to watch. It's a shame that we most likely aren't getting a sequel :(

duckroll

How much dumb fantasy shit is there in this? Are there actual dragon fights? Is there just one big fantasy sequence at the start and nothing after that? Does Arthur ever get into a giant medieval robot?

Aselith

How much dumb fantasy shit is there in this? Are there actual dragon fights? Is there just one big fantasy sequence at the start and nothing after that? Does Arthur ever get into a giant medieval robot?

There's a bunch of fantasy shit throughout and there are some dragon type creatures but he doesn't exactly fight them

He gets tossed around like a ragdoll

I'm guessing mech suit in the sequel if it happens!

VeeP

No dragon fights, but tons of fantasy shit. I was literally surprised by how much shit they put in here. Fun flick, if your interested go watch it.

duckroll

I dunno, on one hand, sounds like dumb fun. On other hand, I hate Guy Ritchie movies which aren't actual British gangster movies.

duckroll

Would it help if I told you begins the movie as a British gangster?

No because my point is that Guy Ritchie only makes one style of film, and forces that into everything even when the genre isn't like that. I guess it works for some people, but I find it really annoying. Sherlock Holmes is unwatchable.

Arttemis

No because my point is that Guy Ritchie only makes one style of film, and forces that into everything even when the genre isn't like that. I guess it works for some people, but I find it really annoying. Sherlock Holmes is unwatchable.
I thought it was a fantastic take on the character. He's not an academic, just a street detective with incredible observation and memory. Turning him into a breaking scoundrel was barely a stretch, especially when he holds his own in some of the novels.

Villain looks straight out of dark souls. Theres a disgusting dark lord eel woman in here, excalibur gives you superhuman powers, giant rats and snakes, lady of the lake segment etc.

VeeP

Hmm, then you might not like this movie. It's definitely a Guy Ritchie directed film, but it's also got some crazy fantasy set ups.

It honestly felt like a video game to me, something out of Dark Souls or God of War.

Wollan

I really enjoyed my cinema trip.

The soundtrack was seriously outstanding and it had editing and sharp dialogue to fit.
Where it falters is when scenes are purely CGI (basically every Excalibur scene) but this movie is full of richly detailed practical sets and nature shots.

Recommended. Doubt I will re-watch it anytime soon but definitely getting the soundtrack now.

Also speaking of the soundtrack, serious kudos to them for releasing a super comprehensive score. It's 11 bucks for 90+ minutes of music.

me and my girl watched it over the weekend, and we enjoyed it......it was a good movie not great, could be better if it was rated R i think, need more blood and violence....

IbukiLordSA

Watched this last night with the wife and we both thoroughly enjoyed the movie. It was a great trip to the cinema, this is what I want to see at the cinema. Surprised by it's reception seeing this thread, I thought it was really good. Soundtrack was awesome and the action scenes were great. Loved the Dark Souls type vibe of some characters, was very cool. Nice to finally see something giving justice to the power and legend of Excalibur outside of anime :p

Saw someone freak out about this movie yesterday because of a supposed anachronistic use of the word "fuck."

People who go to movies on discount days can be pretty intense.

Protome

Just got out of this and goddamn I did not like it at all. Made all the worse by the fact that there were a handful of scenes I really loved (the "im telling a story" scene was great.)

Its just super generic bad action with some of the worst CG I've seen outside of a made for TV thing in ages. Some awful dialogue
"YOU SENT ME TO THAT BROTHEL!"
and mediocre to bad performances pretty much across the board.
Also if Merlinette can summon a giant snake that murders everyone why didn't she do that earlier?

There's only a few scenes that have that Guy Richie flavour and its a real shame because they are really promising.

Soundtrack is outstanding though.

Grisby

Thought the first half was enjoyable but the second half let me down. There's just too much cg sword fighting and I don't think Guy needed to go that route.

Overall the film was ok, and there are some fun high fantasy fight scenes. The music is on point. Gotta admit some giggles because the opening chorus stuff is the same vocals they used for that
Halo ODST live action trailer.

Still excited for Sherlock 3 (last two were so good) but this was a bit of a disappointment.

i dont think the music is bad but if super intense music is playing much of the time i could see how it would be exhausting.

I mean it plays during intense scenes and there are some intense scenes like every movie. There's also more ambient stuff and at least one track that legit evokes a Western mood. I laughed at the video you linked but I'd rather have a prominent score than just some tunes fizzling in the background. Doctor Strange had a pretty damn good score by Giacchino that got completely lost in the soundmixing.

trixx

Dark souls the movie was pretty good lol. They way they told the story was weird but I think that's staying true to King Arthur formula? Cameras were jerking all over and bit over the top with the effects but it was good.

Better than the last movie I saw (episode 7)

*Heavy breathing for 2 minutes*

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Uhm, this was a 7 out of 10.
What the fuck. Y'all expecting every movie to be a Denis Villenueve movie. They can't all be masterpieces.
This was okay. The idea behind it was solid. Jude Law fucking aced this.
Music was top notch. Enjoyable movie. The Excalibur fights were 10/10 fantasy shit. If this were released in the 80's it'd be a classic.

If you are a H.P Lovecraft fan, go watch this shit ASAP. Something special in there for you.

Uhm, this was a 7 out of 10.
What the fuck. Y'all expecting every movie to be a Denis Villenueve movie. They can't all be masterpieces.
This was okay. The idea behind it was solid. Jude Law fucking aced this.
Music was top notch. Enjoyable movie. The Excalibur fights were 10/10 fantasy shit. If this were released in the 80's it'd be a classic.
lmao nah.

Beefy

Jude Law does what he always does when he can't be fucked. Goes over the top with his voice yet looks bored. The cockney talking and "banters" does not work at all in the film, it just makes it look like some sort of gangster knights hybrid fuck up. The main actor can't act and there are slowmo's for everything.

0.5/10

Makes Alien Covenant look Oscar worthy.

Movie was pretty good. Not really sure what RT is on about? It was damn hype and I agree with the poster who compared this to Dark Souls because that's what I was thinking about during the movie all the time.

Top Bottom