• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King Kong & Godzilla are going to do battle once again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephzilla

VmJ60dG.gif

tumblr_m4h6a8iLpk1ru09vqo1_500.gif

http://io9.com/king-kong-and-godzilla-are-going-to-fight-on-the-big-sc-1729948653

Deadline reports Legendary Pictures is moving Kong: Skull Island from Universal Pictures to Warner Bros. Pictures. Because Warner Bros. is where Godzilla lives and, eventually, the two will cross over and do battle. The plan is for Kong to come out in March 10, 2017, then Gareth Edwards’ previously announced Godzilla sequel will be released on June 8, 2018. Then, a third film would happen, pitting the giant lizard vs. the giant ape.

Directed by Jordan Vogt-Roberts, Kong: Skull Island will star Tom Hiddleston and Brie Larson. It’s a prequel story explaining the origins of Kong. Godzilla 2 is the follow up to the 2014 hit, and will feature the current King of the Monsters battling some of his most iconic foes, Rodan, Mothra and Ghidorah. No word on casting for that one.

The last time these two monsters appeared on the same screen was 1962's King Kong vs Godzilla produced by Toho. So it goes without saying that this is one remake that feels long overdue. Hopefully this movie starts and finishes as a Kong vs Godzilla movie instead of the original, which started as a King Kong vs Frankenstein.

Destroy this with two Kaiju if old.

Sulik2

I would much rather see a Godzilla/Pacific Rim crossover. Still, I just want that Godzilla sequel. 2018 is a long way off.

In the original movie Kong is just Godzilla's size with no explanation given. I'd imagine in the new one Kong is going to get buffed up considerably again simply because bigger is better.

Even if they scale him up to a ridiculous level, he is still an ape, where Godzilla is a nuclear powered firebreathing monster.

tumblr_naqm4dl8vx1rnikqmo5_500.gif

Retro

I have reservations, but not enough to keep me from reserving tickets. Let's see how Godzilla 2 goes, this could be a very good thing.

JdFoX187

Banned
Still have my doubts, although I'd be interested. I'm always there for more monster flicks and Godzilla (2014) was one of my favorite movies of last year.

Godzilla wins, though. No way around it.

Busty

Banned
As interesting as this development is I was shocked to learn that Kong is actually a Warners property and that they had licensed it to Universal for years with the rights only recently (apparently) lapsing back to them.

The original Kong film was part of the old MGM library (I assume) that Turner ended up acquiring in the 1990's. So Legendary sort of had no choice but to bring their Kong prequel film to WB or end up cancelling it.

Apparently.

Anth0ny

Of course. I seem to remember them tease this at SDCC Hall H last year (I was there!)

dat Kaiju Cinematic Universe

Sheppard

The rumor on the Skull Island film is that it takes place in a different time frame. Time in question is
The 70's

They will probably introduce a smaller Godzilla. A monster from Skull Island kills Godzilla and younger / smaller new Godzilla wants revenge and hates all monsters from Skull Island.

Kaiju/Giant monster movies have always been my fave genre but that last Godzilla was garbage. The screen time and story that horrible main actor got was ridiculous. Good effects and the fact that Godzilla actually battles Kaiju instead of the city were the only redeeming qualities. No surprise seeing as the director came off that other horrible movie 'Monsters'. I really hope this new Godzilla has way more monster screen time instead of dumb american military circle jerking as these movies always end up as.

Also i'm not really a fan of Kong Vs Godzilla idea as Godzilla is massive and Kong is a little bigger than a T-Rex. So imo Godzilla is the best.

Ithil

Kong would have to be, uh, pretty fuckin big . The Kong of Peter Jackson's remake would be stepped on by the 2014 Godzilla.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom