• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance |OT| Sora is Everyone in Every Dimension

3466333_o.gif

Well all these black bars are sure making this page dark. Can someone turn on the Kingdom Hearts?

I bought the game today and was pleasantly surprised to see it ring up at $30 because I had no idea it was going on sale. For anyone interested, I only have the free card. I thought you needed to pay the $15 or whatever it is for the real card to get discounts

My card was expired and I still got the deal :) Although the employee refused to sell me the games unless I renewed the 15$ card. I told him no and proceeded to walk out but he gave in and said he'll "see what can be done."

I really enjoyed the opening to the game. Flowmotion helps makes battles more fun too.

also

Banned
Finally returned to play it after shelving it for irl/anime stuff.

Really still meeting the twewy characters, but can someone please describe Kingdom Hearts, that is, define "Kingdom hearts" in the context of "kingdom hearts franchise,' somehow couldnt wrap my head around its flashback moment. Its a place and an object?
KH appears as a giant heart floating in the sky.
i81dMlnzU9Z1J.png

Here's a more detailed explanation on what exactly KH is (From Xenahort's reports + a liitle bit of editing):
Kingdom Hearts could be described as an aggregate of hearts. Worlds, too, have hearts, just like people; each world's heart is concealed from sight, beyond a hidden door. By gathering all the hearts of all the worlds in a single place, one may complete Kingdom Hearts. You can also complete KH by gathering enough people's hearts or by forging the χ-blade.
The χ-blade is only forged when two hearts of equal power intersect--one heart of pure darkness, one heart of pure light. At the time of its forging, Kingdom Hearts appears. It must be noted, though, that this Kingdom Hearts is special. Unlike the Kingdoms brought about forcibly and artificially through the collection of hearts, THIS Kingdom Hearts is a perfect and complete union of ALL the worlds' hearts. Surely it was over this that the ancient Keyblade War was fought.

But what's the point of KH?
And when Kingdom Hearts is complete, it is said the one who opens its door will bring about the creation of the Next World. Such a feat is above any human. Or, to put it a different way: whoever opens that door will be reborn as something far greater than human

Iceblade

Just finished the game... and all I can say is "what even?!"

Ending spoilers... The story here is so heavy handed compared to previous entries. Time travel?! Dreams?! Faaaar out. It's hard enough to follow the new plot of Xehanort wanting to create 13 copies of himself or whatever and his younger self, without that plot also being tangled up in a dream plot that constantly made me question if anything was actually for real or not.

Furthermore, Young Xehanort was such a red herring for this game. Considering that RE: Coded's secret ending told us that Xehanort was now revived, I assumed that Young Xehanort was just Xehanort's normal form, since Nomura hasn't yet written anything about how old people are meant to look when they are restored to their human forms after their heartless/nobodies are defeated. Then there's this whole thing about XehaAnsem storing himself in Riku so that he could plan out the time travel plan...while he was on Destiny Island... I DONT EVEN.

Also, why are Xemnas and XehaAnsem still around at the end of the game? They aren't dead? I thought they were just a product of the dream plot. The wiki says this "Eventually ... Xemnas and Xigbar ... go on to explain that Young Xehanort has been gathering several different incarnations of Xehanort in order to create a new Organization XIII, the members so far being Master Xehanort, Young Xehanort, Ansem, Xemnas and Xigbar". How are Xehanort's heartless and nobody still around if they both died, thus allowing Xehanort's human form to come back?

Ugh, I'm a huge KH fan but this game just did my head in, hahaha. This is why I hate retcons, but what can you do. I need some guidance!

also

Banned

Ending spoilers... The story here is so heavy handed compared to previous entries. Time travel?! Dreams?! Faaaar out. It's hard enough to follow the new plot of Xehanort wanting to create 13 copies of himself or whatever and his younger self, without that plot also being tangled up in a dream plot that constantly made me question if anything was actually for real or not.

Furthermore, Young Xehanort was such a red herring for this game. Considering that RE: Coded's secret ending told us that Xehanort was now revived, I assumed that Young Xehanort was just Xehanort's normal form, since Nomura hasn't yet written anything about how old people are meant to look when they are restored to their human forms after their heartless/nobodies are defeated. Then there's this whole thing about XehaAnsem storing himself in Riku so that he could plan out the time travel plan...while he was on Destiny Island... I DONT EVEN.

Also, why are Xemnas and XehaAnsem still around at the end of the game? They aren't dead? I thought they were just a product of the dream plot. The wiki says this "Eventually ... Xemnas and Xigbar ... go on to explain that Young Xehanort has been gathering several different incarnations of Xehanort in order to create a new Organization XIII, the members so far being Master Xehanort, Young Xehanort, Ansem, Xemnas and Xigbar". How are Xehanort's heartless and nobody still around if they both died, thus allowing Xehanort's human form to come back?

Ugh, I'm a huge KH fan but this game just did my head in, hahaha. This is why I hate retcons, but what can you do. I need some guidance!

Xenahort split himself and sent his heart (Ansem) back in time to meet his younger self, grant him time travelling powers and entrust him with the mission of gathering his other selves through time. The Xenmas and Ansem you see have both been brought from the past, before they were defeated. They are still dead in the present time.

Iceblade

Xenahort split himself and sent his heart (Ansem) back in time to meet his younger self, grant him time travelling powers and entrust him with the mission of gathering his other selves through time. The Xenmas and Ansem you see have both been brought from the past, before they were defeated. They are still dead in the present time.

Thanks for your response. They're still dead in the present time, but these "past" forms of Xehanort and Ansem can still exist in the present, correct? Also, where does Ansem possessing Riku thus allowing him extra time travel capability come into all this?

Also, I'm a bit loose on some other details. Why did Xemnas help Organization XIII's fooled members create an artificial Kingdom Hearts when he would have retained his memories from Xehanort? Also, why were the members were fooled into thinking they didnt have hearts? Why didn't he just transfer himself there and then? He says they were weak... but still.

All that said, still cant believe KH now has a time travel plot. My braaaaaain. Thanks for helping me out regardless.

EDIT:
Also, what was the point of the time travelling if everyone loses their memory of said traveling? Also, what's the point considering all of the members of the New Organization return to their points in time at the end of the game?

EDIT 2:
Also, when Riku awakes from his dream within a dream and finds himself in The World That Never Was, why does the Glossary say that he is in the "real world"? How can he be, when he's in the same world as Sora--who happens to be in the sleeping version of The World That Never Was himself?

Psxphile

Master Xehanort was restored to his normal, old body. It's not explained why this is.

Ansem and Xemnas are their pre-defeated selves, picked up by Young Xehanort and brought to the present The World That Never Was, same as the rest. However, the game seems to be hinting that they will continue to serve the new Org in their Heartless and Nobody forms. It's not explained why this is. Poor Terra.

On that note, even Young Xehanort is hinted at being part of the new Org, despite being a time traveler and having to go back to his own time eventually to live out his life. It's not explained why this is.

Kingdom Hearts: It's Hearts I Don't Have To Explain Shit

Famassu

Plus it seems there are some other limitations to it, like the fact that they can only gather in The World That Never Was because of its special nature and only at certain points in time. So at the end of 3D, the different forms of Xehanort disappear and they will appear again at some point in the future. They haven't gone into WHY this is so, other than said that there's something about TWTNW's nature as a kind of between-place that makes it all possible.

Psxphile

EDIT:
Also, what was the point of the time travelling if everyone loses their memory of said traveling? Also, what's the point considering all of the members of the New Organization return to their points in time at the end of the game?

Yeah, I'm kinda curious about this myself.

EDIT 2:
Also, when Riku awakes from his dream within a dream and finds himself in The World That Never Was, why does the Glossary say that he is in the "real world"? How can he be, when he's in the same world as Sora--who happens to be in the sleeping version of The World That Never Was himself?

The very last segment of The World That Never Was (after defeating the two Ansem bosses) is actually set in present day TWTNW. You can see the portal that will take you back to the dream realm there, and the Save doesn't allow you to leave the world as before. Riku still has his Dream Eater powers because Sora is still sleeping, and it's affecting him apparently even in the real world.

also

Banned
Thanks for your response. They're still dead in the present time, but these "past" forms of Xehanort and Ansem can still exist in the present, correct? Also, where does Ansem possessing Riku thus allowing him extra time travel capability come into all this?

Also, I'm a bit loose on some other details. Why did Xemnas help Organization XIII's fooled members create an artificial Kingdom Hearts when he would have retained his memories from Xehanort? Also, why were the members were fooled into thinking they didnt have hearts? Why didn't he just transfer himself there and then? He says they were weak... but still.

All that said, still cant believe KH now has a time travel plot. My braaaaaain. Thanks for helping me out regardless.

They could exist in the present only for a limited time and then they were, along with everyone else, returned to their own time. If they stayed in the present time, some events would change and you can't change what's destined to happen. I'm not sure where you got the bit about the extra time-travelling capability. Ansem possessed Riku because Riku was chosen to become one of the 13th darknesses.

I'm not entirely sure what it is you are asking... Xenmas needed KH to create 12 other Xenahorts. The only memories he retained where those before the split. The Nobodies weren't really fooled. Nobodies start out without a heart and they can grow one, but that's not guaranteed. Xenmas told them that the only way they could reclaim their hearts was to complete Kingdom Hearts and they believed him. And Xenahort couldn't transfer into them at that moment because he didn't exist at that time, as he was split. I guess that's what is preventing him from time travelling into the past when the organization still has all of its members; there's no Xenahort, only Xenmas and Ansem.

also

Banned
Yeah, I'm kinda curious about this myself.
YX says that his correct path is now etched into his heart so I think that you still retain your memories of TT in one form or another. Also, if nothing else, Ansem made YX aware and interested into other worlds.

Plus it seems there are some other limitations to it, like the fact that they can only gather in The World That Never Was because of its special nature and only at certain points in time. So at the end of 3D, the different forms of Xehanort disappear and they will appear again at some point in the future. They haven't gone into WHY this is so, other than said that there's something about TWTNW's nature as a kind of between-place that makes it all possible.

Where did it say that the other Norts will reappear? Xenahort says that all the pieces are destined to appear, but I thought that meant that he will simply find new vessels for those that are unavailable in the present...

KH appears as a giant heart floating in the sky.
i81dMlnzU9Z1J.png

But what's the point of KH?
And when Kingdom Hearts is complete, it is said the one who opens its door will bring about the creation of the Next World. Such a feat is above any human. Or, to put it a different way: whoever opens that door will be reborn as something far greater than human

Ill jut accept it for what it is, guess thats what I get for only playing CoM and then this, and an hour of BBS. doesnt make sense when they say the kingdom hearts was lost and never seen again, but kingdom hearts is light in the children and made the world.

-

The drop thing is annoying, I was in the middle of just a random post office area doing something and then it forced me to riku :/

Famassu

Where did it say that the other Norts will reappear? Xenahort says that all the pieces are destined to appear, but I thought that meant that he will simply find new vessels for those that are unavailable in the present...
IIRC, I think Master Xehanort says something in the vein of "time's up, we will have to finish this the next time we are able to gather the thirteen darknesses together" (not those exact words, but that's what I took out of them). I took that to mean that they can only appear at certain points in time, one of them was at the end of 3D but not all the requirements were met (they didn't have all the darknesses and lights together, so they had to postpone the ultimate final battle until they did.

also

Banned
Ill jut accept it for what it is, guess thats what I get for only playing CoM and then this, and an hour of BBS. doesnt make sense when they say the kingdom hearts was lost and never seen again, but kingdom hearts is light in the children and made the world.

-

The drop thing is annoying, I was in the middle of just a random post office area doing something and then it forced me to riku :/

They don't say that the light in the children's hearts is KH, just that that light was used the reshape the world.

I've stopped paying attention to the story past "that guy's evil, get 'im" and just have fun with the combat and worlds and stuff.

also

Banned
IIRC, I think Master Xehanort says something in the vein of "time's up, we will have to finish this the next time we are able to gather the thirteen darknesses together" (not those exact words, but that's what I took out of them). I took that to mean that they can only appear at certain points in time, one of them was at the end of 3D but not all the requirements were met (they didn't have all the darknesses and lights together, so they had to postpone the ultimate final battle until they did.

Here's the cutscene. But the gathering of the 7 and 13 is nigh. Let us finish this at the fated place, once your lights and my darknesses have joined together! He doesn't really says he will use the same vessels, that's why I think he will find new ones.

Famassu

Here's the cutscene. But the gathering of the 7 and 13 is nigh. Let us finish this at the fated place, once your lights and my darknesses have joined together! He doesn't really says he will use the same vessels, that's why I think he will find new ones.
I didn't really say anything about the vessels being the same, just that there seem to be limitations to this "time travel" thing, one of them being that the 13 darknesses seem to only be able to gather at certain points in time (maybe Master Xehanort needs to use up so much of his power that he can do it only when he gathers enough of it). He says in that cutscene "we are out of time and we must all return to whence we came", which is the only thing I'm referring to. Also, I'm not sure if it's mentioned anywhere in the game, but in some post-release interviews Nomura has said that the gathering of the 13 can only happen in TWTNW because it's a special world.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
23 hours in.

Finally hit the last boss.

JUST NOW figured out that I could have more than one Dream Eater in my party :( I CANNOT believe I went through the whole game with one Dream Eater fighting with me at all times. The stats I could have built up :(

Finally beat it, though, and this is probably my favorite Kingdom Hearts yet. The story was great, building up the spirits grew on me over time, and the secret movie was the perfect set-up for the next one in the series. I cannot wait for the next game.

My favorite part of the game: Not having to go to Hercules or Alice in Wonderland worlds. I hope those are done for good.

ffdgh

I was going to go to gamestop but How fortunate that amazon just so happened to have this for 29.99 instead of 39.99 so I jumped for the deal lol.

should be here in about a week :D

Mzo

Also the power of love. Welcome to Japanese storytelling.

Commantis is hard. :( I wish the camera was much better. I can't really tell what he's doing when I start attacking. I already found him troublesome on Proud Mode, but he's even harder on Lv1 Critical.

Right now my deck is just Meteor Crash, 3x Cure and Drop-Me-Not. I'm trying to fight normally, then use Meteor Crash whenever his guard drops. Drop-Me-Not feels vital since I saw my drop rate go from 1.6 to 2.4 in just one attack. I still don't have Leaf Bracer. Which DEs get it fastest? Meow Wow takes quite a while.

I kind of thought the touch screen interaction was gimmicky at first but I kind of like it for the slingshot stuff to blast crates and such, oh and flow motion is still so addicitng and fun just to jump around. Beat the traverse town boss as sora, so now I guess I gotta do it as Riku?

also

Banned
Commantis is hard. :( I wish the camera was much better. I can't really tell what he's doing when I start attacking. I already found him troublesome on Proud Mode, but he's even harder on Lv1 Critical.

Right now my deck is just Meteor Crash, 3x Cure and Drop-Me-Not. I'm trying to fight normally, then use Meteor Crash whenever his guard drops. Drop-Me-Not feels vital since I saw my drop rate go from 1.6 to 2.4 in just one attack. I still don't have Leaf Bracer. Which DEs get it fastest? Meow Wow takes quite a while.

I think Meow Wow is the fastest. Aura Lion has you spend roughly the same amount of LP, the only difference is that you have to link 5 times instead of getting the spirit to level 10. Play the water barrel minigame a few times and you should have enough LP.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Okay, so I just finished this game. Finally. Proud Mode was fucking hard, but oh well, got the secret movie and all. Stupid that you have to start a New Game to access it. >>; Thankfully there are two save slots. XD

All I can say is damn, all throughout the end I kept thinking
"How many fucking final bosses is Riku going to fight??" Serious he's got like, 5 or 6 of 'em sandwiched between cutscenes making the LONGEST fucking KH ending ever. *phew* I was glad when Riku was the one named the Keyblade Master, 'cause he's the one who really did all the work! At first I thought he was going to make them both masters, but when he just named Riku I thought "Fuck yeah, Riku gettin' some motha fuckin' respect!"

Also, regarding the secret movie,
Glad Kairi's joining the fight. About damn time! XD

Psxphile

Okay, so I just finished this game. Finally. Proud Mode was fucking hard, but oh well, got the secret movie and all. Stupid that you have to start a New Game to access it. >>; Thankfully there are two save slots. XD
Or... load your old *completed* save? You don't need to New Game + to see it.

Also, regarding the secret movie,
Glad Kairi's joining the fight. About damn time! XD
Her body is ready.

also

Banned
3D is really mixed up. Sometimes it's great, sometimes there's a lot of ghosting.

Tron's world has really noticeable ghosting. Bright lights on a dark background isn't a good combination for 3D.

I don't know what the fuck is going on in the story so I have no idea how to move the game forward. I don't like this game

There's a little message that scrolls on the upper part of the touch screen that tells you what to do. If you missed it you can press the blue note on the touch screen to make it reappear. Once you finish a world move on to the next one. Complete the worlds in order of their combat level, starting with the llowest.

My favorite part of the game: Not having to go to Hercules or Alice in Wonderland worlds. I hope those are done for good.

I agree about Alice... But if there is a Hercules world in the next one it ought to be like GOW III and be the march on Olympus... That would be insane haha.

I've been thinking about the possibility that the next game could have more worlds from different
time periods in order to defeat the darknesses before they reassemble. We know Yen Sid can open these kind of things from KH2 and the old time Disney world.

Btw, The hooded darknesses that we don't know are confirmed to be known by Nomura, so I doubt that the next game will involve different darknesses. We also don't know how many are from a different time and how many are from the present so it's possible more are from te present then we know.

Can someone explain Dream Eaters to me - I'm not sure if I should be creating new ones or leveling up old ones. I'm in the middle of the second world with both characters and looking at the grid it seems like I could get through most of the game before maxing out my first set of dream eaters. Should I just save points for later and keep making new ones or do I stick with my current guys for awhile.

Also, do different dream eaters fight differently? I didn't see anything saying this ones aggressive or this ones defensive, stuff like that

I'm just now starting this game, is 3D worth having on for this game?

I'm going with 2D for gameplay but 3D for cutscenes.

RPGCrazied

Yeah, I had 3D issues too. Lots of ghosting.. though that is with max 3D. I can do a little under half to get rid most of it.

Still trying to get an Epic Fantasy for my T-REX. Ugh.

also

Banned
Can someone explain Dream Eaters to me - I'm not sure if I should be creating new ones or leveling up old ones. I'm in the middle of the second world with both characters and looking at the grid it seems like I could get through most of the game before maxing out my first set of dream eaters. Should I just save points for later and keep making new ones or do I stick with my current guys for awhile.

Also, do different dream eaters fight differently? I didn't see anything saying this ones aggressive or this ones defensive, stuff like that
What do you mean by saving points for later? If you meant LP, they are tied to the DE that gained them and are not transferable.
I suggest you just use the DEs from the AR cards; the cat is REALLY good. You could also just make the DEs you like, the game isn't that hard so don't worry too much. The only recommended thing is to get once more, leaf bracer and maybe second chance if you plan on tackling the extra boss.

How a DE fights is affected by affinity (the higher the more efficient the DE is) and disposition (defense, offense, spells...). You can change the latter by petting them or feeding them food. Check this FAQ if you want more indepth info: http://www.gamefaqs.com/3ds/997779-kingdom-hearts-3d-dream-drop-distance/faqs/64749

Please god tell me spirit animal things that follow you around aren't needed to beat this game

After going through the tutorial of mixing up recipes and touching and petting this virtual pet my head was spinning

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Please god tell me spirit animal things that follow you around aren't needed to beat this game

After going through the tutorial of mixing up recipes and touching and petting this virtual pet my head was spinning

Those are how you earn many permanent HP increases, etc.

also

Banned
So just scan the cards that came with the game and I'm good for the rest of the game?

Yes. They are star-ranked so they have great stats and they also give you nice bonuses.
Frootz Cat: max reload boost of magic and attack commands
R&R Sea: Second Chance, max HP Boost, protection against status effects
Kab Kannon: defence, magic resistance
The only must-have abilities you will be missing are probably Leaf Bracer and Once More. The fastest way to get them is to play the Water Barrel minigame to accumulate Link points with the right dream eaters. Meow Wow (Sora's 1st dream eater) gives you Leaf Bracer and Flowbermeow gives you Once More (head for the green ? in the upper part of the link board).
You will get enough new commands in the shop, chests and by playing Flick Rush (give it a chance, it's great), so don't worry about it.

Famassu

Yes. And the Dream Eaters are much more useful than any AI allies in past KH games.

My advice would be that only focus on getting the permanent abilities & spells/special commands you want early on and once you can make more powerful DEs, make them and then switch off to new ones as soon as possible (at least stronger ones or ones that have skills you want/need). Don't focus on maxing out every DE, that's pointless when the stat-boost abilities are tied to the particular DE that has them.

Yes. And the Dream Eaters are much more useful than any AI allies in past KH games.

My advice would be that only focus on getting the permanent abilities & spells/special commands you want early on and once you can make more powerful DEs, make them and then switch off to new ones as soon as possible (at least stronger ones or ones that have skills you want/need). Don't focus on maxing out every DE, that's pointless when the stat-boost abilities are tied to the particular DE that has them.

By permanent skills you mean for sora right?

Top Bottom