• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Malyse

kingdom hearts days > disney infinity > kingdom hearts x (JPN vsn)
But Disney Infinity is the greatest, most successful game ever made. Also, [chi] has some of the best story beats of any KH game. Oh and Days is one of the worst games by far. At least coded was fun to play.

botty

Banned
But Disney Infinity is the greatest, most successful game ever made. Also, [chi] has some of the best story beats of any KH game. Oh and Days is one of the worst games by far. At least coded was fun to play.

You can say this for days, but you can't support the claim.

Chi's story is quite literally a children's fairy tale, and is probably the series' most carrot and stick narrative.

Ydelnae

I dreamed the other day that Nomura pulled a Kojima on us and Sora stops being the main character mid-game (he joins the XIII darknesses) and Kairi replaced him. I wouldn't mind if for the world re-visit a la KH2 we controlled Kairi and then Sora returned for the last act.

I'm not open to the idea of having every keyblade holder be playable through various storylines like BBS or DDD, but if for a certain portion of the game Sora goes and Kairi replaces him I think it could work.

I dreamed the other day that Nomura pulled a Kojima on us and Sora stops being the main character mid-game (he joins the XIII darknesses) and Kairi replaced him. I wouldn't mind if for the world re-visit a la KH2 we controlled Kairi and then Sora returned for the last act.

I'm not open to the idea of having every keyblade holder be playable through various storylines like BBS or DDD, but if for a certain portion of the game Sora goes and Kairi replaces him I think it could work.
I wanna believe but we all know if sora goes who we'll be controlling..again

Demise

I'm not open to it too. It killed BBS for me, it's an aweful way to tell a story imho. But I'm ok for some portion. I just hope Kairi/Riku/Sora will have different abilities, I don't want them to be copycat with different Strenght/defense/Magic and with a different skin. I want them to be compltely different.

Malyse

Threaded narrative or get the fuck out. Not BBS. Not DDD. One story, multiple characters, switched as the plot dictates.
Chi's story is quite literally a children's fairy tale, and is probably the series' most carrot and stick narrative.
You quite literally don't know what you're on about. Don't let Xehanort trick you.

Demise

I also hope that Disney world narrative will be a lot more interesting this time. I'm ok with the fact that they can't do whatever they want because Disney is as conservative as Nintendo, but I would just like that they make it intersting at least. I did not feel concerned at all in the past games. It was just filler-like episodes.

In Lion King world (KH2), Simba does not want to be king, strictly 10 seconds later, he agrees to help the kingdom and kill scars. It was that aweful. It doesn't help that this world was a core to play on critical since you can't parry.

aravuus

Yeah god no, it more or less killed BBS for me, too. Really didn't like it.

Malyse

I also hope that Disney world narrative will be a lot more interesting this time. I'm ok with the fact that they can't do whatever they want because Disney is as conservative as Nintendo, but I would just like that they make it intersting at least. I did not feel concerned at all in the past games. It was just filler-like episodes.

In Lion King world (KH2), Simba does not want to be king, strictly 10 seconds later, he agrees to help the kingdom and kill scars. It was that aweful. It doesn't help that this world was a core to play on critical since you can't parry.
Except the part where neither Disney nor Nintendo are nearly as conservative as people think. Nintendo told Platinum to get Bayonetta's cleavage showing in her Link outfit and Disney has had downright bleak moments. Kingdom Hearts is more conservative than Disney by a significant margin. Or have we forgotten that Clayton was hung, Shan Yu was blown up, and Scar was literally torn apart by hyenas, none of which was remotely shown in the game.

Secondly, KH3 is the first game that has had Disney giving direct input on story and world crafting. Considering that both of the announced worlds have TV shows coming and we know that BH6 is a direct sequel to the movie, I think they want to use KH3 as marketing synergy.
Plus some more Infinity playsets.

I just read a comic where a couple of guys try to blackmail Donald's grandma for cash and she starts blasting them with a shotgun.

I would pay top dolla for KH script made by the old italian Disney masters. There has been some really trippy crossover comics over the years.

Malyse

I think we're done here.
Ima need you to hop on a goofy avatar for synergy with the two posts above you.

-----

Oh and just to take the teeth out of the "but those are old movies" argument, Facilier was literally dragged to hell and Gothel fell out a window while turning to dust and we saw what was left of her hit the ground. Bet that death gets changed if KH3 replays the plot of Tangled.

Kinsei

Banned
Harder than dancers in critical ?

Not as hard but by the time you first see dancers you have magnet and stuff whereas in KH 1 you barely have any abilities at this point. At this point the only abilities I have are EXP zero, stun impact, dodge roll, and treasure magnet.

DKHF

Talking about kingdom hearts over in gaming side always sucks
So many drive by posts shitting on the entire series from most likely largely people who missed one game and tried to play the next and were confused. They seem to not understand how a series with an ongoing story over multiple gens works.

So many drive by posts shitting on the entire series from most likely largely people who missed one game and tried to play the next and were confused. They seem to not understand how a series with an ongoing story over multiple gens works.
I should drop the metal gear solid bomb but im sure it'll be defendes to hell and back

DKHF

I should drop the metal gear solid bomb but im sure it'll be defendes to hell and back
That would actually be interesting, I've never seen anyone bring up MGS in any discussion about KH's story. From what I've played of MGS 1-3 and some of 4 KH has a way better and less nonsensical story. Especially the ending of MGS2, that was bad.

That would actually be interesting, I've never seen anyone bring up MGS in any discussion about KH's story. From what I've played of MGS 1-3 and some of 4 KH has a way better and less nonsensical story. Especially the ending of MGS2, that was bad.
They're alike im many ways. Stories spanning console gens,games on different platforms,if you skip one you miss out no matter how small the details. And both have a hard story to grasp

DKHF

They're alike im many ways. Stories spanning console gens,games on different platforms,if you skip one you miss out no matter how small the details. And both have a hard story to grasp
Yeah they are pretty much the only mainstream ongoing multi-gen franchises where each game is deeply linked (besides stuff like AC though most of the fans and Ubisoft seemed to stop caring about the ongoing story after 3 for that). This complaining will only get worse as KH3 draws closer too.

Secondly, KH3 is the first game that has had Disney giving direct input on story and world crafting. Considering that both of the announced worlds have TV shows coming and we know that BH6 is a direct sequel to the movie, I think they want to use KH3 as marketing synergy.
Plus some more Infinity playsets.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Disney made Square delay the game so they can put in Zootopia because it's doing so well. Hell, they'd probably do the same for Moana. Not that they would, but Disney loves that synchronicity.

zeemumu

tumblr_lycctqe10S1qe19ero1_r3_500.gif

tumblr_o45cunLErN1qju7buo1_400.gif

giphy.gif

tumblr_o45cunLErN1qju7buo2_400.gif

Demise

I played all the game in order and I still "shit on the entire serie" (to quote you) in the same thread and in the same way as them. You can be a moderate fan like I am, not only the extreme of both exist. I agree with the "KH1 is GOAT and the rest is shit" opinion.

Plus, you can't ask for people to play all the games, invest dozen of hours in them and buy all the plateform to understand a convulted story and just get away with it. That alone is a problem.

Malyse

I played all the game in order and I still "shit on the entire serie" (to quote you) in the same thread and in the same way as them. You can be a moderate fan like I am, not only the extreme of both exist. I agree with the "KH1 is GOAT and the rest is shit" opinion.

Plus, you can't ask for people to play all the games, invest dozen of hours in them and buy all the plateform to understand a convulted story and just get away with it. That alone is a problem.
To play all the games in the franchise you need all of two platforms, soon to be three: a 3DS for Re:coded, Days, and Dream Drop Distance, a PS3 for KH1FM, KH2FM, Re:CoM, and BBSFM. To get all of the story beats, you need to play three games: KH1FM, KH2FM and KH3D (reading the recaps therein). Sorry, but if you only read the first chapter of a book, a middle chapter, and the last one, you forfeit your right to complain about the story. Furthermore, it's not like there aren't books, manga, and YouTube "movies" that cover the events. Your lack of initiative ain't on us.

But arguing about story in video games is pointlessly stupid. There's like less than ten games with actually legitimately objectively good story.
original_24750052.jpg

aravuus

But arguing about story in video games is pointlessly stupid. There's like less than ten games with actually legitimately objectively good story.

Please, define "objectively good" to me

e: what I meant to say was: fuck outta here with that nonsense

Malyse

Please, define "objectively good" to me

Objectively as in not "good for a video game" but just plain "good". Games in general don't have good stories, they just are skilled in providing an impetus to proceed to the next plot point. If you think games have good stories, then you need to spend more time reading than playing games so you can learn what good writing looks like.

tumblr_ljuq1qUniw1qcm30wo1_r1_500.gif

Objectively as in not "good for a video game" but just plain "good". Games in general don't have good stories, they just are skilled in providing an impetus to proceed to the next plot point. If you think games have good stories, then you need to spend more time reading than playing games so you can learn what good writing looks like.

Ummm...wtf? You know what nevermind

Edit:wtf

aravuus

Oh wait, you're one of those pretentious fucks, never mind then.

I feel obligated to mention that I do in fact read a lot of books, though. Just started reading Count of Monte Cristo and I'm enjoying it, despite the weird ass translation.

Malyse

I do feel obligated to mention that I do in fact read a lot of books. Just started reading Count of Monte Cristo and I'm enjoying it, despite the weird ass translation.
I mean, if you want to argue that games have good story, and particularly Kingdom Hearts at that, feel free. I am absolutely going to laugh at you, but don't let that stop you.

Congrats on reading your book. Doesn't make the story in games more passable though.
Ummm...wtf? You know what nevermind

Edit:wtf
Games generally don't have good stories.

aravuus

I mean, if you want to argue that games have good story, and particularly Kingdom Hearts at that, feel free. I am absolutely going to laugh at you, but don't let that stop you.

Man, does this read as some fedora ass shit or what. I'm not going waste time arguing with you, but I would love to see YOU argue how every video game story, apart from the <10, is objectively shit. I'll give you pacing, cause, well, interactivity adds length.

Congrats on reading your book. Doesn't make the story in games more passable though.

Neither does it make them any worse

e: I am a bit curious as to what these few games are that you deem to have objectively good stories, though

Thats some prestigious,stuck up and arrogant shit to say honestly.

DKHF

Which is exactly why I said most likely. I didn't say every single poster criticising it hadn't played the whole series. Or that every poster tried playing a game after missing a installment in the series and hated the series for it. I'm saying what is most likely the case for 70% of posters in that thread who were specifically criticising the whole series not just KH1 or 2. They played KH1->KH2->then X handheld game and were confused. Or just KH1->KH2 without playing CoM. I'm fine with people who know the whole series' story criticising the whole series' story, not people who played separate parts of the story expecting it to make sense.

I don't think it is reasonable for someone to buy all the systems to play all the games at all. It's dumb that they were so spread out for years (not anymore though). But it is stupid to think that everything should make perfect sense for you after missing an entire chapter of a story.

Malyse's example about chapters in a book is perfect.

Malyse

Man, does this read as some fedora ass shit or what. I'm not going waste time arguing with you, but I would love to see YOU argue how every video game story, apart from the <10, is objectively shit. I'll give you pacing, cause, well, interactivity adds length.
That much salt will kill you. Also look up the definition of hyperbole.
I am a bit curious as to what these few games are that you deem to have objectively good stories, though
Two that immediately come to mind are Planescape Torment and The Longest Journey franchise. Again, it's not literally ten and it's should be fairly obvs that that was hyperbole for emphasis. The point is the vast overwhelming majority of game stories aren't good and are in fact just providing a motivation to get to the next plot point.
Stay mad doe. Most games don't have good story. korra.jpg

aravuus

That much salt will kill you. Also look up the definition of hyperbole.

Is this the classic "u mad" reply I got? Oh fuck yeah it is.

We're talking about objectivity right now, the universal truths, we've got no room for hyperbole here!

Two that immediately come to mind are Planescape Torment and The Longest Journey franchise. Again, it's not literally ten and it's should be fairly obvs that that was hyperbole for emphasis. The point is the vast overwhelming majority of game stories aren't good and are in fact just providing a motivation to get to the next plot point.

Here's a shocker: majority of books and movies and TV shows are also terrible - cause anyone can make em.

e: no wait, sanji got "u mad" almost word to word, I'm a bit jealous. I mean, it does say something about a person when all they literally seem to be able to come up with is "you're mad LOL", doesn't it?

Malyse

Welp dropping that convo. Once a you mad reply comes flying i back off ain't nobody got time for that
cause you were definitely helping
Is this the classic "u mad" reply I got? Oh fuck yeah it is.

We're talking about objectivity right now, the universal truths, we've got no room for hyperbole here!

Here's a shocker: majority of books and movies and TV shows are also terrible - cause anyone can make em.

e: no wait, sanji got "u mad" almost word to word, I'm a bit jealous. I mean, it does say something about a person when all they literally seem to be able to come up with is "you're mad LOL", doesn't it?
I mean, you think you have room to talk?

Don't know what you expected.

Perhaps if you didn't tell people to go read a book because they may like video games stories and just carried on with your opinion that most video game stories sucked it would have been fine.

aravuus

Don't know what you expected.

At least some imagination! You come off as hilariously pretentious, and I expect something fun, but only think you manage to produce is the enlightened "man, I'm so much better than them I'll just say they mad and leave it there" sort of stuff.

e: I mean, look at this shit

korra.jpg

If that ain't some boring reaction baiting, I don't know what is

another edit: I'm sorry for my hurtful words, I truly am, I didn't want to hurt you (WINK) - I still want you to tell me how a story can be objectively bad.

Malyse

Perhaps if you didn't tell people to go read a book because they may like video games stories and just carried on with your opinion that most video game stories sucked it would have been fine.
Except I'm not remotely saying that liking something makes it good or that you have to like good things. I like KH, but I don't pretend to think it's well written because it really isn't. The three titles with the most compelling stories in my opinion (BBS, Days, [chi]) require outside knowledge to land with full gravity. Like whatever you want. My favorite movies are Stardust and Enchanted. My favorite Final Fantasy is XIII. They aren't flawless (particularly FFXIII, which has myriad issues) but that has zero effect of the enjoyment I get playing them.
At least some imagination! You come off as hilariously pretentious, and I expect something fun, but only think you manage to produce is the enlightened "man, I'm so much better than them I'll just say they mad and leave it there" sort of stuff.

e: I mean, look at this shit

If that ain't some boring reaction baiting, I don't know what is

another edit: I'm sorry for my hurtful words, I truly am, I didn't want to hurt you (WINK) - I still want you to tell me how a story can be objectively bad.
and you come off as defensive and sensitive. Here's a question: why does it matter at all if something is good if you personally enjoy it?

Or we can pretend that objective quality is a myth. Whateves.

aravuus

and you come off as defensive and sensitive. Here's a question: why does it matter at all if something is good if you personally enjoy it?

Hey, I can see that - my posts do sound like they're pretty reactionary. But let me assure you, I'm simply annoyed.

e: not "salty or mad" annoyed tho lol before you come up with another witty salt comment - just "rolling my eyes" annoyed.

e2: also I'm playing Trackmania right now and definitely letting the pure, seething hatred I feel against my online opponents leak too much lmao

Or we can pretend that objective quality is a myth. Whateves.

Again, I implore you: tell me what it is that makes a story objectively good or objectively bad. Just, give it to me straight.

e: I mean, I'm not even fucking pretending that, jesus christ - I want you to explain it to me. I'm being very, very literal when I say I want you to explain it to me.

sad edit: I guess you don't believe me :( I'd like to think I'm fairly open to new ideas, so I'm genuinely curious if you're able convince me that there are indeed stories that can be factually, objectively good or bad - and that these measurements (or maybe attributes? really can't come up with a good word right now) are actually worth anything.

Top Bottom