• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

aravuus

How is the DLC in Squenix games usually? I recall FF XIII-2 at least having SOME kind of DLC to buy, but no idea what or if it's any good

How is the DLC in Squenix games usually? I recall FF XIII-2 at least having SOME kind of DLC to buy, but no idea what or if it's any good
Haven't seen a season pass from them yet i believe so that's always good. Im not really expecting any in kh. Maybe cosmetic if they go that route(doubt it nomura didn't even wanna give sora a new outfit)

Malyse

We all know it's going to be DLC + a re-issue of the main game with the DLC contents baked in for those who haven't bought it yet.
Well in that sense, yes there will be a "Final Mix", in the vein of a Game of the Year edition. Nothing that you would have to buy again like before.

zeemumu

Season pass with two additional worlds,7 extra keyblades and 3 more arenas for multiplayer(its happening i bet)

Disney would probably want them in Disney Infinity. I mean the keyblade and King Mickey already are but they aren't exactly easy to obtain.

Honestly if they put KH characters in Disney Infinitey I'd buy the figurines and probably never even touch the game. That King Mickey disc is still sitting on a shelf in my room unopened.

Famassu

I'm not really all that sure if there will be a Kingdom Hearts III Final Mix, or any DLC for the game for that matter. KHs haven't had DLC, not sure if they'll start doing it with KHIII. KHIII is also supposed to be the epic finale for the Xehanort Saga, so some Final Mix like added cutscenes and playable epilogues that lead into sequels aren't really something I'm seeing Nomura, Yasue & their gang doing this time around.

One of the reasons for Final Mix releases to even exist is because there are surprisingly large a number of people in Japan who want to play KH but also hear the OG English voices instead of Japanese "dubs" for beloved characters. With regionfree consoles & more consistently faster localization efforts (for bigger, more important games), many of the reasons why Final Mix releases even happened are gone.

With SQEX moving to a more simultaneous approach for the release of their biggest games and even offering dual audio for some games, I'm not seeing a situation where a Final Mix release makes sense. They are a product of their time that isn't all that necessary if everyone gets the same game ~simultaneously. Maybe they'll add some fun FF and/or Disney themed boss fights to Colosseum as DLC post-launch, but I'm not expecting anything too major otherwise. Certainly not story-heavy additional worlds & such.

botty

Banned
I'm not really all that sure if there will be a Kingdom Hearts III Final Mix, or any DLC for the game for that matter. KHs haven't had DLC, not sure if they'll start doing it with KHIII. KHIII is also supposed to be the epic finale for the Xehanort Saga, so some Final Mix like added cutscenes and playable epilogues that lead into sequels aren't really something I'm seeing Nomura, Yasue & their gang doing this time around.

One of the reasons for Final Mix releases to even exist is because there are surprisingly large a number of people in Japan who want to play KH but also hear the OG English voices instead of Japanese "dubs" for beloved characters. With regionfree consoles & more consistently faster localization efforts (for bigger, more important games), many of the reasons why Final Mix releases even happened are gone.

With SQEX moving to a more simultaneous approach for the release of their biggest games and even offering dual audio for some games, I'm not seeing a situation where a Final Mix release makes sense. They are a product of their time that isn't all that necessary if everyone gets the same game ~simultaneously. Maybe they'll add some fun FF and/or Disney themed boss fights to Colosseum as DLC post-launch, but I'm not expecting anything too major otherwise. Certainly not story-heavy additional worlds & such.

Or the fact that Kingdom Hearts has no digital presence outside of Dream Drop Distance's demo.

Malyse

isn't it a problem with the OST? Utada's music or something like that?

There's no proof of that and Hikaru doesn't have the rights to those songs: Disney does. When I say that Disney owns the copyright to literally everything that isn't a cameo in Kingdom Hearts, I mean that Disney owns the rights to literally everything that isn't a cameo in Kingdom Hearts.

Famassu

Which is Square-Enix's fault.
You just said Disney owns everything about Kingdom Hearts, so doesn't that make it more likely that it's something Disney related than SQEX related? The way Nomura has talked about it, they aren't unwilling to release KH digitally (hell, you yourself are playing a digital KH, but I guess that's not the same thing as releasing on consoles/handhelds), but something is keeping them from releasing the console games digitally. A company that releases a majority of their games digitally (outside of KH & Theatrhythm, pretty much everything in the last 5+ years), has put a lot of money behind (failed) digital gaming attempts like the whole Shin-Ra Streaming tech and whatnot isn't a company that just so decides to not release one of their biggest franchises digitally for no reason.

Malyse

You just said Disney owns everything about Kingdom Hearts, so doesn't that make it more likely that it's something Disney related than SQEX related? The way Nomura has talked about it, they aren't unwilling to release KH digitally (hell, you yourself are playing a digital KH, but I guess that's not the same thing as releasing on consoles/handhelds), but something is keeping them from releasing the console games digitally. A company that releases a majority of their games digitally (outside of KH & Theatrhythm, pretty much everything in the last 5+ years), has put a lot of money behind (failed) digital gaming attempts like the whole Shin-Ra Streaming tech and whatnot isn't a company that just so decides to not release one of their biggest franchises digitally for no reason.

Except Disney has been putting their console releases on PC since the PS2. They made the biggest game IP a free to play game. And lest we forget, Disney was making a mobile KH game on their own, which would indicate they're not the ones who have a problem with it. Disney owns the IP, but they generally don't interfere with Square's decisions, something Nomura has explicitly and directly said.

Famassu

Except Disney has been putting their console releases on PC since the PS2. They made the biggest game IP a free to play game. And lest we forget, Disney was making a mobile KH game on their own, which would indicate they're not the ones who have a problem with it. Disney owns the IP, but they generally don't interfere with Square's decisions, something Nomura has explicitly and directly said.
And SQEX made their own. If that line of thinking was good enough to support any side of the argument, then we'd have had KH released digitally by now, whether that would be because SQEX, Disney or some third party we don't know about.

And that Nomura statement was more about what they can do in regards to how they use Disney characters & worlds in Kingdom Hearts games. As long as they stay somewhat true to the characters & style of Disney (i.e. Mickey doesn't suddenly turn into bloodlusty murderer with blood flying left & right), they don't have all that many restrictions as to what characters & movies they can use. It had nothing to do with any business side decisions like whether or not they can release games digitally. When asked directly why they haven't been released digitally, he said something in the veins of "we'd like to do it, but things like that are out of my control". And this is the man who got execs to agree that putting a story-heavy, interconnected franchise to every different portable gaming machine in existence is a good idea. So if Nomura wanted to do it and there were no obstacles, I'm sure we'd at least had KH1.5 or 2.5 released digitally..

Again, you gave absolutely no good reason to think Square Enix was behind the decision. They are heavily pushing all kinds of interactive digital content, release most everything digitally nowadays, are heavily invested in digital only services like Steam and iOS and Android's mobile gaming & even tried creating some services themselves. They are more invested in digital side of things than Disney nowadays who don't do much in the realm of video games except Disney Infinity, some more or less mediocre iOS shit and license their properties for other developers/publishers for the occasional Disney-themed cash grabs for their own franchises (i.e. Just Dance Disney Edition).

And what does PS2 releases on PC have to do with anything in this argument? Is that even true? Going through a list of Disney games around that era, I don't see many that have been released on both PS2 & PC. Not that the list is necessarily 100% thorough, so maybe it's missing some stuff, but there aren't all that many games that are on PS2 & PC/Windows and those are from other publishers (like THQ) who've just bought licenses to Disney franchises so they can do whatever the hell they want with those games.

botty

Banned
There's no proof of that and Hikaru doesn't have the rights to those songs: Disney does. When I say that Disney owns the copyright to literally everything that isn't a cameo in Kingdom Hearts, I mean that Disney owns the rights to literally everything that isn't a cameo in Kingdom Hearts.

I think there is a theory about Hikari and Passion not being able to be digitally distributed outside of Japan.

zeemumu

Daybreak Town looks nice.

CeoxZ_pXIAA-TDh.jpg:large

Malyse

I think there is a theory about Hikari and Passion not being able to be digitally distributed outside of Japan.

What do that have to do with the international releases of KH that use Simple and Clean and Sanctuary.

And what does PS2 releases on PC have to do with anything in this argument? Is that even true? Going through a list of Disney games around that era, I don't see many that have been released on both PS2 & PC. Not that the list is necessarily 100% thorough, so maybe it's missing some stuff, but there aren't all that many games that are on PS2 & PC/Windows and those are from other publishers (like THQ) who've just bought licenses to Disney franchises so they can do whatever the hell they want with those games.

Literally everything.

Disney was releasing their games on PC well before Square was releasing anything other than MMO's. They put everything from Disney Princess to Tron games on console and PC and they've been consistent about it, hitting major releases like infinity as well as their smaller ones like the two aforementioned. Completely unlike Square's FFVII, FFVIII, large gap of time, Last Remnant, FFXIII trilogy, and a few ports of remakes with no FFX. The fact that one company was embracing it while the other was dragging their feet is a pretty clear implication of who's to blame. Disney has no issue with PC games. Their releases show that quite clearly. Square on the other hand does, just like every other Japanese game company.

Ydelnae

It won't happen, I know, but I wish they made 3D non-canon. It ruined the plot for me. There was no need for
time travel and multiple Xehanorts
. In the ideal world, KH3 begins with Sora waking up from a nightmare (KH3D) and stating that it wasn't real.

It won't happen, I know, but I wish they made 3D non-canon. It ruined the plot for me. There was no need for
. In the ideal world, KH3 begins with Sora waking up from a nightmare (KH3D) and stating that it wasn't real.
Kh3d is important as hell it wasn't only about learning xehanorts plans.

Sora gets the memories of roxas
Learns he needs to save aqua,ven,terra
Learns why he Even has the keyblade
Riku becomes a master...i could go on

Malyse

Nah.

You already had four Xehanorts as of BBS and I'd rather a villain who has a plan (that can be traced through literally every game save [chi]) than one who is doing it "for reasons".

Nah.

You already had four Xehanorts as of BBS and I'd rather a villain who has a plan (that can be traced through literally every game save [chi]) than one who is doing it "for reasons".
Have you finished chi? Or is it still going? If its the latter...I'd hold off on this statement lol. That'd be so cool

Literally everything.

Disney was releasing their games on PC well before Square was releasing anything other than MMO's. They put everything from Disney Princess to Tron games on console and PC and they've been consistent about it, hitting major releases like infinity as well as their smaller ones like the two aforementioned. Completely unlike Square's FFVII, FFVIII, large gap of time, Last Remnant, FFXIII trilogy, and a few ports of remakes with no FFX. The fact that one company was embracing it while the other was dragging their feet is a pretty clear implication of who's to blame. Disney has no issue with PC games. Their releases show that quite clearly. Square on the other hand does, just like every other Japanese game company.

I'm hoping it's more because they don't want to port over PS3 code to PC unless they're making a PS4 version of 1.5 and 2.5

I am sure 2.8 has a good chance of seeing a PC release mostly because it's a PS4 release, but we'll see if the game is even offered digitally. They have been quiet on that front.

Ydelnae

I'm not saying it wasn't important. But I think a better resolution would have been to just have Terranort back as the main villain along with Isa and Braig. There was no need for another Org. XIII, and no need for time travel (especially explained that way). I'm not complaining about anything else, but that was dumb, pretty dumb, and not the direction the series should have taken.

I'm not saying it wasn't important. But I think a better resolution would have been to just have Terranort back as the main villain along with Isa and Braig. There was no need for another Org. XIII, and no need for time travel (especially explained that way). I'm not complaining about anything else, but that was dumb, pretty dumb, and not the direction the series should have taken.
If you think about it the series was always heading that way tho. Over the course of all the games the setup does legit make sense

Malyse

Have you finished chi? Or is it still going? If its the latter...I'd hold off on this statement lol. That'd be so cool

There's no way to tie in Xehanort since it actually takes place in the past (with some caveats that are the only thing I would say are legitimately confusing in the franchise), plus it would be directly at odds with his stated motivations: see what lies beyond the keyblade war. If he's there, why doesn't he know? No, that doesn't work. What would be more interesting and more plausible is if he had somehow been blocked from that time period and he required the Book of Prophecies and the χ-blade to get in.

And we still have a few chapters more. So far, we've been roughly following the stories of the princesses of heart (plus Olympus) and we haven't even met Cinderella or Sleeping Beauty. Though that will likely not take long, since we tore through Beast's Castle in like two updates.

There's no way to tie in Xehanort since it actually takes place in the past (with some caveats that are the only thing I would say are legitimately confusing in the franchise), plus it would be directly at odds with his stated motivations: see what lies beyond the keyblade war. If he's there, why doesn't he know? No, that doesn't work. What would be more interesting and more plausible is if he had somehow been blocked from that time period and he required the Book of Prophecies and the χ-blade to get in.

And we still have a few chapters more. So far, we've been roughly following the stories of the princesses of heart (plus Olympus) and we haven't even met Cinderella or Sleeping Beauty. Though that will likely not take long, since we tore through Beast's Castle in like two updates.
Oooo would that be possible? Would the foretellers(thats the name right) have the power to stop him from entering that time

Malyse

Oooo would that be possible? Would the foretellers(thats the name right) have the power to stop him from entering that time
The book of prophecies is how we ended up in the past, so I assume they have some safeguard in place to prevent pulling villainous wielders from coming.
Granted, we are in the realm of sleep, so who knows what can and can't happen.

Of course, there's also Skuld who serves as a massive spanner in the works.

The book of prophecies is how we ended up in the past, so I assume they have some safeguard in place to prevent pulling villainous wielders from coming.
Granted, we are in the realm of sleep, so who knows what can and can't happen.

Of course, there's also Skuld who serves as a massive spanner in the works.
Damn. God i love kingdom hearts i have to play chi

Malyse

Damn. God i love kingdom hearts i have to play chi
[chi] is secretly my favorite game in the series. Like, [Player] is the most over powered playable character in the series. You have a Ars Arcanum move that ends with you firing a point blank Kamehameha explosion. You have a move where you summon one of Xemnas's ethereal blade (except Jedi color instead of Sith) and do a double (!) Arcanum attack with both weapons, ending with you casting Tornado and Thundaga with your finishing blow. You have a Strike Raid where you throw the keyblade through an enemy, teleport to the other side, catch it, and throw it back to yourself. Instead of Mega Flare, you chain cast three of them together. From point blank range. And did I mention that you don't have a standard attack? These aren't special moves; these are how you go at everyone.

Plus that crafting system. Everything levels up. You level up. Your keyblade levels up. Your attacks level up. Your HP levels up. Your skills level. Your guilt levels up. And in Unchained, your clothing levels up too. It's crazy how the best systems are in the free to play PC/Mobile game.

------

I just realized a major difference in the plot of Unchained and [chi]: Unchained doesn't have guilt, only Lux. I don't know what that means yet, but I doubt it's just a game mechanic thing.

aravuus

I love it when there's a stupid amount of different stuff to level up. Feels like you're progressing every minute thanks to all the level ups lol.

Malyse

Oh and one other thing: you have the strongest keyblades in the franchise. For example:

TAV's Treasure Trove:
Treasure_Trove_(Terra)_KHBBS.png

[Player]'s Treasure Trove:
635px-Treasure_Trove_%28Upgrade_4%29_KHX.png

Sora's Lady Luck:
Lady_Luck_KH.png

[Player]'s Lady Luck:
611px-Lady_Luck_%28Upgrade_4%29_KHX.png

I'm hoping Oathkeeper and Oblivion show up. And an Ultima Weapon, though they might be calling this the Ultima:

593px-Moogle_of_Glory_%28Upgrade_3%29_KHX.png

Plot spoiler speculation:
I think that Skuld represents a non-evil form of darkness, Ephemera represents pure light, and that someone is going to manipulate Skuld and Ephemera into fighting, this forming the χ-blade. While the game lets you customize literally everything about your character, the one thing you can't change is the blue eyes. Outside of Master Eraqus (grey) and Lea (green), all of the light side wielders have blue eyes. All the darkness ones have brown eyes. Same color as Skuld.

zeemumu

Plot spoiler speculation:
I think that Skuld represents a non-evil form of darkness, Ephemera represents pure light, and that someone is going to manipulate Skuld and Ephemera into fighting, this forming the χ-blade.

So reverse-gender Riku and Kairi?

If you go off of their names and interpret Skuld being short for skulduggery, you could assume that Skuld is going to use Ephemera as a pawn.

Malyse

Yeah you're right.
Skuld decided the fates of others according to this.

Can you link the translated version of this game?

Are you asking where I get my translations?

There's a English video series and KHI's page (pretty sure both are goldpanner's work), plus plenty on tumblr.

Famassu

What do that have to do with the international releases of KH that use Simple and Clean and Sanctuary.

Literally everything.

Again, so fucking what? PC is irrelevant to the discussion we are having. We are discussing the notion as to why Kingdom Hearts isn't available on PSN or Nintendo's eShop even though there have been many KH games released since those digital release platforms were established & took off more or less successfully. And there have been Square Enix games of all kinds on those platforms, so why no KH? THAT is what we are discussing about and PC really has fuck all to do with this particular problem.

Even if it had anything to do with anything, why are you ignoring the point of Square Enix embracing the digital age NOWADAYS? Who gives a shit about early 2000s. Even if there was a point to your extremely weak, shitty argument that Disney was more open to PC in the early 2000s while Square Enix was still happy on consoles, the fact is Square Enix has ZERO problems with digital distribution nowadays. That they didn't have PC games in 2001 or whatever means nothing when we look at the Square Enix of today or are discussing the problem of Kingdom Hearts not getting released digitally for PS3 or 3DS gamers.

Just because FFX or some other old SQEX games aren't available on Steam, that doesn't mean they have something against digital distribution. Besides, there have been more or less reliable signs pointing to the possibility that FFX | X-2 HD is coming and they are even doing a new FFIX PC (& mobile) port that is sold exclusively digitally, a company with some axe to grind with digital distribution wouldn't do anything like that. Most of those kinds of releases come down to timing (how to time the release in relation to other games, what kind of resources they have at their disposal to do the actual porting at any given time etc.) or simple business decisions of the "will we make back our investment/enough profit?" sort. FFX is probably coming, but maybe they want to release the FFs they are bringing to PC in release order, so X won't be made available until after IX has been released. KH's digital problem can't be timing-related since they can just release the same "game file" on the same platform on the same day physical release is released, so there's no porting or "waiting for a good moment to release the game" involved because the game is released at that time anyways. It sure as hell isn't a business-related problem, at least sales-driven problems, given how successful KHs are. They'd surely sell well on digital platforms.

They aren't a company with ANYTHING against digital distribution, no matter if they were slow to moving platforms other than consoles in the early 2000s, anyone with half a brain should see that. On the other hand, Disney has had an EXTREMELY rocky relationship with videogames in the past 10 years. Apart from the successful Disney Infinity, their own games & IPs licensed to other publishers have failed miserably far more often than not (the quality of their games & licensed Disney games dropped to abysmal levels, sales numbers have dropped or not risen enough to offset rising development costs), they cancelled promising projects like Star Wars 1313, shut down LucasArts' own game development completely, shut down other development studios, have done almost NOTHING in the video game realm to try to leverage the huge success of the MCU etc. Disney isn't all that interested in "traditional" game development anymore. Disney Infinity is a cynical attempt to sell toys more than it is them being passionate about games, most of the other Disney IP games nowadays are cynical F2P shit or Disney themed games from other franchises.

That said, I'm not saying it's surely Disney, just that it's far more likely that it's Disney than SQEX who are still heavily invested in video games & digital distribution + have greatly invested in all kinds of digital gaming incentives in the past 5-10 years. Considering Square Enix's actions in the past 5-7+ years, it's obvious that they have nothing against digital distribution, so you making definite claims about them being the ones to blame about KH not being available digitally based on flimsy reasoning doesn't fly. SQEX is the LEAST likely one to blame (why would they shut out more revenue streams?). Disney is more likely, as are some possible 3rd parties that we don't know about because we aren't necessarily privy to all the contracts that go into releasing these games.

Famassu

Because digital presence can't include Steam.

Because the comment I responded to specifically said PSN.

K.
It can, but that's not what the discussion was about. The post you quoted didn't say "it's not available on PC." The discussion started with my comment that there is no DLC available for Kingdom Hearts, with which I obviously meant on the platforms that KHs are available on that have the possibility of DLC (so it has zero to do with PC). Then someone (botty?) pointed out KH is just generally not present digitally, small DLC or full games, doesn't matter. All in all I took the comment to be about the more general lack of digital presence for KH, about the fact that bigger KH games aren't available digitally ANYWHERE, not even on the platforms that get those games. It wasn't some kind of commentary on PC still missing KH games. You blamed Square Enix for KH not being available digitally. Only in the second post did you make your horrible Disney PC arguments.

Just because PSN wasn't specifically mentioned in the post you quoted doesn't mean it wasn't pretty clear that PSN (& eShop) were mostly the topics in hand, especially when we've probably had this same "why isn't KH available digitally" discussion in this very thread or at least at NeoGAF several times in the past, which has pretty much always been about people wanting to buy Dream Drop Distance from eShop or 1.5 or 2.5 from PSN. "Why isn't KH available on PC" is usually a completely separate discussion(/port begging) and while PC means having to have a digital release nowadays (not in 2001), having digital releases isn't the kind of issue that really gets brought up with PC nowadays and as such you taking "lack of digital presence" of Kingdom Hearts and making it about "no KH on PC" is ass-pull level argumentation that has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

Even if the reason for the lack behind both might be the same (if there are licensing or other contractual issues with a digital release of KH, that would shut out KH on PSN, eShop as well as Steam), that still doesn't mean that your argument about Disney releasing PC games in 2001 being some kind of irrefutable proof that Disney has nothing to do with KH not being available digitally & Squaresoft/Square Enix not releasing FFX for PC in 2001 is damning proof that it is Square Enix's fault is in any way a good one. Companies evolve. I've pointed you tons of ways of how Square Enix has clearly embraced digital distribution while Disney has retreated from traditional game development, so you going all "nuh-uh, Disney 2001! PC!" is one shitty argument, even if it had anything to do with the topic at hand, which was "KHs availability digitally", not "KHs availability on PC."

Malyse

Who do you want to fight in the coliseum? List name and origin and (if you have one) reason/explanation.

-----

I'm going to put my wish list for cups.

Galactic Cup (all from Star Wars)

• Round 1: Stormtroopers
  • Round 2: Boba Fett
  • Round 3: General Grievous
  • Round 4: Darth Maul
  • Round 5: Kylo Ren
  • Final Round: Darth Vader

Heroic Cup (all from Marvel)

• Round 1: Hawkeye and Black Widow
  • Round 2: Warmachine and Winter Soldier
  • Round 3: Thor
  • Round 4: Hulk
  • Round 5: Spider-Man
  • Round 6: Iron Man
  • Round 7: Captain America
  • Final Round: The Avengers

Also a villains cup with the Marvel villains and a Force Cup with the Jedi heroes.
I also want to get to choose what character I use in the coliseum.

Top Bottom