• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Malyse

Ava is probably going to be the lead protagonist of Back Cover.

-----

So I think I've finally nailed down how [chi] and Unchained works, but it's confusing as hell to explain. I'll sit on it, as I should get confirmation in an update to either of the JP versions. But my core theory is that they are simultaneously the same and not the same and aren't parallel dimensions either.

-----

Oh fuck.

3D makes it fully possible for another game that takes place in the gap between CoM and KH2, dealing with Sora having some kind of adventure in a Sleeping Realm while Naminé reconstructs his memory. And you *know* that they would do that.
From my point of view the Unicorns are evil!

Ira and Gula know how to keep their fucking heads down. Also Ira has this seven cut Zantetsuken attack that's ridiculously badass.

Tsunamo

Beauty and the Beast world finale spoilers
I see the heartless that Gastons darkness summoned retains his manliness.
http://images.khinsider.com/KINGDOM HEARTS X/Artwork/Enemies/Malicious Reindeer.png
That's because Unchained is all critical path and doesn't really do non story events, like the summer festival or easter egg hunts. That plus the fact that they are putting out much more content at once than [chi] ever did on top of the fact that there's no Fuck you and your keyblade, literally impossible enemies like the level 555 heartless that [chi] occasionally tosses at you, makes it pretty easy.
That is true. I still didn't expect it to get so close so quick though.

I forget that we might see how Mickey got the Kingdom Key D in 0.2 considering how long Nomuras been wanting to tell that story, even as far back as 358/2 Days (might even be further if i'm remembering right, but Days is the first I remember of him mentioning wanting to tell that story/that there is a story there)

And on another note it's interesting that Ven was supposed to get a variation/version of the Kingdom Hearts D in the form of lightseeker but it got cut for one reason or another (but it's still in vanilla birth by sleeps code and possible to get it usable in-game)

Malyse

If this is what I think it is, it's a little late no? Why bother playing [chi] now? Still, for achival purposes and for those unlucky few who can't run KHxU for whatever reason...

Actually it was started before Unchained was announced and you seem to not realize how much of a completely different game [chi] is. This is more different than coded is to Re:coded. If we were lucky, we would unlock a mobile port of [chi] after the story of Unchained was complete.

Psxphile

Actually, come to think of it I think I've seen that url before. Anyone of you guys link this here in the past at some point?

Actually it was started before Unchained was announced and you seem to not realize how much of a completely different game [chi] is. This is more different than coded is to Re:coded. If we were lucky, we would unlock a mobile port of [chi] after the story of Unchained was complete.

I don't, I really don't. On the surface I see UI differences, medals instead of cards (wondering how some of the more elaborate card artwork is going to look as medals), and I"m sure there's been a bunch of events that have taken place over the years. This is all without actually playing it, of course.

Malyse

• The way you get items is different. You have to pick them up at cost to your AP instead of just running them over.
  • There are less battles, but they are harder.
  • There's no rewards for finishing in one turn.
  • Your Lux and your level are not connected.
  • Individual battles cost AP, so retries only cost the AP you spent instead of jewels.
  • Jewels don't exist; they have charge munny instead that very rarely gets given for free.
  • Cards have fantastic art and there are so. fucking. many cards. As of last update, there are 1826 cards.
  • You can't evolve a card into a higher rarity, with the exception of SR+ (equivalent to 6*). SR+ at max level and max limit can be purified into a higher level, and then fused with SR+ fusion moogles to increase the power to stupid high levels.
  • You only attack in special attacks.
  • You build a deck of nine attacks, three of which are randomly chosen to play out consecutively. Instead five medal slots that you build from three, you always have all nine deck spots available.
  • The bonus damage has two facets: first is element type order (for example, Starlight has a bonus for Power in the first spot, Magic in second, Speed in the third) the second is for card type order (Starlight is Upright, Upright, Reverse, meaning two heroic cards followed by a villain triples the damage of all attacks).
  • Guilt is based on killing whatever heartless are the guilt targets for the period, which is a month IIRC and will always tie into an event if one is happening.
  • Raid Bosses won't one hit kill you; you can go up to six rounds against one.
  • Raid Bosses don't consume AP; they have their own BP gauge that is five dots long.
  • You are directly competing with a rival Union on raid bosses to try to do the most damage.
  • If you attack within three minute of a teammate, you chain damage together.
  • Omega forms aren't random; there's a set percentage chance of the next raid being omega and defeating regular bosses increases it. Quick fights increase the percentage more.
  • Raid bosses come every ten minutes and stick around for half an hour.
  • You can freely recharge your AP and BP whenever you like with a potion and ether respectively or both with an elixer; I currently have an unknown number of potions and ethers. It's more than 999 of each shrug.
  • You freely roam the various worlds.
  • Keyblades have five evolutions instead of three and max out at level 50.
  • Your AP is tied to the number of party members you have.
  • There are Lux up times which increase the Lux you get and guilt up times which ensure all heartless drop max guilt.
  • There are a number of Fuck You and Your Keyblade fights, including far too many bosses.
  • Story missions aren't replayable.
  • Missions flow into each other: one mission will be find Chirithy in wonderland which you clear by talking to him; while talking he will give you a summary of the next mission which immediately starts when he finishes.
  • There are a number of daily mission, event missions, and regular missions along with story missions. A daily might be kill 25 heartless, a regular might be kill 100 heartless, and the event might be kill the 10 watermelon heartless. The missions stack too: finish the watermelon hearts and your regular will be 90 and the daily 15.
  • You have attack cards and support cards; attacks work like what you know of medals, but the support cards increase your total HP and have a lux multiplier.
  • Fusing a card with itself doesn't increase your special (because you only attack with your special) but rather increases the max level for your card.
  • Skills can be detached and reattached freely assuming you have the munny to afford it. And it's expensive as hell.
  • [chi] also has much better skills like double or triple attack, reflect, full barrier, second chance, and curaga.
  • There are multiple shops with multiple "currencies". There are three card shops: the raise draw which is a real money shop though you occasionally get tickets for it, the ticket shop where you exchange gold, silver, and bronze tickets for cards of decreasing rarity, and the friend point shop, where you trade friend points for level up fusion cards. You get a free friend draw daily. There's the moogle coin shop where you can trade moogle coins for high purity material, level up cards, Keyblade components, outfits and more. There's also the SR and SR+ moogle medals that can be traded for SR and SR+ support and attack medals.
  • Login in bonus is a bingo board instead of a straight up reward.
  • There are lots more ways to spend money and a lot more content is unattainable by F2P players.
  • Outfits are just clothing. There's no stats attached to them.
  • Oh and there are a ton more outfits.
  • The Backyard. This holds your excess cards until you have room in storage, but doesn't prevent you from going on missions.
  • Raid Bosses have keyblade weaknesses.
  • You can't change your gender or your Union like in Unchained, this one is a downer.
  • Story missions aren't repeatable true, but there is a much cooler theater mode.
  • The missions are more diverse. In Unchained you always have to defeat a Heartless, in χ[chi] you also have to find characters, explore new locations or search for items. There is also less padding.
  • The game is easier than Unchained. All story bosses only cost 1 AP and and continues don't cost jewels, so you can beat them with a stick until they die eventually. [You can also just leave your browser open and recover AP via time if you don't have the potions to take on a level 555

It's also worth noting that SE seems to be counting χ[chi] and Unchained χ as separate entries at the moment and not displacing one for the other as was done for Re: Chain of Memories and Re: coded.

Frankly, [chi] is a more nuanced and deeper experience and I've honestly always been a little disappointed in Unchained as a result. Same level of let down as Xenosaga to Xenoblade or Devil May Cry to DmC.

That was much longer than I expected.

botty

Banned
A long post devoid of anything plot related. X/chi/unchained/etc in a nutshell.

Anyway, I'm beginning to subscribe to the whole dataspace theory

aravuus

The beginning of KH2 (yes, really, fucking loved the mysterious start as a kid and thus I still love it) and pretty much everything that happens after you reach the World That Never Was

e: and KH1 ending

i cri everytim

e2: I should finish all these great new games I've been playing so I can replay KH again

Psxphile

What are you guys favorite moments from Kingdom Hearts?

Gonna go with an unconventional answer and say the prelude to the fight with Kurt Zisa in KH1. Hell, the whole fight is good stuff, but the lead up with Kurt crashing through the sand swiping at the heroes, the music swelling, Carpet getting spooked and dropping the squad onto the arena with a DOF Kurt turning to face them getting ready to charge... that's some good shit right there.

Helps that Kurt is one of the more imposing Heartless to appear in the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIZmvHC2eq8

botty

Banned
Favorite moments?

The prologue of KH2.. I think Roxas' time in the data version of Twilight Town is the most immersive and fleshed out a world has been in the entire series. Also, the this houses the "Summer vacation is over" line, which is arguably the best piece of voice acting in the entire series bar some Ansem the Wise lines.

Land of Dragons/Pride Rock... I really loved how Musha/Simba, who were summons previously, got their own worlds and fondly remembered Sora during their first journey. The consistency and threads within the series is what really keeps bringing everyone back, I believe.

Fighting Axel as Roxas with two key blades... this moment really set the tone for how the back end of Kingdom Hearts 2 would play out: super flashy and super fast. What's unfortunate is that we don't really–REALLY get to connect with the frustration and tension between these two until after you play/watch 358/2 days.

The ending of KH2... honestly, the series could have ended with this. The story comes full circle, with S/R/K happily ending up back on Destiny Islands; the story began with them wanting to leave the island, so the fact that the story resolves with them going back is great storytelling, emotionally effective, perfectly wrapped. "You're home." Shame the story will probably end on such an open-ended and sour note with III.

The nightmare sequence in 358/2 days... arguably the most confusing scene in all of Kingdom hearts (not including the stupidity of Dream Drop Distance's time travel), Roxas/Xion's nightmare is borderline impossible to comprehend on the initial watch, and really needs time to digest to get it. 358/2 days has a lot of scenes like this, which is why I typically champion it for being the most complex game in the series.

Xion's death in 358/2 days... super sad, and also a very important moment for understanding how Roxas (as a nobody) functions. People say the "who will I have ice-cream with?" line is corny and out of place, but Roxas is a nobody seemingly devoid of true emotions, and responds to a death the only way he knows how--until something clicks within him and he sheds a tear.

I have more, but only 2 and 358/2 are worth going into detail about.

Malyse

Your speech in [chi]. You're a virtually silent protagonist only having spoken twice in the game so far and you finally get pushed so far that you give this great "Fuck you, fight me" speech to a person you definitely can't beat, all for the sake of a friend.

------

DCCD0vT.png

I won! I finally fucking won!

Tsunamo

I really really loved Soras my friends are my power speech in the original Kingdom Hearts. the series retreading over it with stuff like Vens throwback (or forward I guess?) to it, the series empathising that as soras real power further on and Sora retreading it again make ie even more fantastic now.

The Kingdom Hearts 1 ending was powerful and an emotional moment for me too aswell, gets me everytime, and then you have that followed up by Deep Dive/Another Side, Another Story was amazing.

Birth By Sleep (the secret ending) was also great the first time around when we knew nothing about the game before it was announced, had a similar effect to Deep Dive.

And then finally you have Blank Points which while wasn't like the other secret endings was really great for showing everyone Sora needs to save left up until that point saying Soras name and the final shot cutting to him, Riku and Kairi in the present time teasing the future. That with Aquas theme and Deadly Beloved playing made it so emotional.

The other secret endings while great didn't really have the same impact as them.
Your speech in [chi]. You're a virtually silent protagonist only having spoken twice in the game so far and you finally get pushed so far that you give this great "Fuck you, fight me" speech to a person you definitely can't beat, all for the sake of a friend.
This got me aswell. The protagonist not speaking before that speech would've made it feel really weird and out of field to me, but saying a few lines beforehand showed they could talk, but that speech in particular was fantastic, especially ending on raise your keyblade.

If anyone wants to watch it in English and doesn't mind spoilers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDzMYUej9Ts
That FUCKING THING. What a PAIN in the ASS. UGH.
As much as of a pain as it was I didn't find it as bad as the Hades or Ava fights (but I had really really bad cards and didn't know the upgrade system well back then)
I think I spent something rediculous like 50+ AP on both battles due to getting one shotted everytime.

Kingdom Hearts 2.8 and KH3 REQUIRED to use PS4K powah if GB is to be believed. Ready yo wallet Botty.

Donald feather physics hype.
And it'll still be capped at 30fps :3

Favorite moments?

The prologue of KH2.. I think Roxas' time in the data version of Twilight Town is the most immersive and fleshed out a world has been in the entire series. Also, the this houses the "Summer vacation is over" line, which is arguably the best piece of voice acting in the entire series bar some Ansem the Wise lines.

Land of Dragons/Pride Rock... I really loved how Musha/Simba, who were summons previously, got their own worlds and fondly remembered Sora during their first journey. The consistency and threads within the series is what really keeps bringing everyone back, I believe.

Fighting Axel as Roxas with two key blades... this moment really set the tone for how the back end of Kingdom Hearts 2 would play out: super flashy and super fast. What's unfortunate is that we don't really–REALLY get to connect with the frustration and tension between these two until after you play/watch 358/2 days.

The ending of KH2... honestly, the series could have ended with this. The story comes full circle, with S/R/K happily ending up back on Destiny Islands; the story began with them wanting to leave the island, so the fact that the story resolves with them going back is great storytelling, emotionally effective, perfectly wrapped. "You're home." Shame the story will probably end on such an open-ended and sour note with III.

The nightmare sequence in 358/2 days... arguably the most confusing scene in all of Kingdom hearts (not including the stupidity of Dream Drop Distance's time travel), Roxas/Xion's nightmare is borderline impossible to comprehend on the initial watch, and really needs time to digest to get it. 358/2 days has a lot of scenes like this, which is why I typically champion it for being the most complex game in the series.

Xion's death in 358/2 days... super sad, and also a very important moment for understanding how Roxas (as a nobody) functions. People say the "who will I have ice-cream with?" line is corny and out of place, but Roxas is a nobody seemingly devoid of true emotions, and responds to a death the only way he knows how--until something clicks within him and he sheds a tear.

I have more, but only 2 and 358/2 are worth going into detail about.

Agree with a lot of your choices. Specially Roxas vs axel.

Also i'd say KH2 is really, really enjoyable once riku joins you and the crazyness gets an up. The attacks, the fights (the xemnas one is infamous but i love it, it's flashy, it's atmospheric, you have the relevant characters being useful (and not the usual donald/goofy corpses for fucking bad ai), etc).

zeemumu

KH2 really pushed everything up to 11. The boss fights were flashier with better animations and more combo options, the Gummi missions were actually enjoyable to look at and play instead of an inconvenience like they were in the first game, and everything felt faster overall. And I lost my shit over dual wielding keyblades the first time I saw it.

Tsunamo

I did but those being archived aswell is great too.

And playing Chi makes me even more sad it's being shutdown in September.

I like Unchained but the game is just so much more enjoyable and feels like a much bigger and active title with the constant in-game events and the whole world being put out there for exploration, rather than having it separated into small segements/missions for mobile. At least it had a good run.
People really should pay more attention to me.
I paid a ton of attention to Dreamy Drop, where's that fellow nowadays anyway?
:p

Malyse

??? What kinda missions where there?

Find this character.
Collect these items
Talk to this character
Find this place

For example, some of the missions that had you go to like Agrabah or Wonderland four and five times in a row were just one longer mission in [chi]

GoldStarz

Find this character.
Collect these items
Talk to this character
Find this place

For example, some of the missions that had you go to like Agrabah or Wonderland four and five times in a row were just one longer mission in [chi]

Honestly, that sounds like 10x better than UX

Malyse

Honestly, that sounds like 10x better than UX

[chi] was a superior game by far. Honestly, with the control scheme it has, they could have done a one to one port of [chi] to mobile devices. I understand why they didn't, what with [chi] missions being about as long as ones in Days (five to ten minutes) in oppose to the two minutes at most of Unchained, but the game is just plain inferior to the browser version. The mission variety and the daily missions are the biggest setbacks IMO, but you can see the massive list I made.

-----
What the fuck is this Nomura.
coded on the left, re:coded on the right.
tumblr_o5lkq4qYZh1u8uql1o1_1280.jpg

Kairi doesn't have a big role in Re:coded so I guess that why they removed her, but that's still a lazy edit.

Also when UX gets announced for Europe can someone post here. Ty.

Mediking

One of my favorite KH quotes is: "You know nothing so you don't understand nothing." I think Ansem said something similar to that... lol

Malyse

T__________________T

I just figured out how Xehanort could be shoehorned in [chi]. Recall that after body jacking Terra and fighting Aqua he suffered memory loss. Now, what if the sixth apprentice had body jacked Xehanort as a kid and lost a number of his memories outside of how to make the [chi]blade and that something happened in the War. Tell me that's not something they would gleefully pull.

-----

More importantly, what the fuck have we been fighting? Cause those ain't heartless: killing them doesn't unleash a heart like it does in literally every other game in the series.

Top Bottom