• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Tsunamo

They need to fix some of the animations, there's stuff like Sephiroths meteor that goes at at double the speed of the originals. If they fixup a few animations and bugs then it'd be a great port, but other than that and the save bug it works great. I can't go back to 30, it's so smooth and fast in 60fps (or 1 is, haven't got the rest yet)

I beat Halloween Town in about 30 minutes, i'm still trying to wrap my head around that. Everytime folks popped out of my stream i'd be on another new world and everyone couldn't get over how quick I was done with it, it makes the game so much quicker.

But forget that what really matters is 60fps minigames in 1.
If I were to guess, it's about the cutscenes staying at 30fps. Can't say a game has full 60fps if half of it is spent in 30, right?

Which is weird because no one I recall knocked DDD HD for being "not true 60fps".
I'm not sure if the cutscenes are in 30fps or 60fps, but they're definitely sped up from what they were in the original releases. It feels a bit awkward because it doesn't really matchup with the pacing of the scenes, should have kept it as it was before.
The Kingdom Hearts Orchestra's songs got uploaded. Here's one from 0.2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdJ2QNvHMYQ
Thanks for this. I really wish the orcestra was coming to Australia :(

aravuus

Don't know about you but on emulation the 60fps cutscenes made the game look even better. It's a shame they decide to cap it especially since cutscenes are one of the more stable aspect of 60fps besides the subtitle timing (which is easily fixable)

Oh, they did? Didn't remember, it's been a while since I've played KH2 emulated @60fps.

I'm just trying to stay optimistic and believe it won't be an awful hack job lol. Maybe most of it will be fixed by the time I actually get around to playing them. Hopefully.

Come on guys, these games were not made for 60fps. And the fact that these are buggier than the original remasters is a disgrace. How is that even possible? Do you just lap up anything 60fps? How shallow.

Idk shit about unchained chi or cross or whatever but Just saw a trailer and more of the true main character is a good thing

Not unless that main character wasn't supposed to exist in that era :<

Here comes the "Ventus is actually super old, and super more important than you already thought" twist

Tsunamo

The games in 60fps are nice (just finished up KH Final Mix) they just really should have put more time into adjusting it where needed. There's some bosses that just do not work at all with it and it comes across as a bit of a rush job at times with minimum testing to see how it would work.

Fingers crossed for a patch or the English version to sortout some of the issues present, because ignoring that 60fps KH is really lovely, especially with almost no loadtimes.
Here comes the "Ventus is actually super old, and super more important than you already thought" twist
The master of master gave him the tome of prophecys and said he needs to survive into the next world, so yep it's happening.

It falls in line with Birth By Sleep and explains a few things, but I really don't like Nomura doing this again. First we have timetravel and now we have going back even further into the past and lord knows what they're setting up with the master of masters. We'll see how it turnsout, but I feelike Chi actually ended on a really nice note. The
War ended and you had a sad goodbye and death that was quite emotional ignoring the secret endingl

I don't think doing stuff like this is such a bad thing, but I feelike Nomura adds more and more onto the overall plot again and again, and it just makes it even more of a clusterfuck. For reference though I had no gripes with BBS's and 0.2's plot. I think it's more about the way it's handled and how it comes across, which at times Nomura doesn't do so well. Most folks who didn't play Chi enjoyed watching Backcover, but I think people took issues with that it didn't really resolve/colcude anything properly and added more mysterys

The games in 60fps are nice (just finished up KH Final Mix) they just really should have put more time into adjusting it where needed. There's some bosses that just do not work at all with it and it comes across as a bit of a rush job at times with minimum testing to see how it would work.

Any examples of botched bosses from KH1?

Tsunamo

Any examples of botched bosses from KH1?
Only one off of the top of my head that comes to mind is Ursula 2 honestly. She's not really botched, but I do feel they should have slowed her pattern down a tiny bit to compensate. I haven't attempted the secret bosses yet though, but other than that it's been fine.

There's a few examples like that final rush at the end of the world where if Donald and Goofy are dead the enemy waves will completely gang up on Sora and there's not oppurtunity whatsoever to counter it in 60fps. You could heal or cast aero, but the game just wont give you the oppurtunity to before you get hit and hit again until you die. It probably wouldn't have happened in the original as often and where they probably should have made some adjustments.

Riku 2 I honestly found to be the easiest he's ever been, but I did manage to skip his final phase so that might be why I found him so easy.

Haven't attempted the secret bosses yet but I've seen that sephiroths meteor is 2x as fast. But yeah in all honesty minus a couple of encounters where the 60fps really screws you over where 30fps wouldn't its been great. I haven't run into any save or freeze bugs in 1 Final Mix either.

Played on Proud, if that matters. But you can definitely tell there's a couple of induvidual segments where they should have adjusted how fast enemys attack so it's not unfair and the 60fps doesn't screw you over, but other than that i've had barely any issues with it and i'm quite enjoying it at that framerate. The only thing that's actually griping me is the cutscenes going really fast which screws with the pacing and looks out of place, will be interesting to see how it is in English.

Will report back on the secret bosses when i've attempted them,.

I don't think that is particularly brutal. Only meteor you need to worry about is the one at the edge and even Bizkit dodged it 3 times out of 4 without knowing the new rythm.

Once you're high enough in level that you've got Second Chance and Leaf Bracer, nothing Sephiroth does is really that dangerous outside of Heartless Angel, tbh, and that's even with Final Mix's nerfed MP Rage.

Curious to see whether the Heartless Angel animation completes more quickly now, though. THAT much could be pretty dangerous.

Tsunamo

This genuinely is a worry. I was doing end-game 1 and no enemys at all spawned in atlantica. If that wasn't a one off bug then yeah that's a real worry. That's a huge bug unless it's fixed by a reboot.

Quick boss impressions from 1, Sephiroths pattern is way harder due to 60fps for me, so hard to get a combo in then dodge, probably one of the bosses they should have adjusted the speed of a bit.

Kurt Zisas battle is as fun as ever and the 60fps makes it even more fun and intense. Haven't tried Phantom yet and died to Xemnas in one hit.

Re:CoM in 60fps is great, game feels like it was designed for it honestly. Big improvedment.
What do you mean? In what way are they fast?
Re:CoM seems fine, but the cutscenes in 1 have the characters talking fast (or it sounds like it) and they definitely are sped up. People are saying they're not 60fps so i'm not sure if they made them go 2x faster to keepup with the faster nature of the rest of the game.

Easier to show it rather than tell:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/127477749

Just pick a cutscene and you'll notice it.
Can we agree that putting canon lines in the concert is the worst?
It's not the first time Nomuras done this either, we got that dialog between Terra and Namine before.

but the cutscenes in 1 have the characters talking fast (or it sounds like it) and they definitely are sped up. People are saying they're not 60fps so i'm not sure if they made them go 2x faster to keepup with the faster nature of the rest of the game.

Easier to show it rather than tell:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/127477749

Just pick a cutscene and you'll notice it.

I don't. If it was 2X it would sound ridicilous. Granted I'm not used to JP cutscenes but seems to me the voices are correct pitch and cutscenes don't seem any shorter.

Azerare

So I just finished my playthrouvh of dream drop hd. I caught on to a lot more stuff I glazed over in the 3ds version.

But
does Xehanort knowing about a lot of the events mean he may have the book of prophecies?

It's at least what I think of it but I wanted to hear everyone else's thoughts.

zeemumu

So I just finished my playthrouvh of dream drop hd. I caught on to a lot more stuff I glazed over in the 3ds version.

But
does Xehanort knowing about a lot of the events mean he may have the book of prophecies?

It's at least what I think of it but I wanted to hear everyone else's thoughts.

Maybe. I always thought he just holed up in his master's library and studied. But then again
Maleficent has one (or at least knew about it through Xehanort
So maybe

Tsunamo

I assumed that's what Malyse was talking about, unless there's now more lines.
There's dialog between
Lea and Kairi now. Along with Xion saying something, seems like they're at least hinting at people remembering her in 3.
http://kh13.com/news/exclusive-cano...-kingdom-hearts-orchestra-world-tour-in-japan
I don't. If it was 2X it would sound ridicilous. Granted I'm not used to JP cutscenes but seems to me the voices are correct pitch and cutscenes don't seem any shorter.
It just feels off/fast to me. It has been awhile since I played the Japanese version of 1 though, so it might just be my imagination. We'll findout in the English version I guess.

Famassu

Sooo, basically Kairi is just writing to Sora about training with Lea & Yensid and says something that implies Kairi wakes up some vague Xion-related feelings/thoughts in Lea that he can't quite understand since he doesn't really remember her due to the whole thing in Days with Xion's being & all memories of her disappearing.

Once again no reason to get any panties in a bunch for just because it is "canon". Nothing that can't be brought up in a discussion in KHIII proper when Sora, Kairi and/or Lea meet again and discuss about their training or something and gotten over with in about 5-10 seconds.

The Xion stuff isn't even worth mentioning. There's nothing in there that wasn't pretty much said in Days already. Basically "OMG I has such fun times with U guys, I wish I didn't, like, die and we could go back to those days of sea salt ice cream and talking shit"

The real takeaway from that is that kairi and lea are basically in the kh version of the hyperbolic time chamber thx to Merlin. Kairi about to catch up to those two scrubs in no time

DKHF

In a Famitsu interview (mostly about the concerts) posted today Nomura said the events Kairi talks about will be in KHIII itself. People unaware of this concert dialogue won't be missing much at all there.

In a Famitsu interview (mostly about the concerts) posted today Nomura said the events Kairi talks about will be in KHIII itself. People unaware of this concert dialogue won't be missing much at all there.
Kairi playable tutorial confirmed!! O it's a dream come true

Plz happen

Less than a week of winter left, better hurry up Nomura!

"Now that winter is almost coming to a close here in Japan, I have a big announcement!

We are moving development of KHIII to our partners in Australia, to further extend the winter season and deadline.

Come to our new Australia studios, and look behind our water cooler to discover a piece of paper stuck to the wall with my personal chewing gum that contains writing that is canon to the series."

And Nomura's. I asked him and he said "Ven's a shit, I hate him. Only character in fiction worst than Ven is Sanji from One Piece. Fuck that guy."
tumblr_ngaddqu7SM1sfheoko1_500.gif

Yeah, Ven, Sora, and Aqua control like hot garbage. Would rather replay Atlantica than accept their control schemes as good.

King Terra has the best control scheme. All hail :V

This gotta be a joke

Nuhuh, I'm just dropping truth bombs on all y'all

Also, Dream Eaters are better partners than Donald and Goofy, Luxord is the best Org XIII member, Xion is the worst part of 358 Days, and Nomura is actually the most coherent story teller in fiction today and the most efficient producer gaming has ever had.

Truth, everyone.

In terms of best abilities/movement options, etc.

KHII Sora > BBS & 0.2 Aqua > KH3D Riku > Everyone else

BBS Aqua is great not just because she's a walking nuke come endgame but also because she has some of the best defensive options in the entire series. Barrier and it's counterattack cover her from all angles. Doubleflight isn't quite Aerial Dodge, but still a decent double jump option, and Teleport is probably one of the single coolest abilities in the series. Helps that it's relatively fast and she can act out of it pretty fast. 0.2 Aqua nixes Teleport but lets her a) seamlessly weave magic into and out of her melee KHII style (and retain her momentum) and b) get a lot more options out of her guard, including being able to immediately jump cancel it into an attack.

KH3D Riku is kinda like BBS Aqua, but with a slightly more awkward version of Teleport in Shadow Slide, an OP but cool evasive technique with Dark Roll, and most importantly, being able to perform all of his commands in the air. That's not even going into the added mobility from Flowmotion.

And then KHII Sora's at the top of the food chain for reasons already discussed to death in this thread already. We'd be lucky if KHIII Sora even approached how well thought out KHII Sora is from a mechanical standpoint.

Tsunamo

Re:CoM in 60fps is great (though some of the card duels are harder in Riku mode due to less time)

Feels like the game was built around that, because it's perfect with it.

Top Bottom