• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

I see where the guy is coming from with the Days complaints, I wasn't really expecting much anyway but not even showing Saix trying to stop Roxas from leaving is a bit too lazy. The same goes for Xion.

Astarte

I see where the guy is coming from with the Days complaints, I wasn't really expecting much anyway but not even showing Saix trying to stop Roxas from leaving is a bit too lazy. The same goes for Xion.

Iunno, Days is pretty fun with friends. But then again, what isn't?

botty

Banned

what have you guys done to youngblade. my heart...it aches.

what have you guys done to youngblade. my heart...it aches.

Either peer pressure or he is finally gaining at least some sense into him!

Maybe you too someday Botty!

Just look at his top KH list:
After giving it much thought here's my KH list:

1.Kingdom Hearts 2
2.Kingdom Hearts
3.Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep
4.Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
5.Kingdom Hearts RE:CoM
6.Kingdom Hearts RE:Coded
*Haven't played DDD yet so idk about that
I bet he wanted to put Days on nr.1 spot so bad :(

botty

Banned
Either peer pressure or he is finally gaining at least some sense into him!

Maybe you too someday Botty!

Just look at his top KH list:

I bet he wanted to put Days on nr.1 spot so bad :(

OMG... Beneath birth by sleep. A travesty!

Ah, but at least he puts Kingdom Hearts 2 where it belongs so all hope is not yet lost.

Okay, honestly, I believe Days deserved to be more than what it ended up being.

To me, it felt like it was more than just a little side game. This game explains who Roxas is, why he was part of the Organization, and what his relationship with Axel and the other Organization members was. In KH 2, some members of the Org asked Roxas to come back, and Xigbar even laughs when he sees Sora's frown because he remembers Roxas. But the one who missed him the most was Axel. In Days, you see why Axel cares for Roxas as much as he does. Axel was the dude that taught Roxas what a friend was and proceeded to become good friends with him presumably because Roxas reminds Axel of Ventus. You see them become very good friends through the game but it all goes to shit.

I believe Days had an ok story, I mean, if people can like CoM's story then you can't say that Days was as bad as people make it out to be. Sure, there where MANY Ice cream scenes, but the story of the worlds in CoM was pretty much the same shit as KH 1. Plus, the ice cream scenes stood for something, they represented Roxas becoming friends with Xion and Axel because to Roxas being friends means eating ice cream together, he even says this in the game.

Days in my opinion had so much potential. The Slot system could have been fleshed out even more, the new Keyblades could have been more than just mostly Recolors, using the rest of Organization XIII could have been a way much better thing, because using Demyx or Marluxia or whoever seems like such an awesome thing but it's execution was pretty much terrible. The worlds could have been more than what they were if the Mission system had more variety. The missions could have worked if they weren't pretty much the same shit in every world.

So I guess I'm just going to say it, Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days deserved to be on the PSP with KH BBS levels of production values, not on limited DS hardware. It could have achieved it's full potential, it could have been a great game instead of an okay one that only a few fans like.

/rant i guess

botty

Banned
I agree with most of that, but I'd like to mention that I think Roxas was the catalyst for Axel learning what friendship was, and not the other way around. Let's not forget that Axel already had a friendship with Saïx, and so it wasn't until Roxas came along did he feel as if he had a heart........though this was probably retconned in dream drop diarrhea.

or maybe they learn friendship from each other. :'(

FSLink

Banned
It would also be better if I ever gave a fuck about Roxas and Axel. >_>
Having okay to abysmal gameplay elements at times didn't help. I do agree it would have been better on PSP at least.

I do *agree*, yeah - it looks to me like the plot's gonna be kinda disjointed in a number of ways, may not fully include the Saix/Axel subplot, and so on. The game's Heartless battles are all pretty arbitrarily thrown in, so I don't really mind that they're not showing fight scenes for those, but agreed, the transition between the beginning and end of the Xion battle is extremely awkward.

The friendship between boys... almost makes me jealous

Oh god there are some really bad lines in BBS. I need to know if I should blame the writer or translator. KH1 supposedly ''should'' be the most ''childish'' game of the series but man it has by far the best dialogue. Even the cheesy parts are done relatively well.

Tsunamo

I finally did it!

I finally managed to get all of Soras Re:CoM cards and get him to level 99. Now to do two more playthroughs, make 300 floors, spend 20,000 moogle points and get all of Rikus cards. Whoever made the platinum requirements has a cruel sense of humor, I can only imagine what Birth By Sleeps requirements will be like.

Oh god there are some really bad lines in BBS. I need to know if I should blame the writer or translator. KH1 supposedly ''should'' be the most ''childish'' game of the series but man it has by far the best dialogue. Even the cheesy parts are done relatively well.
Blame the writer, that's exactly what she says:
男 同士 の 友情。。。
少し だけ 羨ましい ですね

I finally did it!

I finally managed to get all of Soras Re:CoM cards and get him to level 99. Now to do two more playthroughs, make 300 floors, spend 20,000 moogle points and get all of Rikus cards. Whoever made the platinum requirements has a cruel sense of humor, I can only imagine what Birth By Sleeps requirements will be like.

Umm yeah I am not going to Platinum KH 1.5 if it requires stuff like Three playthroughs of RE:CoM.

Umm yeah I am not going to Platinum KH 1.5 if it requires stuff like Three playthroughs of RE:CoM.

It has separate platinums for Final Mix and Re:CoM. Days obviously doesn't have platinum but it has it's separate trophy list too.

Tho even with Final Mix you need to have 3 playthroughs since at least in the japanese version for whatever reason the difficulty trophies do not stack. That and you'd probably want to do separate playthroughs for stuff like speedrun/no equip change/no dying. Luckily you can skip the cutscenes and KH1 is quite short game if you skip cutscenes and the skippable worlds (Monstro, Atlantica, Coliseum, Winnie)

Psxphile

he friendship between boys... almost makes me jealous

Blame the writer, that's exactly what she says:

Let me take a stab at it:

The bonds between men... sometimes I envy them.

Trying to imagine Aqua's VA repeating the line to gauge how it'd sound... I figure delivery is just as important as the reading. Is this something Aqua would say in this context? Does it sound natural and/or does it match her character traits to speak like that?

Anyways, yes: for the most part the VA direction in the Kingdom Hearts series has suffered a bit since the stellar first game. It's hard to pinpoint if it's the script itself, the localization effort, or the voice director not putting any thought into how the characters should "sound".

Though of all the complaints levied at DDD, I've yet to see one that faults the english dub. Seems like they managed to up the quality enough to where it gel-ed favorably.

Tenrius

Does anybody else cringe every time Sora says "We are the chaaamps!!!" in KH1? What a horribly failed piece of voice acting.

Okay, honestly, I believe Days deserved to be more than what it ended up being.

To me, it felt like it was more than just a little side game. This game explains who Roxas is, why he was part of the Organization, and what his relationship with Axel and the other Organization members was. In KH 2, some members of the Org asked Roxas to come back, and Xigbar even laughs when he sees Sora's frown because he remembers Roxas. But the one who missed him the most was Axel. In Days, you see why Axel cares for Roxas as much as he does. Axel was the dude that taught Roxas what a friend was and proceeded to become good friends with him presumably because Roxas reminds Axel of Ventus. You see them become very good friends through the game but it all goes to shit.

I believe Days had an ok story, I mean, if people can like CoM's story then you can't say that Days was as bad as people make it out to be. Sure, there where MANY Ice cream scenes, but the story of the worlds in CoM was pretty much the same shit as KH 1. Plus, the ice cream scenes stood for something, they represented Roxas becoming friends with Xion and Axel because to Roxas being friends means eating ice cream together, he even says this in the game.
One word: Xion.

If she hadn't been the entire game's plot point, I would have enjoyed the game much more. But no, she's just another character thrown into the mix because of Nomura's obsession with having a boy-girl-boy trio at every turn.

I agree with most of what you say, but seeing as Xion was about 40% the game was made, I can't in good conscience say that Days had a good story.

I admit, when I first saw that Org XIII had a 14th member, I was hyped, then when I actually saw what she had to offer and was like, "Meh. Why is she here again?" Then comes the time to make her a pivotal character, and what do they do? Connect her to Sora in some BS fashion that honestly makes little sense to me in the grand scheme of things. She's a plot device INSIDE of another plot device.

But I digress, while days added a minuscule bit of info to the lore, other than showing Axel and Roxas get their bromance on and confirming Saix's true name, the game did absolutely nothing else.

Psxphile

But no, she's just another character thrown into the mix because of Nomura's obsession with having a boy-girl-boy trio at every turn.

m4R7H4b.jpg

Not every turn.

Tsunamo

Difficulty trophies in the collection don't stack, so you need to do KH1 three times too. But that's not the problem. Gummi ship and level/card grinding are the problems.
Yeah agreed. The difficulty trophys aren't that much of a bother for the original because you're probably going have to do at least two playthroughs for the basic equipment run along with beating the game in under 15 hours. In Re:CoM it's more of a pain because you have not too many reasons to replay it two times, but in the grand scheme of things the Gummi Ship missions along with the Card Grinding (which ended up taking my total Re:CoM playtime up to about 50 hours on proud with Sora) are much more annoying/harder to do, especially when the enemy card grinding has a huge element of luck to it.
Does anybody else cringe every time Sora says "We are the chaaamps!!!" in KH1? What a horribly failed piece of voice acting.
I liked it, but I'm a sucker for dialog like that.
Who will I have Ice-Cream with is where I draw the line though

Difficulty trophies in the collection don't stack, so you need to do KH1 three times too. But that's not the problem. Gummi ship and level/card grinding are the problems.

Wait, difficulty trophies don't stack? wat
Yeah agreed. The difficulty trophys aren't that much of a bother for the original because you're probably going have to do at least two playthroughs for the basic equipment run along with beating the game in under 15 hours. In Re:CoM it's more of a pain because you have not too many reasons to replay it two times, but in the grand scheme of things the Gummi Ship missions along with the Card Grinding (which ended up taking my total Re:CoM playtime up to about 50 hours on proud with Sora) are much more annoying/harder to do, especially when the enemy card grinding has a huge element of luck to it.
Yeah, grinding for cards, for level 99, and for Enemy Cards is going to be intensely annoying, sigh.

At least Riku's a bit easier to get level 99 with with his final ridiculously powerful deck. But on the other hand, SO MONOTONOUS.

So, I was just wandering around Amazon looking for things to buy for no good reason when I stumbled upon the preorder offer for KH 1.5 Remix.
I don't know if this has been discussed yet, it probably has, but I took one look at the cover and thought of only one thing!

61lwwoHnzwL._SX385_.jpg

Can you guess of what I thought of? I shall put it in the spoilers below, but I want to know if anyone had the same instant thought as I did.

Is this cover art a nod to the Game of Thrones series/books?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember seeing or hearing about a throne made entirely out of keyblades in the KH universe...

Personally, I think this is awesome cover art and I have no complaints about it.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Nomura was GOT fan and it was a nod to it. Nobody has asked about it in interviews AFAIK tho. Especially with that black colour scheme.

botty

Banned
Wouldn't be surprised. Much like game of thrones, there are a ton of characters with interwoven storylines that confuses its casual audience, yet compels its hardcore fans.

Psxphile

That was one of the first things that was noticed when the artwork was first shown months ago. I'm glad we're getting the same cover here... though when it comes to KH we've always gotten the same covers as Japan so it's probably foolish to think they'd stop now.

aravuus

Incredible, I never noticed it. Even when you particularly said it reminds you of something. I must be going blind.

Very good looking cover nonetheless.

Tsunamo

I always thought it was just a throwback/revision to/of this artwork
images

But I've never watched Game of Thrones or seen any of the promo material for it, so it might also be a nod to it.
Why YoungBlade why?
At least Riku's a bit easier to get level 99 with with his final ridiculously powerful deck. But on the other hand, SO MONOTONOUS.
Yeah, by the time I got Riku to level 99 I knew Castle Oblivions enemy spawns along with cards inside and out because of how much I used room cards. (Teeming Darkness in particular) Playing around with Rikus final deck was good fun for awhile though.

.Yeah, by the time I got Riku to level 99 I knew Castle Oblivions enemy spawns along with cards inside and out because of how much I used room cards. (Teeming Darkness in particular) Playing around with Rikus final deck was good fun for awhile though.

At least grinding for Enemy Cards gives you, like, some tiny amount of variety.

Tenrius

Well, it's time to start Re:Chain of Memories. What's up with Sora's VA sounding way older? I guess that's just how it is after KH1, right?

Let me take a stab at it:

Trying to imagine Aqua's VA repeating the line to gauge how it'd sound... I figure delivery is just as important as the reading. Is this something Aqua would say in this context? Does it sound natural and/or does it match her character traits to speak like that?

Anyways, yes: for the most part the VA direction in the Kingdom Hearts series has suffered a bit since the stellar first game. It's hard to pinpoint if it's the script itself, the localization effort, or the voice director not putting any thought into how the characters should "sound".

Though of all the complaints levied at DDD, I've yet to see one that faults the english dub. Seems like they managed to up the quality enough to where it gel-ed favorably.

The problem with Aqua in English is they got "Slurry" from Arrow to voice her.
Despite having a good voice she slurs all the dang time, its even a running joke in the Arrow thread.
She got better about it later but when I started a playthrough, I quickly recognized it was her. And its actually worse than it ever was on the show.
I almost can't take anything she says seriously.(though I like the voice alot)

hadn't really had much problem with others in the series though.

Tsunamo

At least grinding for Enemy Cards gives you, like, some tiny amount of variety.
I'm beginning to wonder why they put those trophys in as requirements in the firstplace. There's little purpose to getting to level 99 because by the time you're done chances are almost everything else you could use the high level for will be completed. But yeah, at least Sora's got a bit of variety in having to farm enemy cards.
I'd hope so since that would mean there is a very good chance every clone will be killed off.
I'd be okay with this. I'm really hoping the new trilogy kind of starts from scratch like the original did (or at least as much as possible), but that's kind of hard given Sora will probably still be the star after III and how many characters have been introduced in the series.
The point is the change of the throne.

Here is the Iron Throne from GOT:
In that case yeah, it probably is a GOT reference.
Well, it's time to start Re:Chain of Memories. What's up with Sora's VA sounding way older? I guess that's just how it is after KH1, right?
This caught me off guard aswell on my original Re:CoM playthrough. I knew about the issue of the game being dubbed years after the original, but it was still extremely weird after the original Chain of Memorys reusing Soras battle lines from the original Kingdom Hearts.

I'm beginning to wonder why they put those trophys in as requirements in the firstplace. There's little purpose to getting to level 99 because by the time you're done chances are almost everything else you could use the high level for will be completed. But yeah, at least Sora's got a bit of variety in having to farm enemy cards.

On the other hand, at least Riku gets to upgrade his Strength stat while leveling up, so the leveling can go quickly enough. But Sora's got Megaflare for leveling with.

Top Bottom