• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Given that the most recent trailer was 100% about KH1:FM, I guess there's an implication that there'll be individual trailers for RE:CoM and the 358/2 Days theatre mode soon.

I'm replaying Kingdom Hearts 3D right now (trying to replay the ones I have before 1.5 next month) and I swear, the treasure chest placement in this game is just AWFUL.
I remember having to look at a guide to find most of them the first time around, but seriously! In KH2 they were all in painfully obvious places and here they're in places you'd NEVER go half the time. :( (like some random roof-top completely out of the way in Traverse Town... or some obscure platform way high up in the post office...)

BbS was at least some sort of happy-medium of the two...

McNum

How did Sora and Riku go to the Sleeping Worlds in 3D, anyway? Did they use the time travel thing to travel back in time to when Destiny Island got swallowed by the darkness and hitch a ride with it as it went or something like that?

I mean they were both there, so if they needed a way to get to where devoured worlds that hadn't been restored went, it'd probably be the simplest way. Well, in this case "simple" includes time travel, so... not so simple.

I'm replaying Kingdom Hearts 3D right now (trying to replay the ones I have before 1.5 next month) and I swear, the treasure chest placement in this game is just AWFUL.
I remember having to look at a guide to find most of them the first time around, but seriously! In KH2 they were all in painfully obvious places and here they're in places you'd NEVER go half the time. :( (like some random roof-top completely out of the way in Traverse Town... or some obscure platform way high up in the post office...)

BbS was at least some sort of happy-medium of the two...
Yeah, 3D's level design is kinda the pits (and BBS's was great, if seriously straightforward - there was little exploration but it had great action-game level design).

botty

Banned
Looking for treasure in BbS was really fun. All those well hidden treasure chests in Disney Town and Stich's world.

tumblr_mratinZHc11rku80no1_250.gif
tumblr_mratinZHc11rku80no2_250.gif

I never noticed this .-.

Yeah, 3D's level design is kinda the pits (and BBS's was great, if seriously straightforward - there was little exploration but it had great action-game level design).

It's ridiculous because you have these spots where it serves absolutely no purpose except for there to be a treasure there (usually an entirely useless one at that!)
Like spot #15 on this map right here.

It sucks 'cause there's some really cool maps here (like the Graveyard, Catacombs, Court of Miracles) but then there's some REALLY bad ones... like the rest of that world.

Looking for treasure in BbS was really fun. All those well hidden treasure chests in Disney Town and Stich's world.

I know, I loved looking for them. Though some of the ones in Disney Town made me mad cause I kept falling down and having to go all the way back up hahaha

Few lil things that I noticed recently:

First one probably all but me already knows. One Winged Angel keyblade is actually a katana! I never noticed that, I only kept seeing the flaming meteor at the end and the wing keychain :d.
txL1QmK.png

Second one: Isa/Saix eye colour has changed twice. In KH2/Days his eyes are yellow like Braig/Xigbar and in DDD his eyes are dark amber like MX/Ansem.

The ''Kingdom Shader'' type of thing has been used in three worlds in KH2 but I never really appreciated how detailed it is. Not only are the obvious character model and heartless model changes but all the weapons of every character, and even visiting NPC like Maleficent in HWTown have different models.

7pdIa3T.png
UXCwWpN.png
tGEOOZx.png

I haven't posted in here in a while, is Remix out yet?
Just over a month for us euro peasants. Doesn't the time just FLY huh?
AfDCDec.gif

Few lil things that I noticed recently:

First one probably all but me already knows. One Winged Angel keyblade is actually a katana! I never noticed that, I only kept seeing the flaming meteor at the end and the wing keychain :d.
txL1QmK.png

It's kind of a bummer that so many of the cool but non-Disney-specific Keyblades don't make a comeback from one game to the next. Although I guess it's too early to say that for sure (but Oblivion and Oathkeeper didn't appear in KH3D).

We are finally getting close to the release! Got myself into a bit of KH mood by completing Ducktales Remastered :3. Man Magica De Spell would be really good villain in KH universe (tho I might be a tad biased since she is my favourite villain from duck comics and Ducktales TV show). We got Beagle Boys already and I am glad since those are the most iconic duck universe villains even tho they were in a little different sircumstances and costumes than usual. Glomgold I would definately leave out of KH tho since Scrooge has extremely small role in the games and that villain really wouldn't work without him.

I have never played a KH game but I watched this video on IGN and it looks pretty cool, so I figure I may get this once it comes out. I assume this is a good starting spot for someone who is new to the series?

It's the best spot to start since the KH1 included has bonus stuff only included in a japan only release before this and a better camera control. That and the obvious HD treatment.

McNum

Also it's the first game in the series, so you don't need to know anything about who's who and what has happened so far, because you start off from the very beginning.

Hmm in that IGN video he comments that the VA doesn't match the lip synch very well... I hope he means the fishmouth models instead of SE fuckin it up (again).

Just beat Dream Drop Distance. Those final bosses were pretty annoying to me. The best strategy seemed to be to roll around randomly since they had almost zero telegraphing on their attacks.
Also some weird ass shit like the time limit on Young Xehanort's clock and basically losing if you take the final final boss's health to zero when your health isn't near max.

Plot Spoilers

I didn't play Birth by Sleep but the story has gotten really contrived and convoluted. KH3 seemed like it would be simple. Fight Xehanort's Heartless in KH1. Fight Xehanort's Nobody in KH2. Then fight Xehanort himself, newly reformed by Sora's killing of his two parts, in KH3 to wrap things up. Now we can assume that his Heartless and Xemnas and those other dead guys will be rehashed yet again thanks to some time travel fuckery I've read long tomes on but still don't quite understand. The time travel concept itself was pulled out of nowhere with a seemingly infinite amount of fine print. And I'm wondering why an old character like YenSid or Mickey can't just time travel back to tell their past selves to kill Xehanort before he does anything. Or time travel back to give the gift of time travel to their past selves so that their past selves can time travel into the future and kill Xehanort there or oh god why make it stop

edit - and at least get
Billy Zane back for Ansem
in KH3. square pls

TheMink

Yeah DDDs bosses are very odd.

I really hope they go back to KHII design for their bosses. Wth is up with the zero hitstun? It basically becomes block->reposte block->reposte block->reposte block->reposte->win with humanoid enemies.
Lame.

Ill just chalk it up to it being a handheld with limited AI possibilities.

If there is one thing KH2 can't be blamed for it is the way it handles bosses. KH2FM has tons of bosses with tons of variety. I don't think there is a single boss I don't like in that game. They might not be top tier when it comes to vidyagames but the sheer amount and just the fun way they are designed is great.

Something like (just a random example) Pete bossfight at the Timeless River is very basic but the presentation is just so fun.

Enfinit

If there is one thing KH2 can't be blamed for it is the way it handles bosses. KH2FM has tons of bosses with tons of variety. I don't think there is a single boss I don't like in that game. They might not be top tier when it comes to vidyagames but the sheer amount and just the fun way they are designed is great.

Something like (just a random example) Pete bossfight at the Timeless River is very basic but the presentation is just so fun.

Agreed. All of the boss encounters were fun for me in KHII. I really, really enjoyed the variety more than anything, and one thing I found awesome was the fact that there are a number of "secret" bosses that are totally optional to fight. If you don't want to fight them, cool. If you're bored or looking for an added challenge for fun, here's a couple harder bosses to fight. I always liked that option.

Yeah DDDs bosses are very odd.

I really hope they go back to KHII design for their bosses. Wth is up with the zero hitstun? It basically becomes block->reposte block->reposte block->reposte block->reposte->win with humanoid enemies.
Lame.

Even spamming block didn't feel foolproof to me. Maybe I'm crazy but for the life of me, I just could not block the final boss's
(Armored Ventus)
basic physical combos. It just didn't work.

DDD breaks like every action game design rule. No hitstun on enemies (though fucking
Young Xehanort
gets stunlocked like a bitch for god knows why), poor-to-no telegraphing on their attacks, can't cancel out of attacking into a block, strange trial and error stuff out of nowhere, and blocking in general requires some combination of memorization, guesswork, and spamming.

I hope DD's combat designers stay the hell away from KH3.

The writers too. I haven't played a KH game since KH2 so correct me if its always been this way.
DDD's writing is the most non-subtle I think I've ever seen. There a scene late in the game. Riku walks up to a sleeping Sora and says something to the effect of "Sora's sleeping.". No fucking shit. Then he gets swallowed into the floor by darkness. He clearly struggles but can't get away. "I can't get out!", he says. Again, no fucking shit. It feels like the dialogue is written for an Early Childhood-rated game.

Some weird tonal stuff too. Again, late in the game,
Riku is trying to reach Sora in the Organization's castle under a desperate context. Yet, we have to have a cute scene with jovial music and colorful dream eaters which sucks all of the tension out of the scenario.
WTF.

Haven't been this negative about a game in a long time.

Even spamming block didn't feel foolproof to me. Maybe I'm crazy but for the life of me, I just could not block the final boss's
(Armored Ventus)

DDD breaks like every action game design rule. No hitstun on enemies (though fucking
Young Xehanort
gets stunlocked like a bitch for god knows why), poor-to-no telegraphing on their attacks, can't cancel out of attacking into a block, strange trial and error stuff out of nowhere, and blocking in general requires some combination of memorization, guesswork, and spamming.

The writers too. I haven't played a KH game since KH2 so correct me if its always been this way.
DDD's writing is the most non-subtle I think I've ever seen. There a scene late in the game. Riku walks up to a sleeping Sora and says something to the effect of "Sora's sleeping.". No fucking shit. Then he gets swallowed into the floor by darkness. He clearly struggles but can't get away. "I can't get out!", he says. Again, no fucking shit. It feels like the dialogue is written for an Early Childhood-rated game.

Riku is trying to reach Sora in the Organization's castle under a desperate context. Yet, we have to have a cute scene with jovial music and colorful dream eaters which sucks all of the tension out of the scenario.
WTF.

Play Days next!

Tenrius

So he talks about how the last boss is really difficult. I remember all of the last bits being really easy compared to a lot of the earlier stuff in the game. With the final bits being more tedious than hard.

That's how I felt as well. The last boss doesn't have anything on Riku or Cerberus.

Born-again Kingdom Hearts fan, reporting in. Left the franchise back in 2006 when I couldn't figure out whether or not I liked KH2 (long story, lol), and recently came back when I finally got the chance to borrow someone's PSP to play Birth by Sleep. I felt it was kind of wasted on PSP, but I still enjoyed it and Dream Drop Distance a lot (why does everyone dislike Flowmotion? I thought it kicked ass).

I've been replaying through the original KH in preparation for the HD release, and...yeah, the game hasn't held up *that* well (those cutscenes are really awkward) but like someone else said earlier it really hits its stride very late into the game. Looking forward to the rerelease (especially since I haven't played the COM remake), but I'm not too crazy about the rearranged music...

Also, Toy Story for KH3 or bust.

I actually saw this being advertised in my local EB in Australia. Was kinda surprised but was good to see and definitely got me pumped to jump back into the series. Especially because we never got Final Mix over here!

Born-again Kingdom Hearts fan, reporting in. Left the franchise back in 2006 when I couldn't figure out whether or not I liked KH2 (long story, lol), and recently came back when I finally got the chance to borrow someone's PSP to play Birth by Sleep. I felt it was kind of wasted on PSP, but I still enjoyed it and Dream Drop Distance a lot (why does everyone dislike Flowmotion? I thought it kicked ass).

Flowmotion was decent, albeit a bit over powered. It got to the point where all you had to do to beat bosses was spam a wall dive or double jump slam. (Not actual names.)

If implemented again, it needs to be somewhat limited, like drives, to prevent over-using them.

TheMink

(Armored Ventus)

Young Xehanort

WTF.

Your not crazy
Ventus, and Young Xehanort
break the rules further with that crap.

Then also people who played on normal or below/didnt play very far think that Flowmotion spamming is just foolproof and impossible to beat.

But we who played on Critical know that 9/10 going into flowmotion is a goddamn death sentence. You cant heal, you can't easily cancel it, you can't dodge roll. Its terrible.

For an improved movement system i hope they just go back to KHII. That was excellent.

Edit:

:lol no offense byronic.

Both BBS and DDD in critical (or DDD proud) were pretty stupidly balanced anyway. It was pretty much get those Once More+Second Chance (and both games have a convoluted methods to gain specific abilities) or be overleveled as fuck or you are simply dead. KH2FM had perhaps the best balance on high difficulty level combined with non-grinding. Haven't played KH1FM Proud tho.

And I finished BBSFM yesterday yet again! I think it is time to put the old dog to rest till the remaster, I am getting a little burned out on the game. I don't think the 3 campaing mode is helpful keeping replays interesting even when you mix the order. A single campaing mode is better for that methinks.

And I also think I came to a realization but I am too afraid to say it out loud ;-;

TheMink

Both BBS and DDD in critical (or DDD proud) were pretty stupidly balanced anyway. It was pretty much get those Once More+Second Chance (and both games have a convoluted methods to gain specific abilities) or be overleveled as fuck or you are simply dead. KH2FM had perhaps the best balance on high difficulty level combined with non-grinding. Haven't played KH1FM Proud tho.

And I finished BBSFM yesterday yet again! I think it is time to put the old dog to rest till the remaster, I am getting a little burned out on the game. I don't think the 3 campaing mode is helpful keeping replays interesting even when you mix the order. A single campaing mode is better for that methinks.

And I also think I came to a realization but I am too afraid to say it out loud ;-;

Yup what you say is true.

Man early hype for KHIIFM+HD!!!!

nplm pls shr wth us

botty

Banned
So I was replaying KH2 the other day, and I got up to the 1,000 Heartless battle. I wonder if Nomura will try to top this with dat next gen hardware.

nplm pls shr wth us

Not for the frail of heart. I might get castrated for this:

I have sworn by my fav KH ranking for a long time: KH1(FM)>KH2FM>BBS(FM)>KH2>DDD>(re)CoM>Days. But as I have really gotten more familiar with BBS and spent a lot of time with the game I have had terrible thoughs that I might have to put it below *gasp* vanilla KH2 thus altering the rankings to KH1(FM)>KH2FM>KH2>BBS(FM)>DDD>(re)CoM>Days
dont kill me

Top Bottom